Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Sage said:
    Paul Cook is an excellent manager and would be surprised if Ipswich fail to get promoted this coming season. They’ve done some excellent business, albeit spending a lot of money. But Cook is proven and knows how to win a league and if it wasn’t for administration, would’ve kept Wigan up the other year.
    I don’t get all this blowing smoke up Paul Cook’s Neil Harris. Adkins has won this league and the league above more times than he has. Cook’s win % at Ipswich so far is 25%, Adkins at Charlton is 50%. We’ll be finishing above Ipswich again this season, despite the world class players they’ve signed from MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon!

You're welcome to your sarcasm, but we Bought Clive Mendonca from Grimsby and Lyle Taylor from Wimbledon. Obviously there will be duds  but how can buying very good League 1 players be a bad thing ?
    Pigott and Fraser are very good League 1 players. Are you Just jealous we didn't get them ?

Ipswich and Wigan are League 1 clubs, and so are we,  so you are limited to the type of players you can attract. Mainly Journey men and youngsters or in our wembley winning team some great loanee's as well.

I like Nigel Adkins but having Lambert, Lallana, Barnard, Kelvin Davies,
    Oxlade-Chamberlain, Richardson, Fonte, Schneiderlin etc in League1 he was probably disappointed they only finished runners up. 

There are two sides to this though.

Southampton achieved 92 points (after a poor start) and were just 3 points behind a Brighton squad that had Ashley Barnes, Glenn Murray and Chris Wood up top (48 L1 goals between them that season), Elliot Bennett (played 36 times for Norwich in the PL the following season), Inigo Calderon (150 plus games in the Championship for them), Liam Bridcutt (sold for £2.5m), our own Radostin Kishishev, Tommy Elphick (sold to Bournemouth and promoted with them and then subsequently sold to Villa for £3m) and Gordon Greer (over 200 subsequent Championship games).

It's also worth bearing in mind that Oxlade-Chamberlain was 17 for the duration of that season and sold at the end of it for £12m to Arsenal. 
  • Was going to say, that Brighton team was exceptional, which makes the following promotion from the Championship for Southampton so good 
  • The home kit been pushed back to later in the week … read into that what you will 
    Yeah I’m not reading into it all, think that was always the plan. What happened to the signing we made on Friday? 
  • The home kit been pushed back to later in the week … read into that what you will 
    New kit to be unveiled at KO on 7th August 2021.
    The players will run on the pitch, to the Red Red Robin, in just their pants, as the new kits will be in the centre circle waiting for them
    New kit to be unveiled at KO on 7th August 2021.
    The players will run on the pitch, to the Red Red Robin, in just their pants, as the new kits will be in the centre circle waiting for them
    As long as they dodge TS's fire shooting guitar borrowed from KISS
  • right, i think its about time we livened this transfer window up 
  • any suggestions ?
  • DOUCHER said:
    any suggestions ?
    Ketamine?
  • Laddick01 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    any suggestions ?
    Ketamine?
    Good striker - bit headstrong 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Paul Cook is an excellent manager and would be surprised if Ipswich fail to get promoted this coming season. They’ve done some excellent business, albeit spending a lot of money. But Cook is proven and knows how to win a league and if it wasn’t for administration, would’ve kept Wigan up the other year.
    I don’t get all this blowing smoke up Paul Cook’s Neil Harris. Adkins has won this league and the league above more times than he has. Cook’s win % at Ipswich so far is 25%, Adkins at Charlton is 50%. We’ll be finishing above Ipswich again this season, despite the world class players they’ve signed from MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon!

You're welcome to your sarcasm, but we Bought Clive Mendonca from Grimsby and Lyle Taylor from Wimbledon. Obviously there will be duds  but how can buying very good League 1 players be a bad thing ?
    Pigott and Fraser are very good League 1 players. Are you Just jealous we didn't get them ?

Ipswich and Wigan are League 1 clubs, and so are we,  so you are limited to the type of players you can attract. Mainly Journey men and youngsters or in our wembley winning team some great loanee's as well.

I like Nigel Adkins but having Lambert, Lallana, Barnard, Kelvin Davies,
    Oxlade-Chamberlain, Richardson, Fonte, Schneiderlin etc in League1 he was probably disappointed they only finished runners up. 

There are two sides to this though.

Southampton achieved 92 points (after a poor start) and were just 3 points behind a Brighton squad that had Ashley Barnes, Glenn Murray and Chris Wood up top (48 L1 goals between them that season), Elliot Bennett (played 36 times for Norwich in the PL the following season), Inigo Calderon (150 plus games in the Championship for them), Liam Bridcutt (sold for £2.5m), our own Radostin Kishishev, Tommy Elphick (sold to Bournemouth and promoted with them and then subsequently sold to Villa for £3m) and Gordon Greer (over 200 subsequent Championship games).

It's also worth bearing in mind that Oxlade-Chamberlain was 17 for the duration of that season and sold at the end of it for £12m to Arsenal. 
    Barnes, Murray and Wood is a ridiculous strike force for league one, although Wood and Barnes would've been pretty young at the time.
  • John Terry looks like he on his way to Swansea ??
    It's always nice to have a team in each division you want to fail, cheers Swansea
  • John Terry looks like he on his way to Swansea ??
    It's always nice to have a team in each division you want to fail, cheers Swansea
    might just as well call Swansea Chelsea Reserves
  • DOUCHER said:
    John Terry looks like he on his way to Swansea ??
    might just as well call Swansea Chelsea Reserves
    Will definitely be that if it's Jody Morris they appoint
  • #Pompey exploring move for Milwall's Ben Thompson - but the midfielder’s Championship wages are proving an insurmountable mountain to climb | Portsmouth News
  • #Pompey exploring move for Milwall's Ben Thompson - but the midfielder’s Championship wages are proving an insurmountable mountain to climb | Portsmouth News
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/91883/summer-transfer-window-non-charlton-signings-rumours#latest
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Scoham said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Laddick01 said:
    WSS said:
    Interesting that Gallen talking about players to get us in the top six, rather than get promoted.
    It makes a lot of sense. Wouldn’t read too much into it.

If you can get into the top 6 you’re going to be there or thereabouts in terms of promotion. 
    Three of the top six will not get promoted.

What happened to "blow this league out the water"?

And the five-year plan to get to the Premier League?

Yes, yes ... I'm delighted that we have a genuine owner, and that we are not being run by spivs etc.  And that we have a Club to support.

But the goalposts seemed to have moved dramatically since Sandgaard first took over.

Me?  I'll settle for a ten-year plan.

Maybe time for Sandgaard to articulate the new long-term vision.  Because, sure as Hell, the original hyperbole ain't gonna happen.  
    If TS talked about the long term plans again I doubt he'd say anything has changed. I think he's so optimistic (or naive/deluded depending on your view) he feels we can win the league without spending like Ipswich or Wigan.

It looks like he believes it can be done through intelligent recruitment and investment in the right areas. Finding good value for money rather than outspending everyone.

He's also patient and probably expects to bring in some bargains and quality loans as we move towards the end of the window. There are clubs out there that will need the money and good players out of contract getting their last payment from their previous contract this month.

If he gets it wrong this season he'll end up spending a lot more on another promotion attempt than had he gone for it a bit more this summer. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, for me we still need 4/5 signings as a minimum, ideally a few more than that.
    So you think that Premier League in five years (remembering that one has already been wasted by Bowyer) is still feasible ... and on Sandgaard's radar?

I wish that you are right.
    Does it really matter right now, at this stage?

It's a target, which may be hit or not. But you've got to have a plan, something to aim for.

This time last year we couldn't even be sure we could start the season or even have a club to support.
    Sandgaard has come in when nobody else would touch us, and he's ambitious. But he's not chucking money around like confetti.

Something is building at Charlton, the foundations are being put in place.
    I reckon we should just enjoy the journey, however long it takes.

Really it's just about watching the football. You know, that's the reason why we go to Charlton.

It only takes 1 season to get promoted after all.

My 5 year goal would be to get out and stay out of this division. Anything else is a bonus.
    In the championship your almost always either trying to get promoted or avoiding getting relegated.  There isn't much middle ground.  If you aim to just stay up you will get relegated eventually. 
    These days QPR is a club that always seems to be mid table. Never in with a shout of promotion, never really in danger of relegation. Boring as hell. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Scoham said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Laddick01 said:
    WSS said:
    Interesting that Gallen talking about players to get us in the top six, rather than get promoted.

If you can get into the top 6 you’re going to be there or thereabouts in terms of promotion. 

Yes, yes ... I'm delighted that we have a genuine owner, and that we are not being run by spivs etc.  And that we have a Club to support.

But the goalposts seemed to have moved dramatically since Sandgaard first took over.

Maybe time for Sandgaard to articulate the new long-term vision.  Because, sure as Hell, the original hyperbole ain't gonna happen.  
    If TS talked about the long term plans again I doubt he'd say anything has changed. I think he's so optimistic (or naive/deluded depending on your view) he feels we can win the league without spending like Ipswich or Wigan.

It looks like he believes it can be done through intelligent recruitment and investment in the right areas. Finding good value for money rather than outspending everyone.

He's also patient and probably expects to bring in some bargains and quality loans as we move towards the end of the window. There are clubs out there that will need the money and good players out of contract getting their last payment from their previous contract this month.

If he gets it wrong this season he'll end up spending a lot more on another promotion attempt than had he gone for it a bit more this summer. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, for me we still need 4/5 signings as a minimum, ideally a few more than that.
    So you think that Premier League in five years (remembering that one has already been wasted by Bowyer) is still feasible ... and on Sandgaard's radar?

It's a target, which may be hit or not. But you've got to have a plan, something to aim for.

This time last year we couldn't even be sure we could start the season or even have a club to support.
    Sandgaard has come in when nobody else would touch us, and he's ambitious. But he's not chucking money around like confetti.

Really it's just about watching the football. You know, that's the reason why we go to Charlton.

My 5 year goal would be to get out and stay out of this division. Anything else is a bonus.
    In the championship your almost always either trying to get promoted or avoiding getting relegated.  There isn't much middle ground.  If you aim to just stay up you will get relegated eventually. 
    These days QPR is a club that always seems to be mid table. Never in with a shout of promotion, never really in danger of relegation. Boring as hell. 
     They had a really boring 4-2 win on Saturday.  Highlights showed excellent  finishing with their goal of the season done already. 
    You do realise that the original post was talking about qpr being slap bang average in the championship? A pre season win and a good goal doesn’t change that
  • edited July 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Scoham said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Laddick01 said:
    WSS said:

Haven't been outside the top 2 divisions for 18 years and were in the PL 6 years ago. Currently we can only aspire to being that boring.
    You could be in the Premier for years and still be fecking boring, look no further that Shitehouse Park for instance.. B)
  • edited July 2021
    QPR: Been boring since the late nineties. 
    You’ll find that a lot of their fans agree. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Scoham said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Laddick01 said:
    WSS said:

Haven't been outside the top 2 divisions for 18 years and were in the PL 6 years ago. Currently we can only aspire to being that boring.
    You could be in the Premier for years and still be fecking boring, look no further that Shitehouse Park for instance.. B)

When we were last in the Premier, I always thought Bolton were very boring hated playing them.
  • Addick_8 said:
    This thread is finished isn’t it?
    We lack a solid ITK and Crawley is quite. What on earth will I do until the season starts?
    Just open the Twitter thread:
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/75822/twitter-no-comments-just-post-your-favourite-tweets#latest

I might have to myself  ..... I've 7.8k unread posts.
    That'll keep me busy until lunchtime tomorrow. :smile:

• Davo53 said:
    Trust me bowselecta Ipswich will be champions this season they will be the team “blowing league 1 out of water”.with teams like Wigan portsmouth Sunderland Sheffield Wednesday,I can’t for the life of me see us finishing in the top six we couldn’t do it last season and the squad this season is a lot weaker. Promotion % top six 20% 7th to 12th 80%
    Apart from Wigan and Ipswich what makes you so confident about the others?

Portsmouth have a ton of trialists at the moment and have lost a good portion of their squad from last year; Sunderland still havent replaced someone who scored 30-goals last term - Sheffield Wednesday are in utter disarray.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!