Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Don't ask me how, but I've got a feeling in my water this morning that there will be incoming(s) announced today.
    Well that worked a treat! Let's try a different approach.

Don't ask me how, but I've got a feeling in my water this morning that there will not be any incoming(s) announced today.

You’re going to be on dazzlers green list with that one. 😎
  • Laddick01 said:
    Sage said:
    Paul Cook is an excellent manager and would be surprised if Ipswich fail to get promoted this coming season. They’ve done some excellent business, albeit spending a lot of money. But Cook is proven and knows how to win a league and if it wasn’t for administration, would’ve kept Wigan up the other year.
    I don’t get all this blowing smoke up Paul Cook’s Neil Harris. Adkins has won this league and the league above more times than he has. Cook’s win % at Ipswich so far is 25%, Adkins at Charlton is 50%. We’ll be finishing above Ipswich again this season, despite the world class players they’ve signed from MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon!
    Whilst I admire the positivity I can’t quite agree. I’m
    very happy with Adkins but I do think Cook is the best manager in this division. He knows how to get teams promoted.

Last season Ipswich were a joke. By the time he came in it was pretty much accepted Ipswich were useless. The stats are bad, but it was more of the manager experimenting to figure out who was worth keeping.

I don’t think we will do badly at all this season, but saying we’ll finish above them at this point seems unlikely. Let’s be honest, we’d have all loved to have signed Fraser and Pigott.

I’m not trying to say Ipswich are the best side league one has ever seen before a ball has been kicked, however they have done a lot of stuff very well in this off season. At the moment, they are stronger than us.
    Would have taken Fraser but happy to stay away from Piggot. 

Out of both Wigan and Ipswich signings, there is only 1 player from each team I would take (Humphrys Wigan and Fraser Ipswich.)
  • Is there any update from the person who said there would be an announcement concerning new signing today sorry can’t remember his name ??.. 

Mystic Meg
    Mystic Meg Lad Boy actually ;)

• Uboat said:

Not intelligent enough to know the difference between an adverb and an adjective. 
    Nor intelligent enough to notice the massive initials on his shirt before adding them in blue felt pen on the club badge so that everyone knew it was his!?
  • Reckon his boots have 'L' and 'R' on them as well?
  • The home kit been pushed back to later in the week … read into that what you will 
  • Charlton Athletic have joined Hull City in pursuit of Sheffield United midfielder Regan Slater, according to Hull Live
  • Sponsored links:

• cfgs said:
    The home kit been pushed back to later in the week … read into that what you will 
    That they always do them over a few days. 
    And that it was always going to be just one today - From the OS:

• The home kit been pushed back to later in the week … read into that what you will 
    Pushed back?  When was it earlier? 
  • Is there any update from the person who said there would be an announcement concerning new signing today sorry can’t remember his name ??.. 

Mystic Meg
    Mystic Meg Lad actually ;)

No need  to call me lad.
  • edited July 2021
    Sage said:
    Paul Cook is an excellent manager and would be surprised if Ipswich fail to get promoted this coming season. They’ve done some excellent business, albeit spending a lot of money. But Cook is proven and knows how to win a league and if it wasn’t for administration, would’ve kept Wigan up the other year.
    I don’t get all this blowing smoke up Paul Cook’s Neil Harris. Adkins has won this league and the league above more times than he has. Cook’s win % at Ipswich so far is 25%, Adkins at Charlton is 50%. We’ll be finishing above Ipswich again this season, despite the world class players they’ve signed from MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon!

You're welcome to your sarcasm, but we Bought Clive Mendonca from Grimsby and Lyle Taylor from Wimbledon. Obviously there will be duds  but how can buying very good League 1 players be a bad thing ?
    Pigott and Fraser are very good League 1 players. Are you Just jealous we didn't get them ?

Ipswich and Wigan are League 1 clubs, and so are we,  so you are limited to the type of players you can attract. Mainly Journey men and youngsters or in our wembley winning team some great loanee's as well.

I like Nigel Adkins but having Lambert, Lallana, Barnard, Kelvin Davies,
    Oxlade-Chamberlain, Richardson, Fonte, Schneiderlin etc in League1 he was probably disappointed they only finished runners up. 

8pm today is the new deadline for the signing to be announced. There is a lot riding on this for Nostradamus AKA CEL.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Why does Gallen watch Celtic regularly?  Business or pleasure? Both? 
    My take: To play Celtic is one of the toughest fixtures for opponents in Scottish football.

If an opposition player stands out or has a very good game against Celtic, ably demonstrating his own qualities against difficult opponents, that will impress other clubs scouts.

Just my take only, of course.

• John Terry looks like he on his way to Swansea ??
    If only there was a thread for that.....

Any up date on Ryan Broom or was it Basil Brush? 
  • Don't think there's anything in the Regan Slater rumour either , thought that got denied at the start of the month?
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    Don't think there's anything in the Regan Slater rumour either , thought that got denied at the start of the month?
    The article says is or Preston are very unlikely to happen.  It's almost if they just chucked Nigle's name in there because he is an ex Hull manager. 
  • If nothing is announced today surely that confirms nothing has happened no club would hold off announcing this long
    New kit to be unveiled at KO on 7th August 2021.
    What? I have just been sold a genuine kit on the market, he promised it's real.
    Too old.
  • Sage said:
    Don’t forget that they also have Bonne. Voted the most terrible player in the history of football by Charlton fans in 20019 and 2020

And QPR fans in 2021 and Ipswich fans in 2022.
  • Jac_52 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Scoham said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Laddick01 said:
    WSS said:
    Interesting that Gallen talking about players to get us in the top six, rather than get promoted.
    It makes a lot of sense. Wouldn’t read too much into it.

If you can get into the top 6 you’re going to be there or thereabouts in terms of promotion. 
    Three of the top six will not get promoted.

What happened to "blow this league out the water"?

And the five-year plan to get to the Premier League?

Yes, yes ... I'm delighted that we have a genuine owner, and that we are not being run by spivs etc.  And that we have a Club to support.

But the goalposts seemed to have moved dramatically since Sandgaard first took over.

Me?  I'll settle for a ten-year plan.

Maybe time for Sandgaard to articulate the new long-term vision.  Because, sure as Hell, the original hyperbole ain't gonna happen.  
    If TS talked about the long term plans again I doubt he'd say anything has changed. I think he's so optimistic (or naive/deluded depending on your view) he feels we can win the league without spending like Ipswich or Wigan.

It looks like he believes it can be done through intelligent recruitment and investment in the right areas. Finding good value for money rather than outspending everyone.

He's also patient and probably expects to bring in some bargains and quality loans as we move towards the end of the window. There are clubs out there that will need the money and good players out of contract getting their last payment from their previous contract this month.

If he gets it wrong this season he'll end up spending a lot more on another promotion attempt than had he gone for it a bit more this summer. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, for me we still need 4/5 signings as a minimum, ideally a few more than that.
    So you think that Premier League in five years (remembering that one has already been wasted by Bowyer) is still feasible ... and on Sandgaard's radar?

I wish that you are right.
    Does it really matter right now, at this stage?

It's a target, which may be hit or not. But you've got to have a plan, something to aim for.

This time last year we couldn't even be sure we could start the season or even have a club to support.
    Sandgaard has come in when nobody else would touch us, and he's ambitious. But he's not chucking money around like confetti.

Something is building at Charlton, the foundations are being put in place.
    I reckon we should just enjoy the journey, however long it takes.

Really it's just about watching the football. You know, that's the reason why we go to Charlton.

It only takes 1 season to get promoted after all.

My 5 year goal would be to get out and stay out of this division. Anything else is a bonus.
    In the championship your almost always either trying to get promoted or avoiding getting relegated.  There isn't much middle ground.  If you aim to just stay up you will get relegated eventually. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!