Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• ButtleJR said:
    CBT is a box of tricks with bags of pace, don't write him off. Get his head right and he's a fantastic option for us.
    Lucky we have strong previous knowledge of turning around flair players with attitude problems 
    We do have Adkins now though and this is something he's got a fairly decent record at. Even since he's come here, Gilbey went from scoring 4-5 goals in a season to getting something like 3 in just 10 games.

It may or may not work and there's bigger things going on that may well overshadow the whole thing but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand myself.
  • ButtleJR said:
    CBT is a box of tricks with bags of pace, don't write him off. Get his head right and he's a fantastic option for us.
    Experience tells me that signing players with “problems with attitude” rarely work out well. CBT is not a kid but 23 and should be signing a contract that sets him up for life but instead he’s what is in fact looking like a punt by us because we can’t really sign anyone better. Nobody would be happier than me if he goes on to be brilliant for us but I have to say I have huge doubts. In any case if he signs welcome and do the club and yourself proud. 
  • So the best we can do is CBT?
  • VFR4life said:
    I’ve just been told about the Tranmere winger ‘he’s shit mate’ also that watson and Dobson are both starting tomorrow . But I’ve also been told he think we’re signing him (the winger)
    Haha excellent! Prepared for this not to be confirmed today as is the way! 
  • edited August 2021
    “I am aware of them yes”
    Reminds of the Newman and Baddiel characters!
  • There's nothing in CBT's recent history to suggest a gem

Loan spell at Walsall in 2018/19 - a season when they got relegated from L1
    Moved to Tranmere in 2019/20 - they also got relegated that season from L1
    Squad player for Tranmere in 2020/21 in L2, with talk of him not working hard enough and having attitude problems.
  • VFR4life said:
    I’ve just been told about the Tranmere winger ‘he’s shit mate’ also that watson and Dobson are both starting tomorrow . But I’ve also been told he think we’re signing him (the winger)
    Sounds promising.
    If Watson plays it will be to protect the centre backs, who look shaky, in the way Pratley did at times last year for the same reason. Dobson does not seem able to do it.
  • edited August 2021
    Southbank said:
    More crap & lies then. Adkins quote on Tuesday was ..." he's player that I'm aware of...."

I would bloody hope so if he's been training with us. Or is Adkins blind or just hasn't encountered him on his daily walk around the training pitches.

See, this is what pisses me off. Just say it as it is.

"Yes, the kid has been training with us..."

If you can lie about something so obvious & that can easily be found out, what else are you lying about that can't be.
    He didn't lie. He said he was aware of him.
    That phrase is being frugal with the truth. Being aware of someone is a bit different to. 'He is training with us at the moment actually '. Imagine if RD used such words. 
    Why would RD have ever spoke about a player training with us? 

This current obsession with bringing up RD at the moment is odd. Not digging you out personally, plenty of posters are doing it at the moment. But it needs to stop. Adkins and Sandgaard are light years ahead of RD in terms of football knowledge and care for our club.
    Yet we are at thr lowest point we have EVER been in the league, with a desperately inadequate squad, almost no goal threat and an acceptance by Adkins that we are unable to pay wages needed to attract the best league one players. We have a youth policy at the same time that our youth team has produced fewer young players of real promise than for a long time. We have a promotion strategy which depends on us bucking the trend that promoted teams are the ones who spend the most. How is any of this 'light years' ahead? I hated RD and his regime by the way, but the phrase ' frying pan and fire' comes to mind.
    Such a bizarre take on my post. If you don’t think what we currently have in place is light years ahead of RD regime, then I have no idea what to say to you. 

Anyway, what I specifically said was with “Adkins and Sandgaard we are light years ahead of RD in terms of football knowledge and care for our club”. Do you honestly think RD showed more football knowledge and care for our club than an Adkins and Sandgaard combo?
  • Sponsored links:

• MrBurns said:
    I think CBT could be a top signing
    ButtleJR said:
    No disrespect, but how much of his career have you actually seen?
  • It's a dubious comparison as well for Adkins to compare us with his Scunthorpe sides that he got promoted.

Scunthorpe were a small club at this level, with a small stadium, therefore it's far easier to generate the "we're up against the big boys, lets show 'em" team spirit than it is at Charlton. Every other club will see us as one of the big boys in this division, because that's what we are.

It would be like an Arsenal or Spurs trying to reach the Top 6 this season based on underdog team spirit, nobody would buy it.
    The positive I take from that post is that Charlton are doing everything in their power to dispel the “big boy” image. 
    By losing all our games?
  • Southbank said:
    VFR4life said:
    Sounds promising.
    If Watson plays it will be to protect the centre backs, who look shaky, in the way Pratley did at times last year for the same reason. Dobson does not seem able to do it.

Watson will be even less able to do it
  • Southbank said:
    More crap & lies then. Adkins quote on Tuesday was ..." he's player that I'm aware of...."

I would bloody hope so if he's been training with us. Or is Adkins blind or just hasn't encountered him on his daily walk around the training pitches.

If you can lie about something so obvious & that can easily be found out, what else are you lying about that can't be.
    That phrase is being frugal with the truth. Being aware of someone is a bit different to. 'He is training with us at the moment actually '. Imagine if RD used such words. 

This current obsession with bringing up RD at the moment is odd. Not digging you out personally, plenty of posters are doing it at the moment. But it needs to stop. Adkins and Sandgaard are light years ahead of RD in terms of football knowledge and care for our club.
    Yet we are at thr lowest point we have EVER been in the league, with a desperately inadequate squad, almost no goal threat and an acceptance by Adkins that we are unable to pay wages needed to attract the best league one players. We have a youth policy at the same time that our youth team has produced fewer young players of real promise than for a long time. We have a promotion strategy which depends on us bucking the trend that promoted teams are the ones who spend the most. How is any of this 'light years' ahead? I hated RD and his regime by the way, but the phrase ' frying pan and fire' comes to mind.
    Such a bizarre take on my post. If you don’t think what we currently have in place is light years ahead of RD regime, then I have no idea what to say to you. 
    Do you disagree with any of the points in my post? If not in what areas are we light years ahead of when we were either in the Championship or at the top end of League One?
  • edited August 2021
    Same problem as last season - we can pick two holding mids and provide the protection the back four needs, but surrender all attacking intent, or pick more attacking mids but concede soft goals. Right now I’d favour option one because the “attacking” mids we have don’t look good enough to create chances even if we play all of them together. It’ll be fucking depressing though, after all the initial optimism of the Sandgaard era, we end up watching Watson and Dobson together in midfield. 

Bottom line, our midfield has not been good enough since Aribo and Bielik left. 
  • Think a few will be pleasantly surprised by Blackett-Taylor. 

Very Leko-esque.
    Hope so, can you explain why he barely played last season?
  • Southbank said:
    Southbank said:

Do you disagree with any of the points in my post? If not in what areas are we light years ahead of when we were either in the Championship or at the top end of League One?
    I didn’t say anything about light years ahead with squad or which division we’re in. Made it clear I was talking in terms of football knowledge and care for our club. In those terms we are 100% light years ahead from being under full ownership of RD. 

We may be at our lowest standing in the league, but I don’t believe for one second we’ll finish anywhere close to the relegation spots this season. Summer recruitment has not been great, yet it’s not been awful either. After years of shit off the field and being part of all protests at The Valley, I’m choosing to have some faith in our new owner and manager, and believing they’ll turn this early season poor form around. 
  • Think a few will be pleasantly surprised by Blackett-Taylor. 

Very Leko-esque.
    We badly need that kind of wild card option on the bench. 
  • CBT looks like desperation signing to me. Couldn’t get a game last year at Tranmere Rovers in league two. What can we possibly possibly expect to get out of him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Should play

MacGillivray
    Matthews | Inniss | Famewo | Gunter
       Clare | Dobson | Watson | Morgan
                  Jaiyesimi | Stockley

That will stop people banging on about 442 for a few weeks/days/hours
    As one of those who has previously mentioned that given the lack of players available that can play 4-3-3 we should play 4-4-2, may I just say that to me this is a crap selection.

As a minimum you would need JS and Kirk on the wings and two strikers. As we only have two strikers fit it would have to be them. Four attackers against four defenders. A winger beats his man and there is a gap and no spare man to cover, so if they want to double up on JS there is a cost.

IMO to play 4-3-3 you need attacking full backs. If you don’t it quickly becomes 4-5-1. If we persist with this formation I don’t think we will win.

• We need a creative CM not another winger....
  • Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Should play

MacGillivray
    Matthews | Inniss | Famewo | Gunter
       Clare | Dobson | Watson | Morgan
                  Jaiyesimi | Stockley

That will stop people banging on about 442 for a few weeks/days/hours
    As one of those who has previously mentioned that given the lack of players available that can play 4-3-3 we should play 4-4-2, may I just say that to me this is a crap selection.

As a minimum you would need JS and Kirk on the wings and two strikers. As we only have two strikers fit it would have to be them. Four attackers against four defenders. A winger beats his man and there is a gap and no spare man to cover, so if they want to double up on JS there is a cost.

IMO to play 4-3-3 you need attacking full backs. If you don’t it quickly becomes 4-5-1. If we persist with this formation I don’t think we will win.

Agreed. The wingers in the front 3 these days tend to be wide forwards, rather than traditional wingers hugging the touchline, often cutting into the box with the full back providing the width AND giving the opposition defence 2 attacking players to defend against. 

Liverpool and City play 433, but Sterling or Salah aren't the ones providing the width, as that comes from the full backs. Charlie Kirk had an attacking full back (Perry NG) alongside him. 

Our 433 this season with Washington on the left would have worked much better if we had a Maatsen style LB bombing on.
  • Looks like desperation time. 
    Really really disappointing. 
  • I've watched a lot of clps of CBT this morning to see what he looks like as a player.  He's predominantly a winger but has been known to play up front it seems.

He's quick and direct but doesn't appear to have too many tricks with the exception of a few stepovers.  His body language isn't brilliant when he gets tackled either and this might annoy some fans.  I am not sure he will offer much defensively.
    His directness though it notable.  When he gets on the ball he heads straight towards goal which is nice in a winger.  His crossing was a bit of a mixed bag but not the worst I've seen.
    For a free transfer he is hopefully a low-risk option but if he has a questionable attitude you do have to wonder if our fans will give him the light of day.  

I'd reserve judgement for the minute.  Possible he could surprise a few but not one to get the heart rate up at the moment.
  • PWADDICK said:

Ged Roddy playing left back 

We are not buying a left back and never was in our plans it was always going to be a loan we wanted Maaston back but now we will bring another one ..
  • He won’t be a freebie though, I thought there is compo due to Tranmere? 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!