Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• There are 43 games left...chill the fuck out.

I will admit that we have moved too slowly it seems but the fact is there are still 2 weeks left to strengthen. Obviously earlier is better..no escaping that. 

What I dont like is the shit TS seems to be getting...the guy is out there and excitable for sure but he wants what is best for this club and when was the last time we had that?

Dobson and Clare are good players...3 games dont automatically make them bad without redemption and now it seems there condemned. 

Just put your adult pants on and support the team. I am confident it will get better but unfortunately there isnt any patience.

Ipswich threw money at players and it hasnt been the start they hoped... 
    there has been no evidence of that so far.
    But have 43 games to change opinions but the simple fact is that even if they won player EFL players of the year, people on here would still find things to criticise...they are very much scapegoats at this point.
    I think it's more the fact that Sunderland fans were wetting themselves when we signed him and thus far he hasn't looked anywhere near a promotion winning midfielder for us. Yes there's 43 games, but he has negative feedback from other fans who have seen him more regularly too. 
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Wow probably not the thread, but fuck me this is depressing 3 games in and people are writing of the new players. 
    McWhatever - He was player of the year for Portsmouth, new players in front of him and probably still needs to settle
    Dobson/Clare - Personally i feel people have been overly critical, they have the potential to be a great partnership although we need a chief play-maker to pass too
    DJ - Semi new, one game he is awful by the fans standard and the next he is dangerous and we should be passing to him more, ie. a typical winger
    Kirk- No judgement yet, 30 minutes and clearly Gunter isn't the best person to play in front of and get the ball forward. 

Facts, we still need a LB urgently, CAM urgent unless Gilbey is back very soon! We need a pacey striker to play off Stockley, as good as he has been he just doesn't have the pace so becomes predictable. Our bench is just shocking, at no point did i think we can bring on xx and they will change the game, Kirk aside. Also Back up Keeper or someone to battle McWhatever. 

TLDR- 3 games in lets not write players off, 2 weeks to go fingers crossed we get another 3/4 players in of the required quality
    Goalkeepers don't need time to settle to know where in the goal to stand. Dobson and Clare a 'great' partnership? What evidence have you seen that suggests that? 
    Of course they do, they need to build a partnership with the defence. They need confidence and to settle in the new club/environment, not saying every keeper needs it but its 3  games and he clearly did enough for Portsmouth and they were sad to see him go. 

Dobson, works hard, gets everywhere. Sometimes he might not be seen as much but i think he could be vital this season. Time will tell..

Clare has some touches of quality and drives us forward, again i dont think either have been standout yet but i can see them forging a partnership in the middle but we need someone to compliment them.

well see, too early to write them off in my opinion
    Needing time to gel with a defence is different to not giving a striker half your goal for a one on one.

I'm sure he'll improve but, if Bannan had scored on the opening day, then he would have been directly at fault for a goal in all 3 matches so far. 

I mean he may have got his positioning wrong last night but directly responsible for the goal when he was left one in one due to a poor decision by Dobson and our CB's allowing a huge space between them which meant the most simple of forwards balls left Parrott through is hardly his fault 
  • edited August 2021
    CafcSCP said:
    I'm amazed people keep talking about we have 2 weeks to bring players in.

It's now too late.

We've had 3 months to sign players. Anyone decent who would make us a top 6 side has already been signed up.......or will cost more than TS is prepared to throw at it.

The only players coming in before Sept 1st will be loans & freebies. The loans will be mainly untried & untested like Levitt and the freebies players who have not done a pre-season so will take weeks to get match fit.
    So we dont bother to bring anyone f**king in???
    Cullen and Bielik were both signed after the start of a season weren’t they? Not sure golfie has this right.
    30th and 16th August respectively. 
  • Swisdom said:
    So do we have any idea who Steve Gallen was scouting last night?  He was definitely off watching someone.  If, as rumours suggested, he was at Crewe then it was a wasted journey watching Dale as he was "sick" apparently
    If we’re scouting players at this point it should be for January. If he’s out scouting for next window when we currently need at least six first eleven quality players in the next two weeks then it confirms what a complete shambles our pre season has been. 
  • edited August 2021
    My twopenath (sp) for what it's worth. With the recruitment yes TS did say 4 of them involved, my guess is that TS looks purely at the financials of a deal and on advice of the other 3 either says yes spend x amount or not. Just my thoughts.
    Secondly I understand everyone getting 'twitchy' at the performances to date coupled with lack of depth in the squad.
    However, as a few others have said, Ipswich have got 16 new players, some of which people on here wanted us to get, and spent a few bob, but they are in exactly the same position we are...with 1 point and -2 GD.
    3 league games in is far to early to write people and teams off!
    I think I read somewhere on social media last night that the year we got promoted with CP we won just 1 of our first 6 games!
    I can't remember if that's true or not, but if it is, it does put things into a bit more context?
  • My twopenath (sp) for what it's worth. With the recruitment yes TS did say 4 of them involved, my guess is that TS looks purely at the financials of a deal and on advice of the other 3 either says yes spend x amount or not. Just my thoughts.
    Secondly I understand everyone getting 'twitchy' at the performances to date coupled with lack of depth in the squad.
    However, as a few others have said, Ipswich have got 16 new players, some of which people on here wanted us to get, and spent a few bob, but they are in exactly the same position we are...with 1 point and -2 GD.
    I think I read somewhere on social media last night that the year we got promoted with CP we won just 1 of our first 6 games!
    I can't remember if that's true or not, but if it is, it does put things into a bit more context?

We were unbeaten in first 12.

First 6 league games:
    WWWDWD
  • Fair enough @ForeverAddickted, like I said I can't remember and thought it strange, but someone posted it, but as I'm getting older I can't remember where I read it!!! ☹️
  • My twopenath (sp) for what it's worth. With the recruitment yes TS did say 4 of them involved, my guess is that TS looks purely at the financials of a deal and on advice of the other 3 either says yes spend x amount or not. Just my thoughts.
    8 wins and 4 draws from our first 12 games.

i.e.  8 points dropped in 12 games, we've dropped 8 in 3 so far.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fair enough @ForeverAddickted, like I said I can't remember and thought it strange, but someone posted it, but as I'm getting older I can't remember where I read it!!! ☹️
    Including the EFL trophy we won 1 of our first 6 matches in the 18/19 promotion season, that might have been what was posted
    How many did we win of our first 6 in 18/19?

2, if we win on Saturday we will have the same number of points as we did then.  Admittedly it's a massive if. 
  • CafcSCP said:
    I'm amazed people keep talking about we have 2 weeks to bring players in.

It's now too late.

We've had 3 months to sign players. Anyone decent who would make us a top 6 side has already been signed up.......or will cost more than TS is prepared to throw at it.

The only players coming in before Sept 1st will be loans & freebies. The loans will be mainly untried & untested like Levitt and the freebies players who have not done a pre-season so will take weeks to get match fit.
    So we dont bother to bring anyone f**king in???
    Cullen and Bielik were both signed after the start of a season weren’t they? Not sure golfie has this right.
    30th and 16th August respectively. 
    Cullen and Bielik may have arrived late that window BUT before they arrived, we already looked good, even if the results weren't special

The first game of the season, we lost to Sunderland after basically running out of legs, due to the puny squad, but we played really well. We looked like a decent side that just needed a couple of players to complete it, whereas now we look bang average.
    8 wins and 4 draws from our first 12 games.

i.e.  8 points dropped in 12 games, we've dropped 8 in 3 so far.

So we win the next nine and it’s on........
    Win next 9 and 7th is definitely possible.
  • I understand all the "squeaky bum" stuff - but it really is early days.  Yes we need more in - we all know that (including the gang of 4 in the club).  But I think we should wait until (1) the window has closed, (2) 10 games have passed... then judge.  New players coming in take time to "fit".  Kirk, last night, looked lost to me.  IMO I think I can see a steady  improvment in the team each game.  I think Adkins should mix it up a bit - especially after losing - but then we all moaned at Bowyer for constantly doing that - maybe give NA a bit of time?
  • We're desperate for more creativity - as implied by Nigel's mention of our hardworking players. But as well as more composure in the No.10 role, we just have to add more from the full back / wing backs. Until we do, Dobson & Clare's industry will provide little and we'll effectively continue with three attack-minded players per game, with Watson coming on to change that! That makes the wingers a lot easier to subdue and in turn leaves Stockley completely isolated, chasing straight balls pumped in panic from 70 yards. Job done for all opponents. 
  • RedRobin said:
    The amount of players we’ve seemingly missed out on is a joke. Scott Twine was shoulders above Albie last night, crying out for a player like him but apparently we were not in for him. Whoever is in charge of recruitment at the moment is having a mare and I highly doubt it’s Gallen!!! 
    Can only miss out if we are interested in the first  place … 
    That was literally the point he was making.

We should've been interested and in for him.
  • edited August 2021
    Oops sorry just found it on Twitter. I got it completely wrong, it is saying and I quote,
    "In 2018/19 we won just 1 of our opening 6 games, and ended the season beating Sunderland at Wembley!"

Apologies for getting it sooo wrong! However it's something to bear in mind.

That season we had unbelievable quality all over the pitch. 

Phillips, Dijksteel, Bauer, Sarr, Bielik, Cullen, Aribo, Grant, Taylor.

TS could add an extra 5m to the transfer budget and we still wouldn’t get anywhere near the quality of that starting 11. I’d also add that this League One is probably better standard, or at least more competitive, than 18/19
  • Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    There are 43 games left...chill the fuck out.

I will admit that we have moved too slowly it seems but the fact is there are still 2 weeks left to strengthen. Obviously earlier is better..no escaping that. 

What I dont like is the shit TS seems to be getting...the guy is out there and excitable for sure but he wants what is best for this club and when was the last time we had that?

Dobson and Clare are good players...3 games dont automatically make them bad without redemption and now it seems there condemned. 

Just put your adult pants on and support the team. I am confident it will get better but unfortunately there isnt any patience.

But have 43 games to change opinions but the simple fact is that even if they won player EFL players of the year, people on here would still find things to criticise...they are very much scapegoats at this point.
    I think it's more the fact that Sunderland fans were wetting themselves when we signed him and thus far he hasn't looked anywhere near a promotion winning midfielder for us. Yes there's 43 games, but he has negative feedback from other fans who have seen him more regularly too. 
    Yet Wimbledon loved him and wanted him to stay. 

Sean Clare was part of Burtons resurgence and whilst we dont know if that wanted him to stay, they spoke very highly of him. 

They dont just turn into shit as soon as they put a Charlton top on. 
    Wimbledon (and i dont mean this disrespectfully) and Burton should be a million miles below what we should be looking for in a player. 

Performing by Wimbledons standards shouldnt make someone a shoe in for us.
  • RedRobin said:
    The amount of players we’ve seemingly missed out on is a joke. Scott Twine was shoulders above Albie last night, crying out for a player like him but apparently we were not in for him. Whoever is in charge of recruitment at the moment is having a mare and I highly doubt it’s Gallen!!! 

We wouldn’t have been able to afford him. MK Dons seemingly financed the Twine deal knowing they’d sell Fraser for a sizeable fee. 
    It was about the 18/19 season with Bowyer; we won one of our first 6.
  • RedRobin said:

We wouldn’t have been able to afford him. MK Dons seemingly financed the Twine deal knowing they’d sell Fraser for a sizeable fee. 
    He was out of contract. I can't believe that either his compensation fee or whatever his MK Dons salary is would've been out of our reach.
  • J BLOCK said:

Sean Clare was part of Burtons resurgence and whilst we dont know if that wanted him to stay, they spoke very highly of him. 

Wimbledon (and i dont mean this disrespectfully) and Burton should be a million miles below what we should be looking for in a player. 

Performing by Wimbledons standards shouldnt make someone a shoe in for us.
    Wimbledon have won and drew 2 after 3 games. Burton have won 3 out of 3. Based on that you could argue that they made mistakes in joining us...

Charlton are a bigger club in general but any team is only as good as the one that plays on the day. 
  • edited August 2021
    In that Cawley tweet it says Ged Roddy and his recruitment team - who exactly is his team if it’s not Gallen and it’s not Adkins? Is Gladys the tea lady recommending players because ‘he looks like a nice boy’
    I’ve served on juries like that @AddickUpNorth despite all the damning evidence that the toe rags were guilty 😤.
  • J BLOCK said:

You watched us over the years?!
    Haha Very much so and there have been some stinkers! My point mostly is that I personally believe Clare and Dobson will come good. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!