Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• No sign of a signing,  again.
    Give it time. Kane needs to get back down from Manchester. Will be done by 18:00. 
  • mendonca said:
    I'm surprised how many likes another "one more done, no other info" gets still. There is zero useful information in this whatsoever. Remember the same was said a few weeks back and the player allegedly failed a medical. 

I just keep an eye out for the DONE DEAL on newsnow.
    See my last response to @addick1965
  • If there is going to be a signing, then surely it'll be announced today? They wouldn't announce a signing on the same day as a game and if they wait til monday then they've got the kit announcement too ...
  • edited July 2021
    If it is Viv Solomon Otabor I look forward to the meltdown because of his medical issue. 

I'm guessing it's between him and Gomes. 
  • If there is going to be a signing, then surely it'll be announced today? They wouldn't announce a signing on the same day as a game and if they wait til monday then they've got the kit announcement too ...
    I think signings could coincide with the kit release, unless playing tomorrow.
  • Really lost. Which Gomes are we talking about? 
  • edited July 2021
    esseffect said:
    Really lost. Which Gomes are we talking about? 
    Selena (Gomez, but who cares).
  • Sponsored links:

• esseffect said:
    Adams.
    Careful mate you’ll get a pm from someone accusing you of singing ‘the song’ 🙄
  • esseffect said:
    It was suggest Madger Gomes was on a trial.
  • esseffect said:
    Larry Gomes, great West Indian batsman

I just looked him up, and he's 68 now, that's depressing!
  • mendonca said:
    I'm surprised how many likes another "one more done, no other info" gets still. There is zero useful information in this whatsoever. Remember the same was said a few weeks back and the player allegedly failed a medical. 

I just keep an eye out for the DONE DEAL on newsnow.
    One more done, no other info...
    Oh, no .... not another Ronnie Moore!  :smiley:

• Don’t think Madger Gomes solves our need for a couple of wingers. He would be coming in as a 7th centre mid body.
  • VFR4life said:
    Has told him he wants to move to london
    Off to Sunderland then.
  • esseffect said:
    Larry Gomes, great West Indian batsman

I just looked him up, and he's 68 now, that's depressing!
    Perhaps the Viv we are linked with is Viv Richards and not Solomon- Otobor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems like Madger Gomes was a bit of a squad player for Doncaster last season. 

Wouldn't be a player that fills me with excitement but suppose he's the correct age (24) and maybe Adkins/scouting department sees something in him. 

He was on trial at the beginning of the month with Portsmouth so either they passed on him, or he is shopping himself around. 
  • It's 5 o'clock Friday and we've waited all afternoon for the public proclaimation of our new "it's done" signing.

Who's turn is it to be hung, drawn and quartered today? We need a scapegoat and soon, because I need to go and finish painting my shed in a minute!

• ButtleJR said:
    I'm not sure where we've got the impression Gomes is a winger? Everywhere I've looked his predominant playing position is CM?
    Correct I was responding to someone asking who the signing might be, not their position. 
  • 🎵We all dream of a team of centre mids…
  • Overall, how would you assess Madger Gomes' two years at Doncaster?

To be honest, Gomes was on the fringes in the main.

Although he made a decent number of appearances, his outings from the outset were restricted.

Part of that was because he didn't play an awful lot so he would pick up injuries fairly easily.

He had a decent run in the team at one point last season but got injured. Then after returning to fitness, he got injured again straight away, so that hindered him.

Gomes had a really good start to last season when he scored four goals in the opening five games. It looked like he'd been working on stuff since the 20219-20 campaign was curtailed (because of the coronavirus outbreak).

What hurt him at Rovers, certainly under Darren Moore, is they played a 4-2-3-1 formation and it was difficult for Gomes to nail down a specific position.

He played in the number-10 role, on the left-hand side sometimes and in the deep-lying role.

It was difficult for him to nail down a position and he ended up featuring in that deep-lying role more - that wasn't particularly his strongest position.

It's probably difficult to know how good he actually is because we never got to see Gomes over a consistent period and he never established him.

He didn't particularly impress but there are caveats to that.

What would you say his best position is then?

Certainly, featuring somewhere in the middle of the park but not as a defensive-midfielder.

He'd be best as a box-to-box midfielder in a 4-4-2 system.

Gomes isn't rapidly quick but looked to have a decent engine on him.

He can get around the pitch. Being a busy player is probably his best attribute.

Gomes gets into positions but can also close the opposition down.

Gomes' involvement dwindled after Andy Butler took over as interim-manager following Darren Moore's exit. Why was that?

To be honest, I don't think Andy fancied him. I just don't think Gomes favoured what Andy wanted to do.

So it was no surprise he was released at the end of the season as he'd been on the fringes.

Because Rovers knew there was going to be a big turnover and they were going to have to rebuild, they thought it'd be more beneficial to free the money up from their budget rather than keeping him.

Were you surprised when you found out he was on trial at Pompey?

I was surprised, yes. You think Pompey will again be competing at the top end of League One.

I thought Gomes would probably be taking a step down - whether that's to a League One club further down the table or down to League Two.

If Pompey were to sign Gomes, is he capable of being part of a team pushing for promotion?

From what I have seen, he would be as a squad player.

Whether you see him week in, week out, I don't know but I can't really say at this point because I've not seen him do that myself.

If he got a run of games, it might make a difference for him but I couldn't really say he'd be starting every week.

However, as a squad player, Gomes could do a job.

• edited July 2021
    🎵We all dream of a team of centre mids…
    Hello Lee, how many CMs will you have at Birmingham this year?
  • That article is pretty informative. You'd have thought central midfielders would be a low priority now, when we have academy players like Dempsey, Henry and Vennings in the wings
  • Oggy Red said:
    It's 5 o'clock Friday and we've waited all afternoon for the public proclaimation of our new "it's done" signing.

Who's turn is it to be hung, drawn and quartered today? We need a scapegoat and soon, because I need to go and finish painting my shed in a minute!

Well volunteered!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!