Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Vfrf said:
    Vfrf said:
    I would be a lot happier if NA acknowledged that Davison was not good enough in his loans last season, but has somehow kicked on since then. Otherwise it looks like desperation brought on by lack of success in recruiting a new striker.
    You honestly think they'd give up three weeks before the window closes and just throw the towel in? Not to mention the free market after that if he was so desperate :D
    No I don't. But there may be a loss of confidence that a successful outcome can be achieved, given the limits of the club's current circumstances.
    Is that not basically the same thing? If anything it's media manipulation to tell other clubs we don't need a striker but may still sign one if they're going to be fair on price.
    Exactly 
  • edited July 2021
    Vfrf said:
    Vfrf said:
    I would be a lot happier if NA acknowledged that Davison was not good enough in his loans last season, but has somehow kicked on since then. Otherwise it looks like desperation brought on by lack of success in recruiting a new striker.
    You honestly think they'd give up three weeks before the window closes and just throw the towel in? Not to mention the free market after that if he was so desperate :D
    No I don't. But there may be a loss of confidence that a successful outcome can be achieved, given the limits of the club's current circumstances.
    Is that not basically the same thing? If anything it's media manipulation to tell other clubs we don't need a striker but may still sign one if they're going to be fair on price.
    Two different possibilities:
    1. We give up. Davison is our man.
    2. We're gonna keep trying, but frankly it doesn't look hopeful as things stand, so we may have to make do with Davison.

I'm suggesting that no.2 MIGHT be the case.
    Haha, those days are gone, maybe last season...If he plays it will be purely on merit
  • edited July 2021
    Mullin  League 2 top scorer - 4th choice - oNe SeaSoN WoNdER, LeAgUe 2 StAnDaRd, nOt PrOvEn tHoUgH.

Davison League 2 3 goal scorer - 4th choice - Fair enough give the lad a chance, clearly seen something.

* I have no problem with Davison being used by the way, and no way is he the Aneke replacement, Stockley back up. Fully expect a prem loanee fwd to come in, but, context.

😬😬😬
  • Vfrf said:
    Vfrf said:
    2. We're gonna keep trying, but frankly it doesn't look hopeful as things stand, so we may have to make do with Davison.

Ok mate lol
  • Redhenry said:
    Vfrf said:
    Vfrf said:

Haha, those days are gone, maybe last season...If he plays it will be purely on merit

I'm not ITK, So I can only pray that is so.
  • What’s happened to the 2 that were close 
    No cigar 
    They’re locked inside the valley still in full kit. Gotta keep the secret safe until the 26th.
  • I really dont understand how Paul Mullin hasnt signed for someone yet

The bloke has had one decent season in LEAGUE TWO - He surely shouldn't have this much weight over League One teams, especially if there are some bigger teams after him
    Close only counts in horse shoes and handgrandes. 
  • Sponsored links:

The bloke has had one decent season in LEAGUE TWO - He surely shouldn't have this much weight over League One teams, especially if there are some bigger teams after him

I'd guess there's been Champ interest and a handful of L2 players have jumped straight up already so probably a case of waiting on them,  championship clubs XYZ don't get their fancy backup striker signing, then it's "hi Paul!"

And I guess from his point of view... Be Charlton's backup striker on 3k a week for 2 years or be QPR's for 7k a week.

I’m guessing it’s because he has a few options and is biding his time for the best deal. 
  • follett said:
    Davison had a couple of decent games in the championship for us. He's fast and strong with a good finish, don't see any issue with him being one of our options this season
    Fast?

For that matter where is Mullin training at the moment? At least Tucker is still a Gillingham player so can do a normal pre season with them
  • follett said:
    Davison had a couple of decent games in the championship for us. He's fast and strong with a good finish, don't see any issue with him being one of our options this season
    He has 1 goal for us on what basis is that a decent finish?
  • ButtleJR said:
    Just seen a video from a pre season match between Portsmouth and Bristol city where Portsmouth had to borrow a City player, who then scored, as they were short for players. This was only 2 days ago. Think we're in a much better situation than many.
    They had about 7 trialists as well.  They are well behind us but there is still a lot of waiting going on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    Just seen a video from a pre season match between Portsmouth and Bristol city where Portsmouth had to borrow a City player, who then scored, as they were short for players. This was only 2 days ago. Think we're in a much better situation than many.
    That’s unbelievable really. How embarrassing for Pompey. Surely taking along a few of their kids and putting them in would have been preferable. Unless Cowley was trying to make a point to the owner.
  • follett said:
    He has 1 goal for us on what basis is that a decent finish?
    I meant in general, not in the handful of appearances he's had for us

For that matter where is Mullin training at the moment? At least Tucker is still a Gillingham player so can do a normal pre season with them
    That's the issue isn't it, last season we had a number of players that didn't do preseason anywhere.  I think Gunter did with Reading but a lot of the others didn't.  Yet only Ronnie gets a pass.

This season even if 1 or 2 are 2 or 3 weeks behind hopefully we won't have to throw them straight in and they can catch up quite quickly. 
  • Rather see players come through the academy, the fans will give them both more time and encouragement rather than buying a player in the hope he settles, fits into the style of play hits the ground running all the old b******s that normally comes out.

• edited July 2021

Last March, Scoham posted a link to a good interview with Davison. Before writing the player off, perhaps some people might want to read it?

Scoham said:
    Good interview, interesting he was the target man at Woking and then running the channels and playing off the big man at Forest Green.

• A few overreactions here re Davison. I'd love him to do really well this season.

Stockley is our main man so I'd be happy enough with Davison getting some minutes here and there and maybe a PL loan as another option up top.
    I don't think it's a priority area anyway, we desperately do need these wingers that everyone keeps talking about though.
    everybody wants him to do well but you can have reservations about if he is good enough. 
    I hope he proves me wrong and is in double figures by Christmas
  • edited July 2021

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!