Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• I think where the whole transfer window has gone wrong it was more difficult than first thought clubs holding on to there best players despite needing the money to pay back government  loans ie TUCKER and also the pope transfer money that did not arise.
  • Addicks59 said:
    I think where the whole transfer window has gone wrong it was more difficult than first thought clubs holding on to there best players despite needing the money to pay back government  loans ie TUCKER and also the pope transfer money that did not arise.
    Shouldn't be relying on an ex-player moving to help rebuild our squad. 
  • arny23394 said:
    Sage said:
    Jack Tucker was approached but Gills asked for too much. We went in early doors but haven't been back since. Tucker is keen to join us. 
    Maybe this is one we aim to revisit near the end of the window hoping that they become realistic and we get the player for a lower fee.

Not a clue if we went in for Tucker, but most certainly the type of player we should be looking at.

As another option, he’d allow us to play 3 at the back if we signed an attacking left back too. That would mean we could be creative with who the midfield pairing is and have DJ and Kirk either side of Stockley. 
    I think 3-5-2 (or a hybrid of it) is where we should head and Gunter will be more than capable as the right sided CH in this system. Key is getting a decent LWB.
    Gunter was shit at CB last season. 
    He was very good at Pompey away.  I thought he was worse at right back - always out of position defensively 
  • arny23394 said:
    Sage said:
    Jack Tucker was approached but Gills asked for too much. We went in early doors but haven't been back since. Tucker is keen to join us. 
    Maybe this is one we aim to revisit near the end of the window hoping that they become realistic and we get the player for a lower fee.

Not a clue if we went in for Tucker, but most certainly the type of player we should be looking at.

As another option, he’d allow us to play 3 at the back if we signed an attacking left back too. That would mean we could be creative with who the midfield pairing is and have DJ and Kirk either side of Stockley. 
    I think 3-5-2 (or a hybrid of it) is where we should head and Gunter will be more than capable as the right sided CH in this system. Key is getting a decent LWB.
    a) that was as part of a two man central defence
    b) he was alongside Pratley
    c) I’d argue the he wasn’t ‘shit’ but did make some mistakes in this makeshift pairing. Would be much more confident of him on the right side with Innis central and Famewo left.

Yes, still need another RCB to come in but, until that time, would be comfortable with Gunter there.
  • Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    MrBurns said:

This is the kind of thing the recruitment team and TS are up against. 

Expectations have been set so high, no matter what good business we do, it will be seen as “being done on the cheap” by a vocal section of the fan base. 

Not digging out this specific poster but it does show how some fans are living in a completely different reality. 
    Tucker for £0.5m LOL
    So to be open this was my post on Twitter.

My intention was simply to create some debate over who you’d like us to sign if we did spend bit mainly about the balance between do you spend the money and push for promotion and the extra £6m it delivers or do you do it on a budget and continue to lose £5-10m each season of you don’t go up?

Effectively what’s more cost effective / the best way. Not a serious demand of TS - and anyone who thinks it was needs to remove the stick from up their arse!

If you read the full thread you can clearly see I say I don’t expect this to happen at all. It’s just some fun, musings, ideas.

But it also Shows one of the biggest problems - our fanbase is divided right now between ‘The realists’ or the ‘Cult of Sandgaard’ or whatever you want to call it. I try sit in the middle-ish But it’s pretty nasty on the socials.

If anyone posts anything on socials it just becomes a mud slinging match, point scoring with people trying to mug people off and a battle between the two sides. Our fan base isn’t a nice place right now, largely instigated by TS’s ridiculous claims. As evidenced on here by the comments to my post and it’s why I rarely post anymore after trying to get involved with this ‘community’

The names selected were simply players I rate I have no ideas on the fees, I’m just a fan. But for your information I was told by some people who have a direct line in that yeah we did hold discussions with Tucker (no fee agreed) and we did discuss a deal when Charles (he was interested but wants a Champ move, if not would consider us) so is it really so ridiculous or living in another reality?

… and yeah I really do love FM have played it successfully for 30 years particularly on my business travels 👍🏼

So chill the F out people it was just a bit of fun. It’s only football!
    Divided fan base which you’ve added fuel to the fire with needless comments on TS
    So we can’t challenge anything TS says or does… we just blindly agree because it’s TS?

But well done ignore everything I wrote just to summarise in that way. Your a great example of what I described 👍🏼
    Telling the guy how to spend his money and act as chief scout on Twitter. Not long before schools go back and social media won’t be full of this rubbish 👏🏻 
    Where was I being TS’s chief scout and telling him how to spend his money 🤣🤣🤣

I said it was a bit of fun and bit of fantasy football and what it.

You really need to calm down, breathe and try to debate rather than just chucking out insults & snidey comments
    I just find it very weird that fully grown men go onto Twitter and list signings we should make and how much we should pay, having a pop at the owner for not following your suggestions along the way. 
  • arny23394 said:
    Sage said:

a) that was as part of a two man central defence
    b) he was alongside Pratley
    c) I’d argue the he wasn’t ‘shit’ but did make some mistakes in this makeshift pairing. Would be much more confident of him on the right side with Innis central and Famewo left.

Yes, still need another RCB to come in but, until that time, would be comfortable with Gunter there.
    He played in a 3 as well, and was poor, but agree we could probably get away with it if he played with Famewo & Inniss. All irrelevant anyway as we won’t be going 3 at the back this season.
  • edited August 2021
    I wasn't expecting loads of money to be thrown at it, but was hoping we could start this season with a similar strength squad to that which ended last. Which was clearly good enough. I am now hoping we strengthen to that point before the window closes in a couple of weeks.

I feel we have made a couple of very decent signings and a poor one but we lost a million pound plus player in Millar and Aneke who despite not playing that much last season, was incredibly important to us. Kirk may be a good replacement for Millar but look at our bench currently.
  • With a number of players needed in now under 2 weeks, I was hoping for some credible rumours after Saturday and more than one ... 
  • Maccn05 said:
    MrBurns said:

Expectations have been set so high, no matter what good business we do, it will be seen as “being done on the cheap” by a vocal section of the fan base. 

Not digging out this specific poster but it does show how some fans are living in a completely different reality. 
    Tucker for £0.5m LOL

My intention was simply to create some debate over who you’d like us to sign if we did spend bit mainly about the balance between do you spend the money and push for promotion and the extra £6m it delivers or do you do it on a budget and continue to lose £5-10m each season of you don’t go up?

Effectively what’s more cost effective / the best way. Not a serious demand of TS - and anyone who thinks it was needs to remove the stick from up their arse!

If you read the full thread you can clearly see I say I don’t expect this to happen at all. It’s just some fun, musings, ideas.

But it also Shows one of the biggest problems - our fanbase is divided right now between ‘The realists’ or the ‘Cult of Sandgaard’ or whatever you want to call it. I try sit in the middle-ish But it’s pretty nasty on the socials.

If anyone posts anything on socials it just becomes a mud slinging match, point scoring with people trying to mug people off and a battle between the two sides. Our fan base isn’t a nice place right now, largely instigated by TS’s ridiculous claims. As evidenced on here by the comments to my post and it’s why I rarely post anymore after trying to get involved with this ‘community’

The names selected were simply players I rate I have no ideas on the fees, I’m just a fan. But for your information I was told by some people who have a direct line in that yeah we did hold discussions with Tucker (no fee agreed) and we did discuss a deal when Charles (he was interested but wants a Champ move, if not would consider us) so is it really so ridiculous or living in another reality?

… and yeah I really do love FM have played it successfully for 30 years particularly on my business travels 👍🏼

The thing is though, you can't just completely make up some of the numbers when you're discussing what's cost effective based on numbers. You've said promotion is a £6m income increase and staying in L1 will cost us £9m, and you've couched that against low transfer fees to make your point. The transfer fees are made up based on nothing though. What if Tucker would cost £2m, Charles £2m, Lowery £1m, Dale £1.7m and a £500,000 fee for a loan at LB? That's now £7.2m, which is more than the apparent income increase and an even greater financial risk to hold if we don't go up. How much is the wage budget increase off those players? What if the fees are actually more? You're trying to do a risk/reward model but without knowing what the actual risks are, so it's just a bit daft really. I don't know what kind of reaction you got on Twitter, knowing that place probably a horrible one, but I have to tell you yes, it really is so ridiculous to post something about how simple it would be to progress when you have no concept of what it would cost. Everyone's life would be much easier in every aspect if they could just pick how much they wanted things to cost.
  • Sponsored links:

• Obviously getting these deals done is not really simple, however , I think this is a perfectly reasonable tweet and thought process. The top 4 players are all playing in League 1 and will all be on lower wages than we should be able to afford bearing in mind 3 of them play in front of crowds of 5k or less. The loan player will be a Prem loan. Maybe they want to go to the Championship but money there seems even tighter than our League and as we reach the end of the window , its reasonable to assume that prices will fall a bit from those quoted above.

None of us are privy to what Thomas's financial limitations are but I think the basic premise above is a fair one that with the players quoted, all of whom are likely to be available and on 'relatively' low wages we would be building a team for the next 3-4 years and we would have a much greater chance of promotion which brings a stronger financial model. 

• edited August 2021
    Maccn05 said:
    “ I try sit in the middle-ish”

“ largely instigated by TS’s ridiculous claims.”

Um. 

But isn’t that that middle???

I think lots of thing TS has done have been spot on and I think a few things he's don’t haven’t - like increasing expectations based on  outlandish declarations?
    The fan base was divided long before TS arrived and always will be, this isn’t unique to Charlton. 
    Agreed. Even if you just use CL as an example, ignoring social media, the mudslinging, extended arguments and dare I say abuse, between posters on a regular basis, actually all kicked off around the time of Nimer vs Southall. That was when a lot of people took sides and sadly the toxic nature of how a fair few posters use this site has grown since then. 

To say our fan base is divided and “largely instigated by TS’s ridiculous remarks” is incredible unfair, no matter what you think of the guy as a person or owner. 
  • edited August 2021
    cabbles said:
    AndyG said:
    Rothko said:
    shine166 said:
    Can everyone thats saying we are obviously refusing to pay wages, at least acknowledge that TS is spending his own money, while the Ipswich owner is spending the money of others ? 
    Exactly, very easy to spend Karen from Ohio 401k then your own money 
    I do find this whole pension investment thing at Ipswich very interesting. I like alot of people have a SIPP and through that own some commercial property. When one of them need some maintenance the pension administrator insists I get 3 quotes for anything I spend from my SIPP. This is slightly annoying as I own a building maintenance company lol, but that is the job of a pension administrator and why I pay them their fees. How on earth has the administrator of that American fund approved investment into a football club in the uk ?
    The pension fund has not made a direct investment in the club, it is has passed over it would seem about 0.03%, an insignificant part, of its £13bn of assets to a modest US portfolio manager ORG Portfolio Management as a small play on the market to diversify returns with a bit of risk and a higher potential return.  

It seems most of the investment will have been to acquire debt and property from Marcus Evans, so mostly fixed rate returns, and probably at tasty rates. That is the attraction for the pension fund.

The 90% equity gives ORG overall control to appoint management and give a windfall if Ipswich get promoted and justify the level of risk being taken.  It does not mean there is a gravy train of cash pouring out of the pension fund.  It is an arms length investment via ORG and if it goes bad it will just be one of the many small higher risk investments that statistically will go bad for the pension fund.

The pension fund will not be involved in the day to day running of the club, or writing cheques for Paul Cook, that is down to the management team.  ORG is 90% shareholder but only has one representative sitting on the board.  That is not the set up if you gave the club your magic porridge pot.

The management team calling the shots and spunking money on players are the 3 yanks who own "Three Lions Fund" which has a 5% investment and the CEO who is ex West Brom CEO.  If it goes bad these will be the fall guys who ORG will blame for losing money for their client pension fund.  ORG is not playing with its own money and it will not throw good money after bad on behalf of its client.

The idea that the pension fund is writing cheques for Paul Cook, or that he has access to an unlimited source of money is fanciful.  

Paul Cook has been given the keys to the sweet shop, but when he runs out of sweets and the club is still in League 1 he will be stuffed even if the ultimate owner does have £13bn of assets.

How does ORG/the pension fund make a return on its investment?  I know the club could make money if they reach the Premier League, but how does that equate to an ROI for the fund?  Is it going to be similar to the Glazers at Man Utd? 
    That’s exactly it, as Dippenhall, it one high risk investment for the pension fund. Many funds have a high risk component. The story alway was that if 1 in 5 worked you made a profit even after writing off the other 4. It’s a bundle of cash for Ipswich, and a very small financial hit for the fund if it doesn’t work. But it not a cash stream. If they don’t succeed this year, or maybe next, the money will dry up quickly. 
    I think with their recruitment this window and with Paul Cook at the helm, Ipswich will more than likely get promoted this season, or at least let’s say have an outstanding chance. Part one of the strategy ✔️. Getting out of league one this way is one thing. Getting out of The Championship using the same strategy is quite another. Quite a few of this seasons buys and many of those remaining from before won’t cut it in The Championship. They’ll have to spend big again next season at a much greater cost with much less guaranteed success. It’s possible but if Ipswich are not in The Premier League in 24/25 then how long will the money tap be open. If and when it does close what then. Very high risk strategy.
  • Wigan and Ipswich have done their business early which is what we did when we’re promoted easily 10 years ago.Whilst none of us know what the budget is or who we should sign,we do know what is needed,another striker,a left back and an attacking midfielder,not to mention an experienced back up keeper.Adkins and Gallen must know this as well but whilst we don’t have them we will continue to drop points which may prove costly later.Surely with most clubs broke there have been enough good players available, so are we not smart enough or not rich enough to compete?and are we going to just be an average league 1 club instead of what we all believe,a decent Championship one.This is a big season and so far I find it worrying 
  • Signing a new team is very easy when you just get to make up how much you think a player would cost. Personally I think we should get Messi £0.5m, Pogba £1.1m and van Dijk £0.4m. I haven't actually enquired about the players myself, but I've decided that's how much they'll cost so that's what it is. Get your finger out Sandgaard, these are a bargain
    Ipswich have signed nearly 2 teams thus far so it can be done.
    And they got rid of two teams as well there still 7 players short of players out to players in 
    Are you counting youth players in their released list?

They currently have a senior squad of 27, which is more than they're allowed to register so they certainly aren't 7 players short on last season.
  • @Scoham said:
    Where did Lewis Page play if Sparkes was Exeter’s left back?
    Just got around to catching up.

I am not saying Sparkes is a compete Left Back - the comments preceeding this were about an "attacking left wing back" and that's the role Sparkes fulfilled last season for Exeter.  According to his own manager he prefers to play more advanced.  Below is taken from a local news story

"Sparkes, who is still only 20, made a total of 50 appearances in all competitions last year, scoring four goals, although he was often used in a more unfamiliar left-back role. That will change next season as Taylor intends to play him further forward and give him every opportunity to fulfil his undoubted potential.

“For the benefit of Jack, we want to give him the freedom of playing higher up the pitch, but we could play with a back three as well next season and we know he can play as a wing-back,” Taylor said."

So it seems he can play in a few positions (LB / LW / RW) but being a left footer he could offer something to us anywhere on the left hand side. but could be the wing back we are looking for.

• Sponsored links:

• Wigan and Ipswich have done their business early which is what we did when we’re promoted easily 10 years ago.Whilst none of us know what the budget is or who we should sign,we do know what is needed,another striker,a left back and an attacking midfielder,not to mention an experienced back up keeper.Adkins and Gallen must know this as well but whilst we don’t have them we will continue to drop points which may prove costly later.Surely with most clubs broke there have been enough good players available, so are we not smart enough or not rich enough to compete?and are we going to just be an average league 1 club instead of what we all believe,a decent Championship one.This is a big season and so far I find it worrying 
     We are an average League 1 team .
    Being an average league one team is bad enough. Being an average league one club is my concern.
  • Swisdom said:
    @Scoham said:

Perhaps the club wasn't big enough for the both of them 
  • _MrDick said:
    Redhenry said:
    ridiculous comment
    To be honest, I think 99.9% of the comments on this thread are ridiculous 
    Ridiculous comment
    🤣🤣
  • Swisdom said:
    @Scoham said:
    Just got around to catching up.

I am not saying Sparkes is a compete Left Back - the comments preceeding this were about an "attacking left wing back" and that's the role Sparkes fulfilled last season for Exeter.  According to his own manager he prefers to play more advanced.  Below is taken from a local news story

"Sparkes, who is still only 20, made a total of 50 appearances in all competitions last year, scoring four goals, although he was often used in a more unfamiliar left-back role. That will change next season as Taylor intends to play him further forward and give him every opportunity to fulfil his undoubted potential.

“For the benefit of Jack, we want to give him the freedom of playing higher up the pitch, but we could play with a back three as well next season and we know he can play as a wing-back,” Taylor said."

So it seems he can play in a few positions (LB / LW / RW) but being a left footer he could offer something to us anywhere on the left hand side. but could be the wing back we are looking for.

Page is at Harrogate Town now.
    Being an average league one team is bad enough. Being an average league one club is my concern.
    In my lifetime we've spent 32/55 years in the second flight. Where we belong? I think its 12 top division and 11 including this one in the third.
  • edited August 2021
    TeeC said:
    Maccn05 said:
    MrBurns said:

Tucker for £0.5m LOL

People are snidey and horrible. There is way of replying to something you disagree with without being disrespectful- we should all try and do that. I understood your point and thought it was reasonable.
    You know, very often the written word doesn’t convey what you’re ‘exactly’ trying to say…..there is no tone of voice for starters. Of course, inflection is very very important part of speech as it really says by sound and facial expression what you mean.
    So quite often people (that’s all of us in fact), sometimes get it wrong when deciphering the written word.
    That’s why occasionally emojis can be quite useful.
    I do it myself………for better or worse! 
  • cabbles said:
    AndyG said:
    Rothko said:
    shine166 said:
    Can everyone thats saying we are obviously refusing to pay wages, at least acknowledge that TS is spending his own money, while the Ipswich owner is spending the money of others ? 
    Exactly, very easy to spend Karen from Ohio 401k then your own money 
    I do find this whole pension investment thing at Ipswich very interesting. I like alot of people have a SIPP and through that own some commercial property. When one of them need some maintenance the pension administrator insists I get 3 quotes for anything I spend from my SIPP. This is slightly annoying as I own a building maintenance company lol, but that is the job of a pension administrator and why I pay them their fees. How on earth has the administrator of that American fund approved investment into a football club in the uk ?
    The pension fund has not made a direct investment in the club, it is has passed over it would seem about 0.03%, an insignificant part, of its £13bn of assets to a modest US portfolio manager ORG Portfolio Management as a small play on the market to diversify returns with a bit of risk and a higher potential return.  

It seems most of the investment will have been to acquire debt and property from Marcus Evans, so mostly fixed rate returns, and probably at tasty rates. That is the attraction for the pension fund.

The 90% equity gives ORG overall control to appoint management and give a windfall if Ipswich get promoted and justify the level of risk being taken.  It does not mean there is a gravy train of cash pouring out of the pension fund.  It is an arms length investment via ORG and if it goes bad it will just be one of the many small higher risk investments that statistically will go bad for the pension fund.

The pension fund will not be involved in the day to day running of the club, or writing cheques for Paul Cook, that is down to the management team.  ORG is 90% shareholder but only has one representative sitting on the board.  That is not the set up if you gave the club your magic porridge pot.

The management team calling the shots and spunking money on players are the 3 yanks who own "Three Lions Fund" which has a 5% investment and the CEO who is ex West Brom CEO.  If it goes bad these will be the fall guys who ORG will blame for losing money for their client pension fund.  ORG is not playing with its own money and it will not throw good money after bad on behalf of its client.

The idea that the pension fund is writing cheques for Paul Cook, or that he has access to an unlimited source of money is fanciful.  

Paul Cook has been given the keys to the sweet shop, but when he runs out of sweets and the club is still in League 1 he will be stuffed even if the ultimate owner does have £13bn of assets.

How does ORG/the pension fund make a return on its investment?  I know the club could make money if they reach the Premier League, but how does that equate to an ROI for the fund?  Is it going to be similar to the Glazers at Man Utd? 
    That’s exactly it, as Dippenhall, it one high risk investment for the pension fund. Many funds have a high risk component. The story alway was that if 1 in 5 worked you made a profit even after writing off the other 4. It’s a bundle of cash for Ipswich, and a very small financial hit for the fund if it doesn’t work. But it not a cash stream. If they don’t succeed this year, or maybe next, the money will dry up quickly. 
    I think with their recruitment this window and with Paul Cook at the helm, Ipswich will more than likely get promoted this season, or at least let’s say have an outstanding chance. Part one of the strategy ✔️. Getting out of league one this way is one thing. Getting out of The Championship using the same strategy is quite another. Quite a few of this seasons buys and many of those remaining from before won’t cut it in The Championship. They’ll have to spend big again next season at a much greater cost with much less guaranteed success. It’s possible but if Ipswich are not in The Premier League in 24/25 then how long will the money tap be open. If and when it does close what then. Very high risk strategy.
    Ipswich's approach isn't as high risk as people keep saying.  For the sake of simplicity I am going to use the following assumptions.

They get the same crowds as us. 
    Their academy has the same over heads as ours.
    Their commercial and TV revenue is the same as us.
    Their nonfootball staffing costs are similar to ours. 
    Despite increased costs you can get a lot closer to break even in the championship. 

For a club of a similar size to us a wage bill of about 8 to 10 million a year and revenue in the region of 7 million, in league 1 is about right.  Once you factor in all the other costs your looking at a loss of about 9ish million.  Plus or minus transfers.

That's probably, more or less, true for about 6 clubs in league 1 this season, who have owners that can cover the loss.  Then you have about six more that have significantly smaller fixed costs and over heads, but significantly smaller revenue streams (crowds, commercial etc) but can still pay decent wages and top it up with player sales.

I would suggest before you start every season there are 10-12 clubs who's aim is promotion.  Most won't get promoted will have to book the loss and repeat it again next year.

If you work on the basis that most 1st team players at the "big clubs" are on between 4 and 6k a week.  Going "all in" and paying all your first team 10k a week would increase your wage bill by about 3 million a year.  Ipswich are not paying all their first team 10k a week, or even close in most cases.

You can cover that with one good sale if you don't go up.  Someone like Fraser or Pigott, for example.

The clubs who get in big trouble, generally, are the championship clubs that end up paying 30k a week plus, in some cases plus a lot, chasing the premier league. 

There is a middle ground to be found in the championship, there isn't in league 1 for a club as big as us and Ipswich. 
    In my lifetime we've spent 32/55 years in the second flight. Where we belong? I think its 12 top division and 11 including this one in the third.
    And eight out of the last thirteen in the third tier.
  • edited August 2021
    Maccn05 said:
    “ I try sit in the middle-ish”

“ largely instigated by TS’s ridiculous claims.”

Um. 

But isn’t that that middle???

I think lots of thing TS has done have been spot on and I think a few things he's don’t haven’t - like increasing expectations based on  outlandish declarations?
    The fan base was divided long before TS arrived and always will be, this isn’t unique to Charlton.
    It isn't even unique to football. 
    Im not divided at all its you lot!.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!