Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Think window is going very similar to the January window. 

The fans can clearly see where we need players in, the management and recruitment team are the only ones that don't. 

Everyone knew we needed a CB in that window, just like everyone knows we need a LB, AM, ST and 3 others in this one. 
    44:20 TS talks about signing more players.

https://youtu.be/WR_usTRtvJ0

3:35 NA does the same.

https://twitter.com/cafcofficial/status/1426587246891868173?s=21

It couldn’t be made clearer that they’re fully aware we need several signings.

I agree more players will come but I don't get the impression it will be 'several'.
    Maybe “a few” would be better? Either way I expect at least 3 and hopefully more than that.

3 would be nowhere near enough 
  • edited August 2021
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:

The fans can clearly see where we need players in, the management and recruitment team are the only ones that don't. 

Everyone knew we needed a CB in that window, just like everyone knows we need a LB, AM, ST and 3 others in this one. 
    What we need and what Tommy is prepared to pay for now seem to be widely apart. Adkins gone by Xmas?
    I dont understand this. We have paid fees for 2 players. We were set to sign the player from wigan but he failed a medical, he would not have come cheap in terms of wages and a signing on fee. Famewo might only be a loan but most premier league teams charge loan fee’s? We’ve already agreed a fee to make the deal permanent.

without fully understand what Tommy has paid and what else we have lined up, makes this comment ridiculous 
    Its not a matter of how much he has spent, it is a matter of how much he needs to spend to create a promotion winning team.
    At the moment it is not enough by a long way.

Spending someone elses money is easy, are you my Mrs???  Although I agree that the squad needs additional investment, we do not know what he has spent on legacy issues created by crazy people from Belgium and northern wannabe gangsters.

Should the budget now have been adjusted downwards due to Tommy spending money clearing up previous owners mess, it would be nice if that is communicated to us and the 5 year plan also adjusted.

The above is pure speculation without any evidence but its my view that sorting out mess has reduced our budget.  An example, what happened to the £12k a month apartment? We (tommy) is either still paying the bill or paid a hefty figure to terminate the contract.  That £12k a month could be spent on wages on a back up left back
  • edited August 2021
    I think Adkins said a long while back that he likes a squad of 18 first team players and the rest supplemented with players from the youth team. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Seven touches for a man marked Jaiyesimi, twelve for Clare. In 96 minutes. Not good. 
    Gotta work in training on escaping your marker, for sure. But can’t understand how a midfielder like Clare could have so few touches. Shows our midfielders aren’t playing as a unit perhaps. Where are our triangles, where are the give and goes, the one-twos? Oxford’s midfield showed how it’s done. 
    People are saying drop Morgan for Gilbey, but I think it’s worth trying Morgan and Gilbey together, with Clare on the bench. 
    Problem is, in our three matches so far most of our players individually look slightly worse than their opposite numbers. 
    Perhaps three or four loans/signings will freshen things up. We saw what happened when Gallagher and Cullen came to the party. 
    Hard to get that many touches when most of the time the ball bypasses him on its way towards Stockley's head.

What we need to do is get a midfielder further forward closer to Stockley or another striker to play off him.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

44:20 TS talks about signing more players.

https://youtu.be/WR_usTRtvJ0

3:35 NA does the same.

https://twitter.com/cafcofficial/status/1426587246891868173?s=21

It couldn’t be made clearer that they’re fully aware we need several signings.

I agree more players will come but I don't get the impression it will be 'several'.
    Maybe “a few” would be better? Either way I expect at least 3 and hopefully more than that.

3 would be nowhere near enough 
    Depends on the amount of spaces available, think it was quoted previously that we had 4 left to fill to the allowed amount under the wonderful EFL rules
  • wmcf123 said:
    Southbank said:

What we need and what Tommy is prepared to pay for now seem to be widely apart. Adkins gone by Xmas?
    I dont understand this. We have paid fees for 2 players. We were set to sign the player from wigan but he failed a medical, he would not have come cheap in terms of wages and a signing on fee. Famewo might only be a loan but most premier league teams charge loan fee’s? We’ve already agreed a fee to make the deal permanent.

without fully understand what Tommy has paid and what else we have lined up, makes this comment ridiculous 
    Stockley, Clare, DJ, Kirk and Schwartz must be close to 1.5m in transfer fees in 2021. I bet there's not many league one clubs who have spent more in that time.
    I meant this season, not realising that Clare cost a transfer fee. But your list does aid my point, Tommy has spent money on the squad and for other posters to question Tommy’s outlay is pathetic.  We could always ask southall to come back with his supa dupa phone
    Maybe for all of his grinning and positivity, Adkins isn’t up to it . 
    50% win rate over the 10 games last season. We have started against sheff wed and Oxford! We have the same points as ipswich who have played moreCombe and burton. But yet Adkins is now getting written off?? That comment is as ridiculous as calling out Tommy for not spending enough cash.
    Remind me how we did against Burton last year....?
    Remind me who a lot of people on here think will run away with the league?  Last year is irrelevant, how did we do against the massives.....they were a league above, which proves the point that a 0-0 against them isnt a bad result.  Are you saying that Burton and Morecombe is a tougher start than Sheff w and Oxford?
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    So we all agree we need a decent attacking left back / LWB

The top assister in the position in L2 last season was Exeter's 20 year old left back Jack Sparkes.  He's pretty strong, quite tricky and has a lovely left foot.  Decent crossing ability - a smattering of goals in there too.  Young.  He fits the bill....only problem is he was stretchered off yesterday with a suspected broken collar bone and I have no idea how quickly they heal!

Looks like a decent fit for us though as, until yesterday, he hadn't missed much action and gets a good number of crosses in.

Go get him MR Gallen
    I assume with all these really class players Exeter had last season they ran away with the 4th divison? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Ethan Galbraith?

I have never heard of him but apparently we are intrested in a season long loan. 

Could be a Levitt, could be a Gallagher 🤷‍♂️
    Cross this one off @Dazzler21, gone to Doncaster. 
  • edited August 2021
    wmcf123 said:
    Southbank said:

Stockley, Clare, DJ, Kirk and Schwartz must be close to 1.5m in transfer fees in 2021. I bet there's not many league one clubs who have spent more in that time.
    I meant this season, not realising that Clare cost a transfer fee. But your list does aid my point, Tommy has spent money on the squad and for other posters to question Tommy’s outlay is pathetic.  We could always ask southall to come back with his supa dupa phone
    50% win rate over the 10 games last season. We have started against sheff wed and Oxford! We have the same points as ipswich who have played moreCombe and burton. But yet Adkins is now getting written off?? That comment is as ridiculous as calling out Tommy for not spending enough cash.
    Remind me how we did against Burton last year....?
    Remind me who a lot of people on here think will run away with the league?  Last year is irrelevant, how did we do against the massives.....they were a league above, which proves the point that a 0-0 against them isnt a bad result.  Are you saying that Burton and Morecombe is a tougher start than Sheff w and Oxford?
    For us probably. We don't generally do well against newly promoted teams & Burton, as I alluded to in my first post, were hard to beat last season. 

As they say.......there are no easy games & I doubt we would have done any better against any 2 teams you would care to mention. 
  • Where did Lewis Page play if Sparkes was Exeter’s left back?
  • Swisdom said:

The top assister in the position in L2 last season was Exeter's 20 year old left back Jack Sparkes.  He's pretty strong, quite tricky and has a lovely left foot.  Decent crossing ability - a smattering of goals in there too.  Young.  He fits the bill....only problem is he was stretchered off yesterday with a suspected broken collar bone and I have no idea how quickly they heal!

Looks like a decent fit for us though as, until yesterday, he hadn't missed much action and gets a good number of crosses in.

Go get him MR Gallen
    Saw the league 1 goals earlier & Wimbledon seem to have picked up a good left sided player from Watford. Scored their 3rd (which was the equaliser) but I keep being told that Premier League loanees only join on transfer deadline day 🤔.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

Go get him MR Gallen
    I assume with all these really class players Exeter had last season they ran away with the 4th divison? 
    They finished 3 points off the playoffs, so maybe just needed to keep the squad together and make a few good signings? Our season was similar and wasn’t that what you said we needed (rather than a total rebuild)?
  • Scoham said:
    Where did Lewis Page play if Sparkes was Exeter’s left back?
    Just had a quick look and it seems in the games they both played Page was left back and Sparkes was left midfield.
  • Swisdom said:

Go get him MR Gallen
    Have you got the right player?  Only played left back last season between November and January when Page was injured.  Missed almost a whole season with a knee injury and only has 6 assists in his career?

Played the rest of the games either wide midfield or as a sub for Page. 
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

Go get him MR Gallen
    They finished 3 points off the playoffs, so maybe just needed to keep the squad together and make a few good signings? Our season was similar and wasn’t that what you said we needed (rather than a total rebuild)?
    Fair point but at the same time I don't think many Reading fans would have been excited about signing any of our players last summer, which is the fair comparison.

This is the 3rd Exeter player mentioned. 
  • We need to find ourselves a Cullen and Bielik quality loanees for midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

Go get him MR Gallen
    Fair point but at the same time I don't think many Reading fans would have been excited about signing any of our players last summer, which is the fair comparison.

Their fans might not be excited but that doesn’t mean there weren’t one or two players who could make the step up.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

Go get him MR Gallen

We finished outside the League One playoffs on goal difference yet Aneke went to Birmingham, Maatsen went to Coventry and Millar went to FC Basel

Three Charlton players who have moved up to a higher division so why is it unrealistic for a similar situation at Exeter?
  • Scoham said:
    Where did Lewis Page play if Sparkes was Exeter’s left back?
    Treatment room probably
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

Go get him MR Gallen

We finished outside the League One playoffs on goal difference yet Aneke went to Birmingham, Maatsen went to Coventry and Millar went to FC Basel

Three Charlton players who have moved up to a higher division so why is it unrealistic for a similar situation at Exeter?
    Because 2 Exeter players have already gone to the championship, the comparison would be if ours went to the prem.   

I have no idea how good Exeters players are/were but it's the hypocrisy, from more than a few people, that our players were all "dog shit" and Exeters are better.

I don't think Basel nor a championship club would have bought Millar or Maatsen on their performances for us, it's more their pedigree.  But that's a different point all together. 
  • Get a left back in (Omole from Spurs?) and a decent wing player (Sims still out there?) as well as getting Gilbey and Purrington back in the squad and things start to look a lot better.

Would love to see a side like this…

—————Stockley
    Sims ——Kirk ——— Jaiyesimi
    ———————Gilbey
    —————Dobson
    Omole Famewo Inniss Matthews
    ————MacGillivray

Subs: GK, Gunter, Pearce, Clare, Morgan, Clayden, Washington
  • wmcf123 said:
    Southbank said:

Strange ain't it, when things don't go just so, blame the manager, he is just an east target and it seems first in line for any abuse, but this goes a lot deeper than Nige, he wants it as much as the next man but can only work with the tools at his disposal, so recruitment team, step up and try to give him something to work with if possible, I know we are only 2 games in but we can't slip too far behind.
    That’s not a bad first eleven . No depth, sure . 
  • Five points dropped which after two games might not be considered a disaster, but as we know from last season very small margins can make a massive difference. We need to do much much better to even have a sniff of promotion.
    True, but as Blackpool showed, getting the right team together, playing the way you want, with a consistent core 11 that isn't ravaged by injury or messed around with new formations, is key. You need to build and keep momentum, but as it stands it all rests on who we bring in and then really playing an imposing style of football (I have been disappointed as I thought we would have been a much more aggressive pressing unit from the off.)
  • edited August 2021
    Five points dropped which after two games might not be considered a disaster, but as we know from last season very small margins can make a massive difference. We need to do much much better to even have a sniff of promotion.
    Absolutely. Extrapolating those results through the season, we’ll have 23 points (definite relegation) and Sunderland will have 138 points.
    Ah sarcasm. My point is we failed to get top six by one goal last season. Every point every goal matters. The top four currently are all tipped to be top six contenders and were already five points adrift. Not important ? Wouldnt you rather they being five points behind us. We’ve got off to a very indifferent start and not looking good at all. Still very salvageable but five players have to come in and click. Dead easy. Our pre season has be awful from a management perspective 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!