Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    We are at the Mark Gower and Simon Church level of signing now. This is embarrassing. 
    It's worse. Church was at least a current Welsh international. We have never been reduced to such scraps at any point in the last decade.
    Cedric evina 
    Cedric Evina? He was one of the best players for a team in our division and they desperately wanted to keep him. 
  • CBT is giving me the same vibes as when Chris Dickson visited The Valley the same season when Roland took over, fans desperately trying to convince others it would be a good signing when there's absolutely nothing to suggest otherwise.
  • Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Should play

MacGillivray
    Matthews | Inniss | Famewo | Gunter
       Clare | Dobson | Watson | Morgan
                  Jaiyesimi | Stockley

That will stop people banging on about 442 for a few weeks/days/hours
    As one of those who has previously mentioned that given the lack of players available that can play 4-3-3 we should play 4-4-2, may I just say that to me this is a crap selection.

As a minimum you would need JS and Kirk on the wings and two strikers. As we only have two strikers fit it would have to be them. Four attackers against four defenders. A winger beats his man and there is a gap and no spare man to cover, so if they want to double up on JS there is a cost.

IMO to play 4-3-3 you need attacking full backs. If you don’t it quickly becomes 4-5-1. If we persist with this formation I don’t think we will win.

Last season we had Matthews and Purrington as our "attacking" full backs, seemed to work OK then.  The big difference is the central midfield and making silly mistakes at the back.

I honestly fail to see how taking out a midfielder out and adding a striker makes midfield better. 
    Maatsen made it work, less effective with Purrington I would have said.

I would suggest that by playing it wide instead of lumping it up to a striker standing on his own would mean that you are not giving up possession as frequently, which gives the defence time to re-set.
    I also alluded to the problems you give the opposition when you have a player like JS in your team. The full back will have to think twice before heading up field, and they may have to have a midfielder doubling up on him. When the defence has three against four they have a spare man, in a 4-4-2, if a CH comes across to cover there is a gap.

Pros and cons for any formation, but I think the 4-4-2 would work better for us with the players we have available at this moment in time.
    Under Adkins last season Purrington played almost every game because Maatsen was either injured or playing as a winger.  But I agree a Maatsen type would be preferable.  There is a reason that only 4 teams played 442 last weekend, over the top 3 divisons.

I would also argue that we have invested a significant amount of money in Stockley, Kirk and DJ for the exact reason that we are going to play 433.  

It's the midfield 3 that's the major problem, or has been the problem in the last 2 games, we need more control there.  You still have 2 players wide on each side. Changing to 442, 352 or anything else isn't going to radically change the outcome until the midfield issue is sorted. 

Who is JS? From your description I assume you mean DJ? 
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    CBT is giving me the same vibes as when Chris Dickson visited The Valley the same season when Roland took over, fans desperately trying to convince others it would be a good signing when there's absolutely nothing to suggest otherwise.

• We are at the Mark Gower and Simon Church level of signing now. This is embarrassing. 
    It's worse. Church was at least a current Welsh international. We have never been reduced to such scraps at any point in the last decade.
    Good fucking god. You must not remember Selim Kerkar, Joe Ledley, Josh Parker, Leon Best, Joe Dodoo, Kevin Foley, Rhys Williams, Florent Rouamba or any other of the genuinely bottom of the barrel, there is absolutely no money left being given so pick a living human or have nothing players that we've had over the last ten years. That of course doesn't include the transfer window where we literally weren't allowed to buy anyone because the 'owners' couldn't prove they had the money to pay the cleaners let alone new players. We're looking at a player. We might sign him if we think he's good enough, if we think he isn't we won't. We've already spent over £1m on players this season during the most over-inflated, underfunded transfer market in history. The idea that this is our lowest point transfer-wise is just so myopic it's making my teeth itch. I think I might need to take a break from this place before I have an aneurysm
    Half those players had performed before either on the international stage or at a level equal or above where the club were at the time…. They were shitty signings but this is on another level.

League 2 rejects - I wouldn’t want that forced upon us if we were in league two never mind one of the biggest clubs and supposed automatic promotion contenders in the division above.

this is dire and no amount of burying heads in the sand will change that.

• cfgs said:
    Last week signed a player and it was officially party time on here, the type of player to win us the league and now all of a sudden all of our signings are going to be panic buys.  We all need to find a middle ground when it comes to our emotional swings.
    Kirk needed to be the first of several players of his quality in order to “win us the league”. Still time of course but with the greatest respect to CBT we are not going to do it with players with an attitude problem who couldn’t get a game last season in league two. 
    I was hoping Kirk was going to be the first of four or five such quality signings but that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm assuming we gave him a long deal in case that a) we do get promoted and if not b) we can demand a high fee to put into the next squad rebuilding exercise.
  • We need competition so I'm not against CBT coming in. DJ will likely be injured at some point so we need cover.

Central midfield must be improved on otherwise its going to be a long season 
  • We are at the Mark Gower and Simon Church level of signing now. This is embarrassing. 
    Cedric evina 
    Cedric Evian? He was one of the best players for a team in our division and they desperately wanted to keep him. 
    I’m sure he was probably a watered down version of somebody!!😬
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    CBT is giving me the same vibes as when Chris Dickson visited The Valley the same season when Roland took over, fans desperately trying to convince others it would be a good signing when there's absolutely nothing to suggest otherwise.
    Sadly. This
  • Sponsored links:

• I know nothing about the guy other than his record doesnt really scream out great ability so far. However that doesnt mean he wont wotk out so until he has been given a chance we should all welcome the fella
  • Why is a guy from league 2 that we know very little about such a bad signing, when he is likely to come on and run at tired defences, but the guy from non league (ended up at Huddersfield) was touted on here by many as a low risk gamble worth taking?

what’s the difference? 

This guy might be a dud, he might have genuine potential. Can anyone on here say that they have watched him play 5 times and can provide a genuine assessment?

Kirk was in league 2 just over a year ago, so was the other Crewe guy that people on here are so excited about.  

We signed Bonne from the conference and sold him for a big profit, it can be done.

im so glad that social media and fans forums were not around when we signed Danny mills and illic!!
    Because the non-league player shows potential, this guy does not. 

Playing well at non-league indicates he's above that level. Playing poor/averagely in League two says he's found his. 
  • Why is a guy from league 2 that we know very little about such a bad signing, when he is likely to come on and run at tired defences, but the guy from non league (ended up at Huddersfield) was touted on here by many as a low risk gamble worth taking?

what’s the difference? 

This guy might be a dud, he might have genuine potential. Can anyone on here say that they have watched him play 5 times and can provide a genuine assessment?

Kirk was in league 2 just over a year ago, so was the other Crewe guy that people on here are so excited about.  

We signed Bonne from the conference and sold him for a big profit, it can be done.

im so glad that social media and fans forums were not around when we signed Danny mills and illic!!

Playing well at non-league indicates he's above that level. Playing poor/averagely in League two says he's found his. 
    Maybe you are correct mate but plenty on here keep saying JW is Championship level but he never showed that when playing below that in League One did he ?
  • AndyG said:
    Why is a guy from league 2 that we know very little about such a bad signing, when he is likely to come on and run at tired defences, but the guy from non league (ended up at Huddersfield) was touted on here by many as a low risk gamble worth taking?

what’s the difference? 

Maybe you are correct mate but plenty on here keep saying JW is Championship level but he never showed that when playing below that in League One did he ?
    Where is Williams now? 
    Cedric evina 
    Cedric Evian? He was one of the best players for a team in our division and they desperately wanted to keep him. 
    In fact he was so good they gave him a 6 month contract after his loan.  At 28 he was playing for Romford.

He played an impressive 3 times in our promotion side.  Says a lot about how the money ran out that he played 20 times over the next two seasons though.

He was a young player who was free and worth a punt based on his pedigree alone. Oldham's young player of the year or not.  He wasn't brought in to be first choice. 
  • AndyG said:
    Why is a guy from league 2 that we know very little about such a bad signing, when he is likely to come on and run at tired defences, but the guy from non league (ended up at Huddersfield) was touted on here by many as a low risk gamble worth taking?

what’s the difference? 

Where is Williams now? 
    Setting the world alight at Swindon ?
  • edited August 2021

what’s the difference? 

Another mad comparison! Danny Mills? He was one of the best young players at a team in our division - and not exactly a minnow in Norwich City.

If social media was around when we signed a player like that I dare say the answer is we would have been bloody pleased.

Ilic was signed as cover in a very good side and ended up being a surprise.

We are meant to be signing players now to improve a very shit first 11, not as cover for said shit starting line up (meaning the team doesnt improve)
  • edited August 2021

what’s the difference? 

Another mad comparison! Danny Mills? He was one of the best young players at a team in our division - and not exactly a minnow in Norwich City.

We are meant to be signing players now to improve a very shit first 11, not as cover for said shit starting line up (meaning the team doesnt improve)
    Norwich weren't playing Danny Mills, that's why he left!

When he was picked for the football league U21s Curbs asked all the players to write down where they played.  Mills wrote "I want to play for you".  The rest is history.

Mills was a young player who couldn't get into his current clubs team.  In our division.  At that level it's no different to Dobson or Clare. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:

what’s the difference? 

When he was picked for the football league U21s Curbs asked all the players to write down where they played.  Mills wrote "I want to play for you".  The rest is history.

Mills was a young player who couldn't get into his current clubs team.  I our division.  At that level it's no different to Dobson or Clare. 
    He was on pace to play 25 games for Norwich and was an England youth international.

AND he was joining a team that was already a very good outfit for that level.

Anyway we can agree to disagree on Clare, Dobson and CBT.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

what’s the difference? 

Mills was a young player who couldn't get into his current clubs team.  I our division.  At that level it's no different to Dobson or Clare. 
    He was on pace to play 25 games for Norwich and was an England youth international.

AND he was joining a team that was already a very good outfit for that level.

Anyway we can agree to disagree on Clare, Dobson and CBT.
    I don't disagree about any of them I do completely disagree with your revisionist arguments though. 
  • RedChaser said:
    Don’t know anything about CBT only what I’ve googled and comments on here but let’s give the bloke a chance ffs.

It’s more likely a gamble signing him but like Dobson, Clare and McGivillary (who hasn’t inspired confidence so far), I’m not writing anyone off until I’ve seen them play at least half a dozen games.
    I thought we only gave players 2/3 games now to prove themselves?
  • RedChaser said:
    Don’t know anything about CBT only what I’ve googled and comments on here but let’s give the bloke a chance ffs.

It’s more likely a gamble signing him but like Dobson, Clare and McGivillary (who hasn’t inspired confidence so far), I’m not writing anyone off until I’ve seen them play at least half a dozen games.
    I thought we only gave players 2/3 games now to prove themselves?
    I thought we judged them after 2/3 minutes of a preseason friendly?
  • edited August 2021
    CBT looks like desperation signing to me. Couldn’t get a game last year at Tranmere Rovers in league two. What can we possibly possibly expect to get out of him. 
    For the first time ever in my time on Charlton Life I actually am in the know very slightly, my draughtsman (sorry person) is a season ticket holder at Tranmere and this is what he thinks of CBT 

He is good when he can be arsed really fast and whips it in great when fed the ball. Good player. 
    Well I’m sure he’ll get the chance to impress. Really hope he does. Could you ask why he wasn’t a regular last season if he’s a good player ?
    Have requested information.
    He fell out with Keith Hill and he didn't like him.

He also added the following

Nice lad tho. He was sat in crowd at an away game and sat next to my lads and was talking to them. 

Cor does this mean I’m in the know a little more than slightly now 😀😀😀
    Pressure’s on now. It’ll be relentless. Tell ‘em nothing. 😉
    (Best bit of info in about 100 pages though! 🙂)
  • CBT in the Trophy final against Sunderland. Shirt no. 11. Started off the bench. At 7:55 he leaves two Sunderland defenders for dead and gets a good shot away at goal. https://youtu.be/GDH-Hojltpk
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!