Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Why are fees undisclosed?  Is it because we mugged Crewe or because  they mugged us ?  Or perhaps nobody wants to tell the tax man ?

Being that we beat off those Sheffield dicks with both hands, I'd assume nobody mugged anybody off and both parties are happy with the sum.
    Doesn’t that make it more likely we were mugged off and overpaid to fend off the sheff u interest?
    Nope. Charlton and Sheffield both met the £500k release clause valuation and so Kirk appears to have chosen us. 

We made a deal, we must have been happy with it. Thomas has said he won't pay over the odds for players.

Perhaps we gave a guarantee of first team football. Or a Range Rover upgrade. F.O.C

Deals are undisclosed so that clubs are left unaware of
     1. How much clubs are spending and
     2. How much money clubs make from deals.
     Nothing to do with tax dodging or mugging one another off

• Yeah those numbers are definitely on the generous side! 

Personally would prefer another striker and play 4-4-2, but Adkins seems to prefer 1 up.
    I don't think it's just Adkins, I don't think many teams play with 2 strikers these days. When I checked last weekend no one in league one was playing two up top. 
    Yeah I know I’m in the minority camp and it’s seen as a little outdated, but if you’ve got two goal scoring strikers that compliment each other I think it would be the difference at this level.
    Yes, the issue is many teams struggle to even find one goal scoring striker, let alone two.
  • Still not sure that starting 11 has enough goals in it.
    Stockley 15-20
    DJ & Kirk 15-20 between them
    Gilbey 5-10
    Morgan 5
    Clare 5
    Inniss & other defenders 5
    Washington 10

That’s a 60-75 goals. The numbers add up quickly.
    Morgan 5 seriously 
    If he keeps getting into the positions he did on Saturday, the goals will come. 
    Unless he keeps finishing like he did on saturday
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Left back would be somewhere I'd look at for a permanent signing. Just stops the same conversations about the position
    Surely you could say the same about any loan player we have though? We've currently got Purrington who is only 25 and we've got 2 players who will be fighting for a spot in the U23's. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Still not sure that starting 11 has enough goals in it.
    agreed - morgan and dobson don't appear to have goals in them - gilby does but isn't a general type - i see him and clare as being interchangeable - break the bank for a goalscoring midfield playmaker who morgan can deputise for and a  pacey left back now and we are in business  - then sort the schwarz situation out one way or another and bring a CB in 

Easy when you put it like that Doucher, piece of cake B)
  • Why are fees undisclosed?  Is it because we mugged Crewe or because  they mugged us ?  Or perhaps nobody wants to tell the tax man ?

Don’t matter we know we hit the release clause which was 500,000 
  • Sponsored links:

• Can’t see anything in the Jephcott rumours. It’s been said before but we’re not going to spend that sort of money for someone to sit on the bench behind Stockley. 
    Get your point with the cost involved, but we need a striker with a proven record to support/back up Stockley, and maybe Jephcott is that player, and we will need to spend realistically to get the right player in, the alternative is reliance on youth ie Davison

100% we need another striker, I just don’t think it would be wise to invest heavily in a backup. 

Stockley is our main man, our whole style of play is based around him doing what he does best. Any striker we do sign will be coming knowing they’re going to be starting on the bench most weeks. It makes more sense to sign a striker on loan who can offer us something different up top, rather than spending 6 figures on someone like Jephcott who has little impact outside the box. 

I think whatever budget we have left should go on young fullbacks/wingers/midfielders that are here for the foreseeable future. The rest can be filled with loans
    Agree Stockley is the No.9, long as whoever you get in as backup is good enough to provide some stiff competition to Stockley, a loan striker of that ilk could be hard to find that's all.
    Stockley 15-20
    Gilbey 5-10
    Morgan 5
    Clare 5
    Washington 10

Very very wishful thinking. 

Stockley is the only one you'd be confident in. 
    I don’t think so. 

Stockley had eight goals in half a season last year. 15 should be the bare minimum for him. I’m sure he’s got a target of 20+ in his head.

Kirk and DJ should each be setting themselves a target of 10. If one of them makes that number, the other bloke only needs 5. Or more like a 6/9 7/8 split… Dream scenario is ten each but I agree that is towards the higher end of possibility.

Gilbey’s game is about getting in the box and scoring goals. He struggled with that under Bowyer but we started to see the real player in there under Adkins with 3 goals in 10 starts. 10 goals across 30+ appearances is well within the realms of possibility.

I will be majorly disappointed if Morgan/Clare/JFC when he’s back don’t manage 10 goals between them. Morgan has to step up this year and I don’t think 5 goals is by any means a difficult thing to achieve. We know Jake has the ability to get the ball in the net occasionally and Clare has shown that at his previous clubs too.

Is five goals from Inniss, Famewo, Pearce, Gunter, Purrington and any other new defenders unrealistic? I don’t think so. I would be hoping for at least that off of set pieces this season.

Out of all the numbers, the only one that wasn’t pulled up was Washington. That’s the one that I think I’m stretching with the most! It’s clear Adkins wants to play 4-3-3 primarily and that is going to severely limit Conor’s minutes on the pitch.
    Agree about Washington, I don't think he'll be a regular starter and I think 7-8 goals would be an achievement. I think 10 from Clare, Gilbey and Morgan would be ok. We do need another midfield capable of scoring 7-8 goals and another winger capable of 4-5. 
    Stockley 15-20
    Gilbey 5-10
    Morgan 5
    Clare 5
    Washington 10

Yep plus the fact Adkins is aiming for 26 clean sheets if we win say 20 of those and draw 6 we technically only 20 goals for 66 points , no doubt our defensive will be key and they stay fit I can’t see us not challenging 

Stockley 15-20
    Gilbey 5-10
    Morgan 5
    Clare 5
    Washington 10

Very very wishful thinking. 

Stockley is the only one you'd be confident in. 
    I don’t think so. 

Stockley had eight goals in half a season last year. 15 should be the bare minimum for him. I’m sure he’s got a target of 20+ in his head.

Kirk and DJ should each be setting themselves a target of 10. If one of them makes that number, the other bloke only needs 5. Or more like a 6/9 7/8 split… Dream scenario is ten each but I agree that is towards the higher end of possibility.

Gilbey’s game is about getting in the box and scoring goals. He struggled with that under Bowyer but we started to see the real player in there under Adkins with 3 goals in 10 starts. 10 goals across 30+ appearances is well within the realms of possibility.

I will be majorly disappointed if Morgan/Clare/JFC when he’s back don’t manage 10 goals between them. Morgan has to step up this year and I don’t think 5 goals is by any means a difficult thing to achieve. We know Jake has the ability to get the ball in the net occasionally and Clare has shown that at his previous clubs too.

Is five goals from Inniss, Famewo, Pearce, Gunter, Purrington and any other new defenders unrealistic? I don’t think so. I would be hoping for at least that off of set pieces this season.

Out of all the numbers, the only one that wasn’t pulled up was Washington. That’s the one that I think I’m stretching with the most! It’s clear Adkins wants to play 4-3-3 primarily and that is going to severely limit Conor’s minutes on the pitch.

He does switch it up though as he played Rikki Lambert & Lee Barnard up together a fair bit at Saints if I remember correctly.
  • edited August 2021
    If you're going by highest total in a season so far, here are the goals in our squad - in League One or above: 

Washington: 12
    Stockley: 8
    Jaiyesimi: 4
    Gilbey: 5
    Kirk: 6
    Clare: 4
    Morgan: 1
    Dobson: 1
    All of our defenders: 4

Even with Forster-Caskey's 5, it's clearly not enough goals in the squad. 
    Some of this is disingenuous. Stockley has never had a full season at League One level - he made the jump from League Two (where he scored 44 in two years) straight into the Championship.

Similarly, I won’t be the only one who is supremely disappointed if Albie only scored one goal this year. Even if he “flops”, he should still manage 3-4 goals from the number 10 position. If he comes of age, 5 is a big underestimate.

DJ will get more than 4, Gilbey will get more than 5.
  • Why are fees undisclosed?  Is it because we mugged Crewe or because  they mugged us ?  Or perhaps nobody wants to tell the tax man ?

Don’t matter we know we hit the release clause which was 500,000 
    It does. I like transparency.  👍
    I think you need to write to the club and ask them that even if they publicly want the fees undisclosed, they need to inform you of the true fee because you like the transparency. 
    Stockley 15-20
    Gilbey 5-10
    Morgan 5
    Clare 5
    Washington 10

Morgan 5 seriously 
    If he keeps getting into the positions he did on Saturday, the goals will come. 
    Problem is he can barely hit a barn door at times 
    Seem to recall me saying exactly that about Grant. Don’t know if you can practice composure but that’s all he needs to develop, he’s young.
  • Can’t see anything in the Jephcott rumours. It’s been said before but we’re not going to spend that sort of money for someone to sit on the bench behind Stockley. 
    Get your point with the cost involved, but we need a striker with a proven record to support/back up Stockley, and maybe Jephcott is that player, and we will need to spend realistically to get the right player in, the alternative is reliance on youth ie Davison

100% we need another striker, I just don’t think it would be wise to invest heavily in a backup. 

Stockley is our main man, our whole style of play is based around him doing what he does best. Any striker we do sign will be coming knowing they’re going to be starting on the bench most weeks. It makes more sense to sign a striker on loan who can offer us something different up top, rather than spending 6 figures on someone like Jephcott who has little impact outside the box. 

I think whatever budget we have left should go on young fullbacks/wingers/midfielders that are here for the foreseeable future. The rest can be filled with loans
    If Adkins truly rates Roddy plus we have Oguntayo and Purrington still pretty young, I don't feel the LB necessarily needs to be a long term solution. Someone like Joe Bennett would be a very good signing for short-term success. 

Agree about the back up to Stockley, need one through the building, who is decent but wouldn't be blowing the rest of our transfer budget on him. 
    I don’t think he rates Roddy, I just think he really doesn’t rate Oguntayo. Roddy is years away from being ready for men’s football, as is Oguntayo. 

I think Purrington is fine at LB but we won’t be getting the best out of Kirk without a quick, Da Silva/Wiggins type full back who can get up and down the pitch all game. 

I’d be happy with Joe Bennett but if I’m greedy I’d prefer a longer term signing.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Still not sure that starting 11 has enough goals in it.
    Stockley 15-20
    Gilbey 5-10
    Morgan 5
    Clare 5
    Washington 10

Yep plus the fact Adkins is aiming for 26 clean sheets if we win say 20 of those and draw 6 we technically only 20 goals for 66 points , no doubt our defensive will be key and they stay fit I can’t see us not challenging 

20 1-0 wins will be incredibly stressful season viewing
  • Sponsored links:

• LB, back up RCB, attacking midfielder, and a striker who can play on the wing (Leko mould) and we’re sorted.

Oh and a back up keeper 
    Disagree, I think we need a winger and a striker. Someone like Leko wouldn't cut it for me, we need another striker who can cover Stockley. 
     So Kirk isn't a winger then. 
    No, he's a Captain. 
    made me chuckle, 99.9% on here don't btw :)
  • If you're going by highest total in a season so far, here are the goals in our squad - in League One or above: 

Some of this is disingenuous. Stockley has never had a full season at League One level - he made the jump from League Two (where he scored 44 in two years) straight into the Championship.

Similarly, I won’t be the only one who is supremely disappointed if Albie only scored one goal this year. Even if he “flops”, he should still manage 3-4 goals from the number 10 position. If he comes of age, 5 is a big underestimate.

Agree I think Stockley is destined to prove himself this year. You can tell from his energy how much he’s up for it - great move making him captain on Saturday. 

My PNE supporting friend has always spoken very highly of him, said they signed him with great expectations but for whatever reason it just didn’t happen for him - fans always liked him but a few injuries here and there and then they signed a few extra players pushing for play offs (also a big German beauty)… 

Really rooting for him this year!! 
  • RedRobin said:
    I wouldn’t mind us going in for Matt Godden if we move Ronnie on. Down pecking order at Coventry and a big Charlton fan. 
    If he’s available bring him in. Faversham boy!
  • If you're going by highest total in a season so far, here are the goals in our squad - in League One or above: 

That's why I even said initially that Stockley would likely meet your target. 

The others? I don't think we have a midfielder that is comfortable shooting and scoring goals. We have a lot of midfielders that build up play and give it to the players to score the goals, not chip in themselves. 

Gilbey may be the one, he's just not shown it in his career so far. Same with Morgan, and the missed chances are an indicator that he's just not comfortable taking chances. 

If Adkins truly rates Roddy plus we have Oguntayo and Purrington still pretty young, I don't feel the LB necessarily needs to be a long term solution. Someone like Joe Bennett would be a very good signing for short-term success. 

Agree about the back up to Stockley, need one through the building, who is decent but wouldn't be blowing the rest of our transfer budget on him. 
    I don’t think he rates Roddy, I just think he really doesn’t rate Oguntayo. Roddy is years away from being ready for men’s football, as is Oguntayo. 

I think Purrington is fine at LB but we won’t be getting the best out of Kirk without a quick, Da Silva/Wiggins type full back who can get up and down the pitch all game. 

I’d be happy with Joe Bennett but if I’m greedy I’d prefer a longer term signing.
    If it's true about Kirk not being the best defensively, could you not argue we might be better with a solid option rather than one who could potentially get caught out of position regularly? Personally, I'd prefer to have one who can attack because we don't have that down the right, so for balance I agree with you, but I can see the argument either way. 

To be honest I'm really happy with the side now and if there is still money to spend on one or two then I don't mind who Adkins targets as a priority. I'd probably just about go for the CAM as I think a midfielder getting up to support Stockley is probably the weakest part of our side (just), but if we identify a loanee capable of doing that then great. 
  • Rothko said:
    I genuinely think Purrington gets a slightly harsh assessment.

Hes always been good when we have a good team in place and around him, see 18/19, I’d argue he was pretty faultless, and he got forward a lot.

19/20 however, when the injury crisis kicked in he looked poor, but he was surrounded by a lot of youngsters and players of less quality.

If this team has its solid foundations in place I can’t see why he wouldn’t perform well, of course we still need another LB.
    I like Purrington, solid 7.5 every week type, he’s just not a flashy full back 
    That season we went up we used to call him Mr 7/10.  That may be a little old fashioned for a full back, but he’s proven he can be part of a side that gets promoted from this league.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!