Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Need at least 4 bodies in. 

I do not see any good evidence we have replaced Aneke's 15 goals. And without those 15 last year we would be mid to lower half of the table. "Bodies" alone does not get the job done, imo, if the goal is promotion or even playoffs.
    We will score more goals this season than we did last season.

Football isn’t as simple as plugging player X in and adding 15 goals.

Wanna put some money on that prediction? We finished 4th in the division in goals (70) scored last season and I see no way we come close to that in 2021-22. How is a £20, payable via Venmo or PayPal? Very happy to lose that money if you are proven correct. B)
    You can't add players to a squad and expect the same output. By that thinking, the year we brought in Ajose and Novak they should've scored 40+ goals between them... They didn't.

Also, Chuks' output was a bit of an anomaly - he had never scored that many goals before (and scored in that many minutes per goal).

With the upgrade in athleticism in midfield, it should mean we also actually get in front of opposition players a bit more rather than allowing them uncontested shots at our goal. If we can keep Innis and Famewo for, we should not concede the same amount of goals too. That also might possibly be where we make up the 15 goals from. 
  • Go on then, a bit of fun. We can make it $20 since we’re both Stateside!

I like it!
  • 995632 said:
    Need at least 4 bodies in. 

I do not see any good evidence we have replaced Aneke's 15 goals. And without those 15 last year we would be mid to lower half of the table. "Bodies" alone does not get the job done, imo, if the goal is promotion or even playoffs.

Wanna put some money on that prediction? We finished 4th in the division in goals (70) scored last season and I see no way we come close to that in 2021-22. How is a £20, payable via Venmo or PayPal? Very happy to lose that money if you are proven correct. B)
    You can't add players to a squad and expect the same output. By that thinking, the year we brought in Ajose and Novak they should've scored 40+ goals between them... They didn't.

Also, Chuks' output was a bit of an anomaly - he had never scored that many goals before (and scored in that many minutes per goal).

With the upgrade in athleticism in midfield, it should mean we also actually get in front of opposition players a bit more rather than allowing them uncontested shots at our goal. If we can keep Innis and Famewo for, we should not concede the same amount of goals too. That also might possibly be where we make up the 15 goals from. 
    That's not scoring more though is it, that's conceding less
  • Murmurs the Crewe end that our bid of 400k has been accepted after not getting him for 500k in January. 

Probably would explain why it’s dragged on so long if Crewe wanted that extra 100 grand we offered six/seven months ago.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that the reduced fee of 400k is being negotiated with a sell-on and other add-on clauses.

• If we have got Kirk (please let it be true, quality signing at this level) then that means well be getting 5 in before the window closes. There's no way we're not going to use the available 4 remaining match day squad loan slots. I think we'll probably get at least one more perm in addition to Kirk, so that means we should be 6-7 players better off than we are right now.

Would have been nice to get it done earlier, but I think we'll be more than happy with the squad we end up with.
  • sam3110 said:
    995632 said:

My comment was more about not replacing Aneke's goals, not us scoring more goals overall.

We need more creativity than Morgan for that. 
  • Is jephcott still happening?
  • DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    not read anything yet but winger / striker should be completed on monday - cast iron source  
    Doucher is this Kirk + a striker? 
    one player - a winger / striker - i think it is kirk but cast iron could not say / would not say 
    thought he was just an out and out winger not
    sure he wld be considered a striker or has played there so poss someone else ??!
  • Sponsored links:

• 995632 said:
    sam3110 said:
    995632 said:

My comment was more about not replacing Aneke's goals, not us scoring more goals overall.

Yes but you quoted Napa, who is arguing the point that we won't score more than last season, so in this particular conversation we're talking about replacing Aneke's 15 goals with 15 actual goals, as opposed to conceding 15 less.

Anyway I agree Morgan isn't the answer
  • DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    not read anything yet but winger / striker should be completed on monday - cast iron source  
    one player - a winger / striker - i think it is kirk but cast iron could not say / would not say 
    sure he wld be considered a striker or has played there so poss someone else ??!
    As well as a touchline hugging winger, I believe Kirk can also play as a mobile wide forward in a 4-3-3 ....... which ticks our box.

• Oggy Red said:
    DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    As well as a touchline hugging winger, I believe Kirk can also play as a mobile wide forward in a 4-3-3 ....... which ticks our box.

His crossing accuracy was 31% last season. For that reason alone I am erect at the prospect of him signing.
  • Jac_52 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    DOUCHER said:

His crossing accuracy was 31% last season. For that reason alone I am erect at the prospect of him signing.
    Ooo-er, missus!   You're easily excitable. :astonished:

• Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    cfgs said:
    Think Morgan has the ability to play attacking midfield but to play in the hole you need to be a goal threat.
    That is what he has to add to his game or remain a low level player. Neither of his chances were tap ins but if you make a tower of all of his missed chances, it is getting quite noticeably high. Maybe he needs a couple against a shit defence and he won't look back.
  • I'm hoping for 4-6 signings. Anything less isn't going to be enough for anyone but the most optimistic of fans. Bringing in 7-8 would be great but it feels unrealistic when the club want a pathway for the youngters.

Clearly a LB (hopefully an attacking one, probably a loan, ideally permanent) and a left winger (Kirk?) are a must.

A RCB is also needed. I don't see a young Prem loan coming in as we can't guarantee regular game time (though I know we expect Inniss at least to pick up injuries). An older player either on loan or permanent therefore seems more likely.

Striker is a difficult one, Stockley was a 'big' signing and captained the team today. Assuming he's available he'll start most games. Perhaps another older player who will fight for their place and can also play out wide. Really need to find a way to bring someone in, otherwise an injury to Stockley leaves us hoping Davison can step up.

An experienced back up keeper might come in. If the rumours are true that's happening and it's Henderson. We've got a few young keepers and we should look to give them all game time via loans and u23 games.

That's the main five I'd expect us to target. I'd like a proven playmaker in central midfield and another winger but I don't see that happening in this window. Clayden's likely to be that winger and Morgan with the 10 shirt is someone Adkins sees growing into that playmaker role.
  • So Kirk one signing there still another as well ??
  • So Kirk one signing there still another as well ??
    Randall? 
  • sam3110 said:
    995632 said:
    sam3110 said:
    995632 said:

Yes but you quoted Napa, who is arguing the point that we won't score more than last season, so in this particular conversation we're talking about replacing Aneke's 15 goals with 15 actual goals, as opposed to conceding 15 less.

Wasn't disagreeing with Nappa as such, was pleasently surprised we scored so many when you consider the team last year. But needing to score 3 goals each time to try and get a result is crazy! 

But, if we don't concede as many then we don't need to score so many. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
  • 995632 said:
    sam3110 said:
    995632 said:
    sam3110 said:
    995632 said:

Wasn't disagreeing with Nappa as such, was pleasently surprised we scored so many when you consider the team last year. But needing to score 3 goals each time to try and get a result is crazy! 

But, if we don't concede as many then we don't need to score so many. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
    It would help if Morgan could take a decent dead ball, even a half decent would help.
  • edited August 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    cfgs said:
    Think Morgan has the ability to play attacking midfield but to play in the hole you need to be a goal threat.
    That is what he has to add to his game or remain a low level player. Neither of his chances were tap ins but if you make a tower of all of his missed chances, it is getting quite noticeably high. Maybe he needs a couple against a shit defence and he won't look back.
    Okay, more or less agree there, Muttley.

But one thing easily overlooked ......... firstly Morgan is consistently getting into these shooting positions.
    If he wasn't, he wouldn't be in a position to miss.

I'm sure he's got the technique in his locker.
    Really, it just seems a matter of improving his composure.

I agree. I have said as much before. It really feels like it is in there, but something is stopping it. It could well be confidence and composure or it could be he is a misser rather than a scorer. It is time for him to show up. He wasn't bad today but two more half chances and a poor free-kick to add to the record of missed chances and poor free-kicks.
  • Nixon reporting that shef Utd getting him 
  • edited August 2021
    Nixon reporting that shef Utd getting him 
    No he didn't, he linked to an article which reported they were keen to get him.

Which of course could end up being the case, but does not mean it is. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!