Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• It'll be interesting if we get the same standard of loan signing without Bowyer, as his/our success with Bielik and Cullen must have been a calling card for the club

Bielik and Cullen in L1,  Gallagher in the Championship were all stand out midfielder loan signings for us, before it all went wrong under ESI.

Bowyer seems to have pulled the same trick with Tahith Chong, who's been a standout player for Birmingham this season.
  • The amount of posts/tweets I have seen saying Sandgaard/Adkins out is just ridiculous.

A man with no former association to Charlton has saved us from extinction and gone on to spend the most on transfer fees in the division and still it isn't enough because we aren't shelling out over 10K per week for a league one player.

We really do risk coming across as an entitled dummy spitting group if we start trying to push TS out after a bad start to the season (4 games into the league season btw).

We had huge support from the footballing world when protesting against awful owners, however we risk looking like united/arsenal fans when screaming we want people out just because we have lost a few games.
    I am afraid supporters of ALL clubs have a strong tendency towards entitlement, e.g. we will continue to be here supporting the club long after you have gone, you need to get your cheque book out etc etc.

I am extremely grateful that TS bought the club from the spivs. Also, buying a club in the midst of the impacts of Covid has hardly helped the club finances!

But boy, he did let his enthusiasm run away with him when he made his comments about PL football and regular European football in 5-8 years back last September (which I guess we all took that with a pinch of salt). But then in May, he doubled down on it by saying they would blow through League 1 this year, having had 9 months to better understand the finances of the club and what it would take to assemble a strong squad for this season.

Hopefully some additional faces will come in before the window closes but TS does need to learn from his mistakes. It seems to me that he needs a partner to share some of the financial burden and perhaps a more streamlined senior management team.
  • The amount of posts/tweets I have seen saying Sandgaard/Adkins out is just ridiculous.

A man with no former association to Charlton has saved us from extinction and gone on to spend the most on transfer fees in the division and still it isn't enough because we aren't shelling out over 10K per week for a league one player.

We really do risk coming across as an entitled dummy spitting group if we start trying to push TS out after a bad start to the season (4 games into the league season btw).

We had huge support from the footballing world when protesting against awful owners, however we risk looking like united/arsenal fans when screaming we want people out just because we have lost a few games.
    Being critical doesn't mean TS or NA out.  It means people are not silly and don't believe the reasons for such a lack of quality after all the ' we are going to tear thus league up ' nonsense. 

It's a shame Thomas said that but it was overexuberant at worse and nothing more than that, he should not be flayed alive for failing to deliver on that, did anyone really believe that anyway, whilst ignoring the realism that he has kept us afloat and will in the long term deliver success, maybe not the Prem bit, personally I couldn't give a flying fig if we don't make the prem in 5 years, Championship is a different case, and should be concentrated on in the immediate future.

• A lot of you could do with letting the “PL and Europe in 5 years” statement go. It was said once. Not a constant repeat. It was said with excitement after a miracle swoop to clear ESI out of our club. 

I’m sure you’ve all said an off the cuff comment once or twice, and doubt that people are still criticising you with it a year later. Understood that recruitment hasn’t been good enough overall in this window, but to constantly be beating Sandgaard down because of one comment, at a time when we were all celebrating as if we’d won the league, is ridiculous. 
    What about the “blow the league out of the water” comment, ignore that one too?
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    The amount of posts/tweets I have seen saying Sandgaard/Adkins out is just ridiculous.

Being critical doesn't mean TS or NA out.  It means people are not silly and don't believe the reasons for such a lack of quality after all the ' we are going to tear thus league up ' nonsense. 

It's a shame Thomas said that but it was overexuberant at worse and nothing more than that, he should not be flayed alive for failing to deliver on that, did anyone really believe that anyway, whilst ignoring the realism that he has kept us afloat and will in the long term deliver success, maybe not the Prem bit, personally I couldn't give a flying fig if we don't make the prem in 5 years, Championship is a different case, and should be concentrated on in the immediate future.

So coming out with a false hood or misleading statement is exuberance ? 
    Then there are too many people since Fat Boy who are 'far too exuberant '.
    He said one thing one time when he was feeling particularly excited/exuberant and probably at the time did actually believe it - with hindsight it was wrong but that's hindsight.

It wasn't a promise, it wasn't a guarantee or a policy statement and people have got to stop taking it so literally. It's genuinely pathetic.
    I think all fans largely took those comments with a pinch of salt but weren’t quite expecting us to be blowing this league out of the water in the opposite direction because of poor recruitment and budget issues. 
  • thenewbie said:
    The amount of posts/tweets I have seen saying Sandgaard/Adkins out is just ridiculous.

So coming out with a false hood or misleading statement is exuberance ? 
    Then there are too many people since Fat Boy who are 'far too exuberant '.
    He said one thing one time when he was feeling particularly excited/exuberant and probably at the time did actually believe it - with hindsight it was wrong but that's hindsight.

It wasn't a promise, it wasn't a guarantee or a policy statement and people have got to stop taking it so literally. It's genuinely pathetic.
    I think all fans largely took those comments with a pinch of salt but weren’t quite expecting us to be blowing this league out of the water in the opposite direction because of poor recruitment and budget issues. 
    Neither was Sandgaard though. There's no denying things have gone wrong but there's no chance at all that our current situation was one he wants or is happy about.
  • Are people really saying Sangaard out??? 

Who the fuck is gonna buy us?!!! Who in their right mind is gonna buy a League One club that doesn’t own it’s ground or training facility and lose money every single month?

The man is OTT sometimes says (and does) some cringey stuff. But that’s what makes him just about mad enough to keep this clubs head above water and allows the vast majority of us to just worry about what’s going on, on the pitch.

The problem is, that it’s those that shout loud and often enough that get heard. I can imagine Twitter is awash with these fucking idiots. I hope TS realises it’s probably a tiny minority.

‘Sandgaard out’……utter c*nts.
    I would like to think,..and hope at the same time that Thomas has more about him than be pursued by a minority of "fans" with this negative tripe, to the point of telling us all to fu*k right off, because we would really be in shite street then.
    He has been a bit OTT yes, but some peoples memories seem very limited, and quickly forget where we were last September when he came in to the great relief of everyone.
  • Addick_8 said:
    Vfrf said:
    For anyone saying they haven’t seen Sandgaard out comments, ITTV has 3 threads on it!!
    ITTV probably has a thread on slating ITTV to be fair..
    It’s the USP to be anti everything 
  • Sponsored links:

• Are people really saying Sangaard out??? 

Who the fuck is gonna buy us?!!! Who in their right mind is gonna buy a League One club that doesn’t own it’s ground or training facility and lose money every single month?

The man is OTT sometimes says (and does) some cringey stuff. But that’s what makes him just about mad enough to keep this clubs head above water and allows the vast majority of us to just worry about what’s going on, on the pitch.

The problem is, that it’s those that shout loud and often enough that get heard. I can imagine Twitter is awash with these fucking idiots. I hope TS realises it’s probably a tiny minority.

‘Sandgaard out’……utter c*nts.
    Got to be covert Palace fans on a wind up Gal, surely even the most divvy of our fan base wouldn't want that. 

I didn't expect the recruitment window we have had. We are no better off for a team to watch and thatbis the point.The majority will not turn up in the dead of winter to watch a team create nothing in the way of a goal in open play in 5 (that is FIVE games). I have a season ticket and I won't be doing that. After so many crap years people are not prepared to pay out for this. 

If the budget is restricted now , it will remain so until extra  'investment' arrives. Grateful as we all are to have a club still,  finding ourselves in a similar boat is unacceptable.  If this was RD and his non budget what would everyone  say . And I am notvsaying that TS is exactly like RD either. 
    I think this is a fair point to discuss.

There may well be an element of praising TS for the money he has put in and spent on transfers. But that wasn’t the case in years gone by.

How would this transfer window have been appraised under RD (forget ESI as that was another level entirely)?

Just focussing on the transfer window bit - and our league one promotion under Bowyer. A team with Taylor, Bielik, Cullen, Aribo, Bauer, Sarr. Compare that to now. 

I remember thinking Bowyer seemed pretty genuine and shocked when he almost held his hands up and said ‘fair play the owner has backed me’. Didn’t stop all the other shite on the side that built up over time but that was an owner on his way out, hated by us (probably mutual!), but still got a team on the pitch to do the job.

Fact remains if RD had funded Clare, Dobson and Taylor Blackett we would all be on rubber dingy’s heading over to Belgium ready to graffiti his home by now.

It is a fair point and a discussion to have*, have said before that it's looking like TS will go down the RD route in regards to transfers and squad - he's said similar in regards to sustainable football clubs, turning a profit etc.

Personally don't have a problem with that - it all comes down to the execution. Roland was absolutely Extreme in how he thought he'd do it, where as Sandgaard seems like he could make it work. We might not see "premier League in 5 years"  but we'll have a stable, sensible club with some solid foundations in place... Then we might just see a 5 year European football plan 😉

* And probably not on the rumours thread.
  • It'll be interesting if we get the same standard of loan signing without Bowyer, as his/our success with Bielik and Cullen must have been a calling card for the club

Bielik and Cullen in L1,  Gallagher in the Championship were all stand out midfielder loan signings for us, before it all went wrong under ESI.

Bowyer seems to have pulled the same trick with Tahith Chong, who's been a standout player for Birmingham this season.
    Yes, good point. He definitely commands respect within the game and other coaches certainly think he’s good for player development. Will Nigel have the same clout?
  • edited August 2021
  • Swisdom said:

As a word of warning @Cover@Covered_End_Lad I used the term "entitlement" yesterday on Twitter in reference to a section of fans and have been mauled for it.  It seems this term is gripping people's shit!

Apparently I am trying to force people to act in a certain way when referencing "entitlement" and, as a sponsor, should know better.

In reality I think we all agree it hasn't been pretty thus far and hasn't been good enough - but I also believe, rightly or wrongly, it will get better.  

as I've said many times "It's never been easy being a Charlton fan - but we all still do it don't we  :|
    Agree 100%. It will get better no doubt about it. Although I have a niggling feeling that there might be a rethink re the management structure in terms of transfers before too long
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!