Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Redrobo said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Taylor Richards from Brighton is one I thought looked quality last season.
    Very similar to the way Aribo plays.

Haven’t seen him linked to anyone (or moved) but he’s be class in our midfield 
    Great call.
    6’ and out of contract next year. Maybe get a right to buy - although Brighton spent a lot buying him from Man City.
    I keep telling your guys, we wont he signing players for much money. Expect the next couple of signings to be frees & loans.
    Apart from the 800,000 we already spent ?
    Where did you get that figure from.....just plucked it out of the sky methinks as all our transfers that we have paid money for have been "undisclosed". 

I will concede we paid around £300k for Stockley but Oxford (according to Robinson) would be looking for the £100k they spent on Ckaee 2 years ago......and Dobson was released by Sunderland by mutual consent. 

Be lucky I'd we've spent £500k - and over half of that was on Stockley. 
    Oxford wanted to at least recoup the 100k they paid so I’d imagine it was a bit more but yes I agree the 800k is definitely topish.
  • Laddick01 said:
    WSS said:
    Interesting that Gallen talking about players to get us in the top six, rather than get promoted.
    It makes a lot of sense. Wouldn’t read too much into it.

If you can get into the top 6 you’re going to be there or thereabouts in terms of promotion. 
    Beat me too it!!👍 only one post behind, great minds think alike!!🤣
  • WSS said:
    Interesting that Gallen talking about players to get us in the top six, rather than get promoted.
    Called taking the pressure off the players .. every club wants to win the league but first thing first get into top 6 and then you need the luck with injuries  ref  decisions and run of the ball to get top 2 …. 

• Shrewsbury target Sam Vokes is likely to be heading elsewhere from Stoke this summer, boss Steve Cotterill has conceded.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Why does Gallen watch Celtic regularly?  Business or pleasure? Both? 
    I think he is a fan .

Since he has been with us we have signed a few ex Celtic players . Aiden McGeady , Beram Kayal  , Joe Ledley and of course Adam Matthews .
  • Richard J said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Why does Gallen watch Celtic regularly?  Business or pleasure? Both? 
    I think he is a fan .

Since he has been with us we have signed a few ex Celtic players . Aiden McGeady , Beram Kayal  , Joe Ledley and of course Adam Matthews .
    🤮
  • Definitely not ITK but reading though this thread where someone mentioned a Stoke player and Gallen hinting at experience could Sam Vokes be a possibility 
    That is the sort of deal which would I suspect only emerge in the last days of deadline day . Similar to Andrew Shinnie or Jamie Ward when Stoke may want to offload some wages  . I had also read Sunderland fancied Vokes .

Another expensive Stoke flop who might become available if he can't get a Championship gig is Tom Ince .
  • Definitely not ITK but reading though this thread where someone mentioned a Stoke player and Gallen hinting at experience could Sam Vokes be a possibility 
    An older player happy to at least initially start as cover might be the way we can bring in a striker to compete with Stockley. I don't see a young player joining on loan to do that, their club will want almost guaranteed game time. Not saying Vokes is necessarily that player and a realistic target, I assume he'd have to take a big wage cut.
  • Redrobo said:
    Sam Vokes would be an interesting signing. Maybe Stoke would loan.
    Beat you to that one. 25th June. 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the person who mentioned signing an Stoke player, while an all-round good guy and definitely in the know, was making a joke after Bob Munro, who lives in a two up two down in Stoke, said that we'd be signing a player very soon.
  • I remember well Fulham spending 100m before being relegated then spending 30m more and failing to get promoted.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I remember well Fulham spending 100m before being relegated then spending 30m more and failing to get promoted.
    Whilst it can go wrong I think it’s a little different. Ipswich have hoovered up a lot of proven L1 talent. Fulham spent a lot on upcoming (yet unproven) players.

They have a manager that knows how to get promoted. I just can’t see them doing poorly.
  • Aren’t they spunking US pensioners money? What could go wrong…
  • Probably have an underwhelming start but then as they start to become more cohesive they will run away with it 
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Laddick01 said:
    WSS said:
    It makes a lot of sense. Wouldn’t read too much into it.

If you can get into the top 6 you’re going to be there or thereabouts in terms of promotion. 
    Three of the top six will not get promoted.

What happened to "blow this league out the water"?

And the five-year plan to get to the Premier League?

Yes, yes ... I'm delighted that we have a genuine owner, and that we are not being run by spivs etc.  And that we have a Club to support.

But the goalposts seemed to have moved dramatically since Sandgaard first took over.

Me?  I'll settle for a ten-year plan.

Maybe time for Sandgaard to articulate the new long-term vision.  Because, sure as Hell, the original hyperbole ain't gonna happen.  
    If TS talked about the long term plans again I doubt he'd say anything has changed. I think he's so optimistic (or naive/deluded depending on your view) he feels we can win the league without spending like Ipswich or Wigan.

It looks like he believes it can be done through intelligent recruitment and investment in the right areas. Finding good value for money rather than outspending everyone.

He's also patient and probably expects to bring in some bargains and quality loans as we move towards the end of the window. There are clubs out there that will need the money and good players out of contract getting their last payment from their previous contract this month.

If he gets it wrong this season he'll end up spending a lot more on another promotion attempt than had he gone for it a bit more this summer. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, for me we still need 4/5 signings as a minimum, ideally a few more than that.
  • Shrewsbury target Sam Vokes is likely to be heading elsewhere from Stoke this summer, boss Steve Cotterill has conceded.
    Source? 
  • WSS said:
    Christ on a bike.  The top 6 includes the top 2.  But lets assume that recruitment is such a fine art as to be able to differentiate between top 2 and top 6.  Presumably Lincoln City targeted their restricted recruitment at a top 6 but no promotion campaign on the grounds that they could not sustain a successful season in the championship?
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Shrewsbury target Sam Vokes is likely to be heading elsewhere from Stoke this summer, boss Steve Cotterill has conceded.
    Source? 
    https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2021/07/23/sam-vokes-heading-out-of-stoke--but-not-to-shrewsbury-town/
  • So are we signing anyone tomorrow?
  • edited July 2021
    But which new era Chris Kamara?

I don't know Jeff! 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Shrewsbury target Sam Vokes is likely to be heading elsewhere from Stoke this summer, boss Steve Cotterill has conceded.
    Source? 
    Sam Vokes heading out of Stoke – but not to Shrewsbury Town | Shropshire Star
  • Laddick01 said:
    It’s going to be hilarious if Ipswich don’t go up.

Paul Cook in charge of that squad though could absolutely run away with it. They’ve done sensational business.

Paul Cook is an undoubtably good manager, but throwing money at this league has never guaranteed you promotion and like Parkinson, he often takes a little while to get going at a club. If that happens here, you can imagine the place will get quite toxic quite quickly.

It normally guarantees you a top 8 slot. But with the unpredictability of the pitches and weather in the winter is a great leveller and even the best teams can go on bad runs.

I just like all the things I’m hearing coming out of the club at the moment. Let’s build properly and sustainably. 

I know it’s just a name mentioned with no substance, but Sam Vokes would be an outstanding signing even just for a season long loan. His strength and power in the last 20 mins on a tiring defence would replace Aneke really well.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I remember well Fulham spending 100m before being relegated then spending 30m more and failing to get promoted.
    Fulham had a guy doing their recruitment that was also running a major wrestling promotion and an NFL football team.

Absolute joke of a guy spunking daddy's money up 3 walls at once.  Knows fuck all about any of them. 
  • So are we signing anyone tomorrow?
    No mate, we signed them last week.
    They're standing in a line in the dark next to Bartram's statue holding up scarves  and wondering when the feck the photographer is going to take their picture  ;)
  • Sage said:
    Paul Cook is an excellent manager and would be surprised if Ipswich fail to get promoted this coming season. They’ve done some excellent business, albeit spending a lot of money. But Cook is proven and knows how to win a league and if it wasn’t for administration, would’ve kept Wigan up the other year.
    Ipswich haven't really spent that much money though, not as much as some make out.  Piggot, on a 3 year contract, probably cost more or less the same as Stockley.

They signed Fraser but they got all their top earners off the wage bill last season, including not playing Judge so he didn't trigger a clause.  They have also sold a couple of players to the championship.

The same with Wigan they have increased their wage bill, a lot, but I suspect its still in the same ball park as us cos it was probably bugger all by the end of last season. 
  • RedRobin said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Source? 
    https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2021/07/23/sam-vokes-heading-out-of-stoke--but-not-to-shrewsbury-town/
    Cheers.  
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!