Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Laddick01 said:
    WSS said:
    Interesting that Gallen talking about players to get us in the top six, rather than get promoted.
    It makes a lot of sense. Wouldn’t read too much into it.

If you can get into the top 6 you’re going to be there or thereabouts in terms of promotion. 
    Three of the top six will not get promoted.

What happened to "blow this league out the water"?

And the five-year plan to get to the Premier League?

Yes, yes ... I'm delighted that we have a genuine owner, and that we are not being run by spivs etc.  And that we have a Club to support.

But the goalposts seemed to have moved dramatically since Sandgaard first took over.

Me?  I'll settle for a ten-year plan.

Maybe time for Sandgaard to articulate the new long-term vision.  Because, sure as Hell, the original hyperbole ain't gonna happen.  
    If TS talked about the long term plans again I doubt he'd say anything has changed. I think he's so optimistic (or naive/deluded depending on your view) he feels we can win the league without spending like Ipswich or Wigan.

It looks like he believes it can be done through intelligent recruitment and investment in the right areas. Finding good value for money rather than outspending everyone.

He's also patient and probably expects to bring in some bargains and quality loans as we move towards the end of the window. There are clubs out there that will need the money and good players out of contract getting their last payment from their previous contract this month.

If he gets it wrong this season he'll end up spending a lot more on another promotion attempt than had he gone for it a bit more this summer. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, for me we still need 4/5 signings as a minimum, ideally a few more than that.
    So you think that Premier League in five years (remembering that one has already been wasted by Bowyer) is still feasible ... and on Sandgaard's radar?

I wish that you are right.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Scoham said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Laddick01 said:
    WSS said:
    Interesting that Gallen talking about players to get us in the top six, rather than get promoted.

If you can get into the top 6 you’re going to be there or thereabouts in terms of promotion. 

Yes, yes ... I'm delighted that we have a genuine owner, and that we are not being run by spivs etc.  And that we have a Club to support.

But the goalposts seemed to have moved dramatically since Sandgaard first took over.

Maybe time for Sandgaard to articulate the new long-term vision.  Because, sure as Hell, the original hyperbole ain't gonna happen.  
    If TS talked about the long term plans again I doubt he'd say anything has changed. I think he's so optimistic (or naive/deluded depending on your view) he feels we can win the league without spending like Ipswich or Wigan.

It looks like he believes it can be done through intelligent recruitment and investment in the right areas. Finding good value for money rather than outspending everyone.

He's also patient and probably expects to bring in some bargains and quality loans as we move towards the end of the window. There are clubs out there that will need the money and good players out of contract getting their last payment from their previous contract this month.

If he gets it wrong this season he'll end up spending a lot more on another promotion attempt than had he gone for it a bit more this summer. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, for me we still need 4/5 signings as a minimum, ideally a few more than that.
    So you think that Premier League in five years (remembering that one has already been wasted by Bowyer) is still feasible ... and on Sandgaard's radar?

I think the point is more that it seems Sandgaard appears to think it feasible. Possibly incorrectly but that's not definitely the case either way yet 
  • Richard J said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Why does Gallen watch Celtic regularly?  Business or pleasure? Both? 
    I think he is a fan .

Since he has been with us we have signed a few ex Celtic players . Aiden McGeady , Beram Kayal  , Joe Ledley and of course Adam Matthews .

Matthews aside, all rubbish for us.  Maybe he should start watching Rangers. 😃
  • Of course money doesn't buy success, but it bloody well helps!

Adkins' Southampton that went up in 2010/11 had a £1m striker up front in Rickie Lambert. Phil Parkinson had the likes of Paul Benson,  Pawel Abbott and Frank Nouble as his strikers...
  • Aren’t they spunking US pensioners money? What could go wrong…
    Yep, the most weirdly mental investment into UK football so far.  Even if they do blow through L1, I am not sure the likes of Piggy will blow them through the Champ so they will have to spend big again, running up more losses again whilst competing with PL parachute payment teams. 
  • thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Clarky said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I wouldn't say just because Ipswich are in for him you can rule us out, if we even are in.

The problem is Inniss. Are you going to attract a good enough player to back him up or do you just get the best RCB you can and if Inniss can't get in the team, tough?  That second option could be more expensive.  I don't think you can get a loan as back up, unless it's an older player that someone wants off the wage bill. 
    If we are managing Inniss to get him through friendlies how often is he going to be able to play three games in 8 days? I would say a loan would be a good call and I will wager they play half a season.
    That's exactly my point do you aim high and when Inniss is available he might not play?

Or do you do you say Inniss is my first choice but might only play 20 games and you'll play the rest? 

Its a difficult call, and to attract a loan, because center halves very rarely got the chance to force there way into the team through sub appearances. You bring an attacking player off the bench in almost every game. 
    Honestly, any CB we look at should be good enough to be first choice on their own merit and let Inniss be the one to prove his quality/fitness and fight for a chance.

Such a CB would be very hard to find I grant you but for me Inniss cannot be counted on as a first choice defender for a whole season.
    Inniss doesn’t have to prove his quality. He’s probably the best RCB in the league. He’s hugely important defensively and in attacking dead ball positions
    His fitness is another matter. But I’m pretty sure they’ll try and get every minute they can out of him. 
  • Rangers forum is saying that Edmundson has left and signed a 3 year deal with an as yet unknown club 
  • Edmundson would be quite a coup for us. 23 years old, great height and experience. 

Fully expect him to sign for either Ipswich or Wigan.
    Why … if we want someone we will get him like  Clare 

This story came from Portsmouth everything they are interested in someone they add Charlton Sunderland and Ipswich to the story .. think it gives them an excuse to their fans when he don’t join them ..
    I agree with your last sentence, but can't agree that 'if we want someone we will get him', especially when it's pretty common knowledge that Ipswich and Wigan are paying higher salaries, and probably Sunderland too. 
  • DA9 said:
    Rangers forum is saying that Edmundson has left and signed a 3 year deal with an as yet unknown club 
    Twitter seems to think it's almost certainly Ipswich
  • Edmundson would be quite a coup for us. 23 years old, great height and experience. 

This story came from Portsmouth everything they are interested in someone they add Charlton Sunderland and Ipswich to the story .. think it gives them an excuse to their fans when he don’t join them ..
    I agree with your last sentence, but can't agree that 'if we want someone we will get him', especially when it's pretty common knowledge that Ipswich and Wigan are paying higher salaries, and probably Sunderland too. 
    We beat Sunderland and Ipswich to his signature so we either paid Oxford more or offered better contract ?
  • Sponsored links:

• According to Scottish  newspaper Daily Record only Derby and Ipswich are interested , Derby can only offer him a loan deal but Ipswich have offered 3 year deal …

No mention of us ..

We beat Sunderland and Ipswich to his signature so we either paid Oxford more or offered better contract ?
    I was talking in general, not about Clare.
  • Watching the highlights of the last few games of last season on Charlton Tv. Im surprised at how many times our good lead up play was through Maatsen and Millar. Having said that I was really impressed by Owen Dale of Crewe, could he fill the void left by Millar?
  • TEL said:
    Watching the highlights of the last few games of last season on Charlton Tv. Im surprised at how many times our good lead up play was through Maatsen and Millar. Having said that I was really impressed by Owen Dale of Crewe, could he fill the void left by Millar?
    Yes, they were both key players in the good run we had later in the season. Desperately  need replacements for both of them.
  • TEL said:
    Watching the highlights of the last few games of last season on Charlton Tv. Im surprised at how many times our good lead up play was through Maatsen and Millar. Having said that I was really impressed by Owen Dale of Crewe, could he fill the void left by Millar?
    Owen Dale would be an excellent target , however I think Crewe will want a very substantial fee for him , probably championship interest to contend with too 
  • JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Clarky said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I wouldn't say just because Ipswich are in for him you can rule us out, if we even are in.

The problem is Inniss. Are you going to attract a good enough player to back him up or do you just get the best RCB you can and if Inniss can't get in the team, tough?  That second option could be more expensive.  I don't think you can get a loan as back up, unless it's an older player that someone wants off the wage bill. 
    If we are managing Inniss to get him through friendlies how often is he going to be able to play three games in 8 days? I would say a loan would be a good call and I will wager they play half a season.
    That's exactly my point do you aim high and when Inniss is available he might not play?

Or do you do you say Inniss is my first choice but might only play 20 games and you'll play the rest? 

Its a difficult call, and to attract a loan, because center halves very rarely got the chance to force there way into the team through sub appearances. You bring an attacking player off the bench in almost every game. 
    Honestly, any CB we look at should be good enough to be first choice on their own merit and let Inniss be the one to prove his quality/fitness and fight for a chance.

Such a CB would be very hard to find I grant you but for me Inniss cannot be counted on as a first choice defender for a whole season.
    Inniss doesn’t have to prove his quality. He’s probably the best RCB in the league. He’s hugely important defensively and in attacking dead ball positions
    His fitness is another matter. But I’m pretty sure they’ll try and get every minute they can out of him. 
    Sure, but after last season his fitness is massively important. We shouldn't be looking at a CB to be back up to him, we should be assuming that the new CB is going to be first choice instead.

I'd love a whole season of Inniss in defence but past seasons say that would be a fluke.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Scoham said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Laddick01 said:
    WSS said:

Personally no, it’s unlikely given the spending in the Championship. I do think we can make a lot of progress in the next few years though, even if that’s just stabilising in the Championship.

In Sandgaard’s mind I’d say yes, he believes we’ll find a way. This transfer window doesn’t necessarily mean every future one under him will go the same way. He could bring in new investors. We could start spending more if we’ve made a big sale or two in the way clubs like Brentford do. Or maybe he’s just extremely confident in the way we’re going to recruit signings and develop players from the academy.
  • DA9 said:
    Rangers forum is saying that Edmundson has left and signed a 3 year deal with an as yet unknown club 
    Doubt it's us , only giving out 2 year deals these days 
  • Sponsored links:

• CA1975FC said:
    DA9 said:
    Apart from Stockley, Schwartz and DJ you mean.
  • Sage said:
    Paul Cook is an excellent manager and would be surprised if Ipswich fail to get promoted this coming season. They’ve done some excellent business, albeit spending a lot of money. But Cook is proven and knows how to win a league and if it wasn’t for administration, would’ve kept Wigan up the other year.
    It’s going to be a very competitive league this season. Throwing the cash around won’t be the way to get one of those 3 promotion spots, signing the right players to put out a competitive team for this league every week will be.
  • Scoham said:
    CA1975FC said:
    DA9 said:
    Apart from Stockley, Schwartz and DJ you mean.
    Talking about the last couple signings 
  • CA1975FC said:
    DA9 said:
    Its not us. Footy Insider has already revealed its Ipswich.
  • Sage said:
    Paul Cook is an excellent manager and would be surprised if Ipswich fail to get promoted this coming season. They’ve done some excellent business, albeit spending a lot of money. But Cook is proven and knows how to win a league and if it wasn’t for administration, would’ve kept Wigan up the other year.
    I don’t get all this blowing smoke up Paul Cook’s Neil Harris. Adkins has won this league and the league above more times than he has. Cook’s win % at Ipswich so far is 25%, Adkins at Charlton is 50%. We’ll be finishing above Ipswich again this season, despite the world class players they’ve signed from MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon!
    I don't get the massive love-in for Portsmouth's manager either...
  • Sage said:
    I don’t get all this blowing smoke up Paul Cook’s Neil Harris. Adkins has won this league and the league above more times than he has. Cook’s win % at Ipswich so far is 25%, Adkins at Charlton is 50%. We’ll be finishing above Ipswich again this season, despite the world class players they’ve signed from MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon!
    That isn't true. Adkins has won league one with Scunthorpe. Cook won it with Wigan. Adkins hasn't won the championship.

Cook also won league two with Chesterfield and Portsmouth.
  • Sage said:
    Liked this initially but would have given you a "lol" for this line! Brilliant! 
  • Sage said:
    Don’t forget that they also have Bonne. Voted the most terrible player in the history of football by Charlton fans in 20019 and 2020
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!