Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Sage said:
    He’s not good enough and that is ultimately the crux of the matter.
    Totally disagree. He has played well in both full back positions. Cleared off the line on Tuesday and played significantly better than all but one of the U23 players. Young and much to improve. 
  • I don't care what his name is or who is dad is it is whether or not he is good enough. The fact that a RB is playing LB suggests the manager doesn't think he is ready yet. And it doesn't change the fact that we need a LB who comes in ahead of Purrington or is his back up. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Roddy has been fast tracked to the first team because with Purringtons injury and Gunter being a right back, there's not a lot of other options. He played in a cup game alongside a load of other youngsters, everyone needs to chill out about if he's good enough, he'll clearly be an under 23's player once we (hopefully) fill out the squad
    I mean Oguntayo is another option... 

Personally I'd prefer he gets a shot. 
  • Sage said:
    Think Roddy been one of the shining lights alongside Diji Clayden   In pre season .. deserves his chance on merit … this thing with his dad is just totally ridiculous.. end of the day SG director of football and in charge of the football side .. NA will decide if a player is good enough to get a contact ….
  • Addickted said:
    I thought Gunter had a good game against the Massive.
    I agree completely, I aired my views on him last season and thought bottom line he was crap for us.
    Last Saturday he was excellent and looked fitter, better attitude and work rate. 
    Long may it continue 
  • Gunter is a solid option there. A nice backup/3rd option.

What we really struggled with against Wednesday was getting any overlaps/wing play going. Gunter had to keep checking back (which you can’t blame him for)

That style nullifies out most dangerous Player (Stockley) and also means our CAM (Morgan) is continually dropping deep to pick up those passes.

I feel we’d be missing a trick not trying for a left footed attacking LB on loan to split games with Purrington. Getting the right player is obviously hard, but that’s probably why it’s taking so long.
  • edited August 2021
    Sage said:
     Sage said:
    Based on what period of evaluation? Do you seriously suggest Avory is prone to supporting such a basic version of alleged nepotism? Perhaps we should revisit Barker whose dad used to work for the club?

Are you suggesting that is how the Academy works?
    I’m suggesting he’s not good enough, bottom line.

Doesn’t matter about other players, Barker has been around the club for a while and was important to the U18s success last season, he’s proved himself around the club. We have/had young players better than Roddy and to many it looks like he’s been fast tracked to the first team.

I am not saying anything against the academy or Avory, you mentioned him, not me. My point is Roddy is not good enough whether he is 18 or 23, his age is irrelevant, he shouldn’t be near the first team set up right now.
    So because he had trial and got selected for our development squad, then due to injuries played a couple of pre-season friendlies, then was selected by the manager to play in a no nothing cup competition you think he shouldn't play?

You gonna say the same about Barker who is the son of ex-coaching staff? What about Varney's son? Leaburn - both parents with Charlton connections? 

The kid is 18, he was chucked in along with some other kids to give them a taste of 'Mens football'. Let's right him off before he's even started his career. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Dazzler21 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Roddy has been fast tracked to the first team because with Purringtons injury and Gunter being a right back, there's not a lot of other options. He played in a cup game alongside a load of other youngsters, everyone needs to chill out about if he's good enough, he'll clearly be an under 23's player once we (hopefully) fill out the squad

And may well be that attacking left back we're looking for, if only we had a preseason and "no nothing" cup game to blood him in.

Oh....
  • We cannot continue to play Gunter at left back. He slows down any play down that side by having to come onto his stronger foot. Any time he tried to use his left last Saturday it went out for a throw.
    To be fair he probably slows the play down on his good side aswell!!😂. Joking apart we were all up in arms with players out of position last season, so need to show consistency in our views.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why haven't we signed another LB? 

This summer we've signed Roddy in that position and no-one else. Just curious that it is the case when it's our biggest need. 
  • Jesus what’s wrong with people and jumping to conclusions and saying about who he is related to when I haven’t mentioned the relationship at all?

He’s not good enough and as I said at the very start, that’s the bottom line. Yes, he’s been involved more due to Purrington being injured but he was involved regardless. I’ve said he’s not good enough to be in and amongst the first team, there really is nothing more to my point than that.

Others have brought up Barker, I replied about him. Not said anything about Leaburn or anyone because it’s completely irrelevant to the actual point on whether he is good enough to be involved in the first place.
  • edited August 2021
    Crusty54 said:
    Sage said:
    Totally disagree. He has played well in both full back positions. Cleared off the line on Tuesday and played significantly better than all but one of the U23 players. Young and much to improve. 
    And I disagree with you, I must have been watching a different player then, he wasn’t totally pants but he wasn’t that special either . Gunter is a far better option allbeit on his less favoured side at LB.
  • Sage said:
    Jesus what’s wrong with people and jumping to conclusions and saying about who he is related to when I haven’t mentioned the relationship at all?

He’s not good enough and as I said at the very start, that’s the bottom line. Yes, he’s been involved more due to Purrington being injured but he was involved regardless. I’ve said he’s not good enough to be in and amongst the first team, there really is nothing more to my point than that.

Others have brought up Barker, I replied about him. Not said anything about Leaburn or anyone because it’s completely irrelevant to the actual point on whether he is good enough to be involved in the first place.
    Welcome to Charlton Life 2021.
  • RedChaser said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Sage said:
    And I disagree with you, I must have been watching a different player then, he wasn’t totally pants but he wasn’t that special either . Gunter is a far better option allbeit on his less favoured side.
    Opinions are funny though, a Charlton fan at work and I totally disagreed against sheff. Wed. , I thought Albie wasn’t very good( but I don’t think he is anyway), and Clare was ok and showed me some promise. Where as he thought completely the opposite and was actually raving about Albie!!. Opinions for you!!!!😂
  • edited August 2021
    paulfox said:
    RedChaser said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Sage said:
    And I disagree with you, I must have been watching a different player then, he wasn’t totally pants but he wasn’t that special either . Gunter is a far better option allbeit on his less favoured side.
    Opinions are funny though, a Charlton fan at work and I totally disagreed against sheff. Wed. , I thought Albie wasn’t very good( but I don’t think he is anyway), and Clare was ok and showed me some promise. Where as he thought completely the opposite and was actually raving about Albie!!. Opinions for you!!!!😂
    I’m with you on Morgan if it makes you feel vindicated mate. The trouble is some fans just won’t have a bad word said about our youngsters but I’m afraid I judge them on their performance I’ll give them credit when it’s due and criticise as appropriate.
  • RedChaser said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Sage said:
    And I disagree with you, I must have been watching a different player then, he wasn’t totally pants but he wasn’t that special either . Gunter is a far better option allbeit on his less favoured side at LB.
    Agree with Crusty54
  • Do people honestly think the club haven't been trying to get a LB? 

Seems to me some would be happy for the club to go and get any old LB just for the sake of it regardless of if they are any good or not.

Personally I would rather they wait for the right person to become available, if that's deadline day then so be it.

Some also seem to think we are a bigger club than we actually are, yes we are big club in league 1 terms but let's face it we have been bang average for over a decade now so it should come as no surprise that players chose other clubs over us.

Whilst I agree we are clearly lacking in a couple of areas on the pitch and Thomas was naive in saying we will tear up the league this season I'm just glad I still have a club to support as let's be honest we probably wouldn't have if Thomas hadn't persevered and saved us from the inevitable under ESI.

• RedChaser said:
    paulfox said:
    RedChaser said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Sage said:
    I’m with you on Morgan if it makes you feel vindicated mate. The trouble is some fans just won’t have a bad word said about our youngsters but I’m afraid I judge them on their performance I’ll give them credit when it’s due and criticise as appropriate.
    I would love for him to prove me wrong and really end up being top notch, but I feel although not at all old, he should be better than he is now. Which is why I don’t particularly rate him. In my view he should be having more of a positive influence on the game with good quality than he does, hes’s not a newcomer making his way anymore.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    cazo said:
    Come on all rumours only 🙏
    If this was rumours only it'd be about 5 pages long
    And?
  • paulfox said:
    RedChaser said:
    paulfox said:
    RedChaser said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Sage said:
    I would love for him to prove me wrong and really end up being top notch, but I feel although not at all old, he should be better than he is now. Which is why I don’t particularly rate him. In my view he should be having more of a positive influence on the game with good quality than he does, hes’s not a newcomer making his way anymore.
    Agreed however he hasn’t been given the number 10 shirt for nothing. This is a big make or break season for him hope he proves us wrong.
  • RedChaser said:
    paulfox said:
    RedChaser said:
    paulfox said:
    RedChaser said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Sage said:
    Agreed however he hasn’t been given the number 10 shirt for nothing. This is a big make or break season for him hope he proves us wrong.
    Would have definitely started to change my mind if he’d of at least have hit the target against Wednesday!!.😂
  • seth plum said:
    Roddy is very young. We have frequent discussions regarding the progress of young players (be circumspect when observing Deji’s progress), and the same consideration should be extended to Jacob Roddy. Being his father’s son ought not to be in the equation, goodness knows what happens if Miles Leaburn ever has an indifferent game in the first team.

There should be no one with the audacity to have a go at Miles Leaburn. Considering who his parents are that would be like having a pop at Jesus.
  • edited August 2021
    paulfox said:
    RedChaser said:
    paulfox said:
    RedChaser said:
    paulfox said:
    RedChaser said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Sage said:
    Would have definitely started to change my mind if he’d of at least have hit the target against Wednesday!!.😂
    His work rate and energy levels are good and defensively he’s improved a lot, he just needs to compose / steady himself and stop trying to bust the net. He can take a decent set piece but he’s inconsistent with his delivery. No doubt the management team are working hard with him on this. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    sam3110 said:

He's played right wing and as a second striker in at least 2 of the under 23 games last season, though he can play left back (predominantly as he's left footed), I don't think the club really see him as one
  • Do people honestly think the club haven't been trying to get a LB? 

Seems to me some would be happy for the club to go and get any old LB just for the sake of it regardless of if they are any good or not.

Personally I would rather they wait for the right person to become available, if that's deadline day then so be it.

Some also seem to think we are a bigger club than we actually are, yes we are big club in league 1 terms but let's face it we have been bang average for over a decade now so it should come as no surprise that players chose other clubs over us.

Whilst I agree we are clearly lacking in a couple of areas on the pitch and Thomas was naive in saying we will tear up the league this season I'm just glad I still have a club to support as let's be honest we probably wouldn't have if Thomas hadn't persevered and saved us from the inevitable under ESI.

We've literally loaned in our last 3 LBs. 

Purrington, Da Silva and Maatsen didn't seem too bad. 
  • Addickted said:
    I thought Gunter had a good game against the Massive.
    He might have done ok, but he's not going to run down the line & put a cross in on his left.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!