Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• No.1 priority is a left back. - Purrington is solid but can overlap Kirk and deliver, so I'm saying a prem loan as priority will be to have 2 wing back type.

I can see us getting away with signing another 3 - 2 at a push on top of a LB if Schwartz isn't washed up and we think Deji can do a job.

For real depth we need to have more, but so far we have only signed players we want and I like that policy even if we do miss out more often. 

Disagree. Attacking central midfield is where we need to prioritise. We need a playmaker. I’d rather spend big on that position than get in a LB when we know Purrington won’t let us down. In fact I’d give the LB slot up to one of the loans spots. 
    Can agree to disagree then. Morgan Claire and Gilbey is enough for me.

LB could be a loan, but we are currently using our back up right back there. 
  • No.1 priority is a left back. - Purrington is solid but can overlap Kirk and deliver, so I'm saying a prem loan as priority will be to have 2 wing back type.

I can see us getting away with signing another 3 - 2 at a push on top of a LB if Schwartz isn't washed up and we think Deji can do a job.

For real depth we need to have more, but so far we have only signed players we want and I like that policy even if we do miss out more often. 

Disagree. Attacking central midfield is where we need to prioritise. We need a playmaker. I’d rather spend big on that position than get in a LB when we know Purrington won’t let us down. In fact I’d give the LB slot up to one of the loans spots. 
    Definitely. I feel the missing AM is probably just about the only weak link in the first team. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    I know I’m probably in a minority in my thinking here, but in the second half of last season Purrington was a better left back for us than Maatsen was. I’m not saying it’s not important to get another, especially as he isn’t fit at the moment. But if you ask me where I feel we’re lacking at the moment, it’s definitely in the scoring department as opposed to conceding. Gunter did a fine job covering on Saturday.

This for me makes offensive signings more urgent than defensive ones before deadline day.
    I think with the way we are looking to play, LB will be an attacking option as we need someone to overlap Kirk, much like Pickering did at Crewe. It's a crucial part of the modern attacking game, and whilst Purrington is a solid LB I'd prioritise this position and have him as the Gunter of the left, a really solid defender that you can bring in when you need to keep things tight. I'd argue that adding a major threat linking up down the left gets us more goals than adding a 'better' Morgan, though obviously I wouldn't say no to both.
  • I'm not sure midfield or CB is our priority. If you look at the squad limit in terms of numbers we dont have enough spaces as it stands. Once gilby is back I think our regular midfield will be Dobson, Clare and Gilby. I think that would be a great midfield and think Gilby & Clare will get goals. CB I think Deji will be cover. I think we will sign a LB and another striker
  • AndyG said:
    I'm not sure midfield or CB is our priority. If you look at the squad limit in terms of numbers we dont have enough spaces as it stands. Once gilby is back I think our regular midfield will be Dobson, Clare and Gilby. I think that would be a great midfield and think Gilby & Clare will get goals. CB I think Deji will be cover. I think we will sign a LB and another striker
    That would be a huge mistake IMO. No doubt I will be accused of bed wetting, but if we don't bring in a RCB I';m writing off hope of getting promoted.
  • AndyG said:
    I'm not sure midfield or CB is our priority. If you look at the squad limit in terms of numbers we dont have enough spaces as it stands. Once gilby is back I think our regular midfield will be Dobson, Clare and Gilby. I think that would be a great midfield and think Gilby & Clare will get goals. CB I think Deji will be cover. I think we will sign a LB and another striker
    Gilbey started to show what he had last season once Adkins came in. He looked good but he’s not a playmaker. I would like to see someone that makes the team tick. That’s the key for me. I don’t see us dominating midfield with what we currently have. We need that player that dictates the play. 
  • What's Josh Sims up to?
  • AndyG said:
    Gilbey started to show what he had last season once Adkins came in. He looked good but he’s not a playmaker. I would like to see someone that makes the team tick. That’s the key for me. I don’t see us dominating midfield with what we currently have. We need that player that dictates the play. 
    Gary Banan anyone??
  • AndyG said:
    Gary Banan anyone??
    Bet he would love to play for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    Gary Banan anyone??
    I’d prefer Barry Bannan.
  • DOUCHER said:
    the docherty, pavel abbot , daily era and crofts / foley was the worst i can remember although yes, in the early eighties when i first started going a fair amount, the likes of berry and tydeman were pretty uninspiring, as was the huge ground with not many fans in it meaning not much atmosphere - we're not far off a good team here with a good owner, good fanbase and a great stadium - TS needs to just go that extra bit now and we can take off again
    The side we sent out against Walsall in 2010 was pretty heartbreaking. Elliot, Francis, Doherty, Fortune, Fry, Jackson, Semedo, Racon, Wagstaff, Anyinsah, Benson. If we've ever put out a worse backline than that I'll be shocked. We lost 1-0.

The back four: Francis went on to Captain a side in the Premier. Doherty had been a Spurs player but was on borrowed time by the time he was at the valley. Fortune kept Shearer quiet in a game and was quite steady, plus he sent the Palace down so plus point straight away. Fry came from West ham from memory and had fitness problems. 

No where near being the worse back four but Doherty was slower than Ben Watson and was baggage for the rest of the defense to carry.
    Past performance is meaningless. Both Doherty and Fortune were totally past it, Doherty was past it before he even signed for us. Francis was totally useless for us and Matt Fry was probably the slowest full back we've ever had. He went on to play 6 games in League Two and then drop down to the conference. Their pedigree is irrelevant, when they stepped out for us they formed a terrible backline. Unless you can think of a worse one?
  • Do we know who the player training with us is yet?.....that @DOUCHER mentioned.

Was thinking it could be Viv Soloman-Otabor & that our medical / coaching team are trying to get him up to fitness before we agree a contract with him.

Could be a useful addition based on what he produced at Wigan last yr.
  • 6 more needed in my opinion. I hope we can get that many without taking 4 loans additional to Famewo. I think we should try and keep one or two loan slots open for January - usually easier to get a loan than a permanent signing in January.

Definitely. I feel the missing AM is probably just about the only weak link in the first team. 
    So here are the top ranked L1 "Assisters" from last season - I am only showing those aged 24 and under.  Those who got promoted are presumably not an option but interesting to see Josh Sims on the list...
    Aaron Morley struck me as a defensive midfielder but his assists and heatmaps from last season suggest he is more of a number 10 and he could be well worth a look.  At 21 years of age he fits the bill.  Cracking distribution and very intelligent player but not the greatest defensively.   

8 Assists
    Josh Sims
    Malik Wilks
    Charlie Kirk
    T Lowery

7 Assists
    J Powell (Burton)
    S Dembele (Posh)
    A Morley (Rochdale)
    J Yates (Blackpool)

• 6 more needed in my opinion. I hope we can get that many without taking 4 loans additional to Famewo. I think we should try and keep one or two loan slots open for January - usually easier to get a loan than a permanent signing in January.
    I think someone said earlier we only have 2 slots available unless we sell someone
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    We definitely need a more attacking LB if we're going to play a 433 with the 2 winger cutting inside. You need to challenge their defence, so that they don't know whether to cover the winger or overlapping full back

I've a suspicion that Morgan, Clare and Dobson will be competing for 2 places, as we'll need a goal scoring midfielder to make the system work. That might be Gilbey, but I think we'll bring someone in
  • AndyG said:
    I know I'm going to get absolute pelters for this but looking at the highlights of Kirk slamming balls across the area maybe Ronnie has a future? He must be looking at that and thinking he would fill his boots
    Not an unfounded conclusion Andy.
  • We definitely need a more attacking LB if we're going to play a 433 with the 2 winger cutting inside. You need to challenge their defence, so that they don't know whether to cover the winger of overlapping full back

I've a suspicion that Morgan, Clare and Dobson will be competing for 2 places, as we'll need a goal scoring midfielder to make the system work. That might be Gilbey, but I think we'll bring someone in
    yep, pacey left back next on my list after the midfield general then its prem loans for cb, pacey striker/goalscorer and another winger 
  • edited August 2021
    AndyG said:
    6 more needed in my opinion. I hope we can get that many without taking 4 loans additional to Famewo. I think we should try and keep one or two loan slots open for January - usually easier to get a loan than a permanent signing in January.
    I think someone said earlier we only have 2 slots available unless we sell someone
    I think the limit only applies to players registered. I'd therefore guess that JFC won't be registered until January. I'd probably let Schwartz go and not bring in a second choice keeper. That would increase it to 4 spots available for say 5 signings, so 1 would have to be under 20. 

EDIT - I don't think goalkeepers are included at all. You are allowed to have 22 outfield players. 
  • if u look at the midfield and assume 2 players for every spot, i see a job share for dobson and watson (watson the understudy) golby and clare (clare probably the understudy), then morgan and ??? our star signing - morgan the understudy  
    Out of interest, which 6 of our current squad do you not want to play this season? Squad cap is in place. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    We definitely need a more attacking LB if we're going to play a 433 with the 2 winger cutting inside. You need to challenge their defence, so that they don't know whether to cover the winger of overlapping full back

yep, pacey left back next on my list after the midfield general then its prem loans for cb, pacey striker/goalscorer and another winger 
    Tbf mate I would say a goalscorer needs to be before that with the main resources we know we can defend its the goals that need to be brought in and aneke NEEDS replacing especially the goals !!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!