Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• We are at the Mark Gower and Simon Church level of signing now. 

No more then Ipswich and Wigan have done filling there squad numbers .. Wigan wanted Taylor but could not afford the compensation and wages 
  • ct_addick said:
    We need a creative CM not another winger....
    We need both... We've got two natural wingers at the club; Kirk and Jaiyesimi.

Not enough squad depth in those areas at present

At least with Morgan, we know that Alex Gilbey will be back (soonish) to compete with that slot in midfield

Same with Clare and Forster-Caskey | Dobson and Watson

With the first two mentioned, we have no one, other than Washington (who is a Striker) or Clayden (an unproven U23)
    Agree though I’d say Clare is competition for Gilbey with Morgan the alternative to JFC. Hopefully we’ll sign Lowery or similar and he’ll add more creativity than Morgan or JFC.
  • edited August 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Should play

MacGillivray
    Matthews | Inniss | Famewo | Gunter
       Clare | Dobson | Watson | Morgan
                  Jaiyesimi | Stockley

That will stop people banging on about 442 for a few weeks/days/hours
    As one of those who has previously mentioned that given the lack of players available that can play 4-3-3 we should play 4-4-2, may I just say that to me this is a crap selection.

As a minimum you would need JS and Kirk on the wings and two strikers. As we only have two strikers fit it would have to be them. Four attackers against four defenders. A winger beats his man and there is a gap and no spare man to cover, so if they want to double up on JS there is a cost.

IMO to play 4-3-3 you need attacking full backs. If you don’t it quickly becomes 4-5-1. If we persist with this formation I don’t think we will win.

Last season we had Matthews and Purrington as our "attacking" full backs, seemed to work OK then.  The big difference is the central midfield and making silly mistakes at the back.

I honestly fail to see how taking out a midfielder out and adding a striker makes midfield better. 
  • CBT looks like desperation signing to me. Couldn’t get a game last year at Tranmere Rovers in league two. What can we possibly possibly expect to get out of him. 
    For the first time ever in my time on Charlton Life I actually am in the know very slightly, my draughtsman (sorry person) is a season ticket holder at Tranmere and this is what he thinks of CBT 

He is good when he can be arsed really fast and whips it in great when fed the ball. Good player. 
    But why couldn’t he get in their team last season?
  • Scoham said:
    CBT looks like desperation signing to me. Couldn’t get a game last year at Tranmere Rovers in league two. What can we possibly possibly expect to get out of him. 
    For the first time ever in my time on Charlton Life I actually am in the know very slightly, my draughtsman (sorry person) is a season ticket holder at Tranmere and this is what he thinks of CBT 

He is good when he can be arsed really fast and whips it in great when fed the ball. Good player. 
    I said I was in the know very slightly, I haven’t got a clue, and I wasn’t told that sorry. Next time I speak to him, if I remember I will ask.
  • CBT looks like desperation signing to me. Couldn’t get a game last year at Tranmere Rovers in league two. What can we possibly possibly expect to get out of him. 

Well I’m sure he’ll get the chance to impress. Really hope he does. Could you ask why he wasn’t a regular last season if he’s a good player ?
  • Sponsored links:

• CBT wont be first choice and as an option off the bench he sounds like he'd be a nightmare against tiring legs 
  • We are at the Mark Gower and Simon Church level of signing now. This is embarrassing. 
    It's worse. Church was at least a current Welsh international. We have never been reduced to such scraps at any point in the last decade.

Well I’m sure he’ll get the chance to impress. Really hope he does. Could you ask why he wasn’t a regular last season if he’s a good player ?
    Have requested information.
  • Scoham said:
    CBT looks like desperation signing to me. Couldn’t get a game last year at Tranmere Rovers in league two. What can we possibly possibly expect to get out of him. 

Didn’t someone say that Tranmere manager last season was a massive prick? To the point where he got sacked when they were doing well. Might have been a falling out. 
  • cfgs said:
    Last week signed a player and it was officially party time on here, the type of player to win us the league and now all of a sudden all of our signings are going to be panic buys.  We all need to find a middle ground when it comes to our emotional swings.
    Sorry, no middle ground here. 

It’s only party or panic. 
  • Scoham said:

Didn’t someone say that Tranmere manager last season was a massive prick? To the point where he got sacked when they were doing well. Might have been a falling out. 
    https://theathletic.com/2570898/2021/05/12/fear-over-fickle-fans-returning-and-life-sucked-out-of-training-why-tranmere-sacked-their-manager-before-the-play-offs/
  • cfgs said:
    Last week signed a player and it was officially party time on here, the type of player to win us the league and now all of a sudden all of our signings are going to be panic buys.  We all need to find a middle ground when it comes to our emotional swings.
    Kirk needed to be the first of several players of his quality in order to “win us the league”. Still time of course but with the greatest respect to CBT we are not going to do it with players with an attitude problem who couldn’t get a game last season in league two. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Our squad is so bad we're going to have to play during the international breaks :grimace:
  • edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Should play

MacGillivray
    Matthews | Inniss | Famewo | Gunter
       Clare | Dobson | Watson | Morgan
                  Jaiyesimi | Stockley

That will stop people banging on about 442 for a few weeks/days/hours
    As one of those who has previously mentioned that given the lack of players available that can play 4-3-3 we should play 4-4-2, may I just say that to me this is a crap selection.

As a minimum you would need JS and Kirk on the wings and two strikers. As we only have two strikers fit it would have to be them. Four attackers against four defenders. A winger beats his man and there is a gap and no spare man to cover, so if they want to double up on JS there is a cost.

IMO to play 4-3-3 you need attacking full backs. If you don’t it quickly becomes 4-5-1. If we persist with this formation I don’t think we will win.

Last season we had Matthews and Purrington as our "attacking" full backs, seemed to work OK then.  The big difference is the central midfield and making silly mistakes at the back.

I honestly fail to see how taking out a midfielder out and adding a striker makes midfield better. 
    Maatsen made it work, less effective with Purrington I would have said.

I would suggest that by playing it wide instead of lumping it up to a striker standing on his own would mean that you are not giving up possession as frequently, which gives the defence time to re-set.
    I also alluded to the problems you give the opposition when you have a player like JS in your team. The full back will have to think twice before heading up field, and they may have to have a midfielder doubling up on him. When the defence has three against four they have a spare man, in a 4-4-2, if a CH comes across to cover there is a gap.

Pros and cons for any formation, but I think the 4-4-2 would work better for us with the players we have available at this moment in time.
  • edited August 2021

Have requested information.
    He fell out with Keith Hill and he didn't like him.

He also added the following

Nice lad tho. He was sat in crowd at an away game and sat next to my lads and was talking to them. 

Cor does this mean I’m in the know a little more than slightly now 😀😀😀
    Some great ITK stuff here. Good to hear that his playing time sounds like it was reduced to manager issues, rather than him just being a poor footballer. Fast and a good crosser is something that will be very useful. 
    Do wonder whether the "attitude problem" was a poor attitude by CBT or due to poor man management. Hopefully if it is the latter Adkins' style will be more to his liking.

Can't pretend to be thrilled at the prospect of a L2 winger coming on board but given we have only DJ with any semblance of pace it wouldn't hurt to have a speedy, direct player to run at people late on.
  • ButtleJR said:
    CBT is a box of tricks with bags of pace, don't write him off. Get his head right and he's a fantastic option for us.
    Experience tells me that signing players with “problems with attitude” rarely work out well. CBT is not a kid but 23 and should be signing a contract that sets him up for life but instead he’s what is in fact looking like a punt by us because we can’t really sign anyone better. Nobody would be happier than me if he goes on to be brilliant for us but I have to say I have huge doubts. In any case if he signs welcome and do the club and yourself proud. 
    Couldn't put it better myself. 
  • Swisdom said:
    I've watched a lot of clps of CBT this morning to see what he looks like as a player.  He's predominantly a winger but has been known to play up front it seems.

He's quick and direct but doesn't appear to have too many tricks with the exception of a few stepovers.  His body language isn't brilliant when he gets tackled either and this might annoy some fans.  I am not sure he will offer much defensively.
    His directness though it notable.  When he gets on the ball he heads straight towards goal which is nice in a winger.  His crossing was a bit of a mixed bag but not the worst I've seen.
    For a free transfer he is hopefully a low-risk option but if he has a questionable attitude you do have to wonder if our fans will give him the light of day.  

I'd reserve judgement for the minute.  Possible he could surprise a few but not one to get the heart rate up at the moment.
    In other words he's shit.
  • We are at the Mark Gower and Simon Church level of signing now. This is embarrassing. 
    It's worse. Church was at least a current Welsh international. We have never been reduced to such scraps at any point in the last decade.
    Cedric evina 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!