Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Swisdom said:
    Davison has outscored Stockley in preseason. Just saying
    And Washington or the same? Did Washington score against Celtic?
  • if we we are getting quoted stupid money for league one strikers and as I said before one other target club can’t decide if they want him to go or not .. others that are out there NA and the team feel are no better then what we got so why not give what we got a chance .. the window don’t shut till Sept and some of these players and teams like NA said might start to get a bit jittery and prices and demands drop …one thing we have learnt about SG is he plays the waiting waiting game very well 
  • if we we are getting quoted stupid money for league one strikers and as I said before one other target club can’t decide if they want him to go or not .. others that are out there NA and the team feel are no better then what we got so why not give what we got a chance .. the window don’t shut till Sept and some of these players and teams like NA said might start to get a bit jittery and prices and demands drop …one thing we have learnt about SG is he plays the waiting waiting game very well 
    It's a fair point, AMB was going to be #1 if Amos went, then he wasn't. Plans can change on a dime and if an affordable improvement is available closer to the winder when clubs sort their finalised squads, I'm sure we'd stretch to sign them and get JD more minutes elsewhere.
  • edited July 2021
    Sage said:
    Chunes said:
    Only two other teams scored more goals than us last season... And yet we still had a thread titled: "Where are the goals going to come from?"

More of the same.
    3 other teams scored more than us last season.

We have lost our top scorer who got 15, but also because of his presence caused us to score more goals even if it wasn’t him putting the ball in the back of the net.

Take out that contribution of just Aneke’s goals and we would have had 55, only 8 teams scoring fewer.

We won’t get near the total of goals we scored last season with the current 4 strikers. Davison is not Aneke. We need to bring in a striker and would be very disappointed if we don’t.
    You can’t just take anekes goals away from last season and say only 8 scored fewer.  We did have aneke and he did score them.

To spin it, if we scored all our pens and didn’t hit the woodwork 17 times, we may have been top scorers.

we can only judge aneke being gone this season coming, where Davisson/DJ and any new signings will hopefully chip into anekes 15 which won’t make us 9th bottom in goals
  • It kind of makes me think of the early 90s years when we were a combination of youngsters, out of favour players from unfashionable clubs, combined with some nice loans.

One of my favourite times supporting Charlton.

That was in the championship. Not sure how I feel about that in league one.
    I'd be perfectly happy being a sensibly run Championship side, not under serious threat of relegation and with a chance of the playoffs. Which is what we were in the 90s until 97/98. And dare I say it, how Millwall are at the moment...

That level of achievement isn't acceptable in L1 though. For a club our size, top 6 is the minimum you'd expect and a serious push for the automatics. Even under Roland, after one poor season, this was followed by 6th and 3rd place finishes.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've no problem with Davison being around, and yes he did play well on Saturday - against a 6th tier club - but I'd be very disappointed if he ended up our main central striker if Stockley got injured.

Last season he got 3 goals in the NL and 3 goals in L2, not exactly evidence that he will score in L1
  • Don't see the issue, it's great for his confidence and probably helps us avoid being bent over during negotiations with agents. 
  • Redhenry said:
    hey, if they say he's good enough, then he probably is. They see the guy every day!
    Either that or its a message he's sending to other players / clubs.

"Oh well if you wont accept our offer we'll just play our kids"

Especially as there will be teams who'll be struggling financially this summer who are probably holding out for more for a bit of stability.
    But only if the other clubs actually believe you

If City went to Spurs "If you don't accept our offer for Kane we'll stick with Jesus and give Liam Delap more games" nobody would believe them
  • edited July 2021
    I would be a lot happier if NA acknowledged that Davison was not good enough in his loans last season, but has somehow kicked on since then. Otherwise it looks like desperation brought on by lack of success in recruiting a new striker.

There's a fine line between positive thinking and mindless optimism. I hope NA knows exactly where that line is.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    I think he probably is good enough to play a part this season and that's probably the intention. But maybe this article is also an attempt to move a deal along.
  • Not sure I like the idea of Davison being a replacement for Aneke 
    I don't believe he is. Davison is cover for Stockley, should he get injured or suspended.

• Vfrf said:
    I would be a lot happier if NA acknowledged that Davison was not good enough in his loans last season, but has somehow kicked on since then. Otherwise it looks like desperation brought on by lack of success in recruiting a new striker.
    You honestly think they'd give up three weeks before the window closes and just throw the towel in? Not to mention the free market after that if he was so desperate :D
    No I don't. But there may be a loss of confidence that a successful outcome can be achieved, given the limits of the club's current circumstances.
  • Vfrf said:
    You honestly think they'd give up three weeks before the window closes and just throw the towel in? Not to mention the free market after that if he was so desperate :D
    No I don't. But there may be a loss of confidence that a successful outcome can be achieved, given the limits of the club's current circumstances.
    Is that not basically the same thing? If anything it's media manipulation to tell other clubs we don't need a striker but may still sign one if they're going to be fair on price.
  • Wonder when the next body will arrive as we are still light on proven squad numbers.
    There will be new signings still to come, both permanents and loans.

• Vfrf said:
    Vfrf said:
    Is that not basically the same thing? If anything it's media manipulation to tell other clubs we don't need a striker but may still sign one if they're going to be fair on price.
    Two different possibilities:
    1. We give up. Davison is our man.
    2. We're gonna keep trying, but frankly it doesn't look hopeful as things stand, so we may have to make do with Davison.

I'm suggesting that no.2 MIGHT be the case.
  • The fans will always give a young player a chance more so then a expensive striker coming in … 

but as I say the window don’t shut till Sept he has a chance to make a calm or we go and get someone in … 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!