Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• I'd be very impressed if we got Jephcott simply because i can't believe he'd have no Championship interest.
    Why, I thought there was Championship interest in Kirk and we got him.
  • I'd be very impressed if we got Jephcott simply because i can't believe he'd have no Championship interest.
    A good piece by a Crewe analyst pointed out that while Kirk is proving to be consistent, he has a lower ceilling than Lowery/Dale so those are the two more likely to get Championship interest now. Kirk on the other hand could probably hold his own (or so they said) but isn't a standout star like the other two.
  • Chunes said:
    Morgan had two really good chances in the last league game. If he keeps getting into those areas I can't see how he wouldn't score 5. He would have to be one of the worst finishers ever. 
    On Saturday he was!
    Saturday he should have done better

but from what i have seen through our teams in the past, the players who can finish try to, those who can't faff on the ball in the box and fail to pass it to someone who can finish.

I would be surprised if WHEN he finds the net, it's not followed by a few more.
  • Vfrf said:
    I'd be very impressed if we got Jephcott simply because i can't believe he'd have no Championship interest.
    A good piece by a Crewe analyst pointed out that while Kirk is proving to be consistent, he has a lower ceilling than Lowery/Dale so those are the two more likely to get Championship interest now. Kirk on the other hand could probably hold his own (or so they said) but isn't a standout star like the other two.
    I wonder if we're in for Lowery, I think he got a fair few assists last season.
  • Following this thread from the start has set me wondering where we would be with this summer's team rebuild if we had made it into the Championship at the close of last season.
    Despite injuries and poor form during the middle part of the season, we weren't that far away and it could have happened.
    I don't think the vast majority on here have any idea of the net budget Thomas has set for this window (net I take to exclude receipts from player sales, etc that could be reinvested). No figure has been stated by the club as far as I'm aware or a list of the positions intended to be filled with new to the club players.
    Prior to yesterday's signing there was, in my opinion, increasing speculation that the available cash had largely been spent and further expensive signings (those involving a fee) were unlikely.
    If we had reached the Championship, a much more extensive (and expensive) rebuild would have been required to provide a squad capable of remaining in the division, with more of last year's players leaving and more coming in, both first choice and squad.  No way would the academy youth be suitable to cover squad back up for suspensions and injuries, except for one-off emergencies. 
    So where would we be now?  Would sufficient funds have been available to purchase possibly 15 + new  Championship level players?  How would we have coped in what has turned out to be a slow and difficult window?
    Whilst I think we all agree that CAFC needs to get out of League 1, realistically it can only be done (and is worth doing) if and when we have adequate resources to ensure we remain there for more than one season.
    Not going up last year was disappointing, but in the longer term it could be argued that it was for the best that we didn't. Hindsight will tell!
    It remains to be seen whether a year of squad development and consolidation this season would be better in the longer term that a push for the Championship that we may not be quite ready for.
    If we do go up at the end of this season, will the finance be available for the bigger rebuild required for sustainable Championship football?
  • How are Plymouth doing financially? I can’t see us spending big on a poacher type striker, especially while Ronnie is still here. If we bring one in I think it’s more likely to be one who can play the lone striker role.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Jephcott and Charles would be excellent signings, alas Jephcott signed a new deal in June and Charles I can't believe won't have Champ interest this late in the window. Blackburn probably with the Armstrong money 
    I think Jephcott is more ‘gettable’ despite the new deal as he hadn’t scored in 21 competitive games before Tuesday (Camara scored too) and I think Plymouth and the player were just protecting themselves a bit with the new deal. Think Charles will end up in the champ but also a good player who would obviously strengthen us.  
  • mart77 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Jephcott and Charles would be excellent signings, alas Jephcott signed a new deal in June and Charles I can't believe won't have Champ interest this late in the window. Blackburn probably with the Armstrong money 
    I think Jephcott is more ‘gettable’ despite the new deal as he hadn’t scored in 21 competitive games before Tuesday (Camara scored too) and I think Plymouth and the player were just protecting themselves a bit with the new deal. Think Charles will end up in the champ but also a good player who would obviously strengthen us.  
    I think if Jephcott is available at a similar fee to Kirk and Stockley then we'd be daft not to give it a look. 

Charles and Colby Bishop would both be good options , surprised neither have left Accy. 
  • UEAAddick said:
    Only thing was I felt last season we had too many central midfielders, and left us lacking in depth in other positions, so I hope that isn't the case this Yr. I think attacking midfielder is 5th on my priority.
    yes and the worst thing about it is none of them were particularly good 
  • Scoham said:
    How are Plymouth doing financially? I can’t see us spending big on a poacher type striker, especially while Ronnie is still here. If we bring one in I think it’s more likely to be one who can play the lone striker role.
    Sad I know but I’ve just had a very brief look at a couple of random Plymouth Argyle forums and Luke Jephcott is certainly a player that divides opinion. More interesting in the context of this thread is that I didn’t see one post, all from this week by the way that hinted at or speculated that LJ is set to leave. 
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    mart77 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I think if Jephcott is available at a similar fee to Kirk and Stockley then we'd be daft not to give it a look. 

Charles and Colby Bishop would both be good options , surprised neither have left Accy. 
    16 goals last season and 2 years left on his contract, I doubt Plymouth would be looking for anything less than a million for Jephcott.
  • Vfrf said:
    I'd be very impressed if we got Jephcott simply because i can't believe he'd have no Championship interest.
    Thing is - the championship / league 1 thing has many factors - kirk comes to us as a starter, a main man and will be one of the top earners on a long contract - if he had gone to the championship he may not have been a relatively guaranteed starter and this would have been reflected in the size and duration of his contract.  
  • Vfrf said:
    You'd have thoughr Crew should have pissed this league last year the way their players are touted 
    What, all four of them?
  • Following this thread from the start has set me wondering where we would be with this summer's team rebuild if we had made it into the Championship at the close of last season.
    Despite injuries and poor form during the middle part of the season, we weren't that far away and it could have happened.
    I don't think the vast majority on here have any idea of the net budget Thomas has set for this window (net I take to exclude receipts from player sales, etc that could be reinvested). No figure has been stated by the club as far as I'm aware or a list of the positions intended to be filled with new to the club players.
    Prior to yesterday's signing there was, in my opinion, increasing speculation that the available cash had largely been spent and further expensive signings (those involving a fee) were unlikely.
    If we had reached the Championship, a much more extensive (and expensive) rebuild would have been required to provide a squad capable of remaining in the division, with more of last year's players leaving and more coming in, both first choice and squad.  No way would the academy youth be suitable to cover squad back up for suspensions and injuries, except for one-off emergencies. 
    So where would we be now?  Would sufficient funds have been available to purchase possibly 15 + new  Championship level players?  How would we have coped in what has turned out to be a slow and difficult window?
    Whilst I think we all agree that CAFC needs to get out of League 1, realistically it can only be done (and is worth doing) if and when we have adequate resources to ensure we remain there for more than one season.
    Not going up last year was disappointing, but in the longer term it could be argued that it was for the best that we didn't. Hindsight will tell!
    It remains to be seen whether a year of squad development and consolidation this season would be better in the longer term that a push for the Championship that we may not be quite ready for.
    If we do go up at the end of this season, will the finance be available for the bigger rebuild required for sustainable Championship football?
    my response on the post match Wimbledon thread adds a bit of insight 
  • Vfrf said:
    You'd have thoughr Crew should have pissed this league last year the way their players are touted 
    What, all four of them?
    You think 11 of the teams that finished above them had more than four outstanding players?
  • Is this Jeff bloke any relation to Ralph who used to play for Burnley and Spurs?  Hope he has more hair!
  • Hearing Jephcott is in the mix.

Rumoured interest that i don't believe any of them followed up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    mart77 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Andy Holt has been very quiet on that front. But he has spent a fortune on upgrading the stadium and is obviously struggling with the current financial constraints and Covid.

If he does have to sell by the end of the window and interest is limited outside League 1, then if we make an approach I hope we don't screw him over. He seems like a good guy.
    Yeah I wouldn't want to get a reputation as a club that throws around derisory lowball bids for players . I think all clubs are feeling the pinch of the last 18 months or so , but I wouldn't want to take advantage of clubs. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    mart77 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Not sure I’d be wildly excited by Jephcott, but that’s just based on the video. 
    I wonder to what extent the club already knows what loans they might be getting? That would have an impact on everything on the recruitment front. 

Would it be possible that being that bit closer to the promised land of the PL may lead to TS finding outside investors who may be more willing to take a punt on CAFC? Seems more likely to me.
  • Someone like Taylor Richards on loan from brighton, would be a good shout i feel. Notched 10 last season for Donny from midfield
  • Can't see going in for Jephcott
  • trouble with loans is that often the parent clubs wants there player to start or at least be in the 18.

So another LB or left winger might expect to start ahead of Kirk and Purrington, for example.

Many will say "if he's better than Purrington then not a problem" but if he's not or is better going forward but not as good defensively it gives SG and NA a dilemma.

I still expect 3 or 4 loans to join before the end of the window. 
  • VFR4life said:
    Someone like Taylor Richards on loan from brighton, would be a good shout i feel. Notched 10 last season for Donny from midfield
    Would be a good signing and no doubt plenty of interest. To get Taylor we will have to be swift. 
  • edited August 2021
    VFR4life said:
    Someone like Taylor Richards on loan from brighton, would be a good shout i feel. Notched 10 last season for Donny from midfield
    Saw a quote from Graham Potter that he's likely to stay around Brighton's first team. But exactly the type of player we need. 

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!