Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• CH4RLTON said:
    Im guessing this is a lot of work for someome which is why it hasn't been done but is there any chance we can have a bite size rumours thread or an actual rumours thread , for the casual punter who likes a quick check up every now and then without having to scroll through 6 pages of moaning about being no rumours, fish puns, bitching,drooling over ex players and general chit chat
    Aliwibble did it but she's still suffering from long covid.
    Anyway, there are no rumours at all.
  • Rothko said:
    I forgot this is the first window without Freedom of Movement, which is mainly a restriction for EFL teams, as Premier League clubs can buy in the exempted group 
    Without doing any sort of research I'd say that League 1 squads are probably 95% made up with British players. 

I dont think not being able to pick up a player from Estonia, Belgium or Spain is the reason why we haven't signed that many players......
    We signed someone???

Shortest hiatus ever Golfie ;)
    Sorry.....just cant keep away.

It's a drug & I'm hooked  !!

When the fun stops, stop!
  • sam3110 said:
    To have a bite size rumours thread, first you need rumours
    It’s not even a nibble size thread at the moment!!! 😂
  • barstool said:
    Surely the rules of maths are that if all the teams are lower by an average of 8 on previous year players there must be a huge stockpile of talent somewhere?  Some may have retired but additionally a few youth players will join first teams to compensate. 
    I can't find the article but I remember reading something from the PFA last summer about how the number of free agents is at an all time high. This doesn't surprise me, even clubs at the very top are feeling the pinch, presumably squad sizes have been reduced slightly in line with budget reductions. 

Previously your 4th choice centre back would've been a 26 year old on a two year deal, post-covid, these squad players are the first to go and they're replaced by a not quite ready academy player. I wouldn't be surprised if the average squad size has reduced to compensate for the smaller budgets, spreading yourself thinly with depth rather than focusing on key players seems illogical.

Certainly Ipswich appear to have followed this plan so far, this summer they have released many experienced more expensive squad men (Skuse, Chambers, and Sears etc) to make way for a strong first XI - a decent mix of loanees, undisclosed fees and free transfers. 

As the good free agents have now pretty much been taken, I suspect we'll see a real uptake in loans in the coming weeks, particularly as we get to the start of the season and those further up the food chain decide who they can let go temporarily. Wigan have shot so far ahead because they've maximised their use of the free agent market and I doubt there will be many more players for them to sign. 
  • edited July 2021
    Charts like the above are all well and good however it does not reflect our situation. Yes it seems all league one clubs are struggling to recruit and are keeping the same squads, however:

6 teams finished above last season so in keeping the same squads they could well do it again.

We have not kept the same squad, we have let players go including our 15 goal top scorer.  

The 3 x teams that came down from the Championship will be strong as well.

Maybe I’ve read that chart incorrectly, but surely it shows that sides aren’t keeping the same squad, with 10 sides having at least 8 less players. Sheffield Wednesday and Rotherham currently each have 11 less players than the end of the season, so no guarantee they will be strong. Again, I might have completely misread the table. 
    Don't forget those figures will include clubs' last season's players on loan, who have returned to their parent clubs.

For example, in Charlton's case:
    5 senior players released at end of contract;
    2 further players released because they refused new contract and signed elsewhere.
    5 loanees returned to their parent club but 1 re-signed on permanent contract.

Net total: 11 players left the club.

No doubt it's a similar story at most clubs in this division.

• CH4RLTON said:
    Im guessing this is a lot of work for someome which is why it hasn't been done but is there any chance we can have a bite size rumours thread or an actual rumours thread , for the casual punter who likes a quick check up every now and then without having to scroll through 6 pages of moaning about being no rumours, fish puns, bitching,drooling over ex players and general chit chat
    Just do what I do, only read the posts with loads of likes.
    Are you stalking me 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Just do what I do, only read the posts with loads of likes.
    That means I will have to go through and like every comment to make you suffer like the rest of us  :)
  • Any news on Lyle ??
  • Any news on Lyle ??
    Yes, it's still sweet
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Rothko said:
    I forgot this is the first window without Freedom of Movement, which is mainly a restriction for EFL teams, as Premier League clubs can buy in the exempted group 
    Without doing any sort of research I'd say that League 1 squads are probably 95% made up with British players. 

I dont think not being able to pick up a player from Estonia, Belgium or Spain is the reason why we haven't signed that many players......
    We signed someone???

You could always ask the mods for a time out 😉
    That reminds about Seth Plum. Does anyone know if he's still banned or is he taking a voluntary leave of absence? 
    @PaddyP17 might be prepared to shed some light 🤔.

RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Rothko said:

We signed someone???

That reminds about Seth Plum. Does anyone know if he's still banned or is he taking a voluntary leave of absence? 
    I don't suppose it's any of my business but I did quite liked Seth's posts. Not that I usually agreed with him but I appreciated that he wasn't worried about filtering his opinions.
    AFKA mentioned a little while ago that Seth was indeed restricted from posting.

However it is disappointing in the extreme that there has been zero communication with Seth, from any of the mod team, since the ban was issued, despite him emailing in to clarify what's up. (He was going to be contacted within seven days according to the most recent email and it's now been a couple of months)
    @AFKABartram over to you.
  • edited July 2021
    Probably to do with his song, hope we have signings lined up as it’s a lot of build up and I’m not too fussed about a song at this point 😂
  • PaddyP17 said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Rothko said:

We signed someone???

RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Rothko said:

We signed someone???

I don't suppose it's any of my business but I did quite liked Seth's posts. Not that I usually agreed with him but I appreciated that he wasn't worried about filtering his opinions.

However it is disappointing in the extreme that there has been zero communication with Seth, from any of the mod team, since the ban was issued, despite him emailing in to clarify what's up. (He was going to be contacted within seven days according to the most recent email and it's now been a couple of months)
    FREE SETH!!!!!
  • Scoham said:

Next year's review of our accounts:

"Charlton may have significantly reduced out goings, year-on year, for vehicle leases and consultant fees, but the saving were almost entirely offset by increased spending on drone footage and studio time."
  • edited July 2021
    There's no disguising it Thomas is a showman, and obviously likes to play the crowd, in this instance it's us, can't wait for the BIG reveal B)
  • Sponsored links:

• RedRobin said:
    Probably to do with his song, hope we have signings lined up as it’s a lot of build up and I’m not too fussed about a song at this point 😂
    Either his song or the new kit.
  • There's no disguising it Thomas is a showman, and obviously like to play the crowd, in this instance it's us, can't wait for the BIG reveal B)
    For this reason it wouldn't surprise me to see a big signing on deadline day just to cause a stir on twitter
  • It had better be something significant otherwise the accusations of hyping up nothing will re emerge. Kit and sponsorship is my guess.
  • The sponsor is due to be revealed this week, the kit not until next Monday
  • Dazzler21 said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Need a mod for that.
    Was that not why you dropped Tommy a message? 😉
  • PaddyP17 said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Rothko said:

We signed someone???

RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Rothko said:

We signed someone???

Have you also given them a nudge/prod/reminder/complaint or just gone straight in there with this very public calling out?

This heat is getting to too many of us, I fear.
  • Sounds like demolition of The Valley starts soon 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!