Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Sage said:
    Whose this guy??
    Load of bollocks .. Roddy played at Southampton. then went into non league .. Roddy never worked at Southampton and never took him to Reading …. what people seem to forget is that Adkins would have final say on players who play in the team / squad and of those he don’t want anymore so if Roddy was not good enough ( seen him in ore season and he done very well ) he would not be here no matter who is dad was 
    Hmmmm, I’m not so sure about that. 
  • AndyG said:
    Swisdom said:
    So do we have any idea who Steve Gallen was scouting last night?  He was definitely off watching someone.  If, as rumours suggested, he was at Crewe then it was a wasted journey watching Dale as he was "sick" apparently
    If Cawleys tweet is accurate, he wouldn’t be scouting anyone, he would be negotiating a deal - either with the selling club or the player and his agent. 
    Maybe he went for a job interview ?
    Is that because he failed the job interview at QPR the other week?
  • Clarky said:
    AndyG said:
    Swisdom said:
    So do we have any idea who Steve Gallen was scouting last night?  He was definitely off watching someone.  If, as rumours suggested, he was at Crewe then it was a wasted journey watching Dale as he was "sick" apparently
    If Cawleys tweet is accurate, he wouldn’t be scouting anyone, he would be negotiating a deal - either with the selling club or the player and his agent. 
    Maybe he went for a job interview ?
    Is that because he failed the job interview at QPR the other week?
    Haha really? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Whose this guy??
    Load of bollocks .. Roddy played at Southampton. then went into non league .. Roddy never worked at Southampton and never took him to Reading …. what people seem to forget is that Adkins would have final say on players who play in the team / squad and of those he don’t want anymore so if Roddy was not good enough ( seen him in ore season and he done very well ) he would not be here no matter who is dad was 
    What non league team did he play for? 
    That famous giant of non league football…..
    Bradfield College second XI

• esseffect said:
    I think regardless, we shouldn’t be calling for someone to get the sack without knowing the truth.

People in Twitter are rank 
    Blimey someone talking sense …. 
  • esseffect said:
    I think regardless, we shouldn’t be calling for someone to get the sack without knowing the truth.

People in Twitter are rank 
    Blimey someone talking sense …. 
    As your here Ronnie, I'll ask again because I am sure everyone else would like to know.

What nonleague club did Jacob Roddy play for? 
  • Swisdom said:
    No one seems to have considered we play Crewe in 2 games time so he might not have been scouting for potential signings. Could have pre-game prep for future opponent 
    You might be right but what’s he gonna do?  Change the XI based on what he’s seen?  With our massive squad full of depth. 
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.bradfieldcollege.org.uk/article/the-football-programme-developing-more-than-just-footballers/

A bit more about Bradfield College football development programme for anyone interested. The programme itself actually sounds like a solid idea, but it's clear its pretty much for those who are never going to make it as a professional footballer. 
  • thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    There are 4 possible explanations for the current state of affairs.

1) We have been picky and only signed players we really want, not anything that moves, and held our nerve.  This may or may not stay the same as the deadline looms closer.

2) We can't/won't pay what we need to to get the players we need in and can't/won't budge.

3) It's deliberate and the "plan" is to add 2 or 3 quality players each window and build over a number of seasons.

4) No one can be arsed and they just haven't bothered or they were too busy in the recording studio, on holiday, or enjoying the hospitality at QPR.

I think in all honesty we can rule out 4.  I suspect its 1 with maybe a tint of 2.  If its 3 someone is going to get a short sharp shock when the bills start piling up. 
    As you say, I think it's a mixture of 1 & 2

How does this strategy jive with TS saying the PL in 5 years? 47 months left. We are guessing why we have not signed people and yet we know what he claimed he planned in terms of promotion. How does one square our actions with the plan of promotion to the PL by 2025-26?
    Or maybe the plan changed, or had to be rethought. TS probably did at one point want to get to the PL in five years but I'd be very surprised if he still thinks that's a feasible plan.
    Or maybe he is out of his depth and always has been.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/announcement/sam-woods-departs-crystal-palace/2021-08-18/

Right footed centre back. Was on loan at Plymouth last year.
    Woods was born on 11 September 1998 and supported Crystal Palace as a child.....

I am sure I mentioned him about 500 pages ago as one we should look at but the only thing I can find is a thread from 2008 about Bromley's left back and @Dazzler21 released list. 
    Woods played alongside Inniss in CP's various Under 23 teams.

I would take him 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Whose this guy??
    What non league team did he play for? 
    That famous giant of non league football…..
    Bradfield College.

Went there two seasons ago.
  • We've just signed a player from Crewe, for all we know he's there tidying things up in regards to Kirk, maybe even meeting his family given the recent news, it's not like we have a CEO to do all that, and Gallen was pretty active in all sorts when he was appointed DOF to begin with.
    My money is on an incoming signing….fingers crossed. 
  • edited August 2021
    Sage said:
    Whose this guy??
    You’ve made this observation before so I thought I’d just go back over the pre season friendlies excluding Celtic to make sure I wasn’t dreaming about what I witnessed in those games. So here’s my findings and the comments of other lifers in italics on his performances;

Welling 10/7/21

Played 45 mins no stand out mentions apart from you giving him 7/10 but as you made Clare mom 9/10 yesterday that’s no ringing endorsement.

Dartford 17/7/21

1) I thought the second half with the U23's the formation looked more balanced as we had players more willing to occupy the centre of the pitch compared to the first. But it was notable that we lacked dynamism with Roddy and Barker as full backs.

2) Agreed Barker did not play well defensively yesterday, but not all the attacks were against him, the disallowed goal Roddy made it far to easy for the Dartford player to cut in. 

Reading 24/7/21

Roddy should be nowhere near the first team.  He gave their winger too much space time and time again and nearly every Reading opportunity was initiated from that side.

Palace 27/7/21

Subs bench replaced Gunter on 76 mins no observations

Fulham 31/7/21

Subs bench never got on

I haven’t seen what you have I’m afraid and leave others to draw their own conclusions.

• Sponsored links:

• Not a rumour, Chris Solly is now on the coaching staff.
    He's a bunter now.
    Good to have him back. 
  • Roddy wants to sign Big Ears

He's a bunter now.
    Good to have him back. 
    A proper Charlton man.
  • https://www.bradfieldcollege.org.uk/article/the-football-programme-developing-more-than-just-footballers/

A bit more about Bradfield College football development programme for anyone interested. The programme itself actually sounds like a solid idea, but it's clear its pretty much for those who are never going to make it as a professional footballer. 
    It’s a heck of a programme for school aged footballers, but to my knowledge they’ve not produced any serious pros in 10 years.  Some
    have gone to America and played a bit out there . 

Evidently children that are going to make it are still unlikely to stay in independent schools that long, so that’s no criticism.  

He's a bunter now.
    Good to have him back. 
    A proper Charlton man.
    He’s one of our own.
  • Sage said:
    A random thing that to me says a lot is how often Adkins says honest, hard-working group of players. Not once has he ever described them as talented when I am fairly sure he has with a handful of players we had last season. Aneke, Millar, and Maatsen all come to mind.
    Agreed.  With Adkins and his positivity, it's always what he doesn't say that you have to listen for.  The Medical team is 'exceptional'.  There are one or two that he describes as 'talented footballers' but not many.  Most are hard working or promising and just 'good footballers'.  It's clear he was expect more.  

I'm mostly concerned that we have broken that truly excellent recruitment machine in some way.

But, given I'm a 'one large mouthful short of a pint' optimist, no mere glass half full, I noticed that TS sold about £2m of shares on the 6th August, so maybe that was after coming over here and realising he's got to plug the gap that the sponsors didn't fill ...? 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Another day closer. No more rumours
    Do you think Gallen went to Crewe for a spot of lunch and a hair cut?

It might not be true but it's a rumour. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!