Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• So two starters needed.  A CAM and a Left back.  To me CAM is the most important.  I like Albie and Gilbey as squad players and to compete with Clare if he is out of form or two cover on the wings in a pinch.  The problem is finding an attacking midfielder is hard.  You are either going to pay well  above market to get someone of the quality you want or take a risk on a youth loan.   I am not hearing any names of a player who might be available that excites me so it might be Albie or Gilbey but we will see. I wasn’t a fan of Lowery at Crewe.  Anybody know of any premier league youth attacking midfielders who might be available for a loan?
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Still not sure that starting 11 has enough goals in it.
    Stockley 15-20
    DJ & Kirk 15-20 between them
    Gilbey 5-10
    Morgan 5
    Clare 5
    Inniss & other defenders 5
    Washington 10

That’s a 60-75 goals. The numbers add up quickly.
    Yep plus the fact Adkins is aiming for 26 clean sheets if we win say 20 of those and draw 6 we technically only 20 goals for 66 points , no doubt our defensive will be key and they stay fit I can’t see us not challenging 

20 1-0 wins will be incredibly stressful season viewing
    Would you care at the end of the season if it meant at least 60 points? 

Chuck in a load of score draws and games we win/lose where both teams score and at least 85pts is achievable. 
  • Still not sure that starting 11 has enough goals in it.
    Stockley 15-20
    DJ & Kirk 15-20 between them
    Gilbey 5-10
    Morgan 5
    Clare 5
    Inniss & other defenders 5
    Washington 10

That’s a 60-75 goals. The numbers add up quickly.
    Morgan 5 seriously 
    If last Saturday is anything to go by, he’d be lucky to hit 5 barn doors
  • RedRobin said:
    I wouldn’t mind us going in for Matt Godden if we move Ronnie on. Down pecking order at Coventry and a big Charlton fan. 
    If he’s available bring him in. Faversham boy!
    I mentioned him last week. I saw Cov had signed 3 strikers (one had been on loan there). Given he was third choice last season there's every reason to think he'd be allowed to leave. A bit like Jephcott though, I'm not sure signing a striker who isn't capable of playing up top on his own is the best move. 
  • edited August 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    the docherty, pavel abbot , daily era and crofts / foley was the worst i can remember although yes, in the early eighties when i first started going a fair amount, the likes of berry and tydeman were pretty uninspiring, as was the huge ground with not many fans in it meaning not much atmosphere - we're not far off a good team here with a good owner, good fanbase and a great stadium - TS needs to just go that extra bit now and we can take off again
    The side we sent out against Walsall in 2010 was pretty heartbreaking. Elliot, Francis, Doherty, Fortune, Fry, Jackson, Semedo, Racon, Wagstaff, Anyinsah, Benson. If we've ever put out a worse backline than that I'll be shocked. We lost 1-0.

The back four: Francis went on to Captain a side in the Premier. Doherty had been a Spurs player but was on borrowed time by the time he was at the valley. Fortune kept Shearer quiet in a game and was quite steady, plus he sent the Palace down so plus point straight away. Fry came from West ham from memory and had fitness problems. 

No where near being the worse back four but Doherty was slower than Ben Watson and was baggage for the rest of the defense to carry.
  • DOUCHER said:
    the docherty, pavel abbot , daily era and crofts / foley was the worst i can remember although yes, in the early eighties when i first started going a fair amount, the likes of berry and tydeman were pretty uninspiring, as was the huge ground with not many fans in it meaning not much atmosphere - we're not far off a good team here with a good owner, good fanbase and a great stadium - TS needs to just go that extra bit now and we can take off again
    The side we sent out against Walsall in 2010 was pretty heartbreaking. Elliot, Francis, Doherty, Fortune, Fry, Jackson, Semedo, Racon, Wagstaff, Anyinsah, Benson. If we've ever put out a worse backline than that I'll be shocked. We lost 1-0.

The back four: Francis went on to Captain a side in the Premier. Doherty had been a Spurs player but was on borrowed time by the time he was at the valley. Fortune kept Shearer quiet in a game and was quite steady, plus he sent the Palace down so plus point straight away. Fry came from West ham from memory and had fitness problems.

No where near being the worse back four but Doherty was slower than Ben Watson !
    Fortune was finished by then though, Francis was never that good in a Charlton shirt and not sure how their academy teams makes much difference. Frank Nouble came through at West Ham (and Chelsea). 
  • Agree about Morgan.
    Seems like he's been here an age. He shows flashes of brilliance but seems incapable of taking his game to the next level.

Still only young, but If we're serious about going up I don't think we will with him at the helm.
  • seth plum said:
    Be great if Nick Pope got transferred and we got something out of it.

Why is Nick so selfish. We took Nick in when he was 19 and released from Bury (st Edmonds) and we put up with the hole in his body which meant hard shots on the deck aimed at his body went in. He was born in Suffolk but made in Charlton and he repays us by staying in Burnley where his children will say "trouble a' Mill".

Put in a transfer request Nick and you might get the gig at PSG and help Cafc buy a striker who can put the ball in the net from the assists from Charlie Kirk. It's the butterfly effect.

I do remember a Cafc fan saying his niece was Nick Pope's girlfriend so if that guy is on CL and if he wouldn't mind getting in touch by social media and..........
  • edited August 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Pope is fit again? Wouldn’t be surprised if he does move late in the window 
  • Rothko said:
    Pope is fit again? Wouldn’t be surprised if he does move late in the window 
    Who too? I can't see it, nobody out there needing a keeper. 
  • edited August 2021
    Redhenry said:
    This is what makes it so difficult making perm signings in league one. They have to have the potential to play in the Champ. I'm guessing and hoping this is why it's not been easy.

That must be a rhetorical question from you but I'm going to answer any way !

Championship side may bid as well if they feel they could be ready this season and not next season. The agents will definitely make it clear their client is open to offers.
    A four year contract would be unlikely to have been our opening Gambit for Charlie Kirk but once the so called interest from Sheff utd came about ( true or false ?) Cafc would be forced to give the best deal possible and increase the years if that helps to get the deal over the line.
  • Rothko said:
    Pope is fit again? Wouldn’t be surprised if he does move late in the window 
    Who too? I can't see it, nobody out there needing a keeper. 
    Arsenal could do worse. They've finally come to their senses over Ramsdale. Clearly in the market for a keeper...
  • barstool said:
    Looking at his stats his goals scored are good and his assists are stronger, hopefully they are even better this season with top players around him 

Who are these players ?

• Tucker can cover CB or FB just saying.
  • Having watched the video of Kirk & having read what Crewe fans have said I'd say we need an attacking LB to overlap with Kirk & also a poacher to finish off the chances he creates. He puts a lot of balls across the 6 yard line & would be a shame to see them go to waste.

As for Morgan. I see him more as a playmaker as his passing is pretty decent....but he is not a finisher & I doubt he'd get more than a couple of goals a season. Not enough composure & not a natural striker if the ball. 

All in all, another 3 or 4 players and we should be sorted.

Striker
    Left back
    Attacking midfielder 

• shine166 said:
    I’m hoping that Morgan and Clare are eventually back up. Bit harsh on Clare because I’m not sure I know enough about him yet but I’m pretty sure Morgan isn’t YET good enough to boss a midfield.
    Gilbey will be ahead of Morgan when fit. 

Gilbey could teach Morgan a thing or two in finishing judging by the goal Gilbey scored at Plymouth and other efforts last season.
  • edited August 2021
    A quick note for those saying we need more additions (which I quite agree with)... we now have only two senior squad places remaining unless we see exits (Dempsey, Davison, Schwartz). We have four matchday loan places left which can stretch that but any incoming player needs to be born pre 2000 to qualify as an U21 and not eat into our two spots. Goalkeepers (of any age) do not count.
  • On the topic of clubs being tight due to covid, since when has revenue from fans attending games ever influenced the ridiculous amounts of cash they are willing to speculate with..?
  • Sponsored links:

• Having watched the video of Kirk & having read what Crewe fans have said I'd say we need an attacking LB to overlap with Kirk & also a poacher to finish off the chances he creates. He puts a lot of balls across the 6 yard line & would be a shame to see them go to waste.

As for Morgan. I see him more as a playmaker as his passing is pretty decent....but he is not a finisher & I doubt he'd get more than a couple of goals a season. Not enough composure & not a natural striker if the ball. 

All in all, another 3 or 4 players and we should be sorted.

Striker
    Left back
    Attacking midfielder 

Need another right sided centre back as Inniss wont last injury free. Also if possible I am still not 100% sure Clare is promotion standard in the centre of the midfield (ie get a chance for a Cullen equivalent on loan and I would jump at it).

Also not sure Harness on the bench is what we want.

So I would say 6 more - (2 perm and 4 loans).

Get them in and we will be looking much stronger.
  • edited August 2021
    Let’s all have a guess what page number we will be on by the time we announce the next signing.

Page 674
    When I posted this on page 532 I didn't actually think we would have to wait nearly that long..........

Some great guesses https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/91711/rumours-rumours-summer-2021-edition/p533
  • edited August 2021
    Let’s all have a guess what page number we will be on by the time we announce the next signing.

Page 674
    When I posted this on page 532 I didn't actually think we would have to wait nearly that long..........

Some great guesses https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/91711/rumours-rumours-summer-2021-edition/p533
    I’m sticking with 666……though that’s looking highly unlikely now.
  • edited August 2021
    No.1 priority is a left back. - Purrington is solid but can overlap Kirk and deliver, so I'm saying a prem loan as priority will be to have 2 wing back type.

I can see us getting away with signing another 3 - 2 at a push on top of a LB if Schwartz isn't washed up and we think Deji can do a job.

For real depth we need to have more, but so far we have only signed players we want and I like that policy even if we do miss out more often. 

• Imagine we will see 3 or 4 loan players. Probably a free transfer for a back-up keeper and maybe either a signing or a free agent before window closes.
  • No.1 priority is a left back. - Purrington is solid but can overlap Kirk and deliver, so I'm saying a prem loan as priority will be to have 2 wing back type.

I can see us getting away with signing another 3 - 2 at a push on top of a LB if Schwartz isn't washed up and we think Deji can do a job.

For real depth we need to have more, but so far we have only signed players we want and I like that policy even if we do miss out more often. 

Disagree. Attacking central midfield is where we need to prioritise. We need a playmaker. I’d rather spend big on that position than get in a LB when we know Purrington won’t let us down. In fact I’d give the LB slot up to one of the loans spots. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!