Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Guy is now in a lose lose situation.

He bigged himself up and said we'd blow away the league, and expectations sky rocketed.

Now he's talking it down and talking about slowly building up and not spending too much and trying to temper expectations, but it's too late.

So now we stick to the build slowly and people are disappointed if we finish 8th, or he spends big and people say it's panic buying and he is just proving that we should have done it that way to start with. 

Either way, he loses creditability
  • sam3110 said:
    Guy is now in a lose lose situation.

He bigged himself up and said we'd blow away the league, and expectations sky rocketed.

Now he's talking it down and talking about slowly building up and not spending too much and trying to temper expectations, but it's too late.

So now we stick to the build slowly and people are disappointed if we finish 8th, or he spends big and people say it's panic buying and he is just proving that we should have done it that way to start with. 

Either way, he loses creditability
    Agree and problem is with the current squad we aren’t finishing 8th. Just my opinion but I think it would be a way below that which has the potential to be disastrous 
  • "We pretty much have the makings of a starting first-team now and a decent depth."

A comment that certainly won't fill any of us with much hope for the season ahead. We're woefully short. We have 1 left back who's injured, no creative midfielder, no backup for Stockley, no backup for DJ, our 4th choice centre back is 17.

I certainly can't believe Adkins shares his opinion.

his depth does not equate to mine. His depth is using U23's & using a right back at left back. Oh well, his money I suppose. Just hope he doesn't mind if I don't share his or NA's optimism. 
  • Everyone knows anything more than a handful is a waste.
  • PWADDICK said:
    Defender on loan from Prem sounds fairly close.
    Club?
    9 iron 
  • Think people look far too much into what the man says. With all due respect to TS, he doesn’t really know a huge amount the game. Plus I wouldn’t expect the owner to say we are miles off and stick a boot into his own playing staff. I’m sure Adkins, Gallen and Roddy know we aren’t there yet in terms of starting 11 and squad depth. I’m more interested in their comments as an indication of where we are, and they’ve indicated they will bring more in whilst not giving away too much. Still a couple of weeks to do some business.
    Having defended Thomas numerous times across the forum, I tend to opt on the side of optimism for him and his comments. I still haven't yet even come close to criticising his conduct as a whole, but these press releases are starting to add fuel to the fire, even for me.
    At the end of the day it's Thomas writing the cheques so for better or worse, his comments are relevant even if Roddy/Gallen/Adkins are closer to the action. The issue for me is whether these three know it or not, Thomas is publically stating we're basically there with a starting 11. This starting 11 with the way Adkins currently has them playing will not hit top six.
    Thomas also comes out and says we need to create 'even more chances'. Which chances are we creating exactly? We've played 3 competitive games and have 0 goals from open play. You could argue Wednesday are a hard team to break down but to get nothing against AFCW or Oxford? You don't need to make these kinds of comments when you're playing horrible football - what good would come of it?
    Even giving a signed shirt to a TV fan after nearly a couple thousand made the trip up there in-person, these press releases are completely tone deaf. As I said, I'm a huge, huge Sandgaard guy but I think he needs some advice when speaking to the press. Speaking from the heart is an admirable trait but it's really landing like a lead balloon at the moment. Just get a couple wins under our belt and people won't care but this is really the wrong time to be saying these things.
  • Sponsored links:

• What we know is that at this point we are nowhere near good enough to win promotion. We also know that this “handful” of players need to be good enough to change that. These next few signings will define our season. 
  • On Henderson I wonder if it being made public means it’s pretty much done?

When did we last have two senior keepers? Must have been even rarer in the third tier.
  • Chunes said:
    I mean... I just prefer to take people at their word. If the owner comes out and says we're probably just making loan signings, then isn't that likely the truth? I don't buy into these 'hidden agendas' it just seems like people hearing what they want to hear. 

People were saying similar when Bowyer  didn't want another CB, saying he was actually just trying to get the prices down, managing expectations, etc.. No, turns out he just didn't want another CB.
    But this isn’t coming from the manager. It’s he who should be happy/unhappy with his starting 11 and squad depth.
  • Chunes said:
    I mean... I just prefer to take people at their word. If the owner comes out and says we're probably just making loan signings, then isn't that likely the truth? I don't buy into these 'hidden agendas' it just seems like people hearing what they want to hear. 

People were saying similar when Bowyer  didn't want another CB. They said oh he's just  just trying to get the prices down, managing expectations, etc.. No, turns out he just didn't want another CB.
    Bowyer pretty much made his mind up he was offski and pretty much didn't give a shit by that time though in my opinion. 
  • I've been told we're going to sign Tobi Omole from Spurs on loan, 21 year old left footed cb originally from Lewisham, 6ft2 so i would guess cover for Akin as to not rely on Deji to play in the league at least

Source is from Spurs end, also didn't confirm when other than before the window shuts

The first mention of Tobi Omole I believe? 
  • Chunes said:

People were saying similar when Bowyer said we didn't want another CB, saying he was actually just trying to get the prices down. No, turns out he just didn't want another CB! 
    It’s more about managing expectations of fans, players, agents etc than a hidden agenda.

We’ve always known we’d make loan signings towards the end of the window, that hasn’t changed.

Bowyer was probably more honest than most. Managers are careful how they word their comments all the time - do you really believe Adkins is happy to have 3 full backs for a full season with Gunter covering Purrington?
  • Sponsored links:

• Blimey what do people expect?  TS to come out and say we need signings for the starting XI?  Cos that’ll do the lads confidence the worlds of good won’t it.
    This 100%
  • "We pretty much have the makings of a starting first-team now and a decent depth."

A comment that certainly won't fill any of us with much hope for the season ahead. We're woefully short. We have 1 left back who's injured, no creative midfielder, no backup for Stockley, no backup for DJ, our 4th choice centre back is 17.

I certainly can't believe Adkins shares his opinion.

his depth does not equate to mine. His depth is using U23's & using a right back at left back. Oh well, his money I suppose. Just hope he doesn't mind if I don't share his or NA's optimism. 
    I can assure you he won't give a flying fuck whether you mind or not.
  • edited August 2021
    Scoham said:
    On Henderson I wonder if it being made public means it’s pretty much done?

When did we last have two senior keepers? Must have been even rarer in the third tier.
    I guess in the Third tier it would be when Sullivan was back up to Hamer in 11/12  . In the Second tier it would be Amos and Phillips two years ago . I think after promotion Dillon qualified as Senior .

Otherwise we have had a loanee and a back up .
  • Chunes said:
    I mean... I just prefer to take people at their word. If the owner comes out and says we're probably just making loan signings, then isn't that likely the truth? It's certainly more likely than anything else. I don't buy into these 'hidden agendas' it just seems like people hearing what they want to hear. 

People were saying similar when Bowyer didn't want another CB. They said oh he's just trying to get the prices down, managing expectations, etc.. No, turns out he just didn't want another CB.
    This.

I don't really mind or care what TS says, as long as he means it. No point making brash statements regarding Premier League ambitions or blowing through League 1 if you're not going to follow through. Means you can trust what he says and now (especially if I was an employee) I would take everything he says with a pinch of salt.
  • Chunes said:
    I mean... I just prefer to take people at their word. If the owner comes out and says we're probably just making loan signings, then isn't that likely the truth? It's certainly more likely than anything else. I don't buy into these 'hidden agendas' it just seems like people hearing what they want to hear. 

People were saying similar when Bowyer didn't want another CB. They said oh he's just trying to get the prices down, managing expectations, etc.. No, turns out he just didn't want another CB.
    This.

I don't really mind or care what TS says, as long as he means it. No point making brash statements regarding Premier League ambitions or blowing through League 1 if you're not going to follow through. Means you can trust what he says and now (especially if I was an employee) I would take everything he says with a pinch of salt.
    You are the one making brash statements mate ! we are 2 games into a long season how do you know we wont blow the league away by the end of the season ? you are welcome to your opinion but that doesnt make it a fact does it ?
  • edited August 2021
    Blimey what do people expect?  TS to come out and say we need signings for the starting XI?  Cos that’ll do the lads confidence the worlds of good won’t it.

Disagree about your players comment.
    Players I have spoken to over the years and even recently in Part time football where my son is working, always want better signings for the starting 11.

BUT NOT IN THEIR POSITION !
  • UEAAddick said:
    Vfrf said:
    Think people look far too much into what the man says. With all due respect to TS, he doesn’t really know a huge amount the game. Plus I wouldn’t expect the owner to say we are miles off and stick a boot into his own playing staff. I’m sure Adkins, Gallen and Roddy know we aren’t there yet in terms of starting 11 and squad depth. I’m more interested in their comments as an indication of where we are, and they’ve indicated they will bring more in whilst not giving away too much. Still a couple of weeks to do some business.
    Having defended Thomas numerous times across the forum, I tend to opt on the side of optimism for him and his comments. I still haven't yet even come close to criticising his conduct as a whole, but these press releases are starting to add fuel to the fire, even for me.
    At the end of the day it's Thomas writing the cheques so for better or worse, his comments are relevant even if Roddy/Gallen/Adkins are closer to the action. The issue for me is whether these three know it or not, Thomas is publically stating we're basically there with a starting 11. This starting 11 with the way Adkins currently has them playing will not hit top six.
    Thomas also comes out and says we need to create 'even more chances'. Which chances are we creating exactly? We've played 3 competitive games and have 0 goals from open play. You could argue Wednesday are a hard team to break down but to get nothing against AFCW or Oxford? You don't need to make these kinds of comments when you're playing horrible football - what good would come of it?
    Even giving a signed shirt to a TV fan after nearly a couple thousand made the trip up there in-person, these press releases are completely tone deaf. As I said, I'm a huge, huge Sandgaard guy but I think he needs some advice when speaking to the press. Speaking from the heart is an admirable trait but it's really landing like a lead balloon at the moment. Just get a couple wins under our belt and people won't care but this is really the wrong time to be saying these things.
    Good Points. I always thought him being on twitter was a bade idea, although if he came off now all sorts of theories will be thrown out about why he has, so he can't win.

I also don't think that the past owners and lockdowns have helped in how things are seen. Owners for obvious reasons of false promises, insults and just doing a crap job.

Lockdowns because especially nearer the beginning, we were are all doing less so most people were spending more and more time on social media than before over analysing everything and getting in rows cos we haven't for the last year and a half been doing much or allowed to. Speaking to mates about this I think if we were not in lockdowns we would have had other things to distract from social media, (which isn't on the whole a reflection of life) such as going to games as this applies to all things, not just football 

I do think TS may have possibly underestimated some of the ins and outs of running a football club. Especially about what and not to say, but I hope and it seems he may be learning on that one. When it will become a problem is if he doesn't learn from them.
    Completely agree with you mate, I'd never stop advocating for TS I think he's the perfect owner for us. I'm also personally largely happy with the recruitment so far I think we are just missing a few key cogs, such as a creative 10 and a natural LB. It's just concerning to hear your owner sound as though you're creating loads and narrowly missing out having watched the absolutely regressive performances we've seen recently.
    I think the point I was trying to get across (badly), is he doesn't need to say those kinds of things - we're not playing well and not creating chances so saying we are when discussing transfers is just going to irritate people who put lots of time and money into following the team.
  • Blimey what do people expect?  TS to come out and say we need signings for the starting XI?  Cos that’ll do the lads confidence the worlds of good won’t it.
    as far as I'm concerned there is never a starting XI. There is a squad from which you pick your starting XI depending on formation, form and injuries ETC. Our squad needs an injection of quality.
  • AndyG said:
    Chunes said:

This.

You are the one making brash statements mate ! we are 2 games into a long season how do you know we wont blow the league away by the end of the season ? you are welcome to your opinion but that doesnt make it a fact does it ?
    ‘If you sling enough shit at a wall, eventually some of it will stick’ - The way of Golfie.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!