Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Addickted said:
    I thought Gunter had a good game against the Massive.
    He did but Gunter is a seasoned international who has played when necessary at left back for Wales. He’s perfectly capable of filling in at left back in an emergency but he’s not the answer to the season. As I wrote just above we’ve known that left back is a problem for a long time. It’s remiss for us not to have addressed it a little earlier.
  • Sage said:
     Sage said:
    He’s not good enough and that is ultimately the crux of the matter.
    Based on what period of evaluation? Do you seriously suggest Avory is prone to supporting such a basic version of alleged nepotism? Perhaps we should revisit Barker whose dad used to work for the club?

Are you suggesting that is how the Academy works?
    I’m suggesting he’s not good enough, bottom line.

Doesn’t matter about other players, Barker has been around the club for a while and was important to the U18s success last season, he’s proved himself around the club. We have/had young players better than Roddy and to many it looks like he’s been fast tracked to the first team.

I am not saying anything against the academy or Avory, you mentioned him, not me. My point is Roddy is not good enough whether he is 18 or 23, his age is irrelevant, he shouldn’t be near the first team set up right now.
    Don’t be ridiculous. The entire flavour of the debate over Jacob Roddy is to suggest he only got the contract because of his Dad. That is nepotism. Do you want me to repeat that? Whatever the influence of any senior executive nepotism can only exist if others allow it to exist. The only people who can allow that is the Head of the Academy who sanctioned the contract or the Club Manager who has chosen to select him.

Thus your comments can do nothing but reflect on Avory.
    What other left backs are currently at the club ? That’s important because if Jacob has jumped ahead of them then we should be able to see why on the pitch. I don’t mean Purrington of course who is injured.
  • Let's face it every thing footballing wise has been directed by Roddy since he arrived. 

That is kinda he's job!

But no doubt he couldn't wait to get Bowyer out, instrumental in bringing Adkins in, playing up the youth through the first team & getting his son in the club...

Definitely nepotism, but both Adkins and Avory are also seeing what they want happening with the club, so are going to leanient to the kid.

Jacob can only be judged on what he does, but the club just may be fairer on him than most...
  • Sage said:
     Sage said:
    Based on what period of evaluation? Do you seriously suggest Avory is prone to supporting such a basic version of alleged nepotism? Perhaps we should revisit Barker whose dad used to work for the club?

Doesn’t matter about other players, Barker has been around the club for a while and was important to the U18s success last season, he’s proved himself around the club. We have/had young players better than Roddy and to many it looks like he’s been fast tracked to the first team.

I am not saying anything against the academy or Avory, you mentioned him, not me. My point is Roddy is not good enough whether he is 18 or 23, his age is irrelevant, he shouldn’t be near the first team set up right now.
    Don’t be ridiculous. The entire flavour of the debate over Jacob Roddy is to suggest he only got the contract because of his Dad. That is nepotism. Do you want me to repeat that? Whatever the influence of any senior executive nepotism can only exist if others allow it to exist. The only people who can allow that is the Head of the Academy who sanctioned the contract or the Club Manager who has chosen to select him.

What other left backs are currently at the club ? That’s important because if Jacob has jumped ahead of them then we should be able to see why on the pitch. I don’t mean Purrington of course who is injured.
    What happened to Guarande? Last I heard he was linked with Watford. We signed Oguntayo? You don’t think at this time of year there will be queue of young left backs screaming for a contract?
  • edited August 2021
    How about Barker as right back cover? From Hunters interview last week it seems Matthews would be covering left back if he and Gunter had agreed that way instead
  • Sage said:
     Sage said:

What happened to Guarande? Last I heard he was linked with Watford. We signed Oguntayo? You don’t think at this time of year there will be queue of young left backs screaming for a contract?
    That’s not addressed my question has it. Q: Are there other left backs at the club and if there are more than just Jacob can we be satisfied that he is ahead of all of them in terms of development.
  • Roddy has been fast tracked to the first team because with Purringtons injury and Gunter being a right back, there's not a lot of other options. He played in a cup game alongside a load of other youngsters, everyone needs to chill out about if he's good enough, he'll clearly be an under 23's player once we (hopefully) fill out the squad
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    Roddy has been fast tracked to the first team because with Purringtons injury and Gunter being a right back, there's not a lot of other options. He played in a cup game alongside a load of other youngsters, everyone needs to chill out about if he's good enough, he'll clearly be an under 23's player once we (hopefully) fill out the squad
    My question remains. Is after Purrington, Jacob the best left back at the club ? 
  • All kicking off again :-(
  • sam3110 said:
    Roddy has been fast tracked to the first team because with Purringtons injury and Gunter being a right back, there's not a lot of other options. He played in a cup game alongside a load of other youngsters, everyone needs to chill out about if he's good enough, he'll clearly be an under 23's player once we (hopefully) fill out the squad
    My question remains. Is after Purrington, Jacob the best left back at the club ? 
    Right now, if Oguntayo isn't viewed as a left back, then probably

• Sage said:
     Sage said:

I believe Kai Garande was offered a contract but turned it down. Last I heard QPR were showing interest. I’m not sure if Roddy signed as a direct replacement or not.
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
     Sage said:

The entire tone of your comments suggest he has no right being anywhere near the club. For someone who seemingly works in and around the club I view such contribution on a public forum views as entirely inappropriate.

I’m not being ridiculous, you’re making this into something it is quite clearly not. My comment was he’s not good enough and that is ultimately the crux of the matter. Nowhere have I said anything about the academy, Avory or anyone else. I wasn’t involved in the original debate about who his Dad is or anything else. You’re making it about that. All I have said is he not good enough and to many it looks like he’s been fast tracked to the first team set up. Again, not anywhere did I mention who he is related to or about the academy.

You also don’t know my role, and my role has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion that he is not at the level of the first team. I am supporter of Charlton Athletic Football Club and what I do in my personal or working life has no influence on my opinion of a standard of a player. It’s not Jacob’s fault on any of this, and I am not being horrible towards him. There is nothing to say against that in 2/3 years he will develop into a good player, but right now he is not good enough and that was my point. So please don’t get on your high horse about any other matter that was completely unrelated to my post.
    Thank you for your clarification. I did nothing but respond to your comments. You chose to put them in the public domain without any of the qualification you have now added which communicate a very different message.
  • Come on all rumours only 🙏
  • cazo said:
    Come on all rumours only 🙏
    If this was rumours only it'd be about 5 pages long
  • edited August 2021
    Who was the last player we signed from such a low level that Roddy was playing who then got first team game time almost immediately?  I mean something feels very strange about it to me.

Maybe Lookman was similar level but he took 6months or so scoring regularly for the kids before his promotion and was a special talent.  Same with Aribo.

I have never seen the kid play so no idea if he is at the same level as those two but posters who know their stuff on here clearly don't think so.

• Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Right now, if Oguntayo isn't viewed as a left back, then probably
    Thanks for that. On that basis I don’t see that much of a problem with Jacob being pushed into pre season friendlies. I would be concerned if it was more than that and I expect we’ll be seeing a left wing back loan in due course.
  • Grow up guys ffs, I swear people just love to complain. If Purrington didn't get injured then no way would Roddy even be on the bench.

There is 0 doubt in my mind we will have signed another LB before the end of the window also.
  • Neo and Morpheus are fighting! 
  • Grow up guys ffs, I swear people just love to complain. If Purrington didn't get injured then no way would Roddy even be on the bench.

There is 0 doubt in my mind we will have signed another LB before the end of the window also.
    People have debate over football players ability on football forum shock.

My personal opinion is that if his dad was not Ged Roddy, then he wouldn't have been anywhere near anyone's radar to play for the club.
    It's the moaning though. Fine to say he's not good enough as Sage has, it's just the constant negativity and whining about the club this thread seems to bring out from people. There's more moaning these days than there was when the club was in dire straits.
  • I’m thinking Ged maybe has told the physios to delay Purrington’s recovery and to try and break Gunter too.

In all seriousness though, whilst I don’t think he’s good enough, it’ll only be a problem if he starts league games. It definitely helps that his dad is high up in the club, but I don’t think he’ll ever feature for us in the league.
  • Sage said:
     Sage said:

Kai was either released or didn’t sign a new deal so left.  Last time I heard he was on trial at QPR.
  • Roddy is very young. We have frequent discussions regarding the progress of young players (be circumspect when observing Deji’s progress), and the same consideration should be extended to Jacob Roddy. Being his father’s son ought not to be in the equation, goodness knows what happens if Miles Leaburn ever has an indifferent game in the first team.
  • In the current edition of Voice of the Valley, Rick says that Roddy is Ged's son

Wait, so Ged’s son is called Roddy Roddy? I thought his name was Jacob.

AUN, I was at the Valley on Tuesday night and saw young Mr Roddy leave after the match. He was wearing a jacket which had so many different hues, it really stood out.

I saw Jacob and his coat of many Colours.
  • seth plum said:
    Roddy is very young. We have frequent discussions regarding the progress of young players (be circumspect when observing Deji’s progress), and the same consideration should be extended to Jacob Roddy. Being his father’s son ought not to be in the equation, goodness knows what happens if Miles Leaburn ever has an indifferent game in the first team.
    Why ? His dad did 😉
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!