Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• I really dont understand how Paul Mullin hasnt signed for someone yet

The bloke has had one decent season in LEAGUE TWO - He surely shouldn't have this much weight over League One teams, especially if there are some bigger teams after him
    I don't think he's got that much weight. He's probably holding out knowing that his record last season will get some interest but either someone will make an offer he likes or it will get closer to deadline day and he'll drop his demands if no-one is meeting them.

Nearly every single club is more cagey than usual at the moment and it's definitely having a knock on effect. Yes you've got a few clubs that have thrown money around but I am very sure that (for instance) Wigan are currently being quoted much higher prices for targets than we are because they've shown their hand already.
  • arny23394 said:

Which Charlton striker has the initials JD?
  • I really like Davison.  I don’t know if it would be the right move to have him as our fourth choice, but I would be up for giving him a run 
  • Bowyer threw young players under the bus = Charlton life melt down

adkins praises young striker in public = Charlton life meltdown

Davison was used by bowyer two years ago when he wasn’t ready and he didn’t let himself down. He didn’t cover himself in glory on loan but the loan may have turned a boy into a man. I would be happy to have him in the squad and playing in cup games over a premiership loan or a one season wonder like mullin.
    Davison isn't an academy product who's been with us 10 years, only playing academy football, and who needed a loan to "toughen him up in men's football".

We signed him from Enfield Town where he had a successful season after being released by Peterborough
  • Saying 'Davidson is good enough' is clearly a cover for the fact we've been priced out of getting a good replacement for Aneke. 

Going into this season with clearly worse striking options than last season. 
    Or is that worse striking options in the last 20 minutes of the game?
  • It's all smoke and mirrors, Mullin has signed last Saturday...Maybe Ollie has been filming a week long reveal...

• Saying 'Davidson is good enough' is clearly a cover for the fact we've been priced out of getting a good replacement for Aneke. 

The window hasn't closed yet.
  • edited July 2021
    Sage said:
    Chunes said:
    Only two other teams scored more goals than us last season... And yet we still had a thread titled: "Where are the goals going to come from?"

More of the same.
    3 other teams scored more than us last season.

We have lost our top scorer who got 15, but also because of his presence caused us to score more goals even if it wasn’t him putting the ball in the back of the net.

Take out that contribution of just Aneke’s goals and we would have had 55, only 8 teams scoring fewer.

We won’t get near the total of goals we scored last season with the current 4 strikers. Davison is not Aneke. We need to bring in a striker and would be very disappointed if we don’t.
    But we wouldn't have been playing with ten men without Aneke, and whoever would have replaced him would have chipped in.
    Still pretty sure we'll bring in a striker/winger.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Saying 'Davidson is good enough' is clearly a cover for the fact we've been priced out of getting a good replacement for Aneke. 

The window hasn't closed yet.
    What happened to ," A good preseason is essential "?
    If the core of the squad has a good preseason those outside of it should be able to catch up if they have been training with their previous clubs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    I don’t think people are having a meltdown. Fans are allowed to believe that the strike force as it is right now is not strong enough and will put enormous pressure on Stockley.

Aneke may have only scored one for us previous to last season, but he had proven it at this level before. I remember this time last year saying he’ll be an asset and being laughed at. He was a fantastic player at this level who unfortunately couldn’t last a full game. But when he played he made a huge difference.

Without that additional quality up front, you can see why people believe we will find it harder this season. I don’t find that being negative, to me that is being realistic.

If Stockley was to miss a chunk of the season, we would see the quality in the attack drop dramatically. That’s not a criticism of Davison because he has potential, I just don’t see anything that says he will be at the level required to get promoted this season.
    Speaking for myself (as somebody who opposed the view) it was more coming from an angle that we appear to be writing off us actually signing a striker with many weeks left before the window closes. I trust the club and if they genuinely think Davidson is up to it then time will tell, but I do think it's more a game of public poker with inflated club prices for League One strikers.
  • What's happened to the winger that was very close to signing? 
    Tyreece Campbell?  ;)
  • Vfrf said:
    Sage said:
    I don’t think people are having a meltdown. Fans are allowed to believe that the strike force as it is right now is not strong enough and will put enormous pressure on Stockley.

Aneke may have only scored one for us previous to last season, but he had proven it at this level before. I remember this time last year saying he’ll be an asset and being laughed at. He was a fantastic player at this level who unfortunately couldn’t last a full game. But when he played he made a huge difference.

Without that additional quality up front, you can see why people believe we will find it harder this season. I don’t find that being negative, to me that is being realistic.

If Stockley was to miss a chunk of the season, we would see the quality in the attack drop dramatically. That’s not a criticism of Davison because he has potential, I just don’t see anything that says he will be at the level required to get promoted this season.
    Speaking for myself (as somebody who opposed the view) it was more coming from an angle that we appear to be writing off us actually signing a striker with many weeks left before the window closes. I trust the club and if they genuinely think Davidson is up to it then time will tell, but I do think it's more a game of public poker with inflated club prices for League One strikers.
    Adkins said himself that he's been really impressed with Davison in pre-season.

I think I'll leave judgement to the experts.

• Sage said:

This. Feels like you can only be too optimistic or too pessimistic on the forum these days, and are criticised either way. 

I think Schwartz will go though, so maybe Davison will just be 4th choice and we'll bring one in. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Vfrf said:
    Sage said:

Your right…. Davison got the build to be a very good striker , he did ok for us in the championship for a few games but saw him play for FGR and he looked awful at times .. suppose it’s last chance saloon for him .. good luck to him 

• JamesSeed said:
    Sage said:
    Chunes said:
    Only two other teams scored more goals than us last season... And yet we still had a thread titled: "Where are the goals going to come from?"

More of the same.
    3 other teams scored more than us last season.

We have lost our top scorer who got 15, but also because of his presence caused us to score more goals even if it wasn’t him putting the ball in the back of the net.

Take out that contribution of just Aneke’s goals and we would have had 55, only 8 teams scoring fewer.

We won’t get near the total of goals we scored last season with the current 4 strikers. Davison is not Aneke. We need to bring in a striker and would be very disappointed if we don’t.
    But we wouldn't have been playing with ten men without Aneke, and whoever would have replaced him would have chipped in.
    Still pretty sure we'll bring in a striker/winger.
    Not necessarily, we had Bogle and Smyth remember, neither were of the required standard either. Just because we have someone else doesn’t mean they’re going to be good enough or replace that impact.
  • Who was it that suggested Gomes was training with us?

A quick google suggests last season was his first full season so 3 goals and 3 assists whilst not phenomenal isn't awful.

Any updates on his progress?
  • Oggy Red said:
    Vfrf said:
    Sage said:

Me too - I said as much on the previous page.
  • Sponsored links:

• From the few times I’ve seen him, I think he is a good finisher.
  • Davison needs a good hair cut before he gets my support.
    Short back and sides and a bit off the top eh,  B)
  • Maccn05 said:
    So so two weeks ago everyone was saying we shouldn’t sign Mullen (L2’s top scorer) as he was a one season wonder but now we’re happy to have Davison - a no season wonder who wasn’t scoring or even good enough to start for a promotion chasing FGR…. How does that work happy clappers?

He’s a physical presence and a willing runner but in the 5 or 6 games I seen him in it’s clear he’s not a natural finisher and doesn’t have any guile to his game.

Adkins is telling us he’s in the squad because we can’t afford to buy an Eisa (bid confirmed by Darragh) but MK can. We are doing this on the cheap.

If Jayden is injured and JD starts we aren’t going up and we also have nothing off the bench to change or save a game. 

Let’s hope we sign our Malik Wilks 
    Peterbro chairman did not mention us by name and Richard Cawley denied we made any bid at all … don’t think paying 800,000 for two players is doing it on the cheap we just not paying the stupid prices that we are being quoted …
  • Running out of time to announce the new sponsor "this week" aren't we?
  • edited July 2021
    sam3110 said:
    Running out of time to announce the new sponsor "this week" aren't we?
    "Kit sponsors: Charlton and Charlton Athletic Women’s kit sponsors for the 2021/22 season are set to be confirmed this week"

Doesn't say announced does it?

If they did the kit photos yesterday I would say it has been confirmed, wouldn't you? 
  • Davison needs a good hair cut before he gets my support.
    Jealousy is a terrible trait 
  • thought Monday was mentioned
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!