Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Sounds like the budget is tighter than he had originally thought or been told it would be. Okay, we have to cut our cloth accordingly, rightly so. But we definitely are not at the top end of spenders in this league. Probably would sit outside the play-offs with budget I would assume.

Really hope we bring in a few players in the next few days. We can’t leave it all to loans at the end of the window.

For the wide forward type, why Sims has not been mentioned, I don’t know. Maybe he is one who has his demands a bit too high and needs to lower in order to get a contract. Would be a great signing and much better than someone who didn’t do it in League Two last season.

Interested to know who the other player that went to Wigan is that we missed out on. Amos is one, who is the second?
    It depends what you mean by budget.  If you mean total wage bill we are easily in the top 6.  If you mean what we had left of the budget to spend we could well have been around midtable.

I would wager our starting 11 against MK Dons earnt more a week than theirs despite the presents of Morgan and Inniss, who earn relatively little. That's before we bought on Watson and Kirk.
    What presents did Morgan and Innis have?
    Was Father Christmas there gifting goals ?
    Careful Google will be onto you.... 
    People query such mistakes  by me. It is easily done with predictive txt. Mine has been updated and is worse now . I swear it wilfully changes words behind my back. 

Point is I shall gently call others out until others cut a bit of slack on errors I make and stop being so disingenuous about the obvious.

I am not picking on you , but everyone. I am very mutually inclusive in my outlook.
    Well said sir. I myself picked up on your spelling yesterday but if other posters are going to pick on you for your spelling & then themselves go on to post something with the wrong spelling they should be held to account.

I know, I get picked on enough myself.
    You a scouser? Always the victim, it's never your fault
  • Scoham said:
    Stockley will score goals with the right service. We need to keep the ball better and create more and higher quality chances. Improving the midfield with Kirk and a creative CM (Lowery?) would help, as would having an attacking left back rather than Gunter and a stronger bench.
    Obviously a CAM and left back would make an immediate impact, if they were of the required standard, but you won't get full backs pushing on, let alone bombing, or midfielders running passed Stockley unless we can control the midfield.

You could put Roberto Carlos and Cafu in this team and they wouldn't be able to bomb forward. 
  • Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    If its a budget issue then that lies with TS. 
    Which it is. We aren't pay the necessary wages to build the team needed. 
    It appears so now.

I think the statement TS put out when he took over using words like “sustainable” and “long term” are accurate and very much part of the plan.  The bit we may of been sold under false pretences is the 5 year plan.  Because clearly premier league football is way off under this wage structure.

I think we could build a good team on low wages with the right management team around and of course good youth academy, but it’s not gonna be done in one season, we could be in this league for a while, albeit run like a proper football club again, a painful prospect short term, but it could be argued a necessary one.
    That's not a viable plan either though.  Even if we ran a squad of 18 in 2 or 3 grand a week we would lose about 3 or 4 million a year, every year and would be lucky to not get relegated.

You can't run an academy the size of ours, a professional u23 team, pay all the staff, pay the utility bills, policing, stewards etc etc on the TV money the commercial income and season ticket sales. Let alone fund the first team's wages.

If we had lost the penalty shoot out to Doncaster, we would have been looking at a relegation battle the following season.  If we don't fund the first team properly this season that's what we will be looking at next season as well.

Spending little is not a zero cost game. 
    Disagree.

We are paying fees for young players, young players (not all) have sell on value, as does the academy players (not all).  You only need one to shine and you can flog him for 5 million these days. 

In other words, Brentford.
    How do you expect us to to a Brentford? when all these talented young players are asked to do is smash the ball up towards the big blonde lads head.

To me the biggest problem in this whole mess of a pre-season isn't the signings, you don't have to be Phil Foden in L1. It's the absolutely awful style of play and the tactics from 1988 that we are employing - play the right way and you can cut through this league, like Lincoln last year and we did under Bows.

Adkins is getting away with murder right now as we're all fixated on signings... yesterday he said there were things we are doing very, very well... like what, I've not seen anything
    Obviously there’s the opening 20 minutes against MK and I thought we played some lovely football throughout the Sheffield game. The finishing was the issue in the opening game, not the build up play. 
    I think our views on lovely football may differ. I'd argue 90% of what has been delivered has been straight out of the 80's. Admittedly I didn't have the best view of the first half at MK.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Stockley will score goals with the right service. We need to keep the ball better and create more and higher quality chances. Improving the midfield with Kirk and a creative CM (Lowery?) would help, as would having an attacking left back rather than Gunter and a stronger bench.
    Obviously a CAM and left back would make an immediate impact, if they were of the required standard, but you won't get full backs pushing on, let alone bombing, or midfielders running passed Stockley unless we can control the midfield.

You could put Roberto Carlos and Cafu in this team and they wouldn't be able to bomb forward. 
    Gilbey back could help that too. Are you saying we need to sign more than one CM? I don’t see that happening.
  • More crap & lies then. Adkins quote on Tuesday was ..." he's player that I'm aware of...."

I would bloody hope so if he's been training with us. Or is Adkins blind or just hasn't encountered him on his daily walk around the training pitches.

See, this is what pisses me off. Just say it as it is.

"Yes, the kid has been training with us..."

If you can lie about something so obvious & that can easily be found out, what else are you lying about that can't be.
    He didn't lie. He said he was aware of him.
    That phrase is being frugal with the truth. Being aware of someone is a bit different to. 'He is training with us at the moment actually '. Imagine if RD used such words. 
    Why would RD have ever spoke about a player training with us? 

This current obsession with bringing up RD at the moment is odd. Not digging you out personally, plenty of posters are doing it at the moment. But it needs to stop. Adkins and Sandgaard are light years ahead of RD in terms of football knowledge and care for our club.
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Gilbey back could help that too. Are you saying we need to sign more than one CM? I don’t see that happening.
    I don't know if its signing or shuffling.  We need to find away of controlling the game which we drastically failed to do in the last two games.

I would be strongly tempted to play Morgan and Watson as the 2 tomorrow and Clare in the more advanced role.  Watson and Morgan were very good in those roles against Lincoln and Hull right at the end of last season.  Clare has the energy to get up and passed Stockley.  We miss JFC so much at the moment.

Far from ideal but if you change nothing you will get the same result.  I would consider 3 at the back but we really don't have the players for that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Sounds like the budget is tighter than he had originally thought or been told it would be. Okay, we have to cut our cloth accordingly, rightly so. But we definitely are not at the top end of spenders in this league. Probably would sit outside the play-offs with budget I would assume.

Really hope we bring in a few players in the next few days. We can’t leave it all to loans at the end of the window.

For the wide forward type, why Sims has not been mentioned, I don’t know. Maybe he is one who has his demands a bit too high and needs to lower in order to get a contract. Would be a great signing and much better than someone who didn’t do it in League Two last season.

Interested to know who the other player that went to Wigan is that we missed out on. Amos is one, who is the second?
    It depends what you mean by budget.  If you mean total wage bill we are easily in the top 6.  If you mean what we had left of the budget to spend we could well have been around midtable.

I would wager our starting 11 against MK Dons earnt more a week than theirs despite the presents of Morgan and Inniss, who earn relatively little. That's before we bought on Watson and Kirk.
    What presents did Morgan and Innis have?
    Was Father Christmas there gifting goals ?
    Careful Google will be onto you.... 
    People query such mistakes  by me. It is easily done with predictive txt. Mine has been updated and is worse now . I swear it wilfully changes words behind my back. 

Point is I shall gently call others out until others cut a bit of slack on errors I make and stop being so disingenuous about the obvious.

I am not picking on you , but everyone. I am very mutually inclusive in my outlook.
    Well said sir. I myself picked up on your spelling yesterday but if other posters are going to pick on you for your spelling & then themselves go on to post something with the wrong spelling they should be held to account.

I know, I get picked on enough myself.

:) 
  • I'll say this again.

Charlton, Ipswich, Sunderland and probably Portsmouth and Wigan are not sustainable clubs in league 1.  Not if they spend 1k a week or 10k a week on a player.

It's not if your hemerage money it's how much and for how long. 
  • Southbank said:
    More crap & lies then. Adkins quote on Tuesday was ..." he's player that I'm aware of...."

I would bloody hope so if he's been training with us. Or is Adkins blind or just hasn't encountered him on his daily walk around the training pitches.

If you can lie about something so obvious & that can easily be found out, what else are you lying about that can't be.
    That phrase is being frugal with the truth. Being aware of someone is a bit different to. 'He is training with us at the moment actually '. Imagine if RD used such words. 

This current obsession with bringing up RD at the moment is odd. Not digging you out personally, plenty of posters are doing it at the moment. But it needs to stop. Adkins and Sandgaard are light years ahead of RD in terms of football knowledge and care for our club.
    Yet we are at thr lowest point we have EVER been in the league, with a desperately inadequate squad, almost no goal threat and an acceptance by Adkins that we are unable to pay wages needed to attract the best league one players. We have a youth policy at the same time that our youth team has produced fewer young players of real promise than for a long time. We have a promotion strategy which depends on us bucking the trend that promoted teams are the ones who spend the most. How is any of this 'light years' ahead? I hated RD and his regime by the way, but the phrase ' frying pan and fire' comes to mind.
    Out of the frying pan (ie nearly going out of business) into a sustainable club that might not get promoted based on financial realities, in a season that's 3 games old?
    Here you go, this might be more your speed if you think not being handed promotion is a disaster on the level of the club being asset stripped: https://www.chelseafc.com/en
    Which club are you contrasting us with? Arsenal, who have never been relegated from the top league, or Chelsea, one of the most successful clubs in the world in the past 10 years or so.?

We are no more 'sustainable' as a struggling League 1 club than we were under any of the previous inadequate regimes. League I is not the level I want us to be at, nor has it been for most of the past. We have a support base than can support Champoinship football and that is what we should be aiming to achieve, as a minimum. I have no idea why a very rich man should wish to own a football club unless he wished to make it successful, not just allow it to eke out an existence. Success in any business depends on investment, not luck, a point Adkins himeself made today when admitting that it is the clubs who spend money that get promoted. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I'll say this again.

Charlton, Ipswich, Sunderland and probably Portsmouth and Wigan are not sustainable clubs in league 1.  Not if they spend 1k a week or 10k a week on a player.

It's not if your hemerage money it's how much and for how long. 
    Unless they sell a big prospect for x amount of millions and reinvest some of the funds.
  • Another week slipping away 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I don't know if its signing or shuffling.  We need to find away of controlling the game which we drastically failed to do in the last two games.

I would be strongly tempted to play Morgan and Watson as the 2 tomorrow and Clare in the more advanced role.  Watson and Morgan were very good in those roles against Lincoln and Hull right at the end of last season.  Clare has the energy to get up and passed Stockley.  We miss JFC so much at the moment.

Far from ideal but if you change nothing you will get the same result.  I would consider 3 at the back but we really don't have the players for that. 
    Why would we put a player with no goal scoring record in that position? I agree we miss JFC and to be fair Gilbey. Those two make the midfield much stronger. Personally, I'm not sure what we can do with the midfield as it stands other than hope Morgan takes a big step forward or try to bypass it and compete when we haven't got the ball.
  • Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    More crap & lies then. Adkins quote on Tuesday was ..." he's player that I'm aware of...."

Yet we are at thr lowest point we have EVER been in the league, with a desperately inadequate squad, almost no goal threat and an acceptance by Adkins that we are unable to pay wages needed to attract the best league one players. We have a youth policy at the same time that our youth team has produced fewer young players of real promise than for a long time. We have a promotion strategy which depends on us bucking the trend that promoted teams are the ones who spend the most. How is any of this 'light years' ahead? I hated RD and his regime by the way, but the phrase ' frying pan and fire' comes to mind.
    Out of the frying pan (ie nearly going out of business) into a sustainable club that might not get promoted based on financial realities, in a season that's 3 games old?
    Here you go, this might be more your speed if you think not being handed promotion is a disaster on the level of the club being asset stripped: https://www.chelseafc.com/en
    Which club are you contrasting us with? Arsenal, who have never been relegated from the top league, or Chelsea, one of the most successful clubs in the world in the past 10 years or so.?

We are no more 'sustainable' as a struggling League 1 club than we were under any of the previous inadequate regimes. League I is not the level I want us to be at, nor has it been for most of the past. We have a support base than can support Champoinship football and that is what we should be aiming to achieve, as a minimum. I have no idea why a very rich man should wish to own a football club unless he wished to make it successful, not just allow it to eke out an existence. Success in any business depends on investment, not luck, a point Adkins himeself made today when admitting that it is the clubs who spend money that get promoted. 
    Eh? I'm not contrasting us with anyone, I'm telling you that if you're going to collapse in on yourself when we don't win our first three league games and tantrum that we're worse off than we were under ESI then you should go off and support Chelsea, where you'll get all the big signings and fun wins you can handle. I also want us to be a success, but claiming that we're just as sustainable under an owner that cares and can afford to finance it against a bunch of chancers who took all the money they could out of the club, or an old man who hated us and literally didn't care about football and did the bare minimum is just stupid. We don't have a right to promotion, we've made some decent signings but not enough yet. We've made a poor start. Other than that, grow up. It's a 46 game season. If we don't go up this season then we'll go again next year, and if you're going to cry that it's NOT GOOD ENOUGH every time you don't get what you want then you're in for a miserable life
  • Southbank said:

I think most of points here are absolutely valid. I’m not quite sure Sandgaard is the fire to Duchatelets frying pan but the rest I agree with. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Southbank said:

In bazaro land club captain Jonjo Shelvey is just about to make his 600th appearance for Charlton as the early championship pace setters prepare for a 6 pointer with Fulham. 

Karlan Grant will be looking to add to his opening day hattrick as he looks to regain his golden boot.  His hopes are bolstered but the return to fitness of last seasons POTY Joe Aribo. 

Alan Curbishley (who replaced the disgraced Alan Pardew soon after the Zabeel take over) 's young attacking side rebuilt after the record sale of Konsa to Arsenal have introduced young wing back Alfie Doughty and starlet Jeremy Sarmiento to the first team this season.

In the real world out youth team have stopped producing talent because Roland flogged them all or failed to give them proper contracts!  If he had the slightest bit of sense with could have a championship side with 4 or 5 20-25 year olds in from our academy.  In contrast we have just signed the most 1st year pros ever.  That's really comparable isn't it! 
  • Chunes said:
    Based on the recent interviews from TS and NA I'm... speechless? I didn't expect us to spend our way out of this league but I never dreamed we would be scraping the barrel.

Last season's squad was the absolute pits. It was awful. Never in a thousand years did I imagine we would be in a new season with a squad that's even worse. In fact, our new squad is so bad that we look back on last year's squad with glee. How is that even possible.

Even Nigel sounds discouraged. I really don't know what to say. Seems like Thomas is going to learn a few harsh lessons over the next year. Sadly for us fans we have learnt these lessons already and we look know exactly what's coming. 
    This with bells on.
  • CafcSCP said:
    Southbank said:

That's probably the biggest overreaction I have seen yet.
    We aren't in a great place, but I prefer this place to anything under RD.
    The bloke wrecked a squad that had real potential to push on in the championship having narrowly missed out on the playoffs.
    It needed 2-3 additions. He sold Standard Liege for 24m got 10mil for Batsuahi or whatever his name was in a sell on from Marseilles to Chelsea.
    5 - 10 mil could have really pushed us over the line.
    Nope, lets give away our talisman striker to Bournemouth, who went on to scre 20+ for Bournemouth and Stephens for 400K.
    Both end up in the Premier league.
    He was a madman.

I'd rather have TS any day.
    It doesn't mean I'm not frustrated by the transfer window and promises, but to this point, TS doesn't seem to be running us into the ground.

Roland made many mistakes, but in his defence here the problem was that the contracts were allowed to run down by the Spivs, after they ran out of money. He inherited a squad full of players with 6 months left on their contracts

Stephens was out of contract in the summer, if we hadn't have sold him he would have left on a free anyway (like Hamer did)

And while the Yann decision was wrong (nothing that he was also out of contract in the summer), I bet Bournemouth were also paying silly wages, judging at how they failed the FFP rules.

• Leuth said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    I believe that CBT has signed. 
    Good. Some of our fans bloody need it 
    Do you mean CBD? 😉
  • edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Why would we put a player with no goal scoring record in that position? I agree we miss JFC and to be fair Gilbey. Those two make the midfield much stronger. Personally, I'm not sure what we can do with the midfield as it stands other than hope Morgan takes a big step forward or try to bypass it and compete when we haven't got the ball.
    Given we don't have any midfielders with good goal records available right now I can see the logic in trying Clare further forward. He is not going to be a direct goal threat but he could bring a bit of physicality and presence to draw defenders away from Stockley.

It's hardly ideal but the current version of the midfield doesn't seem to be consistently good so a change has to at least be considered. If it doesn't work so be it but I can't see we'd have lost anything in the attempt
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!