Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Croydon said:
    The problem is that even a stable Championship side loses as much or more money than a league 1 side.  

Our owner seriously under estimated the cost of running a football club in this country.  Besides which wages are ridiculous in football . 

I wouldn’t blame TS if it decided it was too much. Standing still appears to cost 10 million a year and the cost of a ticket is way short of covering the true cost to break even.

That is why we have signed players others didn't rate and our midfield isn't anywhere near good enough to accommodate 433. Without it our wingers have no threat plus we are short on full backs to support it.  We lack a threat so opposition teams just suss us out in 10 minutes. 
    In which case he then needs to do what Peterborough and Brentford do, and sign talented youngsters who can help the team for a couple of years before being sold on. 

But that again needs investment. You are highly unlikely to find these players if you are signing players who were ultimately unwanted by Oxford, Sunderland and Tranmere.
     We have been missing out on talented young players in lower teams by not offering enough,  and we are a team that has sold its good young players cheaply. 
    How come Gallen never spots them and Brentford and Peterborough do, every time.
    Is this a fact?
    No, it’s not. Same argument that a few posters continue to repeat. We are not offering as much as Championship sides and Ipswich/Wigan, that doesn’t mean we’re not offering a decent amount to players. It’s ridiculous to expect Sandgaard to have agreed £9-10k pw on several players to make up our first 11. There’s no point in being annoyed that we aren’t offering as much as these other sides. 
    Is it a fact that Wigan/Ipswich are offering 10k a week? 
    Wyke is rumoured to be on 10k a week at Wigan. He turned down a new deal at Sunderland (who must have offered a decent enough deal) to go there. You surely wouldn't leave Sunderland for Wigan unless it was for money.

Ipswich have signed some good players for this level. Edwards was believed to have turned down championship clubs to go there. Fraser and Pigott must be on pretty good money. 
  • Croydon said:
    The problem is that even a stable Championship side loses as much or more money than a league 1 side.  

Our owner seriously under estimated the cost of running a football club in this country.  Besides which wages are ridiculous in football . 

I wouldn’t blame TS if it decided it was too much. Standing still appears to cost 10 million a year and the cost of a ticket is way short of covering the true cost to break even.

That is why we have signed players others didn't rate and our midfield isn't anywhere near good enough to accommodate 433. Without it our wingers have no threat plus we are short on full backs to support it.  We lack a threat so opposition teams just suss us out in 10 minutes. 
    In which case he then needs to do what Peterborough and Brentford do, and sign talented youngsters who can help the team for a couple of years before being sold on. 

But that again needs investment. You are highly unlikely to find these players if you are signing players who were ultimately unwanted by Oxford, Sunderland and Tranmere.
     We have been missing out on talented young players in lower teams by not offering enough,  and we are a team that has sold its good young players cheaply. 
    Is this a fact?
    No, it’s not. Same argument that a few posters continue to repeat. We are not offering as much as Championship sides and Ipswich/Wigan, that doesn’t mean we’re not offering a decent amount to players. It’s ridiculous to expect Sandgaard to have agreed £9-10k pw on several players to make up our first 11. There’s no point in being annoyed that we aren’t offering as much as these other sides. 
    Wyke is rumoured to be on 10k a week at Wigan. He turned down a new deal at Sunderland (who must have offered a decent enough deal) to go there. You surely wouldn't leave Sunderland for Wigan unless it was for money.

Ipswich have signed some good players for this level. Edwards was believed to have turned down championship clubs to go there. Fraser and Pigott must be on pretty good money. 
    Yep and they stand 1 point above us!
  • Croydon said:

Is this a fact?

Yep and they stand 1 point above us!
    Yeah Cook probably needs a few games to figure out his best team as they've signed so many players. Once they sort the defence out and hit their stride though they'll be more than capable of going on a run as goalscoring isn't going to be a problem for them
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

That’s not necessarily true. At least in the Championship you have about £7-8m more in income to play with and you are more likely to develop players that command big fees. Millwall are losing less in the Championship than Charlton are in L1, despite having a smaller season ticket base, and they are still there.
    Mostly it is true though. I can't imagine what miracle it is that allows a club to pay Championship wages on a smaller fan base and loose less money  than Charlton .
    Because the TV revenue is bigger for a start
    It maybe due to more games but that is not big enough  to make the difference. RD preferred L1 because it cost him less in loses I recall Bowyer saying .
    That's absolutely a load of tosh.  The last season we were in league 1 it cost Roland 10 million quid, the season we were in the championship, despite the nice breads, cars and bitches, we made a profit!!! 
     That is not what Bowyer said .
    Are you saying the accounts are fraudulent?  Because that's what they say. 
    Did I say that ? No I didn't. 
    You said Bowyer said it was true.  The accounts say it isn't. Either Bowyer is wrong or the accounts are wrong. 
  • edited August 2021
    The good news is there is still time for Sandgaard & Adkins to come out of the transfer window with credibility. Lots of good players are still available.

4 decent loan signings and 1/2 perms of a Dale, Bishop, Lowery or Sims standard would give us a side capable of competing with the best teams in the league.

We know TS & NA can talk the talk. Hopefully they will back up their words over the next 9 days and show us that they can also walk the walk.

#walkingisbrilliant
    Well they haven’t  in the past 3 months so I can't  see them going it in 10 or 11 days.
    In fairness to the club the likes of Sandgaard & Gallen stated weeks ago that they expect most of our business to happen right near the deadline.

We can only hope they deliver.
    Agreed but where’s the wind up value in that, let’s keep counting down the weeks, days, hours and minutes 😏.
  • edited August 2021
  • I don't think we're gonna sign anyone until deadline day
  • The good news is there is still time for Sandgaard & Adkins to come out of the transfer window with credibility. Lots of good players are still available.

4 decent loan signings and 1/2 perms of a Dale, Bishop, Lowery or Sims standard would give us a side capable of competing with the best teams in the league.

We know TS & NA can talk the talk. Hopefully they will back up their words over the next 9 days and show us that they can also walk the walk.

#walkingisbrilliant
    True. For all we know, the budget may magically increase this week now TS has seen how badly we’ve started. That is my hope. 

BUT, if this was always the plan, to wait until the end, then it’s dangerous. As we saw after game 46 last year, the finest of margins can promote/relegate you and throwing away 4 matches so that you can wait for a good deal is dangerous. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Clearly we're looking at loans, which I've understood for a while to be likely to happen late. Were we not also told though that there would be scores of released players - some from Championship clubs - who would have to rethink their terms and be jumping at the chance to sign for, ahem, third division promotion contenders? I genuinely believed we might be picking up players of slightly more proven quality than CBT as a direct result of COVID, but have yet to see the benefits! Is that still the plan?
  • I though someone posted here a few weeks ago that we wanted to move away from loans?
  • 9 points behind the leaders....a gap too far already for auto spots? As I said previously a poor strategy to wait until the end of the window. Almost like they have written this season off....at least for auto spots
  • The good news is there is still time for Sandgaard & Adkins to come out of the transfer window with credibility. Lots of good players are still available.

#walkingisbrilliant
    Well they haven’t  in the past 3 months so I can't  see them going it in 10 or 11 days.
    In fairness to the club the likes of Sandgaard & Gallen stated weeks ago that they expect most of our business to happen right near the deadline.

We can only hope they deliver.
    Most would mean we sign more players in the final week than we’ve done all summer. Will not happen. 
  • edited August 2021
    Not ITK but I wonder if Conor Grant at Plymouth is on our target list, 10 assists for Plymouth last season. 
  • Loans? What good prem team would now lend a promising youngster to our lot???
  • Someone asked Cawley about Lowery, he hasn’t denied it 👀 he’s been quick to confirm there was no truth in Mullin and a few others this summer.

• Hey Mungo Mungo Italiano 
  • Not ITK but I wonder if Conor Grant at Plymouth is on our target list, 10 assists for Plymouth last season. 
    Good player and one we could have got if we moved for him in the summer.

He’s just signed a new 2 year deal so he won’t be moving in this window. 
  • Sponsored links:

• ct_addick said:
    9 points behind the leaders....a gap too far already for auto spots? As I said previously a poor strategy to wait until the end of the window. Almost like they have written this season off....at least for auto spots
    Oxford were 10 points late Nov last season where did they finish ? Sheff Utd had a poor start yet finished with 100 points .. and of course Palace went on a run from Jan got in the play offs after being bottom half …. It’s only 4 games not 44 games 
  • Hearing this morning that Ronaldo wants out, could give Kirk a run for his money!
  • Adkins quotes in the SLP sound just like Bowyer in December 19.
  • Danny Andrew, the left wing back at Fleetwood would be ideal as one of the experienced players NA says he wants to bring in.

Great going forward (would suit NAs system) & and can take / score free kicks...a quality no-one else in the current squad possesses.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

That’s not necessarily true. At least in the Championship you have about £7-8m more in income to play with and you are more likely to develop players that command big fees. Millwall are losing less in the Championship than Charlton are in L1, despite having a smaller season ticket base, and they are still there.
    Mostly it is true though. I can't imagine what miracle it is that allows a club to pay Championship wages on a smaller fan base and loose less money  than Charlton .
    Because the TV revenue is bigger for a start
    It maybe due to more games but that is not big enough  to make the difference. RD preferred L1 because it cost him less in loses I recall Bowyer saying .
    That's absolutely a load of tosh.  The last season we were in league 1 it cost Roland 10 million quid, the season we were in the championship, despite the nice breads, cars and bitches, we made a profit!!! 
     That is not what Bowyer said .
    Oddly, Lee Bowyer would not be regarded as an authority on football club finances, much as the auditors don’t advise on team selection. Here are some facts for you.

Our budget was so crap it was impossible not to lose more it seems. However you can surely clarify without sarcastic comments.  You can stick those up your backside because it wasn't necessary. 

Then as now it might be better if the auditors did select the team.  
    To be fair, we would probably only be one point worse off if they did. But hopefully we will start gaining points that makes the option less attractive :)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!