Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    AndyG said:
    Rothko said:
    shine166 said:
    Can everyone thats saying we are obviously refusing to pay wages, at least acknowledge that TS is spending his own money, while the Ipswich owner is spending the money of others ? 
    Exactly, very easy to spend Karen from Ohio 401k then your own money 
    I do find this whole pension investment thing at Ipswich very interesting. I like alot of people have a SIPP and through that own some commercial property. When one of them need some maintenance the pension administrator insists I get 3 quotes for anything I spend from my SIPP. This is slightly annoying as I own a building maintenance company lol, but that is the job of a pension administrator and why I pay them their fees. How on earth has the administrator of that American fund approved investment into a football club in the uk ?
    The pension fund has not made a direct investment in the club, it is has passed over it would seem about 0.03%, an insignificant part, of its £13bn of assets to a modest US portfolio manager ORG Portfolio Management as a small play on the market to diversify returns with a bit of risk and a higher potential return.  

It seems most of the investment will have been to acquire debt and property from Marcus Evans, so mostly fixed rate returns, and probably at tasty rates. That is the attraction for the pension fund.

The 90% equity gives ORG overall control to appoint management and give a windfall if Ipswich get promoted and justify the level of risk being taken.  It does not mean there is a gravy train of cash pouring out of the pension fund.  It is an arms length investment via ORG and if it goes bad it will just be one of the many small higher risk investments that statistically will go bad for the pension fund.

The pension fund will not be involved in the day to day running of the club, or writing cheques for Paul Cook, that is down to the management team.  ORG is 90% shareholder but only has one representative sitting on the board.  That is not the set up if you gave the club your magic porridge pot.

The management team calling the shots and spunking money on players are the 3 yanks who own "Three Lions Fund" which has a 5% investment and the CEO who is ex West Brom CEO.  If it goes bad these will be the fall guys who ORG will blame for losing money for their client pension fund.  ORG is not playing with its own money and it will not throw good money after bad on behalf of its client.

The idea that the pension fund is writing cheques for Paul Cook, or that he has access to an unlimited source of money is fanciful.  

Paul Cook has been given the keys to the sweet shop, but when he runs out of sweets and the club is still in League 1 he will be stuffed even if the ultimate owner does have £13bn of assets.

How does ORG/the pension fund make a return on its investment?  I know the club could make money if they reach the Premier League, but how does that equate to an ROI for the fund?  Is it going to be similar to the Glazers at Man Utd? 
    That’s exactly it, as Dippenhall, it one high risk investment for the pension fund. Many funds have a high risk component. The story alway was that if 1 in 5 worked you made a profit even after writing off the other 4. It’s a bundle of cash for Ipswich, and a very small financial hit for the fund if it doesn’t work. But it not a cash stream. If they don’t succeed this year, or maybe next, the money will dry up quickly. 
    I think with their recruitment this window and with Paul Cook at the helm, Ipswich will more than likely get promoted this season, or at least let’s say have an outstanding chance. Part one of the strategy ✔️. Getting out of league one this way is one thing. Getting out of The Championship using the same strategy is quite another. Quite a few of this seasons buys and many of those remaining from before won’t cut it in The Championship. They’ll have to spend big again next season at a much greater cost with much less guaranteed success. It’s possible but if Ipswich are not in The Premier League in 24/25 then how long will the money tap be open. If and when it does close what then. Very high risk strategy.
    Ipswich's approach isn't as high risk as people keep saying.  For the sake of simplicity I am going to use the following assumptions.

They get the same crowds as us. 
    Their academy has the same over heads as ours.
    Their commercial and TV revenue is the same as us.
    Their nonfootball staffing costs are similar to ours. 
    Despite increased costs you can get a lot closer to break even in the championship. 

For a club of a similar size to us a wage bill of about 8 to 10 million a year and revenue in the region of 7 million, in league 1 is about right.  Once you factor in all the other costs your looking at a loss of about 9ish million.  Plus or minus transfers.

That's probably, more or less, true for about 6 clubs in league 1 this season, who have owners that can cover the loss.  Then you have about six more that have significantly smaller fixed costs and over heads, but significantly smaller revenue streams (crowds, commercial etc) but can still pay decent wages and top it up with player sales.

I would suggest before you start every season there are 10-12 clubs who's aim is promotion.  Most won't get promoted will have to book the loss and repeat it again next year.

If you work on the basis that most 1st team players at the "big clubs" are on between 4 and 6k a week.  Going "all in" and paying all your first team 10k a week would increase your wage bill by about 3 million a year.  Ipswich are not paying all their first team 10k a week, or even close in most cases.

You can cover that with one good sale if you don't go up.  Someone like Fraser or Pigott, for example.

The clubs who get in big trouble, generally, are the championship clubs that end up paying 30k a week plus, in some cases plus a lot, chasing the premier league. 

There is a middle ground to be found in the championship, there isn't in league 1 for a club as big as us and Ipswich. 
    Ipswich made around 3m in transfer fees by selling Dozzell, Downes and Gibbs this summer, so a lot of the money they've spent on their 16 signings has actually been recouped.
  • edited August 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Wigan and Ipswich have done their business early which is what we did when we’re promoted easily 10 years ago.Whilst none of us know what the budget is or who we should sign,we do know what is needed,another striker,a left back and an attacking midfielder,not to mention an experienced back up keeper.Adkins and Gallen must know this as well but whilst we don’t have them we will continue to drop points which may prove costly later.Surely with most clubs broke there have been enough good players available, so are we not smart enough or not rich enough to compete?and are we going to just be an average league 1 club instead of what we all believe,a decent Championship one.This is a big season and so far I find it worrying 
     We are an average League 1 team .
    We were an average League 1 team in the Crofts/Foley era. I don’t think we’re as poor as that now. We can revisit this in a few weeks time. 
    It would be an interesting game. On the balance of it, I think that side would edge it against the current side - although we still have a lot more building to do.

Let’s not forget that side included: Phillips, Aribo, Teixeira, Fox, Konsa, Grant, Lookman, Magennis, Pearce, Solly, JFC, Jay Dasilva and loads of other squad players like Chickson and Ulvestad.

Looking back it was a team worse than the sum of its parts
  • Good job Ipswich are so amenable or we would have nothing to talk about on our rumours thread..... B)
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    AndyG said:
    Rothko said:
    shine166 said:
    Can everyone thats saying we are obviously refusing to pay wages, at least acknowledge that TS is spending his own money, while the Ipswich owner is spending the money of others ? 
    I do find this whole pension investment thing at Ipswich very interesting. I like alot of people have a SIPP and through that own some commercial property. When one of them need some maintenance the pension administrator insists I get 3 quotes for anything I spend from my SIPP. This is slightly annoying as I own a building maintenance company lol, but that is the job of a pension administrator and why I pay them their fees. How on earth has the administrator of that American fund approved investment into a football club in the uk ?
    The pension fund has not made a direct investment in the club, it is has passed over it would seem about 0.03%, an insignificant part, of its £13bn of assets to a modest US portfolio manager ORG Portfolio Management as a small play on the market to diversify returns with a bit of risk and a higher potential return.  

It seems most of the investment will have been to acquire debt and property from Marcus Evans, so mostly fixed rate returns, and probably at tasty rates. That is the attraction for the pension fund.

The 90% equity gives ORG overall control to appoint management and give a windfall if Ipswich get promoted and justify the level of risk being taken.  It does not mean there is a gravy train of cash pouring out of the pension fund.  It is an arms length investment via ORG and if it goes bad it will just be one of the many small higher risk investments that statistically will go bad for the pension fund.

The pension fund will not be involved in the day to day running of the club, or writing cheques for Paul Cook, that is down to the management team.  ORG is 90% shareholder but only has one representative sitting on the board.  That is not the set up if you gave the club your magic porridge pot.

The management team calling the shots and spunking money on players are the 3 yanks who own "Three Lions Fund" which has a 5% investment and the CEO who is ex West Brom CEO.  If it goes bad these will be the fall guys who ORG will blame for losing money for their client pension fund.  ORG is not playing with its own money and it will not throw good money after bad on behalf of its client.

The idea that the pension fund is writing cheques for Paul Cook, or that he has access to an unlimited source of money is fanciful.  

Paul Cook has been given the keys to the sweet shop, but when he runs out of sweets and the club is still in League 1 he will be stuffed even if the ultimate owner does have £13bn of assets.

How does ORG/the pension fund make a return on its investment?  I know the club could make money if they reach the Premier League, but how does that equate to an ROI for the fund?  Is it going to be similar to the Glazers at Man Utd? 
    That’s exactly it, as Dippenhall, it one high risk investment for the pension fund. Many funds have a high risk component. The story alway was that if 1 in 5 worked you made a profit even after writing off the other 4. It’s a bundle of cash for Ipswich, and a very small financial hit for the fund if it doesn’t work. But it not a cash stream. If they don’t succeed this year, or maybe next, the money will dry up quickly. 
    I think with their recruitment this window and with Paul Cook at the helm, Ipswich will more than likely get promoted this season, or at least let’s say have an outstanding chance. Part one of the strategy ✔️. Getting out of league one this way is one thing. Getting out of The Championship using the same strategy is quite another. Quite a few of this seasons buys and many of those remaining from before won’t cut it in The Championship. They’ll have to spend big again next season at a much greater cost with much less guaranteed success. It’s possible but if Ipswich are not in The Premier League in 24/25 then how long will the money tap be open. If and when it does close what then. Very high risk strategy.
    Ipswich's approach isn't as high risk as people keep saying.  For the sake of simplicity I am going to use the following assumptions.

Despite increased costs you can get a lot closer to break even in the championship. 

For a club of a similar size to us a wage bill of about 8 to 10 million a year and revenue in the region of 7 million, in league 1 is about right.  Once you factor in all the other costs your looking at a loss of about 9ish million.  Plus or minus transfers.

That's probably, more or less, true for about 6 clubs in league 1 this season, who have owners that can cover the loss.  Then you have about six more that have significantly smaller fixed costs and over heads, but significantly smaller revenue streams (crowds, commercial etc) but can still pay decent wages and top it up with player sales.

I would suggest before you start every season there are 10-12 clubs who's aim is promotion.  Most won't get promoted will have to book the loss and repeat it again next year.

If you work on the basis that most 1st team players at the "big clubs" are on between 4 and 6k a week.  Going "all in" and paying all your first team 10k a week would increase your wage bill by about 3 million a year.  Ipswich are not paying all their first team 10k a week, or even close in most cases.

You can cover that with one good sale if you don't go up.  Someone like Fraser or Pigott, for example.

The clubs who get in big trouble, generally, are the championship clubs that end up paying 30k a week plus, in some cases plus a lot, chasing the premier league. 

There is a middle ground to be found in the championship, there isn't in league 1 for a club as big as us and Ipswich. 
    Ipswich made around 3m in transfer fees by selling Dozzell, Downes and Gibbs this summer, so a lot of the money they've spent on their 16 signings has actually been recouped.
    But then most L1 clubs made money from transfer dealings. During 2020/21 we sold Bonne, Phillips and Doughty, that must be at least £3m.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    AndyG said:
    Rothko said:
    shine166 said:

I know which is why I suggested they could do so again next summer.   It mitigates the risk.  Its a lot harder when your in the championship and over paying players. 
  • All this talk of budgets isnt TS being tight, aren't there FFP rules in place in the division re ratio of wages to turnover? 

Ipswich seem to be either ignoring these and the squad limit or are confident its going to get kicked into touch by the PFA.  I can see that happening with the squad limit but not the wages, thats been around for a few seasons

I think we may be playing by the rules as are others and this may help clubs, players and their agents get real the closer we get to deadline day.  
  • edited August 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Wigan and Ipswich have done their business early which is what we did when we’re promoted easily 10 years ago.Whilst none of us know what the budget is or who we should sign,we do know what is needed,another striker,a left back and an attacking midfielder,not to mention an experienced back up keeper.Adkins and Gallen must know this as well but whilst we don’t have them we will continue to drop points which may prove costly later.Surely with most clubs broke there have been enough good players available, so are we not smart enough or not rich enough to compete?and are we going to just be an average league 1 club instead of what we all believe,a decent Championship one.This is a big season and so far I find it worrying 
    We were an average League 1 team in the Crofts/Foley era. I don’t think we’re as poor as that now. We can revisit this in a few weeks time. 
    It would be an interesting game. On the balance of it, I think that side would edge it against the current side - although we still have a lot more building to do.

Let’s not forget that side included: Phillips, Aribo, Teixeira, Fox, Konsa, Grant, Lookman, Magennis, Pearce, Solly, JFC, Jay Dasilva and loads of other squad players like Chickson and Ulvestad.

Can I just say deleting as I was so inaccurate it's crazy. Completely forgot about half that season, probably not a bad thing!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    AndyG said:
    Rothko said:
    shine166 said:

But then most L1 clubs made money from transfer dealings. During 2020/21 we sold Bonne, Phillips and Doughty, that must be at least £3m.
    I doubt we even made half of £3m
  • Painfully quite 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Can I just say deleting as I was so inaccurate it's crazy. Completely forgot about half that season, probably not a bad thing!

Despite the doom and gloom we are are million miles away from these two beautiful teams 🙄🙄
  • Wigan and Ipswich have done their business early which is what we did when we’re promoted easily 10 years ago.Whilst none of us know what the budget is or who we should sign,we do know what is needed,another striker,a left back and an attacking midfielder,not to mention an experienced back up keeper.Adkins and Gallen must know this as well but whilst we don’t have them we will continue to drop points which may prove costly later.Surely with most clubs broke there have been enough good players available, so are we not smart enough or not rich enough to compete?and are we going to just be an average league 1 club instead of what we all believe,a decent Championship one.This is a big season and so far I find it worrying 
     Absolutely spot on, which is why we are passing in the wind now with signings. 

Are you saying we should spend less time passing the wind, and more time passing the ball?
  • All this talk of budgets isnt TS being tight, aren't there FFP rules in place in the division re ratio of wages to turnover? 

Ipswich seem to be either ignoring these and the squad limit or are confident its going to get kicked into touch by the PFA.  I can see that happening with the squad limit but not the wages, thats been around for a few seasons

I think we may be playing by the rules as are others and this may help clubs, players and their agents get real the closer we get to deadline day.  
    There not there squad numbers are still down by 5/6 players and there wages just coming out what they saved in getting rid of big earners like Judge ..
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    AndyG said:
    Rothko said:
    shine166 said:

I doubt we even made half of £3m
    Bonne was 2m alone…
  • Of that £2M, how much was upfront? Guessing the bulk dependent on appearances and success. 
  • Whoever we bring in let us hope that are not panic additions like Bogle or Dodoo, sends out the wrong message to supporters and opponents 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:

Despite the doom and gloom we are are million miles away from these two beautiful teams 🙄🙄
    Teams of nightmares - Christ we have had some bad players. 

TS isn't really being tight, he's spent around 1.5m on players in 2021 during a pandemic when countless clubs are struggling. Not to mention however much money we'll lose as a club overall. I think he's just taking a more measured approach to signings rather than steaming in like Ipswich. 
    This but also in league 1 and 2 the owners can invest capital and count it as income.  You can spend as much as you like as long as its not loans. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    AndyG said:
    Rothko said:
    shine166 said:

I know which is why I suggested they could do so again next summer.   It mitigates the risk.  Its a lot harder when your in the championship and over paying players. 
    And the competition is harder and finances are stacked against you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    AndyG said:
    Rothko said:
    shine166 said:

And the competition is harder and finances are stacked against you.
    That's my whole point, if you do it in league 1 the risk is manageable through player sales and a small amount of EXTRA investment.  If you try it in the championship, and fail, you will end up shit creak.  The starting point in the championship is close to break even, its a million, or even 10 million, miles away in league 1.

Since the salary cap was scrapped, the league has reverted to the prior rules that stated 60% of turnover could go towards the wage bill. From this you can work out a rough ceiling for our salary limits. 

The other limit in place is a squad size cap which limits league 1 and 2 to 22 players (with some exceptions). I've written more about it here: https://wp.me/pcUFuQ-3S 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:

There are several players in those teams that I have no real recollection of having ever played for Charlton such was their impact.
    Absolutely, Foley, Bessone, Parrett, I genuinely don't remember them at all.  Anyinsah I vaguely remember signing but couldn't tell you a single thing about his time at Charlton now.

Since the salary cap was scrapped, the league has reverted to the prior rules that stated 60% of turnover could go towards the wage bill. From this you can work out a rough ceiling for our salary limits. 

The other limit in place is a squad size cap which limits league 1 and 2 to 22 players (with some exceptions). I've written more about it here: https://wp.me/pcUFuQ-3S 
    Dempsey is an intresting one, can we just leave him, or anyone else, put of the squad like you can in the Premier League?

Or do we have to physically move him else where? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    All this talk of budgets isnt TS being tight, aren't there FFP rules in place in the division re ratio of wages to turnover? 

Dempsey is an intresting one, can we just leave him, or anyone else, put of the squad like you can in the Premier League?

Or do we have to physically move him else where? 
    We have the choice who we register. Peterborough didn’t register Boyd last season because of similar reasoning.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:

There are several players in those teams that I have no real recollection of having ever played for Charlton such was their impact.
    Absolutely, Foley, Bessone, Parrett, I genuinely don't remember them at all.  Anyinsah I vaguely remember signing but couldn't tell you a single thing about his time at Charlton now.
    Dean Parrett wasn't a bad little footballer
  • Clarky said:

Obviously getting these deals done is not really simple, however , I think this is a perfectly reasonable tweet and thought process. The top 4 players are all playing in League 1 and will all be on lower wages than we should be able to afford bearing in mind 3 of them play in front of crowds of 5k or less. The loan player will be a Prem loan. Maybe they want to go to the Championship but money there seems even tighter than our League and as we reach the end of the window , its reasonable to assume that prices will fall a bit from those quoted above.

None of us are privy to what Thomas's financial limitations are but I think the basic premise above is a fair one that with the players quoted, all of whom are likely to be available and on 'relatively' low wages we would be building a team for the next 3-4 years and we would have a much greater chance of promotion which brings a stronger financial model. 

Trouble is he criticised TS for his "ridiculous claims" and begins this bit of fun with "it's really simple". 
    Well picking a list of realistic targets is simple - but never said getting the deals done would.

The claims from TS we’re ridiculous and are proving so, his raising of expectations is a large reason why a big section of the fans are unhappy. That can’t be disputed.

and to be fair I didn’t Criticise him in the post only on here even though. Some people seem to think you can’t be a TS supporter but still disagree with things he does.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!