Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    ct_addick said:
    What gets me is that Wigan were down and out and an owner comes in willing to splash some cash to gamble on success. Thought that might be us but no we have someone who thinks they are clever enough to do it on a small budget which ain't working. They have a week to fix it which is very concerning. 
    Wigan also have a very experienced CEO, a local lad (Plumstead) who was interested in working for us, but who didn’t get a response from Thomas. 

Edit…he’s also worked successfully with Adkins before.
  • edited August 2021
    Just for added context, those comments were from NA's post-match conference. The SLP break up the quotes to provide content for the week. 
  • Scoham said:
    None of that gives me a particularly warm, fuzzy feeling inside. 
    Yeah. Listened to him yesterday. I kind of got the impression that he thinks the transfer boat has long gone and we won't get the opportunity to sign the quality we need. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    The problem is that even a stable Championship side loses as much or more money than a league 1 side.  

Our owner seriously under estimated the cost of running a football club in this country.  Besides which wages are ridiculous in football . 

I wouldn’t blame TS if it decided it was too much. Standing still appears to cost 10 million a year and the cost of a ticket is way short of covering the true cost to break even.

That is why we have signed players others didn't rate and our midfield isn't anywhere near good enough to accommodate 433. Without it our wingers have no threat plus we are short on full backs to support it.  We lack a threat so opposition teams just suss us out in 10 minutes. 
    That’s not necessarily true. At least in the Championship you have about £7-8m more in income to play with and you are more likely to develop players that command big fees. Millwall are losing less in the Championship than Charlton are in L1, despite having a smaller season ticket base, and they are still there.
    Mostly it is true though. I can't imagine what miracle it is that allows a club to pay Championship wages on a smaller fan base and loose less money  than Charlton .
    Because the TV revenue is bigger for a start
    It maybe due to more games but that is not big enough  to make the difference. RD preferred L1 because it cost him less in loses I recall Bowyer saying .
    That's absolutely a load of tosh.  The last season we were in league 1 it cost Roland 10 million quid, the season we were in the championship, despite the nice breads, cars and bitches, we made a profit!!! 
     That is not what Bowyer said .
    Oddly, Lee Bowyer would not be regarded as an authority on football club finances, much as the auditors don’t advise on team selection. Here are some facts for you.

Our budget was so crap it was impossible not to lose more it seems. However you can surely clarify without sarcastic comments.  You can stick those up your backside because it wasn't necessary. 

Then as now it might be better if the auditors did select the team.  

• Scoham said:
    Sounds like the budget has been skinned. If this lot owned a rowing boat and needed to cross a river but the boat had a leak, they wouldn't get a new boat ot a shipwright.  They would get a bucket to bail out or a bung. And sink half way. 
    Not holding ones breath.
    No it doesn’t. It sounds like we are working to a budget, same comments have been made by the club all summer. 
  • Very quiet on the rumours front.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think most of us did not believe our buget was Poundland
  • Just out of interest what kind of wedge do we think Roddy is on?
    Doubt he comes cheap
  • Is it safe to come back yet?

Seems not.  Will google James Olavinka and come back tomorrow
  • James Olayinka is an interesting one , spent last season on loan at Southend in L2 , appears he can also fill in at RB too according to the Arsenal site. 
  • Sponsored links:

• CH4RLTON said:
    My contact who has been very unreliable at times but has also provided the odd nugget has just mentioned a name to me that has not been mentioned before as far as I can remember so thought I’d share. James Olavinka I think is what he said , I’ve just googled him and can’t see much information but assume he’s youngster at Arsenal, please take this with a large pinch of salt.
    He was loan at Northampton and Southend last season. 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    My contact who has been very unreliable at times but has also provided the odd nugget has just mentioned a name to me that has not been mentioned before as far as I can remember so thought I’d share. James Olavinka I think is what he said , I’ve just googled him and can’t see much information but assume he’s youngster at Arsenal, please take this with a large pinch of salt.

20 year old CM, 21 games and 2 goals in league 2 at Northampton and Southend.
    Sounds ideal, sign him up B)
  • I wonder if Olly has forgot the password for the CAFC Twitter account… or is super busy preparing for imminent new signings? 

Both unlikely as each other. Pretend I never posted this. 
  • Southend manager said Olyinka has plenty of ‘attacking flair’. 
  • edited August 2021
    MarcusH26 said:
    James Olayinka is an interesting one , spent last season on loan at Southend in L2 , appears he can also fill in at RB too according to the Arsenal site. 
    Stats don't look great. If the link is true I imagine this will be a cheap back up for Morgan.
  • https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-wont-be-having-a-summer-holiday-strengthening-squad-is-the-only-priority/

Back at the start of June, Adkins said we wouldn't be taking a holiday, so he could concentrate on getting players in. His family are probably thinking that was a wasted opportunity for a holiday too...
    My wife would still be on at me about it. I hope he isn't getting too much earache.
  • At least our rumoured signings mean we are preparing for next season well.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!