Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    On Henderson I wonder if it being made public means it’s pretty much done?

When did we last have two senior keepers? Must have been even rarer in the third tier.
    Not at all. The story says purely because he lives nearby and has been allowed to train at Sparrows Lane. His options are open.
  • Crusty54 said:
    Scoham said:

When did we last have two senior keepers? Must have been even rarer in the third tier.
    Not at all. The story says purely because he lives nearby and has been allowed to train at Sparrows Lane. His options are open.
    True.  Elliot trained with us last season and signed for Watford.
  • edited August 2021
    Stephen Henderson was a good keeper at Cafc but always looked like he had a stiff back and not great with his feet. He had the unfortunate obligation to speak at Bromley Addick's after a losing run of several games when we had conceded a hatful of goals.
    Tough gig for Hendo but he didn't hide or throw a sickie so utter respect to him then and now. 
  • Scoham said:

Phillips and Maxwell?
  • Vfrf said:
    UEAAddick said:
    Vfrf said:
    Think people look far too much into what the man says. With all due respect to TS, he doesn’t really know a huge amount the game. Plus I wouldn’t expect the owner to say we are miles off and stick a boot into his own playing staff. I’m sure Adkins, Gallen and Roddy know we aren’t there yet in terms of starting 11 and squad depth. I’m more interested in their comments as an indication of where we are, and they’ve indicated they will bring more in whilst not giving away too much. Still a couple of weeks to do some business.
    Having defended Thomas numerous times across the forum, I tend to opt on the side of optimism for him and his comments. I still haven't yet even come close to criticising his conduct as a whole, but these press releases are starting to add fuel to the fire, even for me.
    At the end of the day it's Thomas writing the cheques so for better or worse, his comments are relevant even if Roddy/Gallen/Adkins are closer to the action. The issue for me is whether these three know it or not, Thomas is publically stating we're basically there with a starting 11. This starting 11 with the way Adkins currently has them playing will not hit top six.
    Thomas also comes out and says we need to create 'even more chances'. Which chances are we creating exactly? We've played 3 competitive games and have 0 goals from open play. You could argue Wednesday are a hard team to break down but to get nothing against AFCW or Oxford? You don't need to make these kinds of comments when you're playing horrible football - what good would come of it?
    Even giving a signed shirt to a TV fan after nearly a couple thousand made the trip up there in-person, these press releases are completely tone deaf. As I said, I'm a huge, huge Sandgaard guy but I think he needs some advice when speaking to the press. Speaking from the heart is an admirable trait but it's really landing like a lead balloon at the moment. Just get a couple wins under our belt and people won't care but this is really the wrong time to be saying these things.
    Good Points. I always thought him being on twitter was a bade idea, although if he came off now all sorts of theories will be thrown out about why he has, so he can't win.

I also don't think that the past owners and lockdowns have helped in how things are seen. Owners for obvious reasons of false promises, insults and just doing a crap job.

Lockdowns because especially nearer the beginning, we were are all doing less so most people were spending more and more time on social media than before over analysing everything and getting in rows cos we haven't for the last year and a half been doing much or allowed to. Speaking to mates about this I think if we were not in lockdowns we would have had other things to distract from social media, (which isn't on the whole a reflection of life) such as going to games as this applies to all things, not just football 

I do think TS may have possibly underestimated some of the ins and outs of running a football club. Especially about what and not to say, but I hope and it seems he may be learning on that one. When it will become a problem is if he doesn't learn from them.
    Completely agree with you mate, I'd never stop advocating for TS I think he's the perfect owner for us. I'm also personally largely happy with the recruitment so far I think we are just missing a few key cogs, such as a creative 10 and a natural LB. It's just concerning to hear your owner sound as though you're creating loads and narrowly missing out having watched the absolutely regressive performances we've seen recently.
    I think the point I was trying to get across (badly), is he doesn't need to say those kinds of things - we're not playing well and not creating chances so saying we are when discussing transfers is just going to irritate people who put lots of time and money into following the team.
    Equally I suppose that his personality of chatty, and people can't really change that in themselves over night. But it's different in football compared to business, when he will have a higher profile, especially now as owners are judged rightly more than ever, so maybe it's something he will have to alter with us over time.

I mean has he ever had to deal with media like this in business or was known for doing it?

I don't think he should have said, "blow league out the water", because now that will be used against him, some will be by knee-jerkers who will complain if we don't spend 100 million or win 5-0 every week and would probably still moan, but rational people will overtime too as most would probably it was the wrong thing to say 
  • I expect Henderson to sign after the window shuts as a free agent, assuming he doesn't get any other offers in the meantime.

Not necessarily our first choice, and us not being his, but helps each other out for a season: he gets paid, we get an experienced 2nd choice keeper.
  • sam3110 said:
    Guy is now in a lose lose situation.

He bigged himself up and said we'd blow away the league, and expectations sky rocketed.

Now he's talking it down and talking about slowly building up and not spending too much and trying to temper expectations, but it's too late.

So now we stick to the build slowly and people are disappointed if we finish 8th, or he spends big and people say it's panic buying and he is just proving that we should have done it that way to start with. 

Either way, he loses creditability
    Maybe he should follow Roland's lead then and just say nothing. Then we'd get people moaning about no communication.

It feels like ever since the RD era every quote ever made by anyone is judged and held accountable by fans in a kangaroo court.

The recruitment team aren't stupid they know what we need, they know the fans know what we need. Everything said in public is all part of a game of poker and while the window remains open all we can do is trust the recruitment process.

The time for judging the window is after it's closed, until then I really think some need to stop hanging off every quote published.
    I do not share your confidence in the recruitment team since they left us with a makeshift defence when Inniss and Famewo were injured last season. We would have made the playoffs with one more half decent centre back.
    And if it was not the recruitment team it must have been Tommy would not pony up the money.
    Either way a ballsup.
  • Croydon said:
    Scoham said:

Phillips and Maxwell?
    Maxwell was a loanee. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I really do not see that there is a lack of quality in the team - for me, there has been an extremely rare level of investment for a club at this level, leaving a team with huge quality. Yes, that team will need time to get itself together (see also Ipswich) and a bit of extra cover in places, but they were left in a difficult spot with an aging squad and have done incredibly well to bring in the players they have. I doubt that there is a single club in this division that would not bite your hand off for the likes of Fanewo, Kirk, MacGillivray, and Stockley to speak just of the new purchases this Summer.
    I know it is early but so far we look no stronger or better than we did last season, as we all know we have lost a 15 goal striker and not replaced him.

We are lacking in depth for the squad, injuries and suspensions would cripple us at the moment and the quality of the players have not been enhanced as yet, Kirk may change that?

MacGillvray does not look any better than Phillips or Amos so that buy was a like for like swap, once again not an improvement. 

Banging long balls up to Stockley will not get us promoted, its about the easiest tactic for the opposition to defend against.
  • Blimey what do people expect?  TS to come out and say we need signings for the starting XI?  Cos that’ll do the lads confidence the worlds of good won’t it.

ButtleJR said:
    Blimey what do people expect?  TS to come out and say we need signings for the starting XI?  Cos that’ll do the lads confidence the worlds of good won’t it.
    This 100%
    Or, creating competition for places. They are not children after all.
  • I really do not see that there is a lack of quality in the team - for me, there has been an extremely rare level of investment for a club at this level, leaving a team with huge quality. Yes, that team will need time to get itself together (see also Ipswich) and a bit of extra cover in places, but they were left in a difficult spot with an aging squad and have done incredibly well to bring in the players they have. I doubt that there is a single club in this division that would not bite your hand off for the likes of Fanewo, Kirk, MacGillivray, and Stockley to speak just of the new purchases this Summer.
    I know it is early but so far we look no stronger or better than we did last season, as we all know we have lost a 15 goal striker and not replaced him.

We are lacking in depth for the squad, injuries and suspensions would cripple us at the moment and the quality of the players have not been enhanced as yet, Kirk may change that?

MacGillvray does not look any better than Phillips or Amos so that buy was a like for like swap, once again not an improvement. 

Banging long balls up to Stockley will not get us promoted, its about the easiest tactic for the opposition to defend against.
    Agree totally about the banging long balls up to Stockley it is not working. That is why I think the suggested been put on here a few times about dropping Albie and putting Washington in the 10 role might pay off. With Kirk on the left and DJ on the right Washington can hopefully play off of Stockley. Worth a try I feel until we hopefully get someone in to provide a more traditional 10 role
    I tend to agree with most of what you say.  I think the problem is lack of quality in certain areas. CAM for example.  We need a player that can pick a quick pass to open up the opposition, can get his shots off (preferably on target) and is switched on all the time. We haven’t got that player at the moment. We also need a CM who can dictate they play - maybe that will be Clare, I know it’s very early days, but he touched the ball 12 times Saturday.  Maybe he just had an off day, but we didn’t have a player to replace him.
  • Fumbluff said:
    Sorry to interrupt all the “cast iron” rumours on transfers but more importantly can anyone confirm that our Thomas has gone for the Wayne Rooney Arse Crack Follicle Relocation Program and if so, who the donor was?

BOGOF with Mouthall.
  • Southbank said:
    sam3110 said:
    Guy is now in a lose lose situation.

He bigged himself up and said we'd blow away the league, and expectations sky rocketed.

Now he's talking it down and talking about slowly building up and not spending too much and trying to temper expectations, but it's too late.

So now we stick to the build slowly and people are disappointed if we finish 8th, or he spends big and people say it's panic buying and he is just proving that we should have done it that way to start with. 

Either way, he loses creditability
    Maybe he should follow Roland's lead then and just say nothing. Then we'd get people moaning about no communication.

It feels like ever since the RD era every quote ever made by anyone is judged and held accountable by fans in a kangaroo court.

The recruitment team aren't stupid they know what we need, they know the fans know what we need. Everything said in public is all part of a game of poker and while the window remains open all we can do is trust the recruitment process.

The time for judging the window is after it's closed, until then I really think some need to stop hanging off every quote published.
    I do not share your confidence in the recruitment team since they left us with a makeshift defence when Inniss and Famewo were injured last season. We would have made the playoffs with one more half decent centre back.
    And if it was not the recruitment team it must have been Tommy would not pony up the money.
    Either way a ballsup.
    I agree we needed another CB last season but the wage cap didn't help, plus it was Bowyer who always said we didn't need another one so maybe that was more on Bowyer than anyone.
  • AndyG said:
    I really do not see that there is a lack of quality in the team - for me, there has been an extremely rare level of investment for a club at this level, leaving a team with huge quality. Yes, that team will need time to get itself together (see also Ipswich) and a bit of extra cover in places, but they were left in a difficult spot with an aging squad and have done incredibly well to bring in the players they have. I doubt that there is a single club in this division that would not bite your hand off for the likes of Fanewo, Kirk, MacGillivray, and Stockley to speak just of the new purchases this Summer.

Agree totally about the banging long balls up to Stockley it is not working. That is why I think the suggested been put on here a few times about dropping Albie and putting Washington in the 10 role might pay off. With Kirk on the left and DJ on the right Washington can hopefully play off of Stockley. Worth a try I feel until we hopefully get someone in to provide a more traditional 10 role
    Your plan sounds solid Andy but sadly you don't pick the team and select the tactics. No evidence so far of a plan B when Plan A is not working but we live in hope.  

• I tend to agree with most of what you say.  I think the problem is lack of quality in certain areas. CAM for example.  We need a player that can pick a quick pass to open up the opposition, can get his shots off (preferably on target) and is switched on all the time. We haven’t got that player at the moment. We also need a CM who can dictate they play - maybe that will be Clare, I know it’s very early days, but he touched the ball 12 times Saturday.  Maybe he just had an off day, but we didn’t have a player to replace him.
    I totally get what you are saying, but central midfield is quite a specific problem, because we already have that player in JFC. It was absolutely the right thing to do to give him a new contract, but it did leave them snookered because which good midfielder is going to come in on the basis that to get in the team right now they have to displace last year's Young Player of the Year, and even if they do that, quite possibly by Christmas they will be sat on the bench behind last year's Player of the Year? I don't say it could not happen, but I can see why it would be difficult.

• I tend to agree with most of what you say.  I think the problem is lack of quality in certain areas. CAM for example.  We need a player that can pick a quick pass to open up the opposition, can get his shots off (preferably on target) and is switched on all the time. We haven’t got that player at the moment. We also need a CM who can dictate they play - maybe that will be Clare, I know it’s very early days, but he touched the ball 12 times Saturday.  Maybe he just had an off day, but we didn’t have a player to replace him.
    I totally get what you are saying, but central midfield is quite a specific problem, because we already have that player in JFC. It was absolutely the right thing to do to give him a new contract, but it did leave them snookered because which good midfielder is going to come in on the basis that to get in the team right now they have to displace last year's Young Player of the Year, and even if they do that, quite possibly by Christmas they will be sat on the bench behind last year's Player of the Year? I don't say it could not happen, but I can see why it would be difficult.

If a player didn't sign for us because he was worried about Morgan and a player who at best is probably 5 months off returning and at worst might not even be the same player again then i'd question his desire and probably wouldn't want him anyway.

I agree with your other post though, there is quality there, but the problem is there is just not enough of it and not in key areas. A new left back, Gilbey and Kirk may well change that though. But then there's no one to compete with Stockley (or play off him if we're chasing a game), no one to compete with DJ. If Inniss breaks down then Pearce is back in the side and a 17 year old is on the bench.
  • Sponsored links:

• Defender on loan from Prem sounds fairly close.
    David Luiz 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    There are 4 possible explanations for the current state of affairs.

1) We have been picky and only signed players we really want, not anything that moves, and held our nerve.  This may or may not stay the same as the deadline looms closer.

2) We can't/won't pay what we need to to get the players we need in and can't/won't budge.

3) It's deliberate and the "plan" is to add 2 or 3 quality players each window and build over a number of seasons.

4) No one can be arsed and they just haven't bothered or they were too busy in the recording studio, on holiday, or enjoying the hospitality at QPR.

I think in all honesty we can rule out 4.  I suspect its 1 with maybe a tint of 2.  If its 3 someone is going to get a short sharp shock when the bills start piling up. 
    Hopefully number 1
  • It’s apparent that the current strategy is giving  a large number on here a case of the number 2’s.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

1) We have been picky and only signed players we really want, not anything that moves, and held our nerve.  This may or may not stay the same as the deadline looms closer.

2) We can't/won't pay what we need to to get the players we need in and can't/won't budge.

3) It's deliberate and the "plan" is to add 2 or 3 quality players each window and build over a number of seasons.

4) No one can be arsed and they just haven't bothered or they were too busy in the recording studio, on holiday, or enjoying the hospitality at QPR.

I think in all honesty we can rule out 4.  I suspect its 1 with maybe a tint of 2.  If its 3 someone is going to get a short sharp shock when the bills start piling up. 
    As you say, I think it's a mixture of 1 & 2
  • Cafc43v3r said:

I think it's a 3 but only because we've had such a huge rebuild. By time the window shuts we will have 10-12 players that are actually ours, we want them and are multi-year deals. From next summer onwards I'd expect the bulk of the team to remain the same but maybe £1-2mil + transfer revenue invested on actual talent. Getting players like Jorge Grant early in a January window for example before he's on a big stage.
  • edited August 2021
    I think it's 1, and with a tiny of won't of number 2
  • Last week I lost £2 and cashed out my automatic promotion and top southern club bets.

Our only hope of making any decent signings is if I cash out my promotion and top 6 bets. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!