Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• We should be asking Chelsea about Dujon Sterling.
    Isnt he predominately a Right-Back?
    Yes, and he’s streets ahead of what we have. Add Purrington for four full backs across both sides. Bite the bullet and accept that Gunter and Matthews will have to be cover for both right and left back until at least January.
    Stop trolling on here Southgate and sod off back to Palace!! ;)

In all seriousness, if we are restricted with the budget I'd rather not waste it on areas where are covered

Matthews / Gunter @ Right-Back arent perfect, but there are bigger problems elsewhere
  • edited August 2021
    We should be asking Chelsea about Dujon Sterling.
    Yes, and he’s streets ahead of what we have. Add Purrington for four full backs across both sides. Bite the bullet and accept that Gunter and Matthews will have to be cover for both right and left back until at least January.

In all seriousness, if we are restricted with the budget I'd rather not waste it on areas where are covered

Matthews / Gunter @ Right-Back arent perfect, but there are bigger problems elsewhere
    This is probably why we won’t but if he’s available at the right price, he should be brought in. 

You can’t let holes elsewhere stop you from pushing the squad forward overall. We can’t take a good quality full back because we’ve already sunk money into bad contracts for over the hill players. That’s not smart long term club building.
  • Maccn05 said:
    We should be asking Chelsea about Dujon Sterling.

You say that but a key element to playing 433 is having attacking full backs to provide width when wingers / inside forwards to stockley 

… and Matthew’s looks like he’ll have a heart attack every time he passes half way. Our fullbacks are poor!
    This precisely

Adkins said the wanted younger players and the squad was severely lacking in mobility last season - I was disappointed that we signed Matthews again - we now have 2 right backs and 1 injured left back who don't get forward enough to work on the overlap with the wingers - this along with the lack of fire power up front and creativity in midfield means we have a squad that will be lucky to finish mid table.

Totally fed up with seeing the sideways, backwards, sideways, backwards passing followed by hoofball and loss of possession yet nearly every other Lge 1 team seem to have more energy and movement in midfield and out wide and just pass the ball round our pathetic midfield.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    The problem is that even a stable Championship side loses as much or more money than a league 1 side.  

Our owner seriously under estimated the cost of running a football club in this country.  Besides which wages are ridiculous in football . 

I wouldn’t blame TS if it decided it was too much. Standing still appears to cost 10 million a year and the cost of a ticket is way short of covering the true cost to break even.

That is why we have signed players others didn't rate and our midfield isn't anywhere near good enough to accommodate 433. Without it our wingers have no threat plus we are short on full backs to support it.  We lack a threat so opposition teams just suss us out in 10 minutes. 
    That’s not necessarily true. At least in the Championship you have about £7-8m more in income to play with and you are more likely to develop players that command big fees. Millwall are losing less in the Championship than Charlton are in L1, despite having a smaller season ticket base, and they are still there.
    Mostly it is true though. I can't imagine what miracle it is that allows a club to pay Championship wages on a smaller fan base and loose less money  than Charlton .
    Because the TV revenue is bigger for a start
    It maybe due to more games but that is not big enough  to make the difference. RD preferred L1 because it cost him less in loses I recall Bowyer saying .
    That's absolutely a load of tosh.  The last season we were in league 1 it cost Roland 10 million quid, the season we were in the championship, despite the nice breads, cars and bitches, we made a profit!!! 
  • The problem is that even a stable Championship side loses as much or more money than a league 1 side.  

Our owner seriously under estimated the cost of running a football club in this country.  Besides which wages are ridiculous in football . 

I wouldn’t blame TS if it decided it was too much. Standing still appears to cost 10 million a year and the cost of a ticket is way short of covering the true cost to break even.

That is why we have signed players others didn't rate and our midfield isn't anywhere near good enough to accommodate 433. Without it our wingers have no threat plus we are short on full backs to support it.  We lack a threat so opposition teams just suss us out in 10 minutes. 
    In which case he then needs to do what Peterborough and Brentford do, and sign talented youngsters who can help the team for a couple of years before being sold on. 

But that again needs investment. You are highly unlikely to find these players if you are signing players who were ultimately unwanted by Oxford, Sunderland and Tranmere.
     We have been missing out on talented young players in lower teams by not offering enough,  and we are a team that has sold its good young players cheaply. 
    How come Gallen never spots them and Brentford and Peterborough do, every time.
    Is this a fact?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone that's ever been involved in any sort of committee will probably tell you they result in compromise and are slow to react to changes in circumstances.

I still believe we had a good recruitment plan in April for if we didn't go up, which was always the most likely outcome.  Like all plans it was only good until we were punched in the face.

We have been punched in the face 5 times and only changed course once.  That plan has now resulted in a massive shortage on quality on the pitch.  Because there are 4 massive wholes in the current squad that they didn't plan on filling and seem to have done nothing about.

Resign Stockley and Famewo ✅
    Replace Pratley and Shinnie with younger midfielders ✅
    Sign a left winger, even if you have to wait to get the right one ✅
    Sign a first choice left back ⏸️
    Sign a first choice midfielder ⏸️
    Sign a back up keeper to allow AMB out on loan ⏸️
    Sign a another center half ⏸️

That would have been fine, what they haven't done is:
    Replace JFC ❌
    Replace Gilbey ❌
    Replace Aneke ❌
    Priorities the left back when Purrington got injured ❌

The way they replaced Amos straight away shows they can move quickly.  I still think they will do 3 of the original 4, but I don't think they will get the extra center back.

It's what they do with the other 3 that will make or break our season.  If they do nothing it will hopefully be 3rd time lucky because we won't be going anywhere this season.   We won't be relegated. 
    Any idea who this player was? I can’t remember. 
  • Premier league and Championship clubs will be bringing players in and we have to be looking at who my become available when they do. I'm not thinking of first teamers but reserves who move down the pecking order.
  • The problem is that even a stable Championship side loses as much or more money than a league 1 side.  

In which case he then needs to do what Peterborough and Brentford do, and sign talented youngsters who can help the team for a couple of years before being sold on. 

But that again needs investment. You are highly unlikely to find these players if you are signing players who were ultimately unwanted by Oxford, Sunderland and Tranmere.
     We have been missing out on talented young players in lower teams by not offering enough,  and we are a team that has sold its good young players cheaply. 
    Is this a fact?
    No, it’s not. Same argument that a few posters continue to repeat. We are not offering as much as Championship sides and Ipswich/Wigan, that doesn’t mean we’re not offering a decent amount to players. It’s ridiculous to expect Sandgaard to have agreed £9-10k pw on several players to make up our first 11. There’s no point in being annoyed that we aren’t offering as much as these other sides. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    RedRobin said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone that's ever been involved in any sort of committee will probably tell you they result in compromise and are slow to react to changes in circumstances.

I still believe we had a good recruitment plan in April for if we didn't go up, which was always the most likely outcome.  Like all plans it was only good until we were punched in the face.

We have been punched in the face 5 times and only changed course once.  That plan has now resulted in a massive shortage on quality on the pitch.  Because there are 4 massive wholes in the current squad that they didn't plan on filling and seem to have done nothing about.

Resign Stockley and Famewo ✅
    Replace Pratley and Shinnie with younger midfielders ✅
    Sign a left winger, even if you have to wait to get the right one ✅
    Sign a first choice left back ⏸️
    Sign a first choice midfielder ⏸️
    Sign a back up keeper to allow AMB out on loan ⏸️
    Sign a another center half ⏸️

That would have been fine, what they haven't done is:
    Replace JFC ❌
    Replace Gilbey ❌
    Replace Aneke ❌
    Priorities the left back when Purrington got injured ❌

The way they replaced Amos straight away shows they can move quickly.  I still think they will do 3 of the original 4, but I don't think they will get the extra center back.

It's what they do with the other 3 that will make or break our season.  If they do nothing it will hopefully be 3rd time lucky because we won't be going anywhere this season.   We won't be relegated. 
    Any idea who this player was? I can’t remember. 
    Just read it was Stockley. 

Is this a fact?
    No, it’s not. Same argument that a few posters continue to repeat. We are not offering as much as Championship sides and Ipswich/Wigan, that doesn’t mean we’re not offering a decent amount to players. It’s ridiculous to expect Sandgaard to have agreed £9-10k pw on several players to make up our first 11. There’s no point in being annoyed that we aren’t offering as much as these other sides. 
    Is it a fact that Wigan/Ipswich are offering 10k a week? 
  • Airman intimated that there was a problem that Bowyer/Gallen had with Roddy in January.  Is that what Bowyer was complaining about when he said we are not moving quickly enough. Now that LB has left, and if Roddy is Gallens boss, is Roddy now exerting his power and delaying/vetoing prospective signings?

• Because of Brexit we can only really sign British players unless they are current international players. It’s going to be hard to improve this team unless we offer British players a higher salary. It’s upto Thomas to sanction the wages and at the moment he’s not doing it. 
  • A couple of loans the calibre of Cullen and Bielik could transform this side. Really hope we get something in the next week 

Is this a fact?

No one is expecting that. But what we are/were expecting is that the budget would allow us to sign better players than Clare and Dobson.  
  • A couple of loans the calibre of Cullen and Bielik could transform this side. Really hope we get something in the next week 
    A couple of loans of that calibre could, if we also replace Aneke, JFC, Gilbey and Purrington. 
  • Leuth said:
    Jury out on Clare. Reckon he has a bit to offer as a utility midfielder
    No issue with signing them if we sign one ideally two first choice CMs, but it’s a big if.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    No issue with signing them if we sign one ideally two first choice CMs, but it’s a big if.
    I've just been wondering about this. Because we have three midfield slots and currently have six midfielders on the books (Dobson, Watson, Clare, JFC, Gilbey and Morgan).

Here's a scary thought - they may have planned for this to be our midfield for the season. I can't imagine we'll be having many more than six. 
  • Leuth said:
    Clare alongside a Bielik and a Shinnie would be very good IMO, I don’t see him as the issue in midfield but of course we are that bad in midfield everyone will have their own version of who the bad ones are.  For me it’s Dobson, and Albie, who again doesn’t look too and around better players.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    A couple of loans the calibre of Cullen and Bielik could transform this side. Really hope we get something in the next week 
    A couple of loans of that calibre could, if we also replace Aneke, JFC, Gilbey and Purrington. 
    Going in to the season knowing Purrington was out injured and not signing a left back is criminal - this is probably the thing that has pissed me off the most. 
    At least Purrington only got injured a few weeks ago, JFC got injured in April! 
  • Ipswich and Wigan's riches are covering up the sorts of players we could have gone for, but one for reason or another didn't

MK Dons brought in Twine, Pompey brought in Tunnicliffe who's been getting rave reviews for the way he's been running games.
  • Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    I've just been wondering about this. Because we have three midfield slots and currently have six midfielders on the books (Dobson, Watson, Clare, JFC, Gilbey and Morgan).

Here's a scary thought - they may have planned for this to be our midfield for the season. I can't imagine we'll be having many more than six. 
    I think that was the plan, maybe a quality loan as well.  I don't think it's as bad as you say but not doing anything about JFC or Gilbey has highlighted how weak the quality is.

Curbs always highlighted JFC, so did who ever was the sky person when we were on TV.  Cawley said it yesterday.  JFC is massively under rated by our fans generally. 
  • Dobson, Clare and Morgan are just not good enough. You might get away with one of them - probably Dobson because he is the defensive midfielder but all three are basically squad players. Watson is unpopular with the crowd but he is stIll the best midfielder we have in the absence of JFC and he is 37 which tells you all you need to know.
    I’m not even very convinced about Gilbey.
    It’s really a struggle to understand how Accrington can hold onto Charles and Bishop, at least up until this late stage in the window. They must be on low wages, Accrington get crowds of 3 men and a dog and the club must be skint. Surely we could buy one of them for sensible money. They are both prolific goal scorers. Another goal threat would make a huge difference 
    Both of those players and their agents have Championship aspirations. There’s not a prayer of nicking one of those two. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

At least Purrington only got injured a few weeks ago, JFC got injured in April! 

But we have been after Kirk since January, and all the Crewe fans tell us that although he is a good player, he becomes much better when he has an overlapping winger. Purrington is not that winger, so we have known that if we managed to get Kirk, we needed a left back to complement.  With only one left back anyway, we should have been looking in that area, so that if Kirk came along, we knew who we wanted.  Instead of that we have a right back who doesn't overlap or Roddy's son.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!