Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Vfrf said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    There are 4 possible explanations for the current state of affairs.

1) We have been picky and only signed players we really want, not anything that moves, and held our nerve.  This may or may not stay the same as the deadline looms closer.

2) We can't/won't pay what we need to to get the players we need in and can't/won't budge.

3) It's deliberate and the "plan" is to add 2 or 3 quality players each window and build over a number of seasons.

4) No one can be arsed and they just haven't bothered or they were too busy in the recording studio, on holiday, or enjoying the hospitality at QPR.

I think in all honesty we can rule out 4.  I suspect its 1 with maybe a tint of 2.  If its 3 someone is going to get a short sharp shock when the bills start piling up. 
    I think it's a 3 but only because we've had such a huge rebuild. By time the window shuts we will have 10-12 players that are actually ours, we want them and are multi-year deals. From next summer onwards I'd expect the bulk of the team to remain the same but maybe £1-2mil + transfer revenue invested on actual talent. Getting players like Jorge Grant early in a January window for example before he's on a big stage.
    We already have 8 (eight) of the current first team squad out of contract at the end of the season.  If we use all 5 loans it's back to over half the squad, again.  It would make perfect sense of we could get anywhere near break even but we can't. 
  • edited August 2021
    5)  involve the youth. It's cheap  & you may uncover a gem. If not you always have next year to start again. 
  • VFR4life said:
    opinion from my souurce is that its a matter of him being tight as we should't be struggling as our club is massive yet for some reason were struggling to attract players
    Cafc43v3r said:

1) We have been picky and only signed players we really want, not anything that moves, and held our nerve.  This may or may not stay the same as the deadline looms closer.

2) We can't/won't pay what we need to to get the players we need in and can't/won't budge.

3) It's deliberate and the "plan" is to add 2 or 3 quality players each window and build over a number of seasons.

4) No one can be arsed and they just haven't bothered or they were too busy in the recording studio, on holiday, or enjoying the hospitality at QPR.

I think in all honesty we can rule out 4.  I suspect its 1 with maybe a tint of 2.  If its 3 someone is going to get a short sharp shock when the bills start piling up. 
    sounds like number 2 re won't pay/won't budge on players could be the reason....which impacts on number 1
  • edited August 2021

This is the kind of thing the recruitment team and TS are up against. 

Expectations have been set so high, no matter what good business we do, it will be seen as “being done on the cheap” by a vocal section of the fan base. 

Not digging out this specific poster but it does show how some fans are living in a completely different reality. 

Charles & Dale are highly sought after and if they came to SE7, I would be a very happy bunny.

• It's really simple...........a £2.9m spend does not (or anyway close) guarantee a promotion and £6m revenue increase.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

As you say, I think it's a mixture of 1 & 2

How does this strategy jive with TS saying the PL in 5 years? 47 months left. We are guessing why we have not signed people and yet we know what he claimed he planned in terms of promotion. How does one square our actions with the plan of promotion to the PL by 2025-26?

Napa, waiting for an answer.

• It's really simple...........a £2.9m spend does not (or anyway close) guarantee a promotion and £6m revenue increase.
    It is a stunning plan isn’t it. Wonder what happens 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:

As you say, I think it's a mixture of 1 & 2

How does this strategy jive with TS saying the PL in 5 years? 47 months left. We are guessing why we have not signed people and yet we know what he claimed he planned in terms of promotion. How does one square our actions with the plan of promotion to the PL by 2025-26?
    Or maybe the plan changed, or had to be rethought. TS probably did at one point want to get to the PL in five years but I'd be very surprised if he still thinks that's a feasible plan.

• This is the kind of thing the recruitment team and TS are up against. 

Expectations have been set so high, no matter what good business we do, it will be seen as “being done on the cheap” by a vocal section of the fan base. 

Not digging out this specific poster but it does show how some fans are living in a completely different reality. 
    Christ it really is that simple for some people. I assume he has taken in to account all of the injuries we will pick up…. Nice of him to draw up a list of players that have been available to us all since the end of last season - yet closed not to peruse (I assume). We might as well relieve Gallen of his duties.
  • edited August 2021
    Scoham said:

This is the kind of thing the recruitment team and TS are up against. 

If only it was that easy and that cheap.

The loan would be free? What about wages and signing on fees? Agent fees?

Are those players available at those prices?

If they are, are they worth those prices?

Do they all fit in with the way we want to play and in the dressing room?

etc
    Don’t worry about it, I’m sure the opposition will just roll over and let us win 3-0 each week. It’s that easy.  Don’t worry, none of those players want signing on fees or wages - I’ve called all of them and they want to play for free.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    He posts on here so you may wish to be careful what you say.
    Like I said, I’m not digging out the OP. I don’t follow said poster on Twitter so I have no idea who he is. 

He’s only articulating what a lot of other fans have been thinking. My contention is that it’s treating football as fantasy football and the owners money as monopoly cash to play with. 

It doesn’t account for the actual value of transfers/wages or how difficult it is to get a deal over the line. It assumes loans are free, players won’t get injured and a guaranteed return on investment. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

There’s a fifth:
    5) Things aren’t *quite* as bad as some think they are, after just two games this season;
    Possibly some decent players in the pipeline, loan or otherwise. Gilbey to return. Kirk about to join the party. Clare and Dobson still bedding in. Morgan may be about to find that killer pass, or maybe even launch one into the top corner, which would be a boost to his fragile self confidence. Hope so anyway. 
    5 is 1 isn't it?  Unless you believe we won't bring anyone else in at all, then it becomes 3 or 4? 
  • What about Aston Villa’s number 37 Mungo Bridge ? He’d be a great CB cover on loan for the season 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!