Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Dizzle said:
    Got to kick into gear soon surely 
    I’m hearing Jesper Blomqvist and Robbie Mustoe are available
  • Sunderland just signed a left back on loan from Leeds.  😬
  • Scoham said:
    I’m just hoping we know the left back we want (or have a few options) and are waiting until the end of the window when they’ll be available on loan or their club may drop their asking price.

Or perhaps Roddy wants room in the squad for his son to get a few games when the injuries start to build up (which they will without the depth to rest players).

AHH, I keep hearing this but no one seems to be considering that the opposite is just as likely.

We're all making the assumption (and apparently the recruitment team too!) that any perm signings and fees will be cheaper on the last day or two because "covid window, need money, any money" but why would club A suddenly drop the asking price for a player we're after when they'll know we're just as desperate to sign them, and is a Gillingham really going to sell a first teamer for a pittance on deadline day and leave themselves short or scrambling around for a deal, when they themselves then become desperate... It's a lot of assumptive bargaining that could backfire massively.

I said “I’m hoping” - completely agree it could go either way and for me it's not a risk worth taking. Better to pay slightly more and get the bulk of your squad together, and any late signings come in due to a drop in asking price are a bonus.
  • Would this current side get us out of league 2?

• I’m certainly not as positive as before but I just don’t think we need to decipher every word that comes out of his mouth. As with anything, the proof is in the pudding.

I am very irritated we are going into another game with no fit senior left back in the squad. Absolutely criminal. Gunter is a poor RB let alone LB. It’s quite frankly a fucking joke.
    This. The fact that by the end of pre-season we only had 1 left back (I dont count Roddy as he's had less experience than Barker etc) is bad enough but when he got injured the fact that not even a loan/freebie was drafted in was criminal. 

A dereliction of duty & we are reaping what we have sown. 
    The thing that’s made it worse is that it was Adkins who said he wasn’t worried because Gunter could cover there. That is either careless management or a worryingly lack of player assessment based on his appearances there so far.

We then go and spend money on a fantastic left midfielder who desperately requires a technically gifted left back behind him as per how he thrived at Crewe. 

It’s all a bit backwards.
    To be fair, I suspect that's Adkins playing a bit of politics with the press. As soon as he says "we need a left back pronto or we're fucked" then every agent with a LB around our level will be twirling their mustaches and cackling evilly.

I very much doubt he actually thinks Gunter is the answer... Or Roddy Jr for that matter.
  • It’s not great if Adkins thinks we’ve got the makings of a good first XI.  At first glance it looks like MacGivallry is a slight downgrade on Amos.  Matthews for me gets the right back spot because it was an easier option to resign him.  Inniss is a liability at the back re: fitness.  We don’t have a left back.  All 3 of the midfield have, according to what I have read on here have been short.  I’m yet to see and it’s still early so will reserve judgement.  DJ may or may not work out, hope he does.  Stockley and Kirk (based on what I have read) & Famewo are about the only 3, maybe Washington that I think I would want in my first XI.  None of this when is Gilbey fit rubbish for me.  Despite his ‘great run’ in the team at the end of last season, I think we’re in a bad place if people are hopeful of what he can bring when he’s back 
  • edited August 2021
    Quite literally the next two weeks are very crucial, sorry for the repetition but....WAKE UP someone, anyone
    and realise we are in shite street at the moment..
  • MrBurns said:
    Would this current side get us out of league 2?

If you look at our form since that 5/6 game winning blip last season, our form probably wasn't far off relegation 

We're weaker this season so it probably wouldn't! 

• MrBurns said:

If you look at our form since that 5/6 game winning blip last season, our form probably wasn't far off relegation 

It wasn't though, was it? We came 7th, missing out on goal difference. That shows that we had a really good upturn of form.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    MrBurns said:

Well if you seriously think that we couldn't get out of league 2 with our current side, we may as well pack up and all go home..
  • Scoham said:
    I’m just hoping we know the left back we want (or have a few options) and are waiting until the end of the window when they’ll be available on loan or their club may drop their asking price.

Or perhaps Roddy wants room in the squad for his son to get a few games when the injuries start to build up (which they will without the depth to rest players).

AHH, I keep hearing this but no one seems to be considering that the opposite is just as likely.

We're all making the assumption (and apparently the recruitment team too!) that any perm signings and fees will be cheaper on the last day or two because "covid window, need money, any money" but why would club A suddenly drop the asking price for a player we're after when they'll know we're just as desperate to sign them, and is a Gillingham really going to sell a first teamer for a pittance on deadline day and leave themselves short or scrambling around for a deal, when they themselves then become desperate... It's a lot of assumptive bargaining that could backfire massively.

Agreed. Transfer deadline day is notorious for panic buys and desperate clubs paying too much.

And selling clubs will know that Charlton are desperate for signings, whatever Adkins says, as they'll have seen our results and our pitiful subs bench.
  • Sunderland just signed a left back on loan from Leeds.  😬
    Frank Gray?
  • thenewbie said:
    I’m certainly not as positive as before but I just don’t think we need to decipher every word that comes out of his mouth. As with anything, the proof is in the pudding.

I am very irritated we are going into another game with no fit senior left back in the squad. Absolutely criminal. Gunter is a poor RB let alone LB. It’s quite frankly a fucking joke.
    This. The fact that by the end of pre-season we only had 1 left back (I dont count Roddy as he's had less experience than Barker etc) is bad enough but when he got injured the fact that not even a loan/freebie was drafted in was criminal. 

The thing that’s made it worse is that it was Adkins who said he wasn’t worried because Gunter could cover there. That is either careless management or a worryingly lack of player assessment based on his appearances there so far.

We then go and spend money on a fantastic left midfielder who desperately requires a technically gifted left back behind him as per how he thrived at Crewe. 

To be fair, I suspect that's Adkins playing a bit of politics with the press. As soon as he says "we need a left back pronto or we're fucked" then every agent with a LB around our level will be twirling their mustaches and cackling evilly.

I very much doubt he actually thinks Gunter is the answer... Or Roddy Jr for that matter.
    Well he’s been happy enough to play him there for the last 4 games, with a 5th on Saturday.
  • I think we'll deliver some good news soon - that we managed to keep our current squad and nobody pinched any player from us.

I can't help think why!
  • edited August 2021
    As Sunderand have just signed a left back, what about Denver Hume. He is out of contract and refused a new offer.  It is rumoured he is only on 2.5K a week, so would fit  into our wage structure.
  • alangee said:
    As Sunderand have just signed a left back, what about Denver Hume. He is out of contract and refused a new offer.  It is rumoured he is only on 2.5K a week, so would fit  into our wage structure.
    Too expensive and common sense based - dismiss.
  • edited August 2021
    PWADDICK said:

Ged Roddy playing left back on Saturday 
    Doh!!....and it was going so well B)
  • J BLOCK said:
    Lack of rumours when we are so so short is very worrying. 
    So you keep repeating ...
    Yes. A new day and nothing again. 
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    I’m certainly not as positive as before but I just don’t think we need to decipher every word that comes out of his mouth. As with anything, the proof is in the pudding.

Well he’s been happy enough to play him there for the last 4 games, with a 5th on Saturday.
    No, he's had no choice. He's not the one actually responsible for making signings. I very much doubt he's happy at all to be acting Gunter there but until he has a viable alternative I don't see what he's expected to do differently.
  • just saw the super computer prediction for league one... we finish 11th.

66 points. Only 65 points to go.... 
  • If we're not careful,  Gunter will hit his match quota and trigger another extension!
  • TEL said:
    just saw the super computer prediction for league one... we finish 11th.

Would bite someone’s hand off for that. Anything that guarantees safety whilst we hopefully sort this out would do for me.
  • Gunter hasn't triggered an extension ever has he? We signed him on a 2 year deal last year
  • TEL said:
    just saw the super computer prediction for league one... we finish 11th.

Sounds like that may need a upgrade or a reboot.. B) ...bet it shows bloody Ipshite as champions, although we already knew that didn't we
  • SamE7 said:
    MrBurns said:

It wasn't though, was it? We came 7th, missing out on goal difference. That shows that we had a really good upturn of form.

MrBurns said:

Finishing 27 pts (nine games worth of points) above the team who finished in the fourth relegation spot is not relegation form, in fact you could argue we finished the season in promotion form.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!