Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• 😕
    Leuth said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Dobson & Clare look fine, Morgan is improving all the time and (when healthy) Gilbey showed he's plenty good enough for this division after Adkins arrived
    We don't need anything in midfield as much as we need cover for LB, CB and GK
    If/when better quality players come available at costs that fit the overall budget, I'm sure CAFC's hat will be in the ring.  Ideally these will be acquisitions but with 4 loan slots available permanent deals aren't imperative - they can sometimes evolve to permanent as we've seen with Famewo and Shinnie 
    I'm confident the days of signing the dregs just as the window closes are behind us
    I noticed there were no 2s or 3s in your player marks last weekend. Still selecting a target eh ;) 
    😕
  • I feel like people are sleeping on our midfield a little bit. I think that they will obviously improve once they get a few games under their belt and that 3 from Dobson, Clare, Morgan and Gilbey have enough mobility, pace and technique to be a good unit. They at least matched Wednesday's midfield who were all playing in the Champ last year and included Barry '27k' Bannan. I think our current midfielders have enough to come out on top against most midfields in the league. I would add in a more 'creative' CM/AM for sure, but I don't think they need to be a standout first-name-on-the-teamsheet kind of signing (though obviously I wouldn't turn it down.)
    They're fine defensively but I don't think they scare any opponents going forward. 
    If you play a 4-3-3 though I'm not sure you need any of the 3 to scare anyone offensively. Yes you need forward passing range and runs into the box but the key attacking players are the two wingers. I think we are missing a trick in the CAM position currently occupied by Morgan but the last thing we want there is a real out and out playmaker because then you've got 4 attacking players and you're asking Kirk or DJ to increase their defensive workload which is not what we want from them.
    So when we're attacking you've got the ball down the wing. Two players in the box marked by 3/4/5 people. Then the midfielders are going to be 25 yards from goal are they? 

You need someone to be able to run in late unmarked, or hover around the edge of the box for any second balls. 

If we're going to play 3 attacking players and 8 defensive ones, we're not going to create any chances. 

Morgan and Clare are good at recycling the ball and finding the wingers, but beyond that they haven't offered anything going forward. 
    To my mind, Morgan is going to be the second furthest forward midfielder when the ball is in the box. He'll be the one trying to slip in wingers/fullbacks, or clipping in a shallow cross, or at most arriving late as he did on Sat. I think Clare/Gilbey will be the one that is asked to break the lines and commit, to support Stockley in the box.
  • edited August 2021
    The role of the full back has evolved since many CL members played there because they were shite ! ( Not me obviously, I tackled hard and was mean)

Luke Shaw with his assists and his cracking goal was one of our best attackers yet folk still say he is a defensive player ?

Purrington is slow but does some good work up top and has scored or come close to scoring when he gets forward. Anyone who thought Maatsen was better than Ben defensively over a season must've been pissed when watching. Maatsen will improve but was very raw last season but then he was fairly new to men's football.
  • I feel like people are sleeping on our midfield a little bit. I think that they will obviously improve once they get a few games under their belt and that 3 from Dobson, Clare, Morgan and Gilbey have enough mobility, pace and technique to be a good unit. They at least matched Wednesday's midfield who were all playing in the Champ last year and included Barry '27k' Bannan. I think our current midfielders have enough to come out on top against most midfields in the league. I would add in a more 'creative' CM/AM for sure, but I don't think they need to be a standout first-name-on-the-teamsheet kind of signing (though obviously I wouldn't turn it down.)
    They're fine defensively but I don't think they scare any opponents going forward. 
    If you play a 4-3-3 though I'm not sure you need any of the 3 to scare anyone offensively. Yes you need forward passing range and runs into the box but the key attacking players are the two wingers. I think we are missing a trick in the CAM position currently occupied by Morgan but the last thing we want there is a real out and out playmaker because then you've got 4 attacking players and you're asking Kirk or DJ to increase their defensive workload which is not what we want from them.
    So when we're attacking you've got the ball down the wing. Two players in the box marked by 3/4/5 people. Then the midfielders are going to be 25 yards from goal are they? 

You need someone to be able to run in late unmarked, or hover around the edge of the box for any second balls. 

If we're going to play 3 attacking players and 8 defensive ones, we're not going to create any chances. 

Morgan and Clare are good at recycling the ball and finding the wingers, but beyond that they haven't offered anything going forward. 
    But Morgan did hover around the edge of the box and picked the ball up twice, shot twice but very poor efforts.

clare looked good going forward but didn’t do it enough, maybe we were a bit conservative because of who we were playing? I would like to think that we will be a bit more expansive when we are not playing a bigger team. Clare also put a very good defence splitting ball through which was well defended.

over a 46 game season, we need competition for Morgan but I definitely don’t think our team is as bad or not as creative as being made out on here. 

But Morgan did hover around the edge of the box and picked the ball up twice, shot twice but very poor efforts.

clare looked good going forward but didn’t do it enough, maybe we were a bit conservative because of who we were playing? I would like to think that we will be a bit more expansive when we are not playing a bigger team. Clare also put a very good defence splitting ball through which was well defended.

over a 46 game season, we need competition for Morgan but I definitely don’t think our team is as bad or not as creative as being made out on here. 
    This is the point. If he's not comfortable in that position then we need someone else who is. 

That seems a bit of a premature evaluation honestly. Morgan fluffed his chances but him even having them means he must have been in the right place. Clare made some good drives forward too, given he's still getting on the same wavelength as his new teammates.

I think we actually agree. You want someone to be able to make a run into the box or make space on the edge of the box. That is exactly what we want the most offensive of our midfield 3 to focus on in this system (in my opinion). I would say that isn't necessarily needing to be an all out playmaker who "scares defenders" and in fact it would be advantageous if it wasn't so we can maintain shape. It's not quite as simple as 3 attackers and 8 defenders - I certainly don't want 3 sitting midfielders but my point is the 3 can be brutally effective without actually being devoted to attacking if you get the right blend.

I think what we want is what we saw from Gilbey late last season and what I think we have brought Clare in to do - to be able to drive forward with or without the ball and influence the final third without losing shape and ending up with 4 attacking players which is too much to carry and will also reduce the offensiveness of the full backs. Whether either is good enough on a consistent basis to do that - jury out.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    I feel like people are sleeping on our midfield a little bit. I think that they will obviously improve once they get a few games under their belt and that 3 from Dobson, Clare, Morgan and Gilbey have enough mobility, pace and technique to be a good unit. They at least matched Wednesday's midfield who were all playing in the Champ last year and included Barry '27k' Bannan. I think our current midfielders have enough to come out on top against most midfields in the league. I would add in a more 'creative' CM/AM for sure, but I don't think they need to be a standout first-name-on-the-teamsheet kind of signing (though obviously I wouldn't turn it down.)

This is the point. If he's not comfortable in that position then we need someone else who is. 
    He's had one league start there... Give the lad a chance FFS! His manager has put him there and he's agreed to take on the challenge. 
  • edited August 2021
    Vfrf said:
    Vfrf said:
    I'd be very impressed if we got Jephcott simply because i can't believe he'd have no Championship interest.
    Why, I thought there was Championship interest in Kirk and we got him.
    A good piece by a Crewe analyst pointed out that while Kirk is proving to be consistent, he has a lower ceilling than Lowery/Dale so those are the two more likely to get Championship interest now. Kirk on the other hand could probably hold his own (or so they said) but isn't a standout star like the other two.
    You'd have thought  Crewe should have pissed this league last year the way their players are touted 
    True but realistically their success was down to 4-5 players, Dale, Lowery, Pickering, Kirk and Mandron. Doesn't mean the rest of the team held their weight and only finished 8 points below us.
    If those players weren't young talents they probably wouldn't be getting scouted - it's more their age and potential getting them this interest.
    Perry Ng and Ryan Wintle also made big money moves to Cardiff last season. 

They had a golden generation of youth players all coming through at the same time.
    Wintle only moved to Cardiff on a free transfer this summer

Was Ng (Cardiff) and Pickering (Blackburn) that moved in January - Wouldn't call it a golden generation either, Crewe are consistent bringing through youngsters that have moved on, e.g. Nick Powell to Man Utd, Luke Varney and Luke Murphy
    Sure they always bring players through but how often do they have 6/7 of the same age group all at the same time?

They may have the odd gem but this was a team full of youth products that have seemingly outgrown Crewe after a couple of seasons. I only use the term golden generation as that’s what I’ve seen Crewe fans call it

To my mind, Morgan is going to be the second furthest forward midfielder when the ball is in the box. He'll be the one trying to slip in wingers/fullbacks, or clipping in a shallow cross, or at most arriving late as he did on Sat. I think Clare/Gilbey will be the one that is asked to break the lines and commit, to support Stockley in the box.
    I agree, despite the shirt number he’s not playing in the hole as a traditional number 10.

With Clare (or Gilbey) being more physical it makes sense for him to be getting in the box, with Morgan deeper as the one with a better range of passing.

Hopefully we’ll bring in a CM to add more quality and competition in that part of the pitch.
  • Morgan - 2 chances, 2 misses in 90mins in a new role. 

Total dog shit then of course.

Anyone saying he can't finish is way of the mark, he can and will. 
    In League One he's played 37 games and scored 1 goal. 

I'm not judging him from one game. 
  • edited August 2021
    Premature evaluation is taking place by everyone on here including me.
    What we can say is over the last 3 seasons Morgan has not improved on his attempts on goal. His work rate is off the scale now since his fitness improved and one goal from him could launch his career at Cafc this season. Gilbey, Washington Clare, Kirk, DJ etc good movement will give him better options without him going for the Hollywood pass or trying to score from the halfway line as if he is John Joe Shelvey who nearly managed it in his young career at Cafc. Only the 3k+ would have noticed from AFC Dons game.

Early doors in our season and Nigel Adkins may win me over as long as we have players around or in the box with crosses whether in the air or on the desk. If you go with one central striker then  its mandatory that midfield or the other wide forward get in and around the box when crosses from flank comes in.

One shot on target  in 190 minutes is poor in 2 home matches but the season is young and we must be working on upping this number on the training ground.
  • As an attacking threat Kirk is a very welcome and necessary addition. We need more. We don’t get enough shots away and at present we only have one player likely to hit fifteen plus goals. We need more. Our midfield might be younger and have more energy than in recent times but it’s not full of goals. Kirk and DJ will chip in and create plenty of chances but Stockley can’t be on the end of all of them. We need another attack minded playmaker who can dictate play and drive into the box with enough about them to get 10 plus goals. We are nowhere near having that player yet. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Addickted said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    mart77 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Jephcott and Charles would be excellent signings, alas Jephcott signed a new deal in June and Charles I can't believe won't have Champ interest this late in the window. Blackburn probably with the Armstrong money 
    I think Jephcott is more ‘gettable’ despite the new deal as he hadn’t scored in 21 competitive games before Tuesday (Camara scored too) and I think Plymouth and the player were just protecting themselves a bit with the new deal. Think Charles will end up in the champ but also a good player who would obviously strengthen us.  
    I think if Jephcott is available at a similar fee to Kirk and Stockley then we'd be daft not to give it a look. 

Charles and Colby Bishop would both be good options , surprised neither have left Accy. 
    Andy Holt has been very quiet on that front. But he has spent a fortune on upgrading the stadium and is obviously struggling with the current financial constraints and Covid.

If he does have to sell by the end of the window and interest is limited outside League 1, then if we make an approach I hope we don't screw him over. He seems like a good guy.
    Yeah I wouldn't want to get a reputation as a club that throws around derisory lowball bids for players . I think all clubs are feeling the pinch of the last 18 months or so , but I wouldn't want to take advantage of clubs. 
    Can't be many clubs that have been taken advantage of more than us. We lost Gomez, Konsa, Pope, Doughty, Gudmundsson and Grant for less than 15m for the lot. Throw in Aribo, Lockyer and Bauer going on frees and we've probably lost over 100m worth of players for a small fraction of their value.
    Then lob in the kids who rejected contracts as we were so low in the pyramid/not Cat A, like Kasey Palmer, Sarmiento, Zemura and others I have never heard of I am sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• PWADDICK said:
    Just watching the premier league debate show on YouTube and Gary Neville talks about how Salford are really struggling to bring players in due to the market being so slow, I assume it’s the same with us and all clubs
    Genuinely wonder what the likes of Ipswich and Wigan have been paying to players and clubs. 

If the market goes crazy in the last week they could be a bit worried.
  • Here’s one .. Bikash Yumnam
  • J BLOCK said:
    Here’s one .. Bikash Yumnam
    Here's one what?

Sorry, are you saying we're interested?
  • edited August 2021
  • J BLOCK said:
    Saw a guy on Twitter say we should sign him- but looks completely random…

however he has been named in the top 60 youngsters to watch etc
  • edited August 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    Here's one what?

Sorry, are you saying we're interested?
    Rumour ... on the rumours thread.
  • edited August 2021
  • Morgan - 2 chances, 2 misses in 90mins in a new role. 

Total dog shit then of course.

Anyone saying he can't finish is way of the mark, he can and will. 
    If he can finish, why hasn't he shown it yet?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!