Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• We are at the Mark Gower and Simon Church level of signing now. This is embarrassing. 
    It's worse. Church was at least a current Welsh international. We have never been reduced to such scraps at any point in the last decade.
    Good fucking god. You must not remember Selim Kerkar, Joe Ledley, Josh Parker, Leon Best, Joe Dodoo, Kevin Foley, Rhys Williams, Florent Rouamba or any other of the genuinely bottom of the barrel, there is absolutely no money left being given so pick a living human or have nothing players that we've had over the last ten years. That of course doesn't include the transfer window where we literally weren't allowed to buy anyone because the 'owners' couldn't prove they had the money to pay the cleaners let alone new players. We're looking at a player. We might sign him if we think he's good enough, if we think he isn't we won't. We've already spent over £1m on players this season during the most over-inflated, underfunded transfer market in history. The idea that this is our lowest point transfer-wise is just so myopic it's making my teeth itch. I think I might need to take a break from this place before I have an aneurysm
    I mean this is a great post but you have done Kerkar wrong my friend, O God you have done him wrong
  • We are at the Mark Gower and Simon Church level of signing now. This is embarrassing. 
    It's worse. Church was at least a current Welsh international. We have never been reduced to such scraps at any point in the last decade.
    Good fucking god. You must not remember Selim Kerkar, Joe Ledley, Josh Parker, Leon Best, Joe Dodoo, Kevin Foley, Rhys Williams, Florent Rouamba or any other of the genuinely bottom of the barrel, there is absolutely no money left being given so pick a living human or have nothing players that we've had over the last ten years. That of course doesn't include the transfer window where we literally weren't allowed to buy anyone because the 'owners' couldn't prove they had the money to pay the cleaners let alone new players. We're looking at a player. We might sign him if we think he's good enough, if we think he isn't we won't. We've already spent over £1m on players this season during the most over-inflated, underfunded transfer market in history. The idea that this is our lowest point transfer-wise is just so myopic it's making my teeth itch. I think I might need to take a break from this place before I have an aneurysm
    Josh Parker!? Playoff final legend mate. Unsung hero. Leon Best gave it plenty as well, in his handful of appearances. 
  • Fine - happy to concede and accept he has some talent.

Fingers crossed he does the biz and we are at the sharp end come May.
  • RedChaser said:
    Don’t know anything about CBT only what I’ve googled and comments on here but let’s give the bloke a chance ffs.

It’s more likely a gamble signing him but like Dobson, Clare and McGivillary (who hasn’t inspired confidence so far), I’m not writing anyone off until I’ve seen them play at least half a dozen games.
    I thought we only gave players 2/3 games now to prove themselves?
    Adkins has had enough games in charge too! Surely time for a change as we’re not top 6 after 3 games! 😉
  • Leuth said:
    We are at the Mark Gower and Simon Church level of signing now. This is embarrassing. 
    I mean this is a great post but you have done Kerkar wrong my friend, O God you have done him wrong
    Saw him score in our record 6-0 away win at Barnsley, had to double check with my son it had just happened 😯.
  • edited August 2021
    Yeah doesn’t look we’re signing CTB, not today anyway! Sounds quite familiar to the time some said we were/had signed Madger Gomes! That didn’t happen either. 
  • Friends of mine are season ticket holders at Tranmere, on CBT he’s typical lower league winger, can be very good but definitely has attitude problems, think he’s going to be very marmite.
  • Why is a guy from league 2 that we know very little about such a bad signing, when he is likely to come on and run at tired defences, but the guy from non league (ended up at Huddersfield) was touted on here by many as a low risk gamble worth taking?

what’s the difference? 

This guy might be a dud, he might have genuine potential. Can anyone on here say that they have watched him play 5 times and can provide a genuine assessment?

Kirk was in league 2 just over a year ago, so was the other Crewe guy that people on here are so excited about.  

We signed Bonne from the conference and sold him for a big profit, it can be done.

im so glad that social media and fans forums were not around when we signed Danny mills and illic!!
    Because the non-league player shows potential, this guy does not. 

Playing well at non-league indicates he's above that level. Playing poor/averagely in League two says he's found his. 
    how many times have you seen them both to make that judgement or are you making that judgement on what you have read?  There is a big difference.
  • Why is a guy from league 2 that we know very little about such a bad signing, when he is likely to come on and run at tired defences, but the guy from non league (ended up at Huddersfield) was touted on here by many as a low risk gamble worth taking?

what’s the difference? 

This guy might be a dud, he might have genuine potential. Can anyone on here say that they have watched him play 5 times and can provide a genuine assessment?

Kirk was in league 2 just over a year ago, so was the other Crewe guy that people on here are so excited about.  

We signed Bonne from the conference and sold him for a big profit, it can be done.

im so glad that social media and fans forums were not around when we signed Danny mills and illic!!
    Another mad comparison! Danny Mills? He was one of the best young players at a team in our division - and not exactly a minnow in Norwich City.

If social media was around when we signed a player like that I dare say the answer is we would have been bloody pleased.

Ilic was signed as cover in a very good side and ended up being a surprise.

We are meant to be signing players now to improve a very shit first 11, not as cover for said shit starting line up (meaning the team doesnt improve)
    Why is a guy from league 2 that we know very little about such a bad signing, when he is likely to come on and run at tired defences, but the guy from non league (ended up at Huddersfield) was touted on here by many as a low risk gamble worth taking?

what’s the difference? 

Another mad comparison! Danny Mills? He was one of the best young players at a team in our division - and not exactly a minnow in Norwich City.

If social media was around when we signed a player like that I dare say the answer is we would have been bloody pleased.

Ilic was signed as cover in a very good side and ended up being a surprise.

We are meant to be signing players now to improve a very shit first 11, not as cover for said shit starting line up (meaning the team doesnt improve)
    Danny Mills was not getting in the Norwich team when we signed him.  We signed a young player from the reserves of a team in our league, gave him a chance under a good manager that knew how to handle him and turned him into a very good premier league player.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    CBT looks like desperation signing to me. Couldn’t get a game last year at Tranmere Rovers in league two. What can we possibly possibly expect to get out of him. 
    For the first time ever in my time on Charlton Life I actually am in the know very slightly, my draughtsman (sorry person) is a season ticket holder at Tranmere and this is what he thinks of CBT 

He is good when he can be arsed really fast and whips it in great when fed the ball. Good player. 
    Well I’m sure he’ll get the chance to impress. Really hope he does. Could you ask why he wasn’t a regular last season if he’s a good player ?
    Have requested information.
    He fell out with Keith Hill and he didn't like him.

He also added the following

Nice lad tho. He was sat in crowd at an away game and sat next to my lads and was talking to them. 

Cor does this mean I’m in the know a little more than slightly now 😀😀😀
    Pressure’s on now. It’ll be relentless. Tell ‘em nothing. 😉
    (Best bit of info in about 100 pages though! 🙂)
    Let’s be honest, that wasn’t difficult.
  • Dear god we need a win tomorrow

what’s the difference? 

Because the non-league player shows potential, this guy does not. 

Playing well at non-league indicates he's above that level. Playing poor/averagely in League two says he's found his. 
    how many times have you seen them both to make that judgement or are you making that judgement on what you have read?  There is a big difference.
    I’ve never seen the guy genuinely impressed by a Charlton or England player….
  • Dear god we need a win tomorrow
    Unfortunately I don't think he wears red and white....I fear a 1-2 loss.
  • JamesSeed said:
    CBT looks like desperation signing to me. Couldn’t get a game last year at Tranmere Rovers in league two. What can we possibly possibly expect to get out of him. 
    For the first time ever in my time on Charlton Life I actually am in the know very slightly, my draughtsman (sorry person) is a season ticket holder at Tranmere and this is what he thinks of CBT 

He is good when he can be arsed really fast and whips it in great when fed the ball. Good player. 
    Well I’m sure he’ll get the chance to impress. Really hope he does. Could you ask why he wasn’t a regular last season if he’s a good player ?
    Have requested information.
    He fell out with Keith Hill and he didn't like him.

He also added the following

Nice lad tho. He was sat in crowd at an away game and sat next to my lads and was talking to them. 

Cor does this mean I’m in the know a little more than slightly now 😀😀😀
    Pressure’s on now. It’ll be relentless. Tell ‘em nothing. 😉
    (Best bit of info in about 100 pages though! 🙂)
    Let’s be honest, that wasn’t difficult.
    Ouch...that told us didn't it B)
  • Leeds are reportedly looking to sell this versatile youngster .. will we go for him ? .. will we fuch .. Robbie Gotts - Wikipedia .. or this one, another surplus to requirements at Elland Road .. Niall Huggins - Wikipedia
  • MattF said:
    Taken from a Crewe Alex fan on Twitter, don't know where this appeared exactly but interesting read re. Lowery

His agent sounds like a right bell end. Advising him to not bother playing for a year.

Agent a nob but doing his job.  The player isn't a baby and should have his own view and sense of loyalty (or not) for being given a chance by Crewe.  Players should not be so easily allowed to hide behind their agents.
  • edited August 2021
    se9addick said:

I thought Adkins said he did well at Villa.....in reality NA clearly has no idea about his past/experience as he barely played for them.

Worrying signs about our transfer policy if the manager has no idea who is coming through the door.
  • I do feel some people could do with stop insinuating Adkins, Sandgaard etc are liars. A bit unnecessary. 

We have no idea about the truth behind recruitment, understandable to be frustrated it, but some of the comments recently towards people who work for our club is way over the top. 

It’s now being suggested budget is an issue, yet until recently one of the reasons for lack of signings was that we were too ambitious with who we wanted and they went to Championship sides or Ipswich/Wigan with inflated wages. Both can’t be true, which makes even more sense that we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. 

I know we’ve been burnt badly, several times, but the constant negativity and refusal to trust anyone isn’t doing us any good.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m probably a bit strange but with young players I like the idea of “having a bit of an attitude”.  The idea that you could uncover some diamond in the rough because he hasn’t found the right team yet (and sorted his attitude out).  The guy is behind two good league one wingers in DJ and Kirk, I don’t see the issue here.  It could go either way obviously but with a young squad player I think you might as well take a punt sometimes.
  • edited August 2021
    se9addick said:

I thought Adkins said he did well at Villa.....in reality NA clearly has no idea about his past/experience as he barely played for them.

Worrying signs about our transfer policy if the manager has no idea who is coming through the door.
    Perhaps Adkins meant he did well at Villa as a young player coming through the academy? Was he playing u23 football as a 17 year old perhaps? Be interesting to hear him expand on what he meant if we do sign him.
  • Deal til January only? Hard not to read into that.
  • Leuth said:
    2 midfielders and a left-back is the minimum requirement now
    I'd add a striker to that
    Treating Washington, Davison and Schwartz as back-ups is probably enough, although obviously a good one becomes available we should go for it. Left-back and midfield are where there remain glaring deficiencies
  • Leuth said:
    2 midfielders and a left-back is the minimum requirement now
    Still not convinced Deji 2 should be cover for Inniss but it’s looking like it’ll happen.
  • CBT in the Trophy final against Sunderland. Shirt no. 11. Started off the bench. At 7:55 he leaves two Sunderland defenders for dead and gets a good shot away at goal. https://youtu.be/GDH-Hojltpk
    Can’t believe they were still playing at 7.55 when it kicked off at 3.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!