Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    When you hear of players earning 15k per week in league one that is ridiculous. 
    10k per week is still way too much.
    But if you are serious about getting promotion then I believe 5k should be offered to the players you think are good enough to get you promotion. 
    That's easy for me to say as it's not my money but if your top offer is 3k as I've been told it is then you are going to miss out on your top targets. 
    If that means we miss  out on promotion then it's a false economy in the long-term. 
    True, but we don't know what the offer is or what was being asked. For all we know we ARE offering (for example) Sims 5-6k (which I seem to think is around what Stockley is on) but he's holding out for 10+.

3k sounds very very low and I genuinely can't see people like Gallen or Adkins going along with that knowing they're wasting their time.

I'm also far from convinced that Kirk would move all the way down at a time of personal loss for the sake of 3k.
    Why do you think we are signing the likes of Dobson, Clare and Taylor. 
    None of these will get us promotion but they come cheap. 
    Adkins keeps refering to sticking to a budget  and what with we are signing I believe it's too low 
    Yeah, and I'm sure Kirk, Stockley and McGillivray (and Famewo) are on peanuts...

I think we're offering higher wages to players that the club think are worth it. But I do think that it's very possible that the powers that be have a definition of "worth it" that is more restrictive than it needs to be.
  • thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    But if you are serious about getting promotion then I believe 5k should be offered to the players you think are good enough to get you promotion. 
    That's easy for me to say as it's not my money but if your top offer is 3k as I've been told it is then you are going to miss out on your top targets. 
    If that means we miss  out on promotion then it's a false economy in the long-term. 
    True, but we don't know what the offer is or what was being asked. For all we know we ARE offering (for example) Sims 5-6k (which I seem to think is around what Stockley is on) but he's holding out for 10+.

3k sounds very very low and I genuinely can't see people like Gallen or Adkins going along with that knowing they're wasting their time.

I'm also far from convinced that Kirk would move all the way down at a time of personal loss for the sake of 3k.
    Adkins keeps refering to sticking to a budget  and what with we are signing I believe it's too low 
    Yeah, and I'm sure Kirk, Stockley and McGillivray (and Famewo) are on peanuts...

I think we're offering higher wages to players that the club think are worth it. But I do think that it's very possible that the powers that be have a definition of "worth it" that is more restrictive than it needs to be.
    The transfer window closes soon.
    We shall then find out if we are offering decent wages or not.
    Be prepared to be disappointed and spend another year in league one. 
  • edited August 2021
    I’m not 100% as who knows which websites are true or not these days, but I’ve seen a few say Bannan is on £27k at Wednesday. I know that’s a follow on from a Championship contract, but it’s obscene, and ridiculous they didn’t have a relegation clause to decrease that wage. 
    If Charlton had a player on £27k when we were relegated, he'd have been pushed out in the summer, no doubting. That sounds like our first 11 budget! On the point, how come Wendies are able to come out of a transfer embargo and be throwing contracts left right and centre. We on the other hand are stable Stanley's and are missing out on pretty much everyone. I can't believe we haven't wanted any of the players that, Ipswich, Wigan, Wednesday etc have been signing, so the only reason for signing has to be the wages AND confidence in their prospects. 
  • MattF said:
    I’m not 100% as who knows which websites are true or not these days, but I’ve seen a few say Bannan is on £27k at Wednesday. I know that’s a follow on from a Championship contract, but it’s obscene, and ridiculous they didn’t have a relegation clause to decrease that wage. 
    Even stranger he only signed a new contract in February when they were headed for the drop
    Hadn’t realised that. What a joke. 
  • edited August 2021
    Cattermole was on about 40k a week in league 1, his salary halved when they got relegated from the Premiership but not the championship. 
  • thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

As things stand I'll bite your hand off to spend another year in League 1  !!!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cattermole was on about 40k a week in league 1, his salary halved when they got relegated from the Premiership but not the championship. 
    I’m definitely out of touch with football in general these days. I get what he brings to a side, but £40k a week for Cattermole seems ridiculous. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Just a few months ago we were celebrating the wage cap being removed. That's worked well for us!
    Sadly it was removed from other clubs as well.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I’m definitely out of touch with football in general these days. I get what he brings to a side, but £40k a week for Cattermole seems ridiculous. 
    He was on 80 in the prem!! 
  • thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I take the fact that you think we will be in L1 next season as  positive!
  • Clarky said:
    Just a few months ago we were celebrating the wage cap being removed. That's worked well for us!
    Sadly it was removed from other clubs as well.
    It is so Charlton that it does us when its there and does us when its gone.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    What!! Haha, I completely misread your post and thought you meant he was on 40 in prem and that was then halved. £80k, blimey he had a very good agent then. 
  • According to Salary Sport, the below were the top individual earners in League 1 last season, including loaned players. 

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

No chance Sunderland where paying Lee Cattermole £80k per week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-gossip/420723/sunderland-player-wages-lee-cattermole/

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sunderland-afc-transfer-lee-cattermole-16516120

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2019/6/6/18653488/roker-roundtable-should-sunderland-keep-or-sell-release-lee-cattermole-this-summer

These all seem to suggest they were. 

• MattF said:
    Can’t for the life of me see Lincoln City paying a player  £19,000 per week……absolutely no way!
    He was on loan from Manchester City
    Even then, I doubt it very much.🤔
  • Can believe a lot of those figures for loan players being pretty close . Surprised Maatsen wasn't on there. 
  • MattF said:
    Can’t for the life of me see Lincoln City paying a player  £19,000 per week……absolutely no way!
    Manchester City will have been paying most of that 19K presumably, the split won't be reflected in that chart
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Can believe a lot of those figures for loan players being pretty close . Surprised Maatsen wasn't on there. 
    He is the next one down, or close to it, 9k I think. 
  • MattF said:
    City paid £4m for him when he was only 16, so imagine they agreed a decent wage too. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-gossip/420723/sunderland-player-wages-lee-cattermole/

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sunderland-afc-transfer-lee-cattermole-16516120

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2019/6/6/18653488/roker-roundtable-should-sunderland-keep-or-sell-release-lee-cattermole-this-summer

Do they? Don't see any mention of 80k. My mate reckons he was on around 50k in the Prem, 25% pay cut after relegation. 
  • edited August 2021
    MarcusH26 said:
    Can believe a lot of those figures for loan players being pretty close . Surprised Maatsen wasn't on there. 
    He’s further down the list on £8k pw.
  • edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Do they? Don't see any mention of 80k. My mate reckons he was on around 50k in the Prem, 25% pay cut after relegation. 
    The first one talks of 70k, my two Sunderland supporting mates, who don't know each other have both mentioned 80k in the past, what ever it was 40k in league 1 is the main issue that is obscene.

Edit sorry its Rodwell on 70k.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!