Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Swisdom said:
    So do we have any idea who Steve Gallen was scouting last night?  He was definitely off watching someone.  If, as rumours suggested, he was at Crewe then it was a wasted journey watching Dale as he was "sick" apparently
    No one seems to have considered we play Crewe in 2 games time so he might not have been scouting for potential signings. Could have pre-game prep for future opponent 
    AFKA, pissing on the fireworks again.🤨
  • Maccn05 said:
    On the critiquing of George Dobson. I have a perspective on this as I played in the CDM position for 10 years+ and mostly at a semi-pro level so I'd like to think I have some knowledge of the role. So I've watched Dobson closely so far for that reason, I'm always drawn the the CDM's.

Off the ball - IMO my role was to spot danger, anticipate gaps and cover for out of place defenders, for example dropping in for an attacking right back
    On the ball - very simply my role was to press, win it and give to the better players

IMO opinion he's done this very well so far. I thought he was very good pressing and won some good tackles against Sheff W and Oxford (it was v. harsh to be subbed for Watson) last night he wasn't as good and for me it's his worse game as he didn't sniff out the danger and fill the gaps i.e. the first goal.

BUT the bigger issue for him is the players in front of him are poor and making him look worse, Albie & Clare either don't show for the ball or immediately lose it. As has been said he's the water carrier giving it to the ball players so I think we are being overly harsh if we expect lung busting runs and 40 yard passes to feet, that's not his job it's AM & SC. If he could do that he would be in the Prem. - like Watson used to be when he had legs.

Lets give him some time and appreciate he needs others to do their job for him to look good. The whole unit is off, not just one or two specifics areas. He was very good for AFC, and from what i've read they are playing some lovely stuff since the new manager came in.

So far the only player to impress this season have been Akin, and to a less degree Stockley & Dobson, and DJ for 2 45min spells.
    Interesting post. Might be worth sharing in the "we have a relegation midfield" thread too
  • Swisdom said:
    So do we have any idea who Steve Gallen was scouting last night?  He was definitely off watching someone.  If, as rumours suggested, he was at Crewe then it was a wasted journey watching Dale as he was "sick" apparently
    No one seems to have considered we play Crewe in 2 games time so he might not have been scouting for potential signings. Could have pre-game prep for future opponent 
    Surely he wouldn't do the general, opposition scouting though? He's too senior/important for that
  • Swisdom said:
    Does Gallen do that then? I thought we had a network of scouts and analysts that do work like this (not a huge network but I'm sure they said before we have a couple of guys that go and watch games and relay info back to the management team)
  • sam3110 said:
    Swisdom said:
    Does Gallen do that then? I thought we had a network of scouts and analysts that do work like this (not a huge network but I'm sure they said before we have a couple of guys that go and watch games and relay info back to the management team)
    Yes I doubt he'd be scouting upcoming opposition in the middle of a transfer window.
  • Lb left over Roddy interference there is a lot of unrest in the club I have heard that from 3 different people also Steve is working his nuts off but his hands are tied.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    sam3110 said:
    Swisdom said:
    The way Gallen's role has been described these last 24-hours (in the sense that he does the negotiating) I'm hoping that if he was in Crewe, it was because he was going to meet a player, and we've been given permission to talk to them whilst a deal gets sorted between the clubs

That could have be one of Tom Lowery, frozen out because he refuses to sign a new deal and is in a situation like Dillon Phillips last season - Or Owen Dale who wasnt involved yesterday because he was suddenly ill and unavailable last night.

Either that or Gallen was seen up there because Nantwich Town have some decent Winger and Crewe was the closest place to stay.

Cant also rule out the fact that SG might be Charltonised and was visiting the Railway Heritage Centre!!
  • If we go 1 down at home to Wigan it’s gonna turn toxic pretty sharpish.  Not a rumour, a fact.
    Sadly true. 
    Well aware we’ve been shocking for two league games in a row now (whilst finishing was poor against Wednesday, we at least looked much better than against Oxford/MK), but there’s an argument to say at this point in the season, we should try and support the players with songs/chants/drums when going behind, rather than heading for toxic behaviour of booing. But you’re right, it’s a fact it will turn that way, even if it’s something I don’t think we should do. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:
    I heard he was in Crewe, not at Oxford.

Neither Dale nor Lowery traveled to Oxford but that's pure speculation on my part.  It could be that Crewe is a convenient place to meet representatives of clubs and players based in the North West in regards to different signings. 

Or he could have a bit on the side there.... 
    Lowery won't be travelling anywhere with Crewe at the moment. He's been frozen out and didn't even feature in pre-season games as he won't sign a new contract.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:
    I heard he was in Crewe, not at Oxford.

Neither Dale nor Lowery traveled to Oxford but that's pure speculation on my part.  It could be that Crewe is a convenient place to meet representatives of clubs and players based in the North West in regards to different signings. 

Or he could have a bit on the side there.... 
    Lowery won't be travelling anywhere with Crewe at the moment. He's been frozen out and didn't even feature in pre-season games as he won't sign a new contract.
    I know that which means he is highly likely to be in Crewe, or the surrounding area yesterday...... 
  • Swisdom said:
    If Cawleys tweet is accurate, he wouldn’t be scouting anyone, he would be negotiating a deal - either with the selling club or the player and his agent. 
  • Swisdom said:
    If Cawleys tweet is accurate, he wouldn’t be scouting anyone, he would be negotiating a deal - either with the selling club or the player and his agent. 
    Maybe he went for a job interview ?
  • Swisdom said:

• If there is anything in the Ged Roddy nepotism conspiracy going on what I struggle with is the role of Nigel Adkins and up to a point Johnnie Jackson. Both are senior playing side with a lot of kudos and experience. I couldn’t see them buying into it if I’m honest. 
    What are they meant to do, stage a coup? 

People are angry with the performances and are looking for a bogeyman to direct all the blame towards. 
    You’ve totally missed the point. If as suggested there is nepotism from Roddy then I would hope those two, manager and assistant manager to say I’m not having that. What’s this coup bollox about. 
    Roddy wouldn’t have signed his son without Adkins’ approval. If he did, I’d be more concerned about how weak our manager is. There’s no evidence for either and until there is, I’m not going to get sucked into the vacuum of anger. 
  • Rumours round up?

Rumours in

Henderson -  training with us, was alleged to have signed about 2 weeks ago.

Blackett- Taylor - league 2 winger on trial.

Not exactly inspiring, Blackett-taylor hasn't exactly set league 2 "on fire", prefer a more "ready" player as back up over the youth as think they benefit more from a well measured introduction, but, if that's the bench warmer/ competition for DJ/Washington/Kirk then might as well leave that spot for Clayden and Ghandor and alternate them on the bench. Especially if there's a budget constraint and the need for more signings.

Henderson... Injuries are an issue but I guess you wouldn't expect him to play much, again, do you keep Harness on the bench instead and manage that money better.

Rumours out - like the ins we've not heard a peep about any of our players being sniffed at, in particular, Schwartz. 

We're all expecting him to be off but there hasnt been a whisper of him going, either perm or loan, you'd imagine given his recent personal life changes and the fact he doesn't look fancied by Adkins, that his agent would be working his nuts off to get him out, but, nope. Nothing. Zippo.

Personally think he isn't leaving, a touch of Sandgaard influence perhaps.
    Can we add Roddy (x2) and Keohane to the exit list?
  • edited August 2021
    If there is anything in the Ged Roddy nepotism conspiracy going on what I struggle with is the role of Nigel Adkins and up to a point Johnnie Jackson. Both are senior playing side with a lot of kudos and experience. I couldn’t see them buying into it if I’m honest. 

People are angry with the performances and are looking for a bogeyman to direct all the blame towards. 
    You’ve totally missed the point. If as suggested there is nepotism from Roddy then I would hope those two, manager and assistant manager to say I’m not having that. What’s this coup bollox about. 
    Roddy wouldn’t have signed his son without Adkins’ approval. If he did, I’d be more concerned about how weak our manager is. There’s no evidence for either and until there is, I’m not going to get sucked into the vacuum of anger. 
     Surely Avory would get a say on youngsters moving up to pro contracts?
    A man of his integrity surely would have advised we get him in the U18/U23s and have a look before you go offering him a contract.
    The speed at which he's got in the door stinks if you ask me.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    We've just signed a player from Crewe, for all we know he's there tidying things up in regards to Kirk, maybe even meeting his family given the recent news, it's not like we have a CEO to do all that, and Gallen was pretty active in all sorts when he was appointed DOF to begin with.
  • Swisdom said:
    Stop being the voice of reason and being sensible. Get pissed up tonight and tell us what you really think 🤪
  • edited August 2021
    If there is anything in the Ged Roddy nepotism conspiracy going on what I struggle with is the role of Nigel Adkins and up to a point Johnnie Jackson. Both are senior playing side with a lot of kudos and experience. I couldn’t see them buying into it if I’m honest. 

A man of his integrity surely would have advised we get him in the U18/U23s and have a look before you go offering him a contract.
    I agree, there’s certainly an aspect that leads me to believe he’s been fast tracked - but I don’t have enough evidence to start pointing fingers or protest anything. 

If Adkins didn’t rate him why has he been playing in preseason and in a first team cup game? Adkins is either a complete yes man, which his time at Hull suggests he isn’t, or he rates the kid enough to play him.
  • If there is anything in the Ged Roddy nepotism conspiracy going on what I struggle with is the role of Nigel Adkins and up to a point Johnnie Jackson. Both are senior playing side with a lot of kudos and experience. I couldn’t see them buying into it if I’m honest. 

I agree, there’s certainly an aspect that leads me to believe he’s been fast tracked - but I don’t have enough evidence to start pointing fingers or protest anything. 

If Adkins didn’t rate him why has he been playing in preseason and in a first team cup game? Adkins is either a complete yes man, which his time at Hull suggests he isn’t, or he rates the kid enough to play him.
    Yeah, as much as the whole thing about Roddy Jr getting a contract is a bit odd (to say the least) I'm not sure we can go as far as saying Daddy is somehow responsible for getting him game time as well.

For one thing, why would Gunter be playing there at all if that were the case? I can't see how Roddy Sr has the weirdly specific amount of influence to interfere with team selection but only in some games. 

Secondly, why would Adkins go along with it? He's already proved willing to leave a job if he's got issues with interference from above but now he's suddenly lost his spine? Doesn't seem likely.

I think Junior got given a chance on his own merits and probably blew it, frankly. 

The bigger issue / question is whether Ged has delayed the acquisition of a new left back to give his son a game. I don’t know enough about the u23s or u18s to know if there was a better natural left back to play in the cup game who may have been “held back” by JR playing that game or making the league squad. If he is all we have then I have no problem with NA over the team selection. 
  • edited August 2021
    https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/announcement/sam-woods-departs-crystal-palace/2021-08-18/

Right footed centre back. Was on loan at Plymouth last year.
    Woods was born on 11 September 1998 and supported Crystal Palace as a child.....

I am sure I mentioned him about 500 pages ago as one we should look at but the only thing I can find is a thread from 2008 about Bromley's left back and @Dazzler21 released list. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!