Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Its certainly getting to the point where even I wonder if we'll use all five loan slots this Summer.
  • Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    2 midfielders and a left-back is the minimum requirement now
    Still not convinced Deji 2 should be cover for Inniss but it’s looking like it’ll happen.
    He was probably our best player in that 2nd half against MKD. Good enough for me
  • Leuth said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    2 midfielders and a left-back is the minimum requirement now
    Still not convinced Deji 2 should be cover for Inniss but it’s looking like it’ll happen.
    He was probably our best player in that 2nd half against MKD. Good enough for me
    Ability wise yes, but what about consistency, handling the pressure and increasing expectations? Even NA, Avory are only taking an educated guess that he’s ready.
  • The necessities:
    LB
    DM
    CAM

In that order.  

And the wish list:
    ST
    RCB

• Omore would be the LB and Lowery the CAM. I fear that with two DMs in contract we won't go and get another, although maybe this will all end up with the glorious rise of Aaron Henry
  • For those of you old enough to remember Soap on TV, this forum is just like it 😂

We join Charlton Life, just after Corey has signed for Charlton....

Why has he only got a contract till January? Are Charlton panic buying?

Will the Google Police arrest Charlton Lifer's?

Has Nigel Adkins been abducted by aliens and replaced with a clone?

Will Charlton ever win a game?

Confused, you won't be after this week's episode of Charlton Athletic!
  • se9addick said:

I thought Adkins said he did well at Villa.....in reality NA clearly has no idea about his past/experience as he barely played for them.

Worrying signs about our transfer policy if the manager has no idea who is coming through the door.
    Perhaps Adkins meant he did well at Villa as a young player coming through the academy? Was he playing u23 football as a 17 year old perhaps? Be interesting to hear him expand on what he meant if we do sign him.
    According to his Wiki page he started at Villa at the age of 1 so he must have had something about him.
    At the age of 1 he was already dribbling
  • Croydon said:
    Deal til January only? Hard not to read into that.
    They know Messi and Ronaldo are coming in January and need the squad place
  • Sponsored links:

• The necessities:
    LB
    DM
    CAM

In that order.  

And the wish list:
    ST
    RCB

lol we've all forgotten one of the most pressing ones: a GK 
  • Croydon said:
    There a contract for longer waiting … 
  • Leuth said:
    The necessities:
    LB
    DM
    CAM

In that order.  

And the wish list:
    ST
    RCB

I didn’t forget it’s just incoming keepers bore me.  But correct I guess the GK would be somewhere between LB and CAM. 
  • Croydon said:
    There a contract for longer waiting … 
    And there was all of us thinking we were going to sign him for 4 months just for the sake of it. 
  • Leuth said:
    The necessities:
    LB
    DM
    CAM

In that order.  

And the wish list:
    ST
    RCB

I didn’t forget it’s just incoming keepers bore me.  But correct I guess the GK would be somewhere between LB and CAM. 
    Best to play him behind the back 4 tbh. 
  • Was CBT signed in time for a place on the bench tomorrow?
  • RedJohn said:
    Was CBT signed in time for a place on the bench tomorrow?
    Yes
  • edited August 2021
    We now need-

Attacking LB
    CAM
    CM
    Striker

I can’t see us bringing in another RCB as Adkins rates Deji, he will likely be back up. With those signings plus Gilbey, Schwartz and Purrington coming back I think we will be ok til Jan.

I know I’m being optimistic!!! All we can hope for is playoff this season. 

• MrBurns said:
    Would this current side get us out of league 2?

If you look at our form since that 5/6 game winning blip last season, our form probably wasn't far off relegation 

Well if you seriously think that we couldn't get out of league 2 with our current side, we may as well pack up and all go home..
    Arguing we can get out of League Two is what this thread and our transfers have come down to. 😂
  • ct_addick said:
    Really surprised that after Tuesday we didn't try and close a deal for a player or two to bolster the squad. Alarm bells are going off in my head.......something is amiss 
    Sky…. Blue.

• Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:
    To those saying we don't need another winger, Washington is already fucked and probably out for the weekend.... this is 3 games in 
    And more to the point, he isn’t actually a winger. We’re so short that we are having to play a him a wide. We need another 2 wingers in. 

The other thing about Washington is he has been playing in front of left back who isn’t a left back. So not only we are we asking him to play out of position, we’re also saying play out of position with a cart horse behind you. 

I honestly find the fact that we have not signed a left back staggering. It is piss poor from the management / recruitment team. Inexcusable really going in to the start of the season without a left back. 
    This x 100.

From what I've seen of CBT (from the video posted the other day) he is quick & often will take a shot. Something we don't currently have. Happy to have him on the bench to bring on with 15/20 mins to go. 

Pretty much sums it for me.
  • I'm encouraged by "...a lot of the better deals happen at the end of the window." Let's hope Gallen has a few aces up his sleeve.
  • Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Should play

MacGillivray
    Matthews | Inniss | Famewo | Gunter
       Clare | Dobson | Watson | Morgan
                  Jaiyesimi | Stockley

That will stop people banging on about 442 for a few weeks/days/hours
    As one of those who has previously mentioned that given the lack of players available that can play 4-3-3 we should play 4-4-2, may I just say that to me this is a crap selection.

As a minimum you would need JS and Kirk on the wings and two strikers. As we only have two strikers fit it would have to be them. Four attackers against four defenders. A winger beats his man and there is a gap and no spare man to cover, so if they want to double up on JS there is a cost.

IMO to play 4-3-3 you need attacking full backs. If you don’t it quickly becomes 4-5-1. If we persist with this formation I don’t think we will win.

Agreed. The wingers in the front 3 these days tend to be wide forwards, rather than traditional wingers hugging the touchline, often cutting into the box with the full back providing the width AND giving the opposition defence 2 attacking players to defend against. 

Liverpool and City play 433, but Sterling or Salah aren't the ones providing the width, as that comes from the full backs. Charlie Kirk had an attacking full back (Perry NG) alongside him. 

Our 433 this season with Washington on the left would have worked much better if we had a Maatsen style LB bombing on.
    Perry Ng is a right back. The left back, whose name I forget , was sold to Blackburn in January. 
    Pickering
  • Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Should play

MacGillivray
    Matthews | Inniss | Famewo | Gunter
       Clare | Dobson | Watson | Morgan
                  Jaiyesimi | Stockley

That will stop people banging on about 442 for a few weeks/days/hours
    As one of those who has previously mentioned that given the lack of players available that can play 4-3-3 we should play 4-4-2, may I just say that to me this is a crap selection.

As a minimum you would need JS and Kirk on the wings and two strikers. As we only have two strikers fit it would have to be them. Four attackers against four defenders. A winger beats his man and there is a gap and no spare man to cover, so if they want to double up on JS there is a cost.

IMO to play 4-3-3 you need attacking full backs. If you don’t it quickly becomes 4-5-1. If we persist with this formation I don’t think we will win.

Agreed. The wingers in the front 3 these days tend to be wide forwards, rather than traditional wingers hugging the touchline, often cutting into the box with the full back providing the width AND giving the opposition defence 2 attacking players to defend against. 

Liverpool and City play 433, but Sterling or Salah aren't the ones providing the width, as that comes from the full backs. Charlie Kirk had an attacking full back (Perry NG) alongside him. 

Our 433 this season with Washington on the left would have worked much better if we had a Maatsen style LB bombing on.
    Perry Ng is a right back. The left back, whose name I forget , was sold to Blackburn in January. 
    Pickering I think.
  • edited August 2021
    People saying other clubs might come in for him at the next window if he does well have seen the terms of his contract then? I mean we hear about players exercising options to extend what about if the club has that option? I haven’t seen his contract either, just putting it out there.
  • I hear we are in for 3 loans from Tesla. The players are only 5’8”  but apparently they have an unending work rate.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!