Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited August 2021

• MarcusH26 said:
    James Olayinka is an interesting one , spent last season on loan at Southend in L2 , appears he can also fill in at RB too according to the Arsenal site. 
    Stats don't look great. If the link is true I imagine this will be a cheap back up for Morgan.
    Yeah I'm not overly convinced by the stats either . Strikes me as squad filler 
  • Not a rumour but a premier league loan I'd like to us to go for would be Tony Gallacher LB at Liverpool. I understand he was close to signing for Sunderland a few weeks ago but it fell through. 
  • TS is a big fat liar !  Addicts to Victory 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    James Olayinka is an interesting one , spent last season on loan at Southend in L2 , appears he can also fill in at RB too according to the Arsenal site. 
    Stats don't look great. If the link is true I imagine this will be a cheap back up for Morgan.
    Yeah I'm not overly convinced by the stats either . Strikes me as squad filler 
    Even the person actually reporting it isn't exactly convinced it's true so I'm not putting much stock in this one either way right now.
  • edited August 2021
    Southend manager said Olyinka has plenty of ‘attacking flair’. 
    He said "attractive flares".
    Men Bell Bottom Jeans Flared Denim Pants 60s 70s Vintage Wide Leg Trousers  Blue Slim Fit  Wish

Aah, those were the days eh,.. jumpers for goalposts Mmm..... B)
  • Cullen went on loan to Bradford in League Two when he was slightly older than Olyinka was last season. Arsenal obviously feel like he’s good enough to retain on their books. Stats aren’t everything at 20 years old, especially on loan at a struggling League Two side. 
  • edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cullen went on loan to Bradford in League Two when he was slightly older than Olyinka was last season. Arsenal obviously feel like he’s good enough to retain on their books. Stats aren’t everything at 20 years old, especially on loan at a struggling League Two side. 
    Loads of people struggle in their first loan, some in their second as well, for multiple reasons.  Most improve from the experience. 

Beilik didn't set the world a light at Walsall.  The 1st Matt Smith did well enough at Doncaster last season to get a championship loan this season.  Cullen was shocking in an awful Bolton side before we first got him. 
    Exactly. And let’s be honest, he won’t even need to be that good to be an improvement on Morgan at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    Blimey!
    We are shopping in stores even Roland dared not go in!
    Roland didn’t shop in stores, hence the duck tape on the shoes!
  • why dont we look at free transfer market more, some decent names, and we have done ok in that market in recent years
  • edited August 2021
    For what it's worth (not much) my theory:  We are leaving everything to the last few days.  Plan is to find available, unttached, whatever, L1 or Championship Players without a club.  We then offer them L1 wages within our budget - but a big promotion bonus if we go up (and maybe a smaller bonus just to make the play offs).  That way we get players that fit the budget - who accept lower wages as better than nothing...with the added incentive to aim at promotion.  In addition a few loans from (ideally) prem clubs that want to get some experience in some of their fringe or lower age players.
  • That sounds pretty plausible. I don't think it was the ORIGINAL plan necessarily but if we have somehow ended up there it wouldn't surprise me.

Which is not to say I am especially happy or impressed as this could backfire when we really really need everything to work perfectly.
  • I'd love it to be true therefore I don't believe it.
  • Very risky approach how often have we seen them try and get some decent signings on deadline day and then fail or fall back on 5th or 6th choice. If you want to mount a serious top 2 promotion challenge, rather than aim for the play-offs, then you need the squad sorted in close season not 3 defeats into the season. Also I don't accept the excuse that prem lge teams don't sort out their loans till end of August as that's clearly not true as plenty of other teams have secured decent prem loans throughout the summer.
  • vffvff
    edited August 2021
    CafcWest said:
    For what it's worth (not much) my theory:  We are leaving everything to the last few days.  Plan is to find available, unttached, whatever, L1 or Championship Players without a club.  We then offer them L1 wages within our budget - but a big promotion bonus if we go up (and maybe a smaller bonus just to make the play offs).  That way we get players that fit the budget - who accept lower wages as better than nothing...with the added incentive to aim at promotion.  In addition a few loans from (ideally) prem clubs that want to get some experience in some of their fringe or lower age players.

Great theory -  but where are they & where all the premiership loans ? 8 days to go and its tumbleweeds. Its the opposite to the record breaking points strategy of the Chris Powell promotion year that did actually sweep the league away. Personally, I think that this is a case of wishful thinking & that Thomas Sandgaard, as much as we all love him, doesn't have the money or wishes to put the budget in.

I would love to be proved wrong and there be a number of decent signings and loans this week.
    Something appears to have changed from the initial bravado.  I am wondering whether Thomas Sandgaard needs a new investor.

On the current squad - its League One with an outside historic L1 relegation battle if there are unfortunate injuries to an already depleted squad.
  • I still think we'll sign someone like Josh Sims in the coming days

• Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    I still think we'll sign someone like Josh Sims in the coming days

I would be suprised, pleasantly suprised but suprised none the less, if we sign another winger. 
  • Very risky approach how often have we seen them try and get some decent signings on deadline day and then fail or fall back on 5th or 6th choice. If you want to mount a serious top 2 promotion challenge, rather than aim for the play-offs, then you need the squad sorted in close season not 3 defeats into the season. Also I don't accept the excuse that prem lge teams don't sort out their loans till end of August as that's clearly not true as plenty of other teams have secured decent prem loans throughout the summer.
    I don’t think anyone has suggested that Prem league teams don’t sort out any loans until the end of August, it is more that there will be youth players close to being selected for the main squad. By definition these are, or should be, the better players.
    When the squads get announced it becomes clear who is available. Obviously Championship clubs will also be interested, but that does not mean that they are the automatic choice. Style of play, quality of coaching and likelihood of playing all play apart.
    There is also a knock on from Championship clubs who will loan out players.
    One can only hope we are in for a full quota.
  • Dan Crowley is one we were looking at.
    Only 1 assist last season, brilliant 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:

I would be suprised, pleasantly suprised but suprised none the less, if we sign another winger. 
    More of that level of experience than position
  • Would love to be proved wrong but I'm resigned to another 2 seasons in the 3rd division in keeping with past experience when, with the exception of the Mike Bailey season, we've taken 3 years to get out. Squad looks nowhere near being able to compete for promotion.
    Lads had more trials than the Krays this summer. 

Unbelievable talent but not "oven ready" not what we need right now.  Saying that you need to look at it as a whole, it depends who else we are looking at. 
  • edited August 2021
    Dan Crowley is one we were looking at.
    Were as in we've stopped or just not going anywhere right now?

PWADDICK said:
    Dan Crowley is one we were looking at.
    Only 1 assist last season, brilliant 
    Played in a promotion winning side though, more than any of the other midfielders we've got can say.
  • The Big PL clubs have already done plenty of loan business, so it's not as if nothing has happened yet.

For example, Chelsea have so far loaned 15 players out already, including 3 to the PL, 5 to the Championship and 2 to L1

Arsenal have loaned out 11 players, including 3 to the Championship and 1 to L1

• Rothko said:

Can’t believe he’s not been signed up, but hope we are in for him and he does sign. 
    Great….a retired rugby player is just what we need
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!