Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Rothko said:
    shine166 said:
    Can everyone thats saying we are obviously refusing to pay wages, at least acknowledge that TS is spending his own money, while the Ipswich owner is spending the money of others ? 
    Exactly, very easy to spend Karen from Ohio 401k then your own money 
    I do find this whole pension investment thing at Ipswich very interesting. I like alot of people have a SIPP and through that own some commercial property. When one of them need some maintenance the pension administrator insists I get 3 quotes for anything I spend from my SIPP. This is slightly annoying as I own a building maintenance company lol, but that is the job of a pension administrator and why I pay them their fees. How on earth has the administrator of that American fund approved investment into a football club in the uk ?
  • Croydon said:
    shine166 said:
    Can everyone thats saying we are obviously refusing to pay wages, at least acknowledge that TS is spending his own money, while the Ipswich owner is spending the money of others ? 
    Still cannot get my head around how a pension fund is spending so much on a league one side.
    Think they'll sell when they think they can see a profit 
  • edited August 2021
    Swisdom said:
    Signing a new team is very easy when you just get to make up how much you think a player would cost. Personally I think we should get Messi £0.5m, Pogba £1.1m and van Dijk £0.4m. I haven't actually enquired about the players myself, but I've decided that's how much they'll cost so that's what it is. Get your finger out Sandgaard, these are a bargain
    Ipswich have signed nearly 2 teams thus far so it can be done.
    And yet they have the same number of points as we do at this stage
    It’s whether their approach or ours will deliver the most points by the end of the season that counts. Not after two games.

Let’s see who’s approach to the transfer market works best - or if both teams stay stuck in league one for another year.
  • edited August 2021
    Signing a new team is very easy when you just get to make up how much you think a player would cost. Personally I think we should get Messi £0.5m, Pogba £1.1m and van Dijk £0.4m. I haven't actually enquired about the players myself, but I've decided that's how much they'll cost so that's what it is. Get your finger out Sandgaard, these are a bargain
    Ipswich have signed nearly 2 teams thus far so it can be done.

...just need someone else's money 
  • Croydon said:
    shine166 said:
    Still cannot get my head around how a pension fund is spending so much on a league one side.
    It's not.
    Ignore  
  • shine166 said:
    It all makes sense now, Ipswich and Wigan have spent our budget as well!!
  • Rothko said:
    Croydon said:
    shine166 said:
    Think they'll sell when they think they can see a profit 
    How does that work though, they have already spent about 60 million, including purchase price and this seasons loses. 
  • Sponsored links:

• What about Aston Villa’s number 37 Mungo Bridge ? He’d be a great CB cover on loan for the season 
    Maybe he'd calm the troubled waters?
  • Another day of top secret negotiations and machinations, pushing the boat out and setting the team up for a promotion push with a totally strengthened first team and backup squad of solid players.

On the Wigan, Sunderland, Portsmouth and Ipswich sites...
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    There are 4 possible explanations for the current state of affairs.

1) We have been picky and only signed players we really want, not anything that moves, and held our nerve.  This may or may not stay the same as the deadline looms closer.

2) We can't/won't pay what we need to to get the players we need in and can't/won't budge.

3) It's deliberate and the "plan" is to add 2 or 3 quality players each window and build over a number of seasons.

4) No one can be arsed and they just haven't bothered or they were too busy in the recording studio, on holiday, or enjoying the hospitality at QPR.

I think in all honesty we can rule out 4.  I suspect its 1 with maybe a tint of 2.  If its 3 someone is going to get a short sharp shock when the bills start piling up. 

There’s a fifth:
    5) Things aren’t *quite* as bad as some think they are, after just two games this season;
    Possibly some decent players in the pipeline, loan or otherwise. Gilbey to return. Kirk about to join the party. Clare and Dobson still bedding in. Morgan may be about to find that killer pass, or maybe even launch one into the top corner, which would be a boost to his fragile self confidence. Hope so anyway. 
    5 is 1 isn't it?  Unless you believe we won't bring anyone else in at all, then it becomes 3 or 4? 
    It’s sort of 1+ I guess. 
  • What about Aston Villa’s number 37 Mungo Bridge ? He’d be a great CB cover on loan for the season 
    In the summertime is the right time to sign Mungo (Jerry) Bridge.  ;)
    Summers gone.
    He'll probably end up being one too far.
  • If we sign him and he gets injured, will the picture caption read (south) London Bridge Is Falling Down?
  • Oh and bollocks, that one's been done, albeit with less elan
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    shine166 said:
    You do know that it's not just your average SIPP. The Pension fund probably has billions under management & so a few million to buy Ipswich & then a few more on player purchases & wages is probably a very small % of the overall assets. Local Government schemes move millions every day around the money markets just to get an extra 0.1% of interest. No difference here I would expect. 
  • Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Big big week ahead
    Big big 2 and a half weeks ahead
    Next 2 and half weeks are crucial.

I'd say that the next 9 months are crucial, for Thomas dreams and ambitions to be on track or derailed! 

This league is so competitive, but the depth of squads is so thin in quality for so many clubs, as soon as a few form players gets injured or dip, they drop like a stone. 

More likely to win the lottery than to predict the final top six at this stage. 

9 months? On here it's more likely to be 9 weeks.

• This is the kind of thing the recruitment team and TS are up against. 

Expectations have been set so high, no matter what good business we do, it will be seen as “being done on the cheap” by a vocal section of the fan base. 

Not digging out this specific poster but it does show how some fans are living in a completely different reality. 
    Tucker for £0.5m LOL
  • AndyG said:
    Rothko said:
    shine166 said:
    I do find this whole pension investment thing at Ipswich very interesting. I like alot of people have a SIPP and through that own some commercial property. When one of them need some maintenance the pension administrator insists I get 3 quotes for anything I spend from my SIPP. This is slightly annoying as I own a building maintenance company lol, but that is the job of a pension administrator and why I pay them their fees. How on earth has the administrator of that American fund approved investment into a football club in the uk ?
    The pension fund has not made a direct investment in the club, it is has passed over it would seem about 0.03%, an insignificant part, of its £13bn of assets to a modest US portfolio manager ORG Portfolio Management as a small play on the market to diversify returns with a bit of risk and a higher potential return.  

It seems most of the investment will have been to acquire debt and property from Marcus Evans, so mostly fixed rate returns, and probably at tasty rates. That is the attraction for the pension fund.

The 90% equity gives ORG overall control to appoint management and give a windfall if Ipswich get promoted and justify the level of risk being taken.  It does not mean there is a gravy train of cash pouring out of the pension fund.  It is an arms length investment via ORG and if it goes bad it will just be one of the many small higher risk investments that statistically will go bad for the pension fund.

The pension fund will not be involved in the day to day running of the club, or writing cheques for Paul Cook, that is down to the management team.  ORG is 90% shareholder but only has one representative sitting on the board.  That is not the set up if you gave the club your magic porridge pot.

The management team calling the shots and spunking money on players are the 3 yanks who own "Three Lions Fund" which has a 5% investment and the CEO who is ex West Brom CEO.  If it goes bad these will be the fall guys who ORG will blame for losing money for their client pension fund.  ORG is not playing with its own money and it will not throw good money after bad on behalf of its client.

The idea that the pension fund is writing cheques for Paul Cook, or that he has access to an unlimited source of money is fanciful.  

Paul Cook has been given the keys to the sweet shop, but when he runs out of sweets and the club is still in League 1 he will be stuffed even if the ultimate owner does have £13bn of assets.

You had me at "spunking"
    Mungo just a pawn in game of life.
  • AndyG said:
    Rothko said:
    shine166 said:
    The pension fund has not made a direct investment in the club, it is has passed over it would seem about 0.03%, an insignificant part, of its £13bn of assets to a modest US portfolio manager ORG Portfolio Management as a small play on the market to diversify returns with a bit of risk and a higher potential return.  

It seems most of the investment will have been to acquire debt and property from Marcus Evans, so mostly fixed rate returns, and probably at tasty rates. That is the attraction for the pension fund.

The 90% equity gives ORG overall control to appoint management and give a windfall if Ipswich get promoted and justify the level of risk being taken.  It does not mean there is a gravy train of cash pouring out of the pension fund.  It is an arms length investment via ORG and if it goes bad it will just be one of the many small higher risk investments that statistically will go bad for the pension fund.

The pension fund will not be involved in the day to day running of the club, or writing cheques for Paul Cook, that is down to the management team.  ORG is 90% shareholder but only has one representative sitting on the board.  That is not the set up if you gave the club your magic porridge pot.

The management team calling the shots and spunking money on players are the 3 yanks who own "Three Lions Fund" which has a 5% investment and the CEO who is ex West Brom CEO.  If it goes bad these will be the fall guys who ORG will blame for losing money for their client pension fund.  ORG is not playing with its own money and it will not throw good money after bad on behalf of its client.

The idea that the pension fund is writing cheques for Paul Cook, or that he has access to an unlimited source of money is fanciful.  

Paul Cook has been given the keys to the sweet shop, but when he runs out of sweets and the club is still in League 1 he will be stuffed even if the ultimate owner does have £13bn of assets.

How does ORG/the pension fund make a return on its investment?  I know the club could make money if they reach the Premier League, but how does that equate to an ROI for the fund?  Is it going to be similar to the Glazers at Man Utd? 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!