Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• I believe we have the most expensive season tickets in league 1 so it's no surprise fans would expect us to have one of (if not the) biggest budget
  • Ahhh another day of absolutely nothing! Interested to know what the tweet was about yesterday, 
  • Charlton fans reading over the latest TS or Adkins comments so we can hang them with them later 

This, wish I could both like and LOL this, the way some people keep on quoting TS and NA comments as though they both stood in the centre circle of the pitch in front of a full Valley when they made them.
  • It's a dubious comparison as well for Adkins to compare us with his Scunthorpe sides that he got promoted.

Scunthorpe were a small club at this level, with a small stadium, therefore it's far easier to generate the "we're up against the big boys, lets show 'em" team spirit than it is at Charlton. Every other club will see us as one of the big boys in this division, because that's what we are.

It would be like an Arsenal or Spurs trying to reach the Top 6 this season based on underdog team spirit, nobody would buy it.
    The positive I take from that post is that Charlton are doing everything in their power to dispel the “big boy” image. Before we know it, we will be competing on level terms. 
  • I believe we have the most expensive season tickets in league 1 so it's no surprise fans would expect us to have one of (if not the) biggest budget
    Depends how many of the most expensive of our season tickets have been sold. The majority of our tickets sold are in the covered  end, and they’re not the most expensive option.

I make it we have a cheaper season ticket option than 13 other sides in this league. 

2021/22 League 1 season ticket prices

AFC Wimbledon – £380-£525

Accrington Stanley - £229

Bolton Wanderers – £248-£366

Burton Albion - £301-£423

Cambridge United - £319-£425

Charlton Athletic - £260-£575

Cheltenham Town - £255-£481

Crewe Alexandra - £395

Doncaster Rovers - £299-£395

Fleetwood Town - £170

Gillingham - £321-£435

Ipswich Town - £352-£470

Lincoln City - £359-£429

MK Dons - £230

Morecambe - £150-£300

Oxford United - £329-£500

Plymouth Argyle - £288-£395

Portsmouth - £313

Rotherham United - £355-£395

Sheffield Wednesday - £365-£495

Shrewsbury Town - £305-£465

Sunderland - £340-£465

Wigan Athletic - £299-£369

Wycombe Wanderers - £380-£494

The Upper Covered End is £400 though, that's more expensive than the most expensive seats in many of the northern grounds. 
    It's a false expectation.  If you look at the 18/19 accounts, the last league 1 accounts with a crowd. 

Our "Administrative costs" were just short of £20 million.   Of that about 10 was wages, from everyone from the tea lady to Igor.

Of the other 10 about 4 was "paper money" deprecation, amortisation and interest that was never going to be paid.

The ticket sales and TV money just about cover the other 6 million.

In league 1 the first team is paid by the owner, one way or another.  Season tickets only account for how much else he has to spend or not. 
  • “The points that we got per budget was unbelievable. So it can be done. It can be done with spirit, goalscorers, keeping clean sheets…you don’t have to have the best players; it’s about the whole squad coming together.

“Sometimes you can spend money and have a big squad of players – you can’t keep people happy some of the times.

“We’ve got our budget and we’ve got to work within the restraints of that, like every football club has to go and do. You get the best that you can out of everybody – with a harmony and spirit and desire to keep improving and doing well."

Adkins said this the other day. I have highlighted the most glaring thing we are missing in that. Adkins at least is showing he knows what is needed. He must equally know we haven't got it. Yet!

• Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    So Adkins is saying that the league generally reflects the outlay in wages etc. That we are below where others are in our outlay but that occasionally you can buck the trend.

Not blowing through the league is it. More hope than expectation.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    If its a budget issue then that lies with TS. 
    Which it is. We aren't pay the necessary wages to build the team needed. 
    It appears so now.

I think the statement TS put out when he took over using words like “sustainable” and “long term” are accurate and very much part of the plan.  The bit we may of been sold under false pretences is the 5 year plan.  Because clearly premier league football is way off under this wage structure.

I think we could build a good team on low wages with the right management team around and of course good youth academy, but it’s not gonna be done in one season, we could be in this league for a while, albeit run like a proper football club again, a painful prospect short term, but it could be argued a necessary one.
    That's not a viable plan either though.  Even if we ran a squad of 18 in 2 or 3 grand a week we would lose about 3 or 4 million a year, every year and would be lucky to not get relegated.

You can't run an academy the size of ours, a professional u23 team, pay all the staff, pay the utility bills, policing, stewards etc etc on the TV money the commercial income and season ticket sales. Let alone fund the first team's wages.

If we had lost the penalty shoot out to Doncaster, we would have been looking at a relegation battle the following season.  If we don't fund the first team properly this season that's what we will be looking at next season as well.

Spending little is not a zero cost game. 
    Disagree.

We are paying fees for young players, young players (not all) have sell on value, as does the academy players (not all).  You only need one to shine and you can flog him for 5 million these days. 

In other words, Brentford.
    How do you expect us to to a Brentford? when all these talented young players are asked to do is smash the ball up towards the big blonde lads head.

To me the biggest problem in this whole mess of a pre-season isn't the signings, you don't have to be Phil Foden in L1. It's the absolutely awful style of play and the tactics from 1988 that we are employing - play the right way and you can cut through this league, like Lincoln last year and we did under Bows.

Adkins is getting away with murder right now as we're all fixated on signings... yesterday he said there were things we are doing very, very well... like what, I've not seen anything
  • ButtleJR said:
    Wigan/Ipswich have signed League 1/lower championship standard players IMO, some on close to or above 10k a week. I wouldn't expect us to compete with that. That isn't sustainable at this level. I admit we do need a few bodies in and I still believe this will happen. I'm reserving judgement until the window shuts. As said a day or so ago Gallen was in Crewe Tuesday, hopefully this means we're trying to bring in Lowery as he's the sort of player we're missing.
    We've been beaten and outplayed by Oxford and MK Dons this week, that's the level we currently are at. Two clubs with smaller crowds and lower income than us, and  almost certainly a lower playing budget too.
  • ButtleJR said:
    Wigan/Ipswich have signed League 1/lower championship standard players IMO, some on close to or above 10k a week. I wouldn't expect us to compete with that. That isn't sustainable at this level. I admit we do need a few bodies in and I still believe this will happen. I'm reserving judgement until the window shuts. As said a day or so ago Gallen was in Crewe Tuesday, hopefully this means we're trying to bring in Lowery as he's the sort of player we're missing.
    We've been beaten and outplayed by Oxford and MK Dons this week, that's the level we currently are at. Two clubs with smaller crowds and lower income than us, and  almost certainly a lower playing budget too.
    Cracking rumour.
  • Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    It appears so now.

I think the statement TS put out when he took over using words like “sustainable” and “long term” are accurate and very much part of the plan.  The bit we may of been sold under false pretences is the 5 year plan.  Because clearly premier league football is way off under this wage structure.

I think we could build a good team on low wages with the right management team around and of course good youth academy, but it’s not gonna be done in one season, we could be in this league for a while, albeit run like a proper football club again, a painful prospect short term, but it could be argued a necessary one.
    That's not a viable plan either though.  Even if we ran a squad of 18 in 2 or 3 grand a week we would lose about 3 or 4 million a year, every year and would be lucky to not get relegated.

You can't run an academy the size of ours, a professional u23 team, pay all the staff, pay the utility bills, policing, stewards etc etc on the TV money the commercial income and season ticket sales. Let alone fund the first team's wages.

If we had lost the penalty shoot out to Doncaster, we would have been looking at a relegation battle the following season.  If we don't fund the first team properly this season that's what we will be looking at next season as well.

Disagree.

We are paying fees for young players, young players (not all) have sell on value, as does the academy players (not all).  You only need one to shine and you can flog him for 5 million these days. 

How do you expect us to to a Brentford? when all these talented young players are asked to do is smash the ball up towards the big blonde lads head.

To me the biggest problem in this whole mess of a pre-season isn't the signings, you don't have to be Phil Foden in L1. It's the absolutely awful style of play and the tactics from 1988 that we are employing - play the right way and you can cut through this league, like Lincoln last year and we did under Bows.

Adkins is getting away with murder right now as we're all fixated on signings... yesterday he said there were things we are doing very, very well... like what, I've not seen anything
    Obviously there’s the opening 20 minutes against MK and I thought we played some lovely football throughout the Sheffield game. The finishing was the issue in the opening game, not the build up play. 
  • edited August 2021
    Well, I'd like to think that if this new plan goes tits up... it won't be followed again next season. At the end of the day, we still have a club, which you probably wouldn't have been able to say if TS hadn't saved us. Thomas is a businessman, he won't want to spend too many years paying 10m jusy to stand still. 
  • I think there are two distinct issues with players not scoring their fair share of goals. You have those that may miss a lot but do get chances and those that don't miss a lot because they don't get chances. These players seem to lack the instinct. It is a reason why I can see Morgan scoring goals at some point if his confidence improves but other players less so.
  • Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    It appears so now.

Disagree.

Obviously there’s the opening 20 minutes against MK and I thought we played some lovely football throughout the Sheffield game. The finishing was the issue in the opening game, not the build up play. 
    We never had a shot on target, and it wasn't because we created loads of brilliant chances, but missed them, but rather because we created very little. it was a dull 0-0 draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• see Andre Green left Chef Wendy yesterday for an undisclosed fee to Slovan Bratislava.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Sounds like the budget is tighter than he had originally thought or been told it would be. Okay, we have to cut our cloth accordingly, rightly so. But we definitely are not at the top end of spenders in this league. Probably would sit outside the play-offs with budget I would assume.

Really hope we bring in a few players in the next few days. We can’t leave it all to loans at the end of the window.

For the wide forward type, why Sims has not been mentioned, I don’t know. Maybe he is one who has his demands a bit too high and needs to lower in order to get a contract. Would be a great signing and much better than someone who didn’t do it in League Two last season.

Interested to know who the other player that went to Wigan is that we missed out on. Amos is one, who is the second?
    It depends what you mean by budget.  If you mean total wage bill we are easily in the top 6.  If you mean what we had left of the budget to spend we could well have been around midtable.

I would wager our starting 11 against MK Dons earnt more a week than theirs despite the presents of Morgan and Inniss, who earn relatively little. That's before we bought on Watson and Kirk.
    What presents did Morgan and Innis have?
    Was Father Christmas there gifting goals ?
    Careful Google will be onto you.... 
  • Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    It appears so now.

Disagree.

Better strikers needed then. Shame that 2 of the misssed chances (Sheff W & MK) were by teh player we spent c£500k on. 

maybe the sick/unfit/uninterested guy languishing with the U23's would be worth a punt. 
  • Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    It appears so now.

Disagree.

Better strikers needed then. Shame that 2 of the misssed chances (Sheff W & MK) were by teh player we spent c£500k on. 

maybe the sick/unfit/uninterested guy languishing with the U23's would be worth a punt. 
    Do you think then that players dont miss chances then, and they all take every opportunity they get? :D
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Sounds like the budget is tighter than he had originally thought or been told it would be. Okay, we have to cut our cloth accordingly, rightly so. But we definitely are not at the top end of spenders in this league. Probably would sit outside the play-offs with budget I would assume.

Really hope we bring in a few players in the next few days. We can’t leave it all to loans at the end of the window.

For the wide forward type, why Sims has not been mentioned, I don’t know. Maybe he is one who has his demands a bit too high and needs to lower in order to get a contract. Would be a great signing and much better than someone who didn’t do it in League Two last season.

Interested to know who the other player that went to Wigan is that we missed out on. Amos is one, who is the second?
    It depends what you mean by budget.  If you mean total wage bill we are easily in the top 6.  If you mean what we had left of the budget to spend we could well have been around midtable.

I would wager our starting 11 against MK Dons earnt more a week than theirs despite the presents of Morgan and Inniss, who earn relatively little. That's before we bought on Watson and Kirk.
    What presents did Morgan and Innis have?
    Was Father Christmas there gifting goals ?
    Careful Google will be onto you.... 
    People query such mistakes  by me. It is easily done with predictive txt. Mine has been updated and is worse now . I swear it wilfully changes words behind my back. 

Point is I shall gently call others out until others cut a bit of slack on errors I make and stop being so disingenuous about the obvious.

I am not picking on you , but everyone. I am very mutually inclusive in my outlook.
    Well said sir. I myself picked up on your spelling yesterday but if other posters are going to pick on you for your spelling & then themselves go on to post something with the wrong spelling they should be held to account.

I know, I get picked on enough myself.
  • Say what you will but under Roland we’d of never got this explanation.  They’ve heard the rumblings and groans from us post MK Dons and give us a statement.  

Also, it’s out there now that we can’t compete with certain clubs in this league wages wise, a shame but I guess Wigan and Ipswich might be the only two who pay such wages.
    If you were to take a guess at who are likely to be the 5 clubs paying the biggest wages in this division most people would probably say Ipswich and Wigan as the top 2 then Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and us.

After that probably Rotherham, Portsmouth (who we outbid on wages for Stockley) and Oxford.
  • edited August 2021
    Woe is me!!!!
  • Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    It appears so now.

Disagree.

We never had a shot on target, and it wasn't because we created loads of brilliant chances, but missed them, but rather because we created very little. it was a dull 0-0 draw.
    Why have you highlighted that part of my post and then mentioned about no shots on target? Literally my next sentence says “the finishing was the issue”.  

We had 10 shots on goal that game and none of them on target. That shows we did have some build up play, but finishing let us down. Obviously, there’s a lot of room for improvement, but we have played some good football at times this season, just need to make that part of our game a lot more consistent. 
    But it wasn't just about finishing. It wasn't as if we missed 10 gilt edged chances, most of those shots were speculative ones, or the standard headers under pressure from corners which rarely go in. Morgan should have scored, but so should have Barry Bannon

Most descriptions of the game were that it was a dull spectacle
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!