Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:
    So we all agree we need a decent attacking left back / LWB

The top assister in the position in L2 last season was Exeter's 20 year old left back Jack Sparkes.  He's pretty strong, quite tricky and has a lovely left foot.  Decent crossing ability - a smattering of goals in there too.  Young.  He fits the bill....only problem is he was stretchered off yesterday with a suspected broken collar bone and I have no idea how quickly they heal!

Looks like a decent fit for us though as, until yesterday, he hadn't missed much action and gets a good number of crosses in.

Go get him MR Gallen
    I assume with all these really class players Exeter had last season they ran away with the 4th divison? 
    They finished 3 points off the playoffs, so maybe just needed to keep the squad together and make a few good signings? Our season was similar and wasn’t that what you said we needed (rather than a total rebuild)?
    Fair point but at the same time I don't think many Reading fans would have been excited about signing any of our players last summer, which is the fair comparison.

This is the 3rd Exeter player mentioned. 
    The difference being all of the Exeter players mentioned are young and top prospects from their well-respected academy. 

If we had a young academy player playing every week in men’s football, I’m sure Reading fans would be more than happy to take them off us.

• Didn't Adkins Southampton promotion team start off slowly, and looks bang average for about 6 weeks, and then clicked?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

The top assister in the position in L2 last season was Exeter's 20 year old left back Jack Sparkes.  He's pretty strong, quite tricky and has a lovely left foot.  Decent crossing ability - a smattering of goals in there too.  Young.  He fits the bill....only problem is he was stretchered off yesterday with a suspected broken collar bone and I have no idea how quickly they heal!

Looks like a decent fit for us though as, until yesterday, he hadn't missed much action and gets a good number of crosses in.

Go get him MR Gallen
    I assume with all these really class players Exeter had last season they ran away with the 4th divison? 
    They finished 3 points off the playoffs, so maybe just needed to keep the squad together and make a few good signings? Our season was similar and wasn’t that what you said we needed (rather than a total rebuild)?
    Fair point but at the same time I don't think many Reading fans would have been excited about signing any of our players last summer, which is the fair comparison.

The difference being all of the Exeter players mentioned are young and top prospects from their well-respected academy. 

If we had a young academy player playing every week in men’s football, I’m sure Reading fans would be more than happy to take them off us.

Williams isn't any of that but never mind.  And this latest one suggested appears to have spent most of last season as back up to Lewis Page and filling in where needed. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

Go get him MR Gallen
    When a team does well it doesn’t need 11 players in the top 2 of their position.  The stats show he was decent and he managed 42 appearances in the season.  
    Maybe the better players have too many “fillers” around them to make the playoffs.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

Go get him MR Gallen

Williams isn't any of that but never mind.  And this latest one suggested appears to have spent most of last season as back up to Lewis Page and filling in where needed. 
    Sparkes played 42 games for 2720 minutes.
    page managed 32 games totalling 2054 minutes

that does not make him a backup

Page was not on the stats for Assists iirc but then I wasn’t necessarily looking for him either 

Sparkes is younger, has a better injury history and is unlikely to cost mega money
  • edited August 2021
    Swisdom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

Go get him MR Gallen

Page was not on the stats for Assists iirc but then I wasn’t necessarily looking for him either 

Sparkes is younger, has a better injury history and is unlikely to cost mega money
    He started 13 games at left back last season, getting 1 assist.

He started 8 games at Left Mid and 6 games at Right Mid.

Of the 13 games at left back 12 were when Page was injured between the end of November and the start of February.

He missed half of the 19/20 season through injury and the games he did play he played in midfield. 

If you were suggesting him to come in as part of the u23s and a back up left back now and one for the future but to solve our 1st team left back problem?

Or am I looking at a completely different player?

Edit his manager doesn't think he is a left back and was poor last season.....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/make-break-seasons-exeter-city-5457593.amp
  • Swisdom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

Go get him MR Gallen

Looks like Sparkes was moved to right midfield once Lewis Page come back from injury around Christmas. He then didn’t really play that much the last few games.
  • Rothko said:
    Didn't Adkins Southampton promotion team start off slowly, and looks bang average for about 6 weeks, and then clicked?
    Yup. Lost and drew first two games. 
    First 6 games, lost 4, drew 1, won 1. 
    Gained 27 points from last 10 games, including 6 wins in a row to end the season. 
  • Rothko said:
    Didn't Adkins Southampton promotion team start off slowly, and looks bang average for about 6 weeks, and then clicked?
    Gained 27 points from last 10 games, including 6 wins in a row to end the season. 
    Did he have his squad ready from the off though? If we're accepting we're not going to have our squad sorted til game 5, is that another 6 games for them to gel?
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

Go get him MR Gallen

We finished outside the League One playoffs on goal difference yet Aneke went to Birmingham, Maatsen went to Coventry and Millar went to FC Basel

Three Charlton players who have moved up to a higher division so why is it unrealistic for a similar situation at Exeter?
    Seeing as though Maatsen was Chelsea and Miller Liverpool (and not Charltons) you'd argue moving to Coventry and Basel is actually a step down from them. 
  • edited August 2021
    995632 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

Go get him MR Gallen

We finished outside the League One playoffs on goal difference yet Aneke went to Birmingham, Maatsen went to Coventry and Millar went to FC Basel

Three Charlton players who have moved up to a higher division so why is it unrealistic for a similar situation at Exeter?
    Seeing as though Maatsen was Chelsea and Miller Liverpool (and not Charltons) you'd argue moving to Coventry and Basel is actually a step down from them. 
    Not really, it’s a step up from the level they played first team football at last season. Neither are good enough for the Prem, at least not yet.
  • edited August 2021
    Rothko said:
    He didn't get the job until a couple of days before game game 6 though.  He didn't sign anyone until January mainly loans, including Dale Stephens and Danny N’Guessan. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Southbank said:
    Think window is going very similar to the January window. 

The fans can clearly see where we need players in, the management and recruitment team are the only ones that don't. 

Everyone knew we needed a CB in that window, just like everyone knows we need a LB, AM, ST and 3 others in this one. 
    What we need and what Tommy is prepared to pay for now seem to be widely apart. Adkins gone by Xmas?
    I dont understand this. We have paid fees for 2 players. We were set to sign the player from wigan but he failed a medical, he would not have come cheap in terms of wages and a signing on fee. Famewo might only be a loan but most premier league teams charge loan fee’s? We’ve already agreed a fee to make the deal permanent.

without fully understand what Tommy has paid and what else we have lined up, makes this comment ridiculous 
    Stockley, Clare, DJ, Kirk and Schwartz must be close to 1.5m in transfer fees in 2021. I bet there's not many league one clubs who have spent more in that time.
    The signing on fee is not the whole equation. Wednesday have had a transfer embargo but had signed 12 non-fee players on top money and have more to come according to reports. As a club that appeared to be pot-less only a few months ago, it begs the question, where is the money coming from. Surely they must be risking administration if they don't go up. 
    I think I read their fans saying their owner had a temporary embargo on taking money out of his home country (Thailand maybe?), but that has now been lifted so they are rich again.  May be wrong.

Yeah I saw this from one of the Wednesday fans that posts on here that Chansiri couldn't get the money out of Thailand and it wasn't that he didn't have the money 

Rich Thais do not keep all their money in Thailand! So much business is done under the table that offshore accounts are the norm.
  • We'll see, I'll be surprised if all the signings we bring in come in purely as cover.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    We'll see, I'll be surprised if all the signings we bring in come in purely as cover.
    Part of the ‘deal’ with bringing in the loans is the host club will expect / insist they get game time. 
  • Scoham said:
    We'll see, I'll be surprised if all the signings we bring in come in purely as cover.
    Part of the ‘deal’ with bringing in the loans is the host club will expect / insist they get game time. 
    There is a lot of football to be played. I agree clubs will want their players playing but I don't think we'd have any issue selling playing time to a club for a CB, CM/CAM or winger. The only one I think we'd struggle with is a striker with people knowing Stockley is the lone front man. 
  • Scoham said:
    I think it depends where the club see the player tbh.  I doubt we got much kick back from not playing Levitt.  It will be intresting though if we get another player form United, City or Arsenal after we didn't play the last loans.

If your taking Stockley or a Davies type loan I doubt the parent club give a monkeys if you play them or not.  Chelsea didn't seem that bothered we didn't play JDS much in his first loan spell and they sent him back.  In the flip side if we hadn't played Millar Liverpool would have been fuming. 

For the youngest players being part of the preparation during the week and the fact it matters come game day is completely different to youth football.  No matter how hard you try to integrate kids with "the group" it's not the same if they know they have no chance of playing at all.   Even being dropped or left out is probably good for some of them, who have been told by everyone for the last 10 years how brilliant they are. 

• What kind of offer would it take to get Assal from Wimbledon?
  • What kind of offer would it take to get Assal from Wimbledon?
    Signed a three year deal over the summer. Is that the sort of player we should be looking for right now, got talent but a massive gamble if we are looking for him to be a key player. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    We need a minimum of 5 more players, we needed 7 and have since signed Clare and Kirk.  2 of them have to be absolute starters in CM and LB.  We then need another winger, striker and CB. 

Really want to see that RCB Come in for when Innis breaks down, needs to be a perm  with that potential, Tucker who's had a mention for example and then the LB and CM/CAM

We're all going mad for a forward and winger and what we still need this season as a priority but look beyond... Our entire defence as it stands now, is out of contract next summer, I doubt we'll be signing Famewo if we're still in league one, and should Inniss have another injury hit season, why retain him. So then that's yet another massive summer overhaul, building a whole new defence won't be easy in any division.

RCB 
    LB
    CM/CAM
    Forward
  • So no rumours then?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!