Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Good to hear an update from Gallen. 

Our work never stops. We’re always talking to player representatives, I’ve been doing that all day today, which is probably why my voice is a bit gone at the moment – let’s see how it in 10 days’ time. 

“I’m confident that we’ll get the players in that we need to help us. In an ideal world, we’d have everyone in for the first day of pre-season but it never works like that, even with all of us wanting that – a lot of the better deals happen right at the end and you have to be patient. I’m confident that we’re going to get a few more players in, the chairman has said that as well and is going to support us, so fingers cross we get it all done, right by the end.” 

Do they?

That might apply to loans - and even then for all your Cullen, Bielik or Gallagher brilliant deals, there's always a Joe Dodoo or Paul Smyth - but a lot of purchases at the end of the window (talking in general here) are overpaid panic buys or "that'll do" type purchases, rather than your main target
    Or worse, the "we'll take him then" when Man U or Arsenal.offer someone you haven't been after but is the only thing left at 22.59 on deadline day. 

And I say this kindly to SG and the rest of the "transfer committee".......if a lot of the better deals happen at the last moment, why have Ipswich, Wigan, Sheff Wed and a host more clubs in this division (and loads of others across the leagues) not waited until then but have "jumped the gun" and got players in before the season even started.
    What if waiting enables us to get in/afford 4 players of the required standard rather than 3?
  • edited August 2021
    Sage said:
    My view from end of last season hasn't changed. There isn't anyone in our squad (apart from Stockley for his quality) that I remotely feel a connection with.

Oh to have a Clive Mendonca, Johnny Jackson, Chris Solly type servant that emerge from the bunch to gain our adulation. 
    So you only feel a connection with quality players?  
    Sorry AC, to be more specific, a player with 'qualities' as a player and personality combined that endear me to them. Stockley seems to give 100% and is building up a few credits in my fans favourite account, but others accounts are more or less empty, or haven't even been opened, lol. 

JJ's birthday wishes to my dad on his 80th had him in tears. That's what I mean by connection. 

Does anyone see legend material from this lot?

Fair enough.  Innis seems a real Charlton player.  Grew up in the area, possibly a fan, gives 100%,a fighter and by all accounts a bit of a leader who does some good stuff off the pitch.  His lack of fitness will likely ruin any chance of him becoming any kind of legend but I think a connection/affinity definately.
    Inniss is a Charlton supporter.
    He’s an Arsenal fan. 

He came to games as a kid but so do most Premier League fans in this area
  • Sage said:
    My view from end of last season hasn't changed. There isn't anyone in our squad (apart from Stockley for his quality) that I remotely feel a connection with.

Oh to have a Clive Mendonca, Johnny Jackson, Chris Solly type servant that emerge from the bunch to gain our adulation. 
    Sorry AC, to be more specific, a player with 'qualities' as a player and personality combined that endear me to them. Stockley seems to give 100% and is building up a few credits in my fans favourite account, but others accounts are more or less empty, or haven't even been opened, lol. 

JJ's birthday wishes to my dad on his 80th had him in tears. That's what I mean by connection. 

Fair enough.  Innis seems a real Charlton player.  Grew up in the area, possibly a fan, gives 100%,a fighter and by all accounts a bit of a leader who does some good stuff off the pitch.  His lack of fitness will likely ruin any chance of him becoming any kind of legend but I think a connection/affinity definately.
    He’s not, he’s an Arsenal fan

He came to games as a kid but so do most Premier League fans in this area
    It never rains….

Our work never stops. We’re always talking to player representatives, I’ve been doing that all day today, which is probably why my voice is a bit gone at the moment – let’s see how it in 10 days’ time. 

“I’m confident that we’ll get the players in that we need to help us. In an ideal world, we’d have everyone in for the first day of pre-season but it never works like that, even with all of us wanting that – a lot of the better deals happen right at the end and you have to be patient. I’m confident that we’re going to get a few more players in, the chairman has said that as well and is going to support us, so fingers cross we get it all done, right by the end.” 

Do they?

That might apply to loans - and even then for all your Cullen, Bielik or Gallagher brilliant deals, there's always a Joe Dodoo or Paul Smyth - but a lot of purchases at the end of the window (talking in general here) are overpaid panic buys or "that'll do" type purchases, rather than your main target
    Or worse, the "we'll take him then" when Man U or Arsenal.offer someone you haven't been after but is the only thing left at 22.59 on deadline day. 

And I say this kindly to SG and the rest of the "transfer committee".......if a lot of the better deals happen at the last moment, why have Ipswich, Wigan, Sheff Wed and a host more clubs in this division (and loads of others across the leagues) not waited until then but have "jumped the gun" and got players in before the season even started.
    What if waiting enables us to get in/afford 4 players of the required standard rather than 3?
    If that was the case, as I alluded to, then every other club would be doing the same thing and waiting. Problem is we needed to replace more players than most. Some only needed to bring in 3 or r 4 - we needed around 12.

And in the meantime we lose game after game because the team out there TODAY is not good enough. 

Do they?

If that was the case, as I alluded to, then every other club would be doing the same thing and waiting. Problem is we needed to replace more players than most. Some only needed to bring in 3 or r 4 - we needed around 12.

And in the meantime we lose game after game because the team out there TODAY is not good enough. 
    Clubs have different targets, not all are available at the same time.

Ipswich have three loans but one of them is Bonne who many wouldn’t be happy to bring back. Another is Louie Barry who turned 18 in the summer and is on his first loan.

Sheff Wed have already got 6 loans so can’t even use them all at the same time. Most of them are older players so likely those whose clubs wanted to move them on.

I expect we’ll be looking for loans from Prem clubs who were always going to have decisions made on their futures at the end of the window. Could also be loans like Shinnie who only become available at the end once Championship clubs have their squads in place.

If we get these right waiting until the end of the window will be justified. If you expect more Smiths and Levitts then at least you won’t be disappointed whatever happens.
  • edited August 2021
    A key issue might also be that TS has a pay scale that he wants all players to be on, i.e, budget, experienced and marquee. He may/will be offering a flat no to any players agent that is tarting his players at a price/ value higher than what TS views it. Much as I'd love 5-6 players to come in that push 5-6 current players out of the first 11, that doesn't seem to be the likelihood. 
  • My Villa mate says Corey is a great player and will be good for us, he's just not Premiership quality.  Sounds like he may be half decent 😉
    He only played 1 game for Villa.
    Apparently he doesn't even need 1 game for us before some write him off.
  • IanJRO said:
    Funny thing is Kirk could turn out shite for us and CBT a legend. It's always a gamble. One thing I am sure of is that he will at least improve our options off the bench which are currently woefully short. 

Need a LB in asap to balance the team and make us a little less predictable,  reckon that will help the midfield click a bit too. 

Always the optimist!

Fair point. I was certain Marcus Madison would turn out to be our best signing in years. It’s always a gamble.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:

Is he really? Thought he was from penge and assumed he was palace.

• Where’s Mungo Bridge ?
  • Where’s Mungo Bridge ?
    Over the river of the same name in Cameroon?
  • In an unusual moment of me being serious, I am surprised we haven't signed a leftback on loan. I wonder if it means we have a permanent transfer for a left-sided defender in the works.

Do they?

I think you miss my point.

What if by buying early we only got three of the players we wanted but buying later got us the same players and some more. Not saying it is right or wrong but it is a legitamate tactic, every club will have their own tactics based on what they have as we don't all start from the same place.

SG has pretty much told us that is what we are doing.

The clubs (Ipswich & Wigan) that have paid big money to get players in early needed more players than us, that is their tactic and gamble. Sheff Wed kept most of the players they went down with but are quite likely to be under some kind of embargo so they have boosted their squad with older signings (which didn't wor for us last season - but they come down with a stronger squad than we did). 

It is a gamble by us which hasn't worked at the moment but I didn't see any of the early games as definite wins, ncluding today.
  • edited August 2021
    Well if the tactic is banking on late loans opening up then we are going to have a hell of a job convincing a PL club we are a promotion contender for their young talent to thrive at... same goes for anyone on a permanent deal with options in L1
  • Nahhh I retract everything positive I said over the last two months and am fully on the side of the small fringe of posters who got laughed at all summer.
    You’re welcome. 😉
  • Well if the tactic is banking on late loans opening up then we are going to have a hell of a job convincing a PL club we are a promotion contender for their young talent to thrive at... same goes for anyone on a permanent deal with options in L1
    If the tactic is banking on loans then we need a change of approach in future having dropped 11 points already we can pretty much write off going up automatically now.

To go up automatically you have to be looking at an average of 2 points a game, we would need to win the next 7 games on the bounce just to get to that average let alone maintain it.

We have no chance of that now and if our approach has caused this then the approach needs to change, bin off the Premier League loans if this approach is causing us to drop so many points early on.
  • 10 days to go. We need a player every 2 days.
  • Sponsored links:

• We'll do well to finish 6th from bottom at the moment 
  • edited August 2021
  • ...Fair point well made. 
  • Why haven't we signed a single player on loan when the majority of other teams have by now? 
    Because we're tinpot and run by people who think they know better. We're too smart for our own good! 
  • 10 days to go. We need a player every 2 days.
    No we don't, we need more than that

Backup GK
    Starting LB
    Backup RCB
    Starting CM
    Starting CAM
    Backup LW
    Backup ST
  • edited August 2021
    Can anyone see us getting the required quality in to mount a promotion push? I can't. 
  • sam3110 said:
    10 days to go. We need a player every 2 days.
    No we don't, we need more than that

Backup GK
    Starting LB
    Backup RCB
    Starting CM
    Starting CAM
    Backup LW
    Backup ST
    Not going to happen. I reckon we'll sign a LB, RCB and CM/CAM and that's it. We had our chance in midfield, but with Watson's new contract and Dobson/Clare, no chance we'll sign another two. We also have 7 players in the front 3 positions, unless a couple go I can't see much activity there. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!