Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• SamE7 said:
    I'm sure these sort of comments will do a young man's self esteem and confidence a world of good (on the off chance he might see them, which let's face it, he could). I see we've found someone else to scapegoat now Purrington is injured
    Hes earning a few grand a week to ease that pain, due to Daddy. I dont feel too sorry for him. And he is shite.
  • James McClean is a target for Wigan and Bolton after being told he can leave Stoke and made to train with their U23s.

32, never played below the championship, seasoned international. Could he do a job for a year?
  • Yeah he'd certainly be a player that would divide opinion.
  • Just over 2 weeks of the window left. We need 5-6 players. In our recruitment staff we trust ?  Well , actually,  no.
    I think we maybe need one more than that to get ourselves in the position we need to be:

Striker to compete with Stockley 
    Morgan replacement (Morgan becomes squad player)
    Clare replacement (Clare becomes squad player)
    New left back 
    Additional centre back option 
    Reserve keeper to put pressure on the new bloke 

Potentially also be nice to get squad options to compete with DJ….

So 6-7…. We have been told to be patient and they will come. Guess we will find out in the next two weeks.

My patience has run out after yesterday's debacle. In truth it ran out 3 weeks ago when they claimed they were working 7 days a week to get new recruits. Yet our preseason was an exercise in making our bench look younger than the Busby Babes. To what end ?  No experience so we have ' Ba es in the woods and a genuine claim to a really early season of Pantomime performances.  Wonderful. 
    I Understand the frustration but remember Ipswich have signed loads of players and according to some people on this form are nailed on for top spot,  yet after two games they are in the exactly the same position as us, yes we need more bodies and I'm sure that will happen
    Ipswich have signed so many players that they will probably take some time to gel. Scoring goals won't be a problem for them as they have countless options but based on the early games they need to tighten up at the back which is probably why they just signed a new centre back yesterday.
  • Yeah he'd certainly be a player that would divide opinion.
    That’s an understatement, if you’d been at the Stoke match eighteen months ago to hear our fans adverse reaction towards him at half time. 
  • RedChaser said:
    Yeah he'd certainly be a player that would divide opinion.
    That’s an understatement, if you’d been at the Stoke match eighteen months ago to hear our fans adverse reaction towards him at half time. 
    Hope he signs for Wigan before Saturday. Got almost 18 months of booing saved up and would not be wasted on him. 
  • Swisdom said:
    So we all agree we need a decent attacking left back / LWB

The top assister in the position in L2 last season was Exeter's 20 year old left back Jack Sparkes.  He's pretty strong, quite tricky and has a lovely left foot.  Decent crossing ability - a smattering of goals in there too.  Young.  He fits the bill....only problem is he was stretchered off yesterday with a suspected broken collar bone and I have no idea how quickly they heal!

Looks like a decent fit for us though as, until yesterday, he hadn't missed much action and gets a good number of crosses in.

Go get him MR Gallen
    Charltonized before a rumour even starts!

• Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    Big big week ahead
    Big big 2 and a half weeks ahead
  • Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Big big week ahead
    Next 2 and half weeks are crucial.
  • RedChaser said:
    Yeah he'd certainly be a player that would divide opinion.
    True but football fans are generally fickle and if he came in and played well, as i'm sure he would at this level, then he'd be an asset. I know others won't all agree, and it's no reflection on my opinion about wearing one, but i honestly couldn't care less what a footballer i don't know thinks about wearing a poppy.
    I am kind of in the middle on this one, I understand his reasons for not wanting to but I have long thought of The Poppy as remembering who you want to remember and it is for normal people not those that choose to send people to war. There is also the idea that he dislikes what occurred where he is from so much but is willing to have lived his adult life in the land of the perpetrators earning a large wage.

I am very pro The Poppy and all it stands for but those that died did so so we can make our choices.  I won't abuse him, but whilst understanding his reasons I think he is wrong.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Big big week ahead
    That will of course be next week in the end i……….,,
    You what ? 🤔
  • Sorry to add to an already busy rumours chat, but I heard we’re bringing in lots of players this week. 

Apparently the whole Wigan side are coming on Saturday!
  • Oh good. We’re on to poppies now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    We'll see, I'll be surprised if all the signings we bring in come in purely as cover.
    We need a minimum of 5 more players, we needed 7 and have since signed Clare and Kirk.  2 of them have to be absolute starters in CM and LB.  We then need another winger, striker and CB. 
    Signings needed/wanted? - Page 2 — Charlton Life 
  • I live near Exeter and they have an excellent academy (I say this even though they wouldn't let my son into it!)

They regularly produce top quality players and are probably the top youth set up in the south west.  (Matt Grimes, Ollie Watkins, Ethan Ampadu) 

Jack Sparkes is 20 and from the same year group as Ampadu, and all the way through youth football was a left sided forward, strong and pacey.  Hes still very young (Ampadu is a freak of footballing nature)  similar in age to the bench we've had the last two games.  

He's undoubtedly a talented but he's not the answer at left back. Hes not even a left back!

Exeter, if you didnt know, are a community club owned by the fans and have bought two stands with the profits they have made on player sales in the last four years. Rebuilding the club and being sustainable has been their priority, and at the same time they have been there or thereabouts at the top of the league.  

I think when adding the sell on fee and other add ons to the transfer fee they ended up getting around 5.5-6m for Watkins. An incredible sum for a league two club.
  • One thing Exeter don't do is sell players on the cheap.  (Unless they are stolen by Chelsea)   T
  • DiscoCAFC said:
    James McClean is a target for Wigan and Bolton after being told he can leave Stoke and made to train with their U23s.

32, never played below the championship, seasoned international. Could he do a job for a year?
    Wouldn’t want him, can’t stand him.
    Agreed. I’d rather play with 10 men.
  • Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Big big week ahead
    Next 2 and half weeks are crucial.

I'd say that the next 9 months are crucial, for Thomas dreams and ambitions to be on track or derailed! 

This league is so competitive, but the depth of squads is so thin in quality for so many clubs, as soon as a few form players gets injured or dip, they drop like a stone. 

More likely to win the lottery than to predict the final top six at this stage. 
  • barstool said:
    It sounds from the interview with Adkins that he is very confident with a few new players plus the loans. Season will start improving after that no doubt 
    Yes but isn’t Adkins confident & positive about everything! 
  • chev said:
    Can't believe he's only played 16 games since leaving us

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!