Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Can’t see anything in the Jephcott rumours. It’s been said before but we’re not going to spend that sort of money for someone to sit on the bench behind Stockley. 
  • Not many front lines as good as that in League One imo
  • Jephcott would be a strange signing, a big risk given he just had a purple patch and I can't see how he fits in at all. 
    I’m the complete opposite, I think it would be a quality signing.  

He banged in his goals at the age of 19 last season, even if he had a bad patch he’s still clearly got it in him to score a sizeable amount of goals, you can’t fluke that at that young age.  

And the fact he’s only 20 now means he has so many years ahead for development.
    Possibly, I think he's a risk either way, but I'm not saying he can't be successful. I don't know enough about him, but from what I do know I just don't see how he suits our system at all. 
    This is where Steve Gallen earns his corn. I doubt Jephcott would be on our radar solely because of what he’s done last season. No doubt Gallen has be keeping tabs on him for a couple of seasons at least and we will have had him watched a good few times. Gallen will know if last season was a fluke and at Jephcotts age whether what we are prepared to pay for him might yield a return. That’s Gallens job and I think he’s pretty good at it.  Of course we have no idea if it’s even him we are interested in. 
    Possibly, but he played half the 19/20 season in the 8th tier, scoring 5 in 20. He very much seems like a striker who hits goals in purple patches like a lot of poachers do. I'm not writing him off mind, plenty of 'purple patch' strikers are worth their weight in gold if those patches result in a lot of goals. For me, it's more that if we sign a striker we need someone who is a different sort of player. 
  • AndyG said:
    Not many front lines as good as that in League One imo
    Not many 11s either.

Play that team every game and promotion is a distinct possibility - I know we won't be able to do that of course and we'll need to add depth.
  • Looking at that makes me feel old. 
  • Time for clean sheets again… A very pleasing signing and hope he features at Oxford! Welcome C Kirk!
  • A few left footers for balance would be excellent in the squad. A left back and left footed winger who could cover the other two would be excellent. Claydon should not (and I presume will not) be our first choice backup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jaiyesimi, Kirk, Dobson, and the rumoured Jephcott all fit the “Brentford model”.  Promising signs. 
    Saw this on Twitter a moment ago...

That starting 11 is as good as any in the league but we need more depth. Plainly obvious. 
  • Clare isn’t here to be a back up, no matter if you made your mind up on him during the first half on Saturday, think he’s got a pretty high upside to him in terms of potential 
  • Still not sure that starting 11 has enough goals in it.
    Possibly, but we failed to score against a very experienced Sheff Wednesday back four, so maybe they won’t come much tougher than that defensively.  
  • We just need to sign that Randell fella and this guy https://globalsportsarchive.com/people/soccer/lorenzo-hop/47917/ and my day will be complete.
    Hopefully with Gilbey back in the no10 role, he'll add goals. Really found his form towards the end of last season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah those numbers are definitely on the generous side! 

Personally would prefer another striker and play 4-4-2, but Adkins seems to prefer 1 up.
  • Can’t see anything in the Jephcott rumours. It’s been said before but we’re not going to spend that sort of money for someone to sit on the bench behind Stockley. 
    Get your point with the cost involved, but we need a striker with a proven record to support/back up Stockley, and maybe Jephcott is that player, and we will need to spend realistically to get the right player in, the alternative is reliance on youth ie Davison
  • Yeah those numbers are definitely on the generous side! 

Personally would prefer another striker and play 4-4-2, but Adkins seems to prefer 1 up.
    I don't think it's just Adkins, I don't think many teams play with 2 strikers these days. When I checked last weekend no one in league one was playing two up top. 
    Get your point with the cost involved, but we need a striker with a proven record to support/back up Stockley, and maybe Jephcott is that player, and we will need to spend realistically to get the right player in, the alternative is reliance on youth ie Davison
    Jephcott is 4 months younger than Davison, just saying. (Not sure what I'm saying, though)
  • Lowery and or Dale now ?
    Dale will go to a Championship side 
  • Lowery and or Dale now ?
    Crewe have accepted a £500k offer from a championship club for Dale.
    Stockley 15-20
    DJ & Kirk 15-20 between them
    Gilbey 5-10
    Morgan 5
    Clare 5
    Inniss & other defenders 5
    Washington 10

That’s a 60-75 goals. The numbers add up quickly.
    Very very wishful thinking. 

Stockley is the only one you'd be confident in. 
    Not sure I’d even be too confident in Stockley getting 15-20. With a fair wind he might get there.
  • Would be good to get a permanent striker signed up. Dion Charles would be great. Then loans at LB, CB and CAM. Then Hendo in as a short term No2 keeper. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!