Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Renewing Pearce and Watson looks like an even dumber move in hindsight thanks to this squad cap. 

Willingly having poor players in the side that Adkins himself admitted weren't good enough.  
    Especially when NA is on record as saying last season we had the oldest squad in League one and something along the lines of we are going to freshen things up and bring down the average age.
    Am I missing something here - I am sure I read that both Watson and Pearce were said to have triggered contract extensions unilaterally. Nothing near to the club offereing them new contracts, but smply being obliged to either keep them or pay off the contracts thus spending money on two players who would then be unavailable to play. 
    Pearce was offered a new deal on (you'd presume) reduced terms for reduced playing time. Club captain experience and leadership vital to helping youngsters develop (see Deji). It was inferred that Watson took longer to agree as we may have been negotiating new terms after he triggered his year(?), similar to Pearce's. Again, he will supposedly guide the youngsters
  • So not a hint of a rumour after Tuesday’s shambles, once again I’ve been very positive until now but it seems we really are letting this current mob have a crack at promotion plus a few loan players that could range from Josh Cullen to Dylan Levitt, all a bit risky if you ask me, considering there’s been a lot more Levitt’s than Cullen’s arrive at sparrows lane.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Give Clare a chance. I think he’ll be a grower. Will revisit this post in six weeks and eat humble pie, or not. 
    Happy to get lol’d off the thread but I don’t mind Clare, he’s been the best out of the three in midfield so far.  
    That's a bit like being the world's tallest midget 
    Thought I’d get this this response.  Maybe you’re right but as others have said I think there’s some genuine positives with him.  
  • We keep getting told that we're after 'good' players and they cost money in addition to being wanted by other clubs so they will be difficult to get over the line.
    I thought TS said we have our first 11 and we are only after players for 'depth' now
  • edited August 2021
    Chunes said:
    We keep getting told that we're after 'good' players and they cost money in addition to being wanted by other clubs so they will be difficult to get over the line.
    I thought TS said we have our first 11 and we are only after players for 'depth' now
    I’m wondering if they might be re-assessing that now. 
    Trouble ‘t mill. 
  • Happy to be corrected, but wasn't Airman's point about sponsorship backing in terms of money coming in? Sandgaard has stated that he was looking for partners and that can mean something completely different. I suspect that he had one when we were going to blow the league away and for whatever reason, we don't have that one now.

I'm not stating this as fact but it would explain a lot of things. And indeed, in some ways would temper expectations, which were built up by the club whether we like it or not. Sandgaard surely has the ability to find another partner, but in the meantime I would imagine we would be far more understanding of less ambitious objectives. For this reason, I can't see why he wouldn't come clean unless it is pride.
    Airman covered it in the Roddy thread - it’s done but was overhyped and won’t impact budget.

J BLOCK said:
    What did happen with that sponsorship deal he was working on. I know businesses at the Charlton golf day who were shocked at what happened with the current deal. 
    The deal (by Mumford not Roddy) was overhyped but it is not a sponsorship deal and it has been done. It will be announced in due course. It was never going to have any impact on the transfer budget.

• Redhenry said:
    Aren't there other threads for all this waffle?
    Sour Cream Belgian Waffle Recipe  CDKitchencom

How about this kinda waffle? 
  • Chunes said:
    We keep getting told that we're after 'good' players and they cost money in addition to being wanted by other clubs so they will be difficult to get over the line.
    God help us then. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    That XI, even with a subs bench full of equal ability players, will finish between 10th (at very best) and 18th (they won’t go down let’s get real)
  • JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    I’m wondering if they might be re-assessing that now. 
    Trouble ‘t mill. 
    Is that based on anything coming out of the club?
  • What is this obsession with @RonnieMoore and banning him? The guy insults no one and just posts rumours on a thread about ....wait for it....rumours.
    I've never met him but he's a known Charlton fan, and given his loyalty to the club  I can easily imagine him applauding the players off the pitch after tuesdays loss. Is that bad?
    If you find his stuff irritating, and many seem to, don't read it. It's not a problem as his name is on top of all his posts.
    They’re groundless rumours….he just makes them up, the  man is an outrageous fantasist.
    Complete waste of space.
  • Renewing Pearce and Watson looks like an even dumber move in hindsight thanks to this squad cap. 

Willingly having poor players in the side that Adkins himself admitted weren't good enough.  
    Especially when NA is on record as saying last season we had the oldest squad in League one and something along the lines of we are going to freshen things up and bring down the average age.
    Am I missing something here - I am sure I read that both Watson and Pearce were said to have triggered contract extensions unilaterally. Nothing near to the club offereing them new contracts, but smply being obliged to either keep them or pay off the contracts thus spending money on two players who would then be unavailable to play. 
    I think it was Watson and Gunter who triggered contract extension.
    Pearce was offered a one year deal.
  • I thought it was fair clear from NA's comments that the Pearce contract was as much to do with nurturing / mentoring the younger players as much as it was to do with being a back up CB.

You can't just reduce the age of a squad by kicking out every player over xx age. Younger players coming through need to see some older, more experienced players along side them on the pitch....not just words from experienced coaches in training IMO.

Pearce is also in the process of getting his coaching badges etc so I think that the extension was a fairly decent decision for all parties.
    Exactly, you can't just drop the age and hope it works, even the 'can't win anything with kids' United team had Schmeichel, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Cantona, Keane, Giggs and David May (yeah I know, he won a Champions League medal) in that squad and team. You need experienced pros around the kids to help them develop 
  • Rothko said:
    I thought it was fair clear from NA's comments that the Pearce contract was as much to do with nurturing / mentoring the younger players as much as it was to do with being a back up CB.

You can't just reduce the age of a squad by kicking out every player over xx age. Younger players coming through need to see some older, more experienced players along side them on the pitch....not just words from experienced coaches in training IMO.

Pearce is also in the process of getting his coaching badges etc so I think that the extension was a fairly decent decision for all parties.
    Exactly, you can't just drop the age and hope it works, even the 'can't win anything with kids' United team had Schmeichel, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Cantona, Keane, Giggs and David May (yeah I know, he won a Champions League medal) in that squad and team. You need experienced pros around the kids to help them develop 
    Agree with what you say, but the players you listed were good players despite their age. Watson and to a lesser extent, Pearce, are toilet.
  • arny23394 said:
    Rothko said:
    I thought it was fair clear from NA's comments that the Pearce contract was as much to do with nurturing / mentoring the younger players as much as it was to do with being a back up CB.

Agree with what you say, but the players you listed were good players despite their age. Watson and to a lesser extent, Pearce, are toilet.
    Pearce is still a decent enough League 1 player, Watson is probably past it, but they along with Gunter, Washington and Matthews (who are still good players in this division) are needed in this group to give it a bit of experience. Hopefully we add more in the coming weeks 
  • Chunes said:
    I think he said we are almost there with our first 11. And if he was including Kirk (yet to start) Gilbey and Purrington in that then a couple more who could walk straight into the 11 and a back up RCB and LB and we are getting closer to what he wants.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Clarky said:
    Chunes said:
    I think he said we are almost there with our first 11. And if he was including Kirk (yet to start) Gilbey and Purrington in that then a couple more who could walk straight into the 11 and a back up RCB and LB and we are getting closer to what he wants.
    The full quote: 

“I hope we can make a few more additions. Some of those will probably be more of the last-minute deadline day loan signings – simply just to create a little more depth in the squad. Because it is a long season, 46 games as a minimum.

“We need a few more players in to strengthen the depth of the squad. We pretty much have the makings of a starting first-team now and a decent depth. By adding up to a handful more players before deadline then we will be well set for this season."

• Redhenry said:
    Aren't there other threads for all this waffle?
    One mans waffle is another mans pancake....or is that just waffle B)
  • Chunes said:
    Clarky said:
    Chunes said:
    The full quote: “I hope we can make a few more additions,” Sandgaard told Charlton TV in their pre-show before the Oxford United match. “Some of those will probably be more of the last-minute deadline day loan signings – simply just to create a little more depth in the squad. Because it is a long season, 46 games as a minimum.

“We need a few more players in to strengthen the depth of the squad. We pretty much have the makings of a starting first-team now and a decent depth. By adding up to a handful more players before deadline then we will be well set for this season.

I get he isn't going to come out and say we are going to smash our budget and sign loads of players but the above is very, very worrying and the longer it goes on, the more closer to the truth I think it actually is.

We are SO short of quality in the starting 11 and impact subs that MK Dons and Oxford are miles better than us.   I can't see, honestly, nothing better than bottom half with our current squad and who we may sign.

It is going to be a long, hard winter.
  • edited August 2021
    Chunes said:
    Clarky said:
    Chunes said:
    The full quote: 

“I hope we can make a few more additions. Some of those will probably be more of the last-minute deadline day loan signings – simply just to create a little more depth in the squad. Because it is a long season, 46 games as a minimum.

“We need a few more players in to strengthen the depth of the squad. We pretty much have the makings of a starting first-team now and a decent depth. By adding up to a handful more players before deadline then we will be well set for this season."

‘Some of those…’

Says to me we will make signings, both for the first XI PLUS some to add to the squad depth.

As mentioned before, I don’t think we need to read deep into every word he says.
    That's your take, but I'm afraid I prefer (and believe) mine.   Unfortunately.    If we had really wanted to be positive, we'd be much further ahead than we are.   Other sides, who we see as our competitors are ahead and we're already 3 games in and will be 5 or 6 games in before the window closes.

Over 10% of the season.    And an unsettled side, unbalanced side and new players to learn how to play "the Adkins way"

If you're serious about getting out of the division, you are ahead of where we are right now and closer to where our MUCH stronger competition are.

I prey I am wrong, but I just don't see it.    Unless TS wakes up and sees we genuinely are far far worse than we were last season.
  • Rothko said:

To be fair Giggs is only about a year older than the class of 92 and Keane was still young but your point is 100% right. 

You need both and this year just like most of last year most of our 1st team are either too young or too old.  We don't have that core of 25-30 players with a few outliers. 
  • Chunes said:
    Clarky said:
    Chunes said:
    The full quote: 

‘Some of those…’

Says to me we will make signings, both for the first XI PLUS some to add to the squad depth.

As mentioned before, I don’t think we need to read deep into every word he says.
    Yes, I agree. He is saying we don't have a starting 11 yet but we are almost there. It would be verbal suicide (which he is good at) if all the players brought in either warmed the bench or didn't make it that far.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!