Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:

👀👀👀

Genuinely laughed out loud at that hahaha
  • thenewbie said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Clarky said:

Obviously getting these deals done is not really simple, however , I think this is a perfectly reasonable tweet and thought process. The top 4 players are all playing in League 1 and will all be on lower wages than we should be able to afford bearing in mind 3 of them play in front of crowds of 5k or less. The loan player will be a Prem loan. Maybe they want to go to the Championship but money there seems even tighter than our League and as we reach the end of the window , its reasonable to assume that prices will fall a bit from those quoted above.

None of us are privy to what Thomas's financial limitations are but I think the basic premise above is a fair one that with the players quoted, all of whom are likely to be available and on 'relatively' low wages we would be building a team for the next 3-4 years and we would have a much greater chance of promotion which brings a stronger financial model. 

Trouble is he criticised TS for his "ridiculous claims" and begins this bit of fun with "it's really simple". 
    Well picking a list of realistic targets is simple - but never said getting the deals done would.

The claims from TS we’re ridiculous and are proving so, his raising of expectations is a large reason why a big section of the fans are unhappy. That can’t be disputed.

and to be fair I didn’t Criticise him in the post only on here even though. Some people seem to think you can’t be a TS supporter but still disagree with things he does.
    It absolutely can. I really don't know how people somehow took what was clearly an extravagant and excitable person being extravagant and excitable as some sort of gospel truth or policy pledge.

If it is "ridiculous" now, it was equally ridiculous then, and if this is true then more fool anyone who took it seriously and now feels daft. Reality is we are in League One in a post-Covid reality and competing against clubs like Sunderland, Wigan and Ipswich (Just as examples) who can at least match us in the market and probably offer more.

If Sandgaard was a Hulyer or Southall type I would agree.
    Sandgaard is CEO of Zynex Inc.
    I thought you could believe a man of that standing.
    I know better now, but I don't feel daft.
    I won't be so trusting again, which is a pity.
    Mmmm..Doesn't work as a limerick  B)
  • edited August 2021
    Never heard of him and he's at Tranmere so not hugely enthused but come on guys, you're missing the key point.

He's got a double barrel name!
  • JamesSeed said:
    Wigan and Ipswich have done their business early which is what we did when we’re promoted easily 10 years ago.Whilst none of us know what the budget is or who we should sign,we do know what is needed,another striker,a left back and an attacking midfielder,not to mention an experienced back up keeper.Adkins and Gallen must know this as well but whilst we don’t have them we will continue to drop points which may prove costly later.Surely with most clubs broke there have been enough good players available, so are we not smart enough or not rich enough to compete?and are we going to just be an average league 1 club instead of what we all believe,a decent Championship one.This is a big season and so far I find it worrying 
     We are an average League 1 team .
    We were an average League 1 team in the Crofts/Foley era. I don’t think we’re as poor as that now. We can revisit this in a few weeks time. 
    It would be an interesting game. On the balance of it, I think that side would edge it against the current side - although we still have a lot more building to do.

Let’s not forget that side included: Phillips, Aribo, Teixeira, Fox, Konsa, Grant, Lookman, Magennis, Pearce, Solly, JFC, Jay Dasilva and loads of other squad players like Chickson and Ulvestad.

Looking back it was a team worse than the sum of its parts
    Early Aribo wasn’t as good as later Aribo. Konsa and Lookman too. There were some awful performances that season and we hovered outside the relegation spots for a time. Slade era. 
  • Addicks59 said:
    In reply to forever addicted we have an offer for tucker on the table but as we all know the valuation gills have placed on him it will happen hopefully.As for mullins we enquired but his agent blew that one out of the window these things happen in football nailed on one minute blown out the next 
    Neither of those sound like they were ever close to nailed on though from your own description. Sounds like we didn't get to actually communicating with the player in either cases to me
    Cawley said we had no interest in Mullin. Correct spelling.
    Addicks59 said we wanted Mullins. Incorrect spelling.
    I believe Cawley.

We were linked to Mullins.  It was in the mirror and everything.  In 2007

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/7996/hayden-mullins 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Tranmere fans say he plays well when he can be bothered, which works out about once every 5 games. Sounds like a typical Charlton winger.
    Not good enough for a top league 1 team pushing for promotion we need better !!
    This is what happens when you are late to the boxing day sales. All that is left is what no-one else wants. Or damaged goods at the bottom of the bargain bins. 
    Like the Millers at closing time? 
    Wouldn't know mate......I'm already in a cab with the bird you've been eyeing up all night. 
    I thought you were a IFA not a cabbie 😂😂
    Even I lol'd for that one.
  • Wonder where it all went wrong for Blackett-Taylor? Maybe there is something in the 'lack of motivation' at Tranmere. His wiki said he played for England U19s and scored 2 in 4 at the age of just 16. Now you must be fairly decent to be that far ahead of your age group.
    Well Wiki says he joined Villa at age 1, so he was an early developer.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Wigan and Ipswich have done their business early which is what we did when we’re promoted easily 10 years ago.Whilst none of us know what the budget is or who we should sign,we do know what is needed,another striker,a left back and an attacking midfielder,not to mention an experienced back up keeper.Adkins and Gallen must know this as well but whilst we don’t have them we will continue to drop points which may prove costly later.Surely with most clubs broke there have been enough good players available, so are we not smart enough or not rich enough to compete?and are we going to just be an average league 1 club instead of what we all believe,a decent Championship one.This is a big season and so far I find it worrying 
    We were an average League 1 team in the Crofts/Foley era. I don’t think we’re as poor as that now. We can revisit this in a few weeks time. 
    It would be an interesting game. On the balance of it, I think that side would edge it against the current side - although we still have a lot more building to do.

Let’s not forget that side included: Phillips, Aribo, Teixeira, Fox, Konsa, Grant, Lookman, Magennis, Pearce, Solly, JFC, Jay Dasilva and loads of other squad players like Chickson and Ulvestad.

Early Aribo wasn’t as good as later Aribo. Konsa and Lookman too. There were some awful performances that season and we hovered outside the relegation spots for a time. Slade era. 
    Lookman was only there the first half of that season, sold in Jan. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

That was Lookman’s last season for us, by far his best spell in a Charlton shirt. 

Agree Aribo and Konsa where better the season after but we did have top prospects from the u23’s coming through and making a difference in the first team. That’s something we sorely lack this year. 
  • thenewbie said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Clarky said:

Obviously getting these deals done is not really simple, however , I think this is a perfectly reasonable tweet and thought process. The top 4 players are all playing in League 1 and will all be on lower wages than we should be able to afford bearing in mind 3 of them play in front of crowds of 5k or less. The loan player will be a Prem loan. Maybe they want to go to the Championship but money there seems even tighter than our League and as we reach the end of the window , its reasonable to assume that prices will fall a bit from those quoted above.

None of us are privy to what Thomas's financial limitations are but I think the basic premise above is a fair one that with the players quoted, all of whom are likely to be available and on 'relatively' low wages we would be building a team for the next 3-4 years and we would have a much greater chance of promotion which brings a stronger financial model. 

Trouble is he criticised TS for his "ridiculous claims" and begins this bit of fun with "it's really simple". 
    Well picking a list of realistic targets is simple - but never said getting the deals done would.

The claims from TS we’re ridiculous and are proving so, his raising of expectations is a large reason why a big section of the fans are unhappy. That can’t be disputed.

and to be fair I didn’t Criticise him in the post only on here even though. Some people seem to think you can’t be a TS supporter but still disagree with things he does.
    It absolutely can. I really don't know how people somehow took what was clearly an extravagant and excitable person being extravagant and excitable as some sort of gospel truth or policy pledge.

If it is "ridiculous" now, it was equally ridiculous then, and if this is true then more fool anyone who took it seriously and now feels daft. Reality is we are in League One in a post-Covid reality and competing against clubs like Sunderland, Wigan and Ipswich (Just as examples) who can at least match us in the market and probably offer more.

If Sandgaard was a Hulyer or Southall type I would agree.
    Sandgaard is CEO of Zynex Inc.
    I thought you could believe a man of that standing.
    I know better now, but I don't feel daft.
    I won't be so trusting again, which is a pity.
    Mmmm..Doesn't work as a limerick  B)
    Oh god he's at it again.

Covered End keeps writing poems.
    That do not scan and do not rhyme.
    They are all about football.
    And the last lines sometimes go on for quite an extended period of time.
  • Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    MrBurns said:

This is the kind of thing the recruitment team and TS are up against. 

Expectations have been set so high, no matter what good business we do, it will be seen as “being done on the cheap” by a vocal section of the fan base. 

Not digging out this specific poster but it does show how some fans are living in a completely different reality. 
    Tucker for £0.5m LOL
    So to be open this was my post on Twitter.

My intention was simply to create some debate over who you’d like us to sign if we did spend bit mainly about the balance between do you spend the money and push for promotion and the extra £6m it delivers or do you do it on a budget and continue to lose £5-10m each season of you don’t go up?

Effectively what’s more cost effective / the best way. Not a serious demand of TS - and anyone who thinks it was needs to remove the stick from up their arse!

If you read the full thread you can clearly see I say I don’t expect this to happen at all. It’s just some fun, musings, ideas.

But it also Shows one of the biggest problems - our fanbase is divided right now between ‘The realists’ or the ‘Cult of Sandgaard’ or whatever you want to call it. I try sit in the middle-ish But it’s pretty nasty on the socials.

If anyone posts anything on socials it just becomes a mud slinging match, point scoring with people trying to mug people off and a battle between the two sides. Our fan base isn’t a nice place right now, largely instigated by TS’s ridiculous claims. As evidenced on here by the comments to my post and it’s why I rarely post anymore after trying to get involved with this ‘community’

The names selected were simply players I rate I have no ideas on the fees, I’m just a fan. But for your information I was told by some people who have a direct line in that yeah we did hold discussions with Tucker (no fee agreed) and we did discuss a deal when Charles (he was interested but wants a Champ move, if not would consider us) so is it really so ridiculous or living in another reality?

… and yeah I really do love FM have played it successfully for 30 years particularly on my business travels 👍🏼

So chill the F out people it was just a bit of fun. It’s only football!
    Divided fan base which you’ve added fuel to the fire with needless comments on TS
    So we can’t challenge anything TS says or does… we just blindly agree because it’s TS?

But well done ignore everything I wrote just to summarise in that way. Your a great example of what I described 👍🏼
    Telling the guy how to spend his money and act as chief scout on Twitter. Not long before schools go back and social media won’t be full of this rubbish 👏🏻 
    Where was I being TS’s chief scout and telling him how to spend his money 🤣🤣🤣

I said it was a bit of fun and bit of fantasy football and what it.

You really need to calm down, breathe and try to debate rather than just chucking out insults & snidey comments
    I just find it very weird that fully grown men go onto Twitter and list signings we should make and how much we should pay, having a pop at the owner for not following your suggestions along the way. 
    When did I have a pop for not following my suggested signings? … your just making stuff up now, that’s pretty weird too.

IT WAS JUST A BIT OF FUN TO HAVE A DEBATE ON POTENTIAL SIGNINGS AND THE RIGHT TRANSFER STRATEGY.

… get over yourself 
    Quite right, and I took it with a pinch of salt. Problem is not everyone on Twitter would have. You needed a Joke Alert emoji. ‘cept there isn’t one. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Tranmere fans say he plays well when he can be bothered, which works out about once every 5 games. Sounds like a typical Charlton winger.
    Not good enough for a top league 1 team pushing for promotion we need better !!
    This is what happens when you are late to the boxing day sales. All that is left is what no-one else wants. Or damaged goods at the bottom of the bargain bins. 
    Like the Millers at closing time? 
    Wouldn't know mate......I'm already in a cab with the bird you've been eyeing up all night. 
    Be gentle though as she has only recently had the cock removal part of the op. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Imagine he's coming in as back up, good signing and Wigan fans were very keen on him when he was on trial. 
  • Well this is all going very well isn't it?
  • Hard to get excited about a bloke not really doing it at Tranmere. If he’s a back up to DJ then, I guess. But this feels very much like wheeling and dealing at the arse end. Yes, we need to see the entire picture with our final business by the end of the window. Hopefully this guy will be in the ‘squad’ category, players to supplement a few marquee Kirk-like signings.  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨RUMOUR 🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

He is rapid 
    Probably an upgrade on Ghandour and Clayden, but if we gamble on him not worth more than a one year deal IMO. Saw him for Tranmere against Morecombe, had some good moments with some Chucks style battering ram element.
  • Tranmere fans on Twitter suggest an attitude problem.
    plays well but when he’s off he’s off.
    More bad than good days it seems 
  • Valley11 said:
    Hard to get excited about a bloke not really doing it at Tranmere. If he’s a back up to DJ then, I guess. But this feels very much like wheeling and dealing at the arse end. Yes, we need to see the entire picture with our final business by the end of the window. Hopefully this guy will be in the ‘squad’ category, players to supplement a few marquee Kirk-like signings.  
    Hm.  Article says 5 goals and 6 assists.  For a winger I thought that was OK.
  • Sponsored links:

• We need another winger and personally I'd prefer one a bit more proven than Blackett-Taylor but with Washington probably the third choice winger this season, a 4th choice winger isn't a priority signing. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Hard to get excited about a bloke not really doing it at Tranmere. If he’s a back up to DJ then, I guess. But this feels very much like wheeling and dealing at the arse end. Yes, we need to see the entire picture with our final business by the end of the window. Hopefully this guy will be in the ‘squad’ category, players to supplement a few marquee Kirk-like signings.  

• cabbles said:
    AndyG said:
    Rothko said:
    shine166 said:
    Can everyone thats saying we are obviously refusing to pay wages, at least acknowledge that TS is spending his own money, while the Ipswich owner is spending the money of others ? 
    Exactly, very easy to spend Karen from Ohio 401k then your own money 
    I do find this whole pension investment thing at Ipswich very interesting. I like alot of people have a SIPP and through that own some commercial property. When one of them need some maintenance the pension administrator insists I get 3 quotes for anything I spend from my SIPP. This is slightly annoying as I own a building maintenance company lol, but that is the job of a pension administrator and why I pay them their fees. How on earth has the administrator of that American fund approved investment into a football club in the uk ?
    The pension fund has not made a direct investment in the club, it is has passed over it would seem about 0.03%, an insignificant part, of its £13bn of assets to a modest US portfolio manager ORG Portfolio Management as a small play on the market to diversify returns with a bit of risk and a higher potential return.  

It seems most of the investment will have been to acquire debt and property from Marcus Evans, so mostly fixed rate returns, and probably at tasty rates. That is the attraction for the pension fund.

The 90% equity gives ORG overall control to appoint management and give a windfall if Ipswich get promoted and justify the level of risk being taken.  It does not mean there is a gravy train of cash pouring out of the pension fund.  It is an arms length investment via ORG and if it goes bad it will just be one of the many small higher risk investments that statistically will go bad for the pension fund.

The pension fund will not be involved in the day to day running of the club, or writing cheques for Paul Cook, that is down to the management team.  ORG is 90% shareholder but only has one representative sitting on the board.  That is not the set up if you gave the club your magic porridge pot.

The management team calling the shots and spunking money on players are the 3 yanks who own "Three Lions Fund" which has a 5% investment and the CEO who is ex West Brom CEO.  If it goes bad these will be the fall guys who ORG will blame for losing money for their client pension fund.  ORG is not playing with its own money and it will not throw good money after bad on behalf of its client.

The idea that the pension fund is writing cheques for Paul Cook, or that he has access to an unlimited source of money is fanciful.  

Paul Cook has been given the keys to the sweet shop, but when he runs out of sweets and the club is still in League 1 he will be stuffed even if the ultimate owner does have £13bn of assets.

How does ORG/the pension fund make a return on its investment?  I know the club could make money if they reach the Premier League, but how does that equate to an ROI for the fund?  Is it going to be similar to the Glazers at Man Utd? 
    The bulk of the investment is debt and property. That gives continuous revenue. As long as the debt can be financed by the club and the property stays saleable it’s just like ORG being a mortgage lender.

The acquisition of 90% equity is the lottery ticket that cost £1. The number comes up on getting to Premiership.
  • Adkins has gone on record a few times saying he wants young, hungry, point-to-prove type players. Maybe that's what he sees in Blackett-Taylor looking beyond the base stats
  • Blackett-Taylor sounds like a player with the talent but not the attitude. That's pretty much what Adkins is for though, isn't it? A supportive manager who can bring the best out of him sounds like exactly what he needs. There are plenty who wish that Adkins had been around for Williams and Maddison, so getting in talent that needs his head sorting should be a good thing for us.
    Was Adkins the manager that couldn't manage Puncheon at Southampton.   I honestly can't remember. 
  • Valley11 said:

3 goals, 3 assists, 3 yellow cards, 2 red cards.
  • Valley11 said:

Depends where you look I suppose...
  • Couple of weeks until the window slams shut and I’m hopeful we’ll be impressed but can’t say I’m confident.
    I'm of a similar mindset. I'm staying positive as much as possible as long as possible as until the window is shut it's impossible to judge fairly, but to say I have high hopes or great expectations would be completely inaccurate.

I'm sure there's reasons enough why things don't seem to have gone to plan but that doesn't mean rewriting history to claim this was the plan all along either.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!