Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• J BLOCK said:
    There are 43 games left...chill the fuck out.

I will admit that we have moved too slowly it seems but the fact is there are still 2 weeks left to strengthen. Obviously earlier is better..no escaping that. 

What I dont like is the shit TS seems to be getting...the guy is out there and excitable for sure but he wants what is best for this club and when was the last time we had that?

Dobson and Clare are good players...3 games dont automatically make them bad without redemption and now it seems there condemned. 

Just put your adult pants on and support the team. I am confident it will get better but unfortunately there isnt any patience.

Ipswich threw money at players and it hasnt been the start they hoped... 
    there has been no evidence of that so far.
    But have 43 games to change opinions but the simple fact is that even if they won player EFL players of the year, people on here would still find things to criticise...they are very much scapegoats at this point.
    I think it's more the fact that Sunderland fans were wetting themselves when we signed him and thus far he hasn't looked anywhere near a promotion winning midfielder for us. Yes there's 43 games, but he has negative feedback from other fans who have seen him more regularly too. 
    Yet Wimbledon loved him and wanted him to stay. 

Sean Clare was part of Burtons resurgence and whilst we dont know if that wanted him to stay, they spoke very highly of him. 

They dont just turn into shit as soon as they put a Charlton top on. 
    Wimbledon (and i dont mean this disrespectfully) and Burton should be a million miles below what we should be looking for in a player. 

Performing by Wimbledons standards shouldnt make someone a shoe in for us.
    In recent times you could probably say the same about Luton, Peterborough, Coventry and Blackpool, but all are now in a higher division than us.
  • My twopenath (sp) for what it's worth. Te the recruitment yes TS did say 4 of them involved, my guess is that TS looks purely at the financials of a deal and on advice of the other 3 either says yes spend x amount or not. Just my thoughts.
    Secondly I understand everyone getting 'twitchy' at the performances to date coupled with lack of depth in the squad.
    However, as a few others have said, Ipswich have got 16 new players, some of which people on here wanted us to get, and spent a few bob, but they are in exactly the same position we are...with 1 point and -2 GD.
    3 league games in is far to early to write people and teams off!
    I think I read somewhere on social media last night that the year we got promoted with CP we won just 1 of our first 6 games!
    I can't remember if that's true or not, but if it is, it does put things into a bit more context?
    Unfortunately not the case, that season we were rampant from the very beginning - Drew a couple of games, but then was at Sheffield United when the fans started singing: "We are unbeatable", we then went and lost our next away game (first one that season) at Stevenage on 15th October.

That 2011/12 season will always be impossible to compare though as we were just so good
    Off the top of my head P46 W30 D11 L5
  • edited August 2021
    Thought it might have been when CP took over from Parky but just seen reference to the 18/19 season above.
  • J BLOCK said:

I will admit that we have moved too slowly it seems but the fact is there are still 2 weeks left to strengthen. Obviously earlier is better..no escaping that. 

What I dont like is the shit TS seems to be getting...the guy is out there and excitable for sure but he wants what is best for this club and when was the last time we had that?

Dobson and Clare are good players...3 games dont automatically make them bad without redemption and now it seems there condemned. 

Just put your adult pants on and support the team. I am confident it will get better but unfortunately there isnt any patience.

But have 43 games to change opinions but the simple fact is that even if they won player EFL players of the year, people on here would still find things to criticise...they are very much scapegoats at this point.
    I think it's more the fact that Sunderland fans were wetting themselves when we signed him and thus far he hasn't looked anywhere near a promotion winning midfielder for us. Yes there's 43 games, but he has negative feedback from other fans who have seen him more regularly too. 

Sean Clare was part of Burtons resurgence and whilst we dont know if that wanted him to stay, they spoke very highly of him. 

It is beginning to seem that way.
    Because we havent won in 3 games with so many left to go? Come on.....

Please dont take that for me saying its okay to lose, it isnt and I found last night as frustrating as everyone else as MK Dons are a team we should be beating. 
  • J BLOCK said:

Please dont take that for me saying its okay to lose, it isnt and I found last night as frustrating as everyone else as MK Dons are a team we should be beating. 
    I don't think it's much to do about losing, no-one likes to lose but it happens, but it's the manner of those losses, the performances and the fact that anyone can see that the current squad isn't fit for purpose.
  • J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:

4 games - And it's the total lack of depth and investment that is the issue here. 
    Personally not arsed about the cup but thats my opinion. 

Going back to Ipswich....money doesnt buy you success if you look at there start.

We need players and I am not disputing that but my issue is the reaction of people going into full blown panic when none of us really know the strategy with these things in massive detail. 

There is a long way to go yet. 
  • It's the last day of the window 12 hours to go.
    Charlton put a bid in for a striker which is accepted by the club. Player and agent are also told another club in League 1 has met the valuation; but the difference is Charlton are struggling in 20th place and the other team are top of League 1 on max points.  

Also the team with max points play two up top and this player is convinced he is a step up on both of them so will get his chance soon enough.

At Cafc, Stockley plays as a lone striker so this goal scorer will have to either wait for Jayden to be injured or play wider in a three, 4-3-3 or play behind in a 4-2-3-1 (other formations are available !) 

So if we assume the wages are similar Why would a player come to Cafc who are looking more like relegation candidates over a team who are winning matches ?

This was my argument as I always thought we would have a slow start and was worried it would affect possible new recruits as the window prepares to close.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ll do my own realistic version of football manager with the transfers.  Our midfield three last night COULD have easily been:

Clare, Shinnie, Lapslie

Not world beaters at all but much better than what we’ve had on show thus far.  I don’t know who to point fingers at (Roddy/TS/Adkins) but we’ve fucked up somewhere along the way.
  • I see Wigan have signed James McLean, at least we will have someone to boo on Saturday ... 
  • J BLOCK said:

Wimbledon (and i dont mean this disrespectfully) and Burton should be a million miles below what we should be looking for in a player. 

Performing by Wimbledons standards shouldnt make someone a shoe in for us.
    Wimbledon have won and drew 2 after 3 games. Burton have won 3 out of 3. Based on that you could argue that they made mistakes in joining us...

Charlton are a bigger club in general but any team is only as good as the one that plays on the day. 
    Thats my point - we have bought players who are rejects from clubs below us which is only going to drag us down to below even their level.
  • Oops sorry just found it on Twitter. I got it completely wrong, it is saying and I quote,
    "In 2018/19 we won just 1 of our opening 6 games, and ended the season beating Sunderland at Wembley!"

Apologies for getting it sooo wrong! However it's something to bear in mind.

Difference there is you could see the squad was close and were performing even in defeat. You could also see a clear plan from Bowyer of how he wanted us to play. That just isn’t the case this year. 
  • Fair enough @ForeverAddickted, like I said I can't remember and thought it strange, but someone posted it, but as I'm getting older I can't remember where I read it!!! ☹️
    Oh deary me! ;)

• 2121 said:
    Also been quiet, but please can we sign anyone. Just anyone. For the love of god. 
    We did.,.,Dobson and Clare.... more of the same????
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Whose this guy??
    Reading's ex- Sporting Director.
  • Sage said:
    Whose this guy??
    Reading's ex- Sporting Director.
    Former Dutch professional football player as well.
  • Brian Tevreden is a Dutch former professional footballer who now works as a chief executive at Belgian side K.S.V. Roeselare. 

@sage are we just assuming this is aimed at Roddy senior or have their paths meet ?
    Not sure the contexts or who it may be aimed at ?

Lots of guys who are CEO's or similar in clubs have sons in the academy, Peter Varney's son was and I don't mean Luke Varney.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Roddy is now in charge of identifying players and Gallen does the negotiations. Gallen’s role has changed which is evident from the dross we’ve signed this summer.
    Had a gut feeling this was what was happening. If so, he is fucking it up big time. 
  • edited August 2021
    Rumours round up?

Rumours in

Henderson -  training with us, was alleged to have signed about 2 weeks ago.

Blackett- Taylor - league 2 winger on trial.

Not exactly inspiring, Blackett-taylor hasn't exactly set league 2 "on fire", prefer a more "ready" player as back up over the youth as think they benefit more from a well measured introduction, but, if that's the bench warmer/ competition for DJ/Washington/Kirk then might as well leave that spot for Clayden and Ghandor and alternate them on the bench. Especially if there's a budget constraint and the need for more signings.

Henderson... Injuries are an issue but I guess you wouldn't expect him to play much, again, do you keep Harness on the bench instead and manage that money better.

Rumours out - like the ins we've not heard a peep about any of our players being sniffed at, in particular, Schwartz. 

We're all expecting him to be off but there hasnt been a whisper of him going, either perm or loan, you'd imagine given his recent personal life changes and the fact he doesn't look fancied by Adkins, that his agent would be working his nuts off to get him out, but, nope. Nothing. Zippo.

Personally think he isn't leaving, a touch of Sandgaard influence perhaps.
  • edited August 2021
    Sage said:
    Brian Tevreden is a Dutch former professional footballer who now works as a chief executive at Belgian side K.S.V. Roeselare. 

@sage are we just assuming this is aimed at Roddy senior or have their paths meet ?
    Not sure the contexts or who it may be aimed at ?

Lots of guys who are CEO's or similar in clubs have sons in the academy, Peter Varney's son was and I don't mean Luke Varney.
    Tevreden was the sporting director of Reading around the time of Roddy at the club. Roddy was then sacked so that’s the link, and is what makes it worrying. No way of course shows it’s definitely about him, but the link is there.
     Cheers Sage, I hadn't got round to seeing his full CV but I agree it does point to Roddy.

We are in desperate need of an attacking left footed LB who can cross the ball with his left foot and overlap on the left side( I think you have made your point Sam!)
    Gunter bless him, is not that man as he is a RB. Nor is Jacob Roddy who may be a decent player in U18 but looked out of his depth on my one and only time I saw him play for 1st team ( Wimbledon)

A goal scoring midfielder.

A playmaker Midfielder with either Clare, Morgan or Gilbey doing  the running as they  have legs and can run and pass 

A goal scoring striker no reason needed !

Goals get people off their seats not clean sheets which are important obviously but have no problem with 2-1 wins and being pro active in forward play. Seeing Gunter constantly passing back is so depressing.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!