Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• A couple of loans the calibre of Cullen and Bielik could transform this side. Really hope we get something in the next week 
    But we are near the bottom of league one . When Cullen and Beilik ( And Gallagher) came to us we were a Championship side and therefore , far more attractive to the players and their parent clubs . 

• edited August 2021
    ct_addick said:
    What gets me is that Wigan were down and out and an owner comes in willing to splash some cash to gamble on success. Thought that might be us but no we have someone who thinks they are clever enough to do it on a small budget which ain't working. They have a week to fix it which is very concerning. 
    And thus the story of Charlton Athletic contines.  One fruit loop owner after another punctuated by a interlude of sanity that was the Premiership years...
  • alangee said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

At least Purrington only got injured a few weeks ago, JFC got injured in April! 

But we have been after Kirk since January, and all the Crewe fans tell us that although he is a good player, he becomes much better when he has an overlapping winger. Purrington is not that winger, so we have known that if we managed to get Kirk, we needed a left back to complement.  With only one left back anyway, we should have been looking in that area, so that if Kirk came along, we knew who we wanted.  Instead of that we have a right back who doesn't overlap or Roddy's son.
    We have know we need another left back since April, the difference is it wasn't urgent.  It was probably better to wait and get the right player than rush and don't.

Once it was clear Purrington would be out for weeks not days it became urgent, a month ago.

I have 100% faith we will bring a left back in, probably on loan and possibly not even this week.   It needed doing before the Wednesday game, if not certainly before the Oxford one.   You could even look at again in January.

It's the same with the midfield if you still had JFC and Gilbey in the equation you could wait for the right one or even make a case not to and review at Christmas.

The plan, and associated budget was probably a good one in April but they haven't reacted to developments since. 
  • A couple of loans the calibre of Cullen and Bielik could transform this side. Really hope we get something in the next week 
    But we are near the bottom of league one . When Cullen and Beilik ( And Gallagher) came to us we were a Championship side and therefore , far more attractive to the players and their parent clubs . 

Cullen and Bielik came when we were a L1 side
  • Ill  take my pick the owner 
  • Ipswich and Wigan's riches are covering up the sorts of players we could have gone for, but one for reason or another didn't

MK Dons brought in Twine, Pompey brought in Tunnicliffe who's been getting rave reviews for the way he's been running games.
    What is frustrating is that these players, along with other like Fraser & Eisa were mentioned by many on here as ones we should be signing. We didnt but signed players like Dobson & Clare that hadn't been mentioned by anyone.

So......either the Transfer management team was wrong or that everyone single fan on here was wrong. Take your pick
    Pompey also snapped up Joe Morrell, another player discussed here

Indeed I'm starting to think that the other L1 sides do all their player scouting by reading the Charlton Life rumours thread  ;)
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Ipswich and Wigan's riches are covering up the sorts of players we could have gone for, but one for reason or another didn't

MK Dons brought in Twine, Pompey brought in Tunnicliffe who's been getting rave reviews for the way he's been running games.
    What is frustrating is that these players, along with other like Fraser & Eisa were mentioned by many on here as ones we should be signing. We didnt but signed players like Dobson & Clare that hadn't been mentioned by anyone.

So......either the Transfer management team was wrong or that everyone single fan on here was wrong. Take your pick
    You have to take in to account that football fans, journalists and even pundits don't have to consider everything when identifying transfer targets or picking teams.

If fans had picked the England team in the summer we probably would have got beaten 4-3 by Germany.

You also have to consider a lot of the players that Wigan especially have signed were described from uninspiring and dodgy to plain dog shit when they were discussed as targets for us.   Not to mention Fraser, Olgilvy and the like were "scouted" by fans for 90 or 180 minutes last season, if that, and snap judgements made.

The recruitment hasn't been good enough but to suggest the fans know better on individual players is probably a bit of a stretch. 
    Looking at no left back
    No replacement goal keeper 
    Nobody replacing Chuks
    No replacement for JFC

I'm not so sure!
  • edited August 2021
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Ipswich and Wigan's riches are covering up the sorts of players we could have gone for, but one for reason or another didn't

You have to take in to account that football fans, journalists and even pundits don't have to consider everything when identifying transfer targets or picking teams.

If fans had picked the England team in the summer we probably would have got beaten 4-3 by Germany.

You also have to consider a lot of the players that Wigan especially have signed were described from uninspiring and dodgy to plain dog shit when they were discussed as targets for us.   Not to mention Fraser, Olgilvy and the like were "scouted" by fans for 90 or 180 minutes last season, if that, and snap judgements made.

The recruitment hasn't been good enough but to suggest the fans know better on individual players is probably a bit of a stretch. 
    Looking at no left back
    No replacement goal keeper 
    Nobody replacing Chuks
    No replacement for JFC

I'm not so sure!
    If you read it I said on individual players.

And here https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/4422745#Comment_4422745 I highlight exactly what you just said. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Even Tommy thinks that It’s Roddy’s fault 
  • From what Driesen has been saying in tweets and replies, is that Gallen had never been the ‘scout’ and more the negotiator - as his role is currently 
  • sammy391 said:
    From what Driesen has been saying in tweets and replies, is that Gallen had never been the ‘scout’ and more the negotiator - as his role is currently 
    I said before, and got shouted down, Gallen's best deals are the ones he gets through contacts, not through scouting.  Not giving any credit to Tommy boy BTW. 
  • Which is the reason why the lad is now heavily involved with some of the biggest clubs in Europe... on his computer of course!
  • Rothko said:
    Driessen really is fluffing his own myth at the moment. 
    He's becoming a legend in his own under cleggies!! Coz that's about all he's good at playing with I guess!!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    The problem is that even a stable Championship side loses as much or more money than a league 1 side.  

Our owner seriously under estimated the cost of running a football club in this country.  Besides which wages are ridiculous in football . 

I wouldn’t blame TS if it decided it was too much. Standing still appears to cost 10 million a year and the cost of a ticket is way short of covering the true cost to break even.

That is why we have signed players others didn't rate and our midfield isn't anywhere near good enough to accommodate 433. Without it our wingers have no threat plus we are short on full backs to support it.  We lack a threat so opposition teams just suss us out in 10 minutes. 
    That’s not necessarily true. At least in the Championship you have about £7-8m more in income to play with and you are more likely to develop players that command big fees. Millwall are losing less in the Championship than Charlton are in L1, despite having a smaller season ticket base, and they are still there.
    Mostly it is true though. I can't imagine what miracle it is that allows a club to pay Championship wages on a smaller fan base and loose less money  than Charlton .
    Because the TV revenue is bigger for a start
    It maybe due to more games but that is not big enough  to make the difference. RD preferred L1 because it cost him less in loses I recall Bowyer saying .
    That's absolutely a load of tosh.  The last season we were in league 1 it cost Roland 10 million quid, the season we were in the championship, despite the nice breads, cars and bitches, we made a profit!!! 
     That is not what Bowyer said .
    Are you saying the accounts are fraudulent?  Because that's what they say. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Couldn't care less what Driessen thinks . The amount of utter rubbish he signed and now he's running around claiming to still know what's going on. Surprised there's still people he hasn't blocked. 
  • I've never engaged with Driesen on Twitter. Maybe I can worm my way in and we can imagine all the huge overskilled centre-backs we could sign 
  • Leuth said:
    I've never engaged with Driesen on Twitter. Maybe I can worm my way in and we can imagine all the huge overskilled centre-backs we could sign 
    He might try and deny that he was involved in signing Naby though...
  • I assume Tommy D has since moved on to a top club due to his sensational scouting ability? 
  • Leuth said:
    I've never engaged with Driesen on Twitter. Maybe I can worm my way in and we can imagine all the huge overskilled centre-backs we could sign 
    He might try and deny that he was involved in signing Naby though...
    Nah he'll reply with something about Bauer scoring for Preston 
  • Leuth said:
    It's the lack of shame that's the problem, and the constant dishonesty about his involvement in the sales of Kermorgant, Stephens, and forcing Hamer out
  • Nought wrong with Naby in the end.
  • Chunes said:
    Reminder that Driesen frequently denies being in charge of transfers during RD's earlier reign and yet in Jimmy Stone's excellent documentary podcast, Guy Luzon, Bob Peeters and Chris Powell all say he was the de facto boss. 

The guy talks complete shit. 
    If you believe any/every thing he says, it ever so oddly turns out that every single good signing was entirely thanks to him, but somehow at the same time someone else was responsible for all the bad ones. I suspect that he might somehow actually believe this is true.

He's full of crap.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!