Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Hello shootershillguru ,l agree that was a good post if fans have the same patience as yourself.If ts and na came out and said that at the end of last season,we’re looking to bring in a few youngsters and a few players on frees the expectation of a lot of fans wouldn’t be so high. But no, you had NA saying that will us next year (hull celebrating winning title) and TS saying we’re gonna blow league 1 out of the water.with the squad at the moment the only thing that’s gonna blow is our chances of promotion.spend a few million get them class players,go flat out for promotion (like Ipswich) get in the championship,get 27,000 back in the stadium,Ts will soon get his money back.
  • We’re an established league one club and we’re having established league one problems. Heart has been ripped out of Charlton systematically for best part of a decade. Even the most enthusiastic and richest of owners couldn’t fix that overnight. Miraculously and thankfully our wonderful academy has remained able to produce talent. Mr. Sandgaard has ambitions but a lot of groundwork needs doing before we are again a well run club. I think he’s getting there but it’s not cheap and he’s not fantastically wealthy by football standards. We all want instant success and gratification but realistically it’s going to take a few years. No doubt we’ll be competitive but no more than probably eight or nine other clubs. Playoffs have to be our target and anything else an unbelievable bonus. I think we’ll be back in the Championship but we might not get there quite as quickly as we all hope and want. At this point CAFC are building for the future. We need to recognise that. Our time will come again I have no doubt.
    Totally agree. Sandgaard isn't throwing money about and I've seen a few idiots on twitter comparing him to RD . The obvious difference is that the former is showing he cares and putting a lot of time, effort and money into sorting the club out off the pitch. 

I hope most fans see what you see and appreciate this will take time. Always going to be a few who don't, and one criticism is that Sandgaard and to a lesser extent Adkins have increased expectation with their comments. In hindsight, this could definitely have been handled better, I'm sure the boss will learn from it. 
    The worst thing Sandgaard has done so far is the fact he's trying to keep everyone happy.

We've had that apology to that bloke prior to the Wimbledon game, and we've had the decision to reverse the Welling friendly.

Whilst I dont think there was anything wrong with the latter I think he's setting a dangerous precedent.

Just hope he continues to stay away from Social Media like he has done over the summer - I remember when the sun shone out of Southall's arse yet he still got a lot of abuse on twitter after defeats and suspect we'll see the same with Sandgaard if we dont hit the ground running this coming season.

Wont be surprised if some fans start to forget that he's been to more friendlies than Roland went to actual games and will start commenting on the fact that its alright for him because he's thousands of miles away from us in Colorado!! 
    Not sure the Welling game was down to us .. we wanted to play it week
    earlier but Welling refused because their pitch was not ready after being relaid … 
  • We’re an established league one club and we’re having established league one problems. Heart has been ripped out of Charlton systematically for best part of a decade. Even the most enthusiastic and richest of owners couldn’t fix that overnight. Miraculously and thankfully our wonderful academy has remained able to produce talent. Mr. Sandgaard has ambitions but a lot of groundwork needs doing before we are again a well run club. I think he’s getting there but it’s not cheap and he’s not fantastically wealthy by football standards. We all want instant success and gratification but realistically it’s going to take a few years. No doubt we’ll be competitive but no more than probably eight or nine other clubs. Playoffs have to be our target and anything else an unbelievable bonus. I think we’ll be back in the Championship but we might not get there quite as quickly as we all hope and want. At this point CAFC are building for the future. We need to recognise that. Our time will come again I have no doubt.
    I agree. Shame TS didn't say this instead of being in the PL in five years, European football in seven, blowing through League One this season. He has raised a lot of fans expectations, especially the village idiots on twitter, and made a rod for his own back. The majority of us can read what you have said above and realise this is the way it's going to be and be ok with that.
    Agree, he’d probably have been better off not shouting about his European ambitions. However there’s no doubt he’d have been criticised by some for not being honest about his plans or not having enough ambition. He’s never going to keep everyone happy. Some will always be more glass half empty, whatever the club and owner are doing.

It feels to me that some have almost given up on this season and decided it’s playoffs at best, and if we go up they have no expectations at all. All based on the way TS has (or hasn’t) invested in the squad over the last few months. I’d expect him to spend more if we get to the Championship. You don’t have to sign £1m+ players to get promoted from this league (although it helps), while you’re going to struggle in the Championship if you can’t spend that sort of money on a player.

The next month or so will be very interesting as all the excuses about the market will be gone. If we bring in less than 4/5 players we’ll be taking a huge gamble on 2/3 youngsters stepping up and being more than back up. I can see Clayden being one of 4 wide players and slowing building up his game time, but I’m a lot less convinced Elewere and Davison should be regular playing a part.
  • Davo53 said:
    Hello shootershillguru ,l agree that was a good post if fans have the same patience as yourself.If ts and na came out and said that at the end of last season,we’re looking to bring in a few youngsters and a few players on frees the expectation of a lot of fans wouldn’t be so high. But no, you had NA saying that will us next year (hull celebrating winning title) and TS saying we’re gonna blow league 1 out of the water.with the squad at the moment the only thing that’s gonna blow is our chances of promotion.spend a few million get them class players,go flat out for promotion (like Ipswich) get in the championship,get 27,000 back in the stadium,Ts will soon get his money back.
    I may be in the minority, but I’m glad Sandgaard hasn’t spent “a few million” on players this summer. Yes, it would have been exciting to have some big names come in, but it’s not financially viable to be spending that kind of cash in this league. I feel more positive that Sandgaard is looking at the long game and ensuring we still exist and in a position to improve/grow in the years to come. 

I’ll be very interested to hear from those who think we should be spending like Ipswich now, if in May Ipswich fail to be promoted. 
    The thing is is its not financially viable to not spend money either.

If we don't add, other than loans, to what we currently have we won't go up.  If we don't spend any more money now, next summer we will be in exactly the same position just with another 7 or 8 million quid sized hole in Thomas's pocket.   10ish out of contract players, almost all the others entering their final year.  No sellable assets.

I am still fully confident that we will bring in some quality.  For no other reason than it makes absolutely no sense not to.  If you were anywhere near break even you could argue that it makes sense to build over 3 or 4 transfer windows and bring on some kids. 

We aren't and the longer we are in league 1 the harder it will be to keep our kids, attract the better ones, attract commercial income and if we are being honest keep the good will of the fans. 
  • I think Ipswich do have a good chance of being promoted. They have spent on seemingly good quality league one players and have a very decent manager. Those two things coming together often bring success but not guaranteed by any stretch. They have also decided on a policy of spending big in league one terms. They want success now and are banking on spending their way out of the division. No idea the wealth or ambitions of their new owners but I think it’s also fair to say Ipswich haven’t been through what Charlton have been through for the last ten years. The clubs both have new owners and are starting from very different bases. They are very likely to be top six but over and above that I wouldn’t want to bet big. 
  • Scoham said:
    Two medicals tomorrow, one being Madger Gomes?
    It was the fake Henry Irving who has claimed it though...? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a rumour but some light relief on the activity page as Addick59 tells @Cafc43v3r where to go.

Get in quick before the spoilsport promote thieves delete it.
    Come to the conclusion that @Addick59 is actually a Moderator's Bot.
  • Scoham said:
    He is claiming he read it on the forums.  Its on here a few pages ago. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Who’s post was that?
  • edited July 2021
    Not a rumour but some light relief on the activity page as Addick59 tells @Cafc43v3r where to go.

If I am on another site I must have an imposter.  Imitation is the biggest form of flatory isn't it Henry 😂😂
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Who’s post was that?
    Luke1 I think the posters name was , claimed 2 medicals for Wednesday but no names. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Not a rumour but some light relief on the activity page as Addick59 tells @Cafc43v3r where to go.

If I am on another site I must have an imposter.  Imitation is the biggest for of flatory isn't it Henry 😂😂
    indeed
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Who’s post was that?
    Luke1 I think the posters name was , claimed 2 medicals for Wednesday but no names. 
    Yeah on page 461 and 462, I just spent 5 minutes looking for that. I really need to do some work. 
  • edited July 2021
     Any updates maybe please @Covered_End_Lad...you sounded pretty confident yesterday, and wondered if you may have heard anything further?
    A rumour, A rumour, My Kingdom for a rumour.. B)
  • Slightly off topic but hey, who would notice on this thread, showing on the OS that JFC will be on the mic with Terry tonight at Palarse, so there you go, be interesting to have another take on the commentary, now as you were everyone... B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Nixon's latest tweet answers a lot of questions as to why things won't be moving very fast until next week.

• Davo53 said:
    Hello shootershillguru ,l agree that was a good post if fans have the same patience as yourself.If ts and na came out and said that at the end of last season,we’re looking to bring in a few youngsters and a few players on frees the expectation of a lot of fans wouldn’t be so high. But no, you had NA saying that will us next year (hull celebrating winning title) and TS saying we’re gonna blow league 1 out of the water.with the squad at the moment the only thing that’s gonna blow is our chances of promotion.spend a few million get them class players,go flat out for promotion (like Ipswich) get in the championship,get 27,000 back in the stadium,Ts will soon get his money back.
    I may be in the minority, but I’m glad Sandgaard hasn’t spent “a few million” on players this summer. Yes, it would have been exciting to have some big names come in, but it’s not financially viable to be spending that kind of cash in this league. I feel more positive that Sandgaard is looking at the long game and ensuring we still exist and in a position to improve/grow in the years to come. 

I’ll be very interested to hear from those who think we should be spending like Ipswich now, if in May Ipswich fail to be promoted. 
    I really don't care about Ipswich, I want us to get promoted. I get the fact that TS has come in & possibly saved the club from extinction & we should all be grateful for that. I also get that it's his money that some of us are trying to spend but really we need to get out of this division asap & I don't see it happening this season taking the approach that we have. We should be ( & maybe were) challenging for the best players in this division not hunting around for bargains or relying on youngsters who aren't ready for league 1 football. Again I appreciate that it's his money but getting to the championship is imperative & we can take stock when we get there & build steadily. All we seem to be  doing at the moment is treading water & we'll probably be having the same conversation next close season.
    We all want to get promoted, there’s different ways of doing that in the lower leagues. Throwing money at a problem doesn’t always help, proven by some of the clubs who have tired and remain in League 1. Building a strong squad which actually works together is key, which I presume is what Gallen and co are working on. Not just buying any player because they are deemed as one of the best in this league. 

I don’t see it as we’re hunting for bargains, personally I think bringing in Stockley, MacGillivray, Dobson and Clare is really good business, plus Famewo on loan. Of course, we need some more signings, but there’s still time before transfer and loan windows close. 
  • Addickted said:
    Nixon's latest tweet answers a lot of questions as to why things won't be moving very fast until next week.

I don't get that logic. Even if you're still being paid for July, surely you could be training with your new club already, or sign for a club, salary starting from the 1st August

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_Accrington_Stanley_F.C._season#Transfers_in

Accrington have signed 10 players this month, so it hasn't stopped them signing players
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!